Tzeentchian Daemons + Soulgrinder added 26/8

MrManson

Hi everyone!

Just thought I should show my latest daemons, painted in time for the coming codex. I really like the chess-/checkerboard-theme on my Flamers and Lord of Change, and will probably redo the bases on the Horrors to match them. It just feels a bit intimidating to do twenty bases right now. What do you think?

gallery_18697_2087_43096.jpg

The entire collection, Lord of Change, 5 Flamers and 2x10 Horrors including Icon and potential champion/special weapon.

gallery_18697_2087_200225.jpg

Close-up of the Lord of Change. Love the old model!

gallery_18697_2087_113335.jpg

As the weaver of fate, the Lord of Change controls everything, and has used his 'chessboard of destiny' to set up an ambush for some unfortunate Dark Angels (the Brass-coloured marines heralds from my DIY Chaos Space Marine chapter. And I know, Dark Angels aren't supposed to have red trims on their shoulder pads, but they looked so boring without them.)

C&C welcome and appreciated as always!

/Manson

Cool work on the base. I'm a confirmed old model fan, I always bust out old school stuff and paint it up spiffy and people are always impressed. I just think painting in general has come a long way. Most GW sculpts are pretty decent and the older models generally have more room for freehand.

Thanks everyone! The skewed chess board-thingie seems to be a hit amongst you, so tonight I've started redoing the bases for the Horrors as well. Will post pictures when they are done.

Cool work on the base. I'm a confirmed old model fan, I always bust out old school stuff and paint it up spiffy and people are always impressed. I just think painting in general has come a long way. Most GW sculpts are pretty decent and the older models generally have more room for freehand.

I definately agree, especially the old Chaos models contains so much character and works really well in newer colour schemes.

The first unit of Horrors is rebased (thanks to you guys!)

I dread rebasing the second squad though. Not that the base-making in itself was hard, but having to repaint the bottom part of each horror as I had to cut away the old bases was a draining experience. But I will persevere. Eventually.

gallery_18697_2087_78308.jpg

Wow, thanks a lot folks!

TheProphet: The Icons are simply made from plasticard, with details painted on. I wanted something simple rather than eloborate standards, as I imagine Daemons not caring much for mortal possessions and looks, but rather just wants to attract their gods.

I'm currently working on some Fiends of Slaanesh made from Forest Goblin Spiders, as I've decided to fit the entire army into the chess-board Tzeentch-sceme, and as such will be using some 'counts as' to represent the non-Tzeentchian units. What do you think of carved-out Plague Monks (leaving only the robes themselves) as Plaguebearers, painted in sickly colours, mounted on chess-board bases, but spreading some kind of disease/defilment from themselves upon the chess-board itself?

• 2 months later...
gallery_18697_2087_78308.jpg

*lol* I really love the one carrying a fish-icon around! That just seems so very tzeenchian for some reason! Or very Mordheim, I always did like the whole mutated fish/rat-theme they had going on in Mordheim! :( Great job on the icons, and I love the old-school Lord of Change! Though a lot smaller, it's way better looking than the new one! Keep up the good work!

EDIT: You should have got a bucketfull om the old horrors too! The lovely old ones with individual names! :tu:

/Angerforce.

kraegus: Thanks a lot! I'm sure ol' papa Nurgle has something against headaches, if you're willing to take som boiling pustules in exchange.

angerforce: Thanks! I was inspired by an old picture from 4th Edition Warhammer Fantasy Battles Bestiary Book, which consists of three fishes biting each others tails, forming a Tzeentch-mark. I later discovered the same picture is also in Liber Chaotica (a great source of inspiration for all daemons.)

And oh how I wish I could have gotten hold of some of the really old school-daemons. Especially the Fiends and Flesh Hounds.

After a few more weeks of work, I now bring you kind of a massive update.

First up is my second unit of rebased Horrors. Didn't take too long, luckily:

med_gallery_18697_2087_272919.jpg

Following them are my counts-as Fiends of Slaanesh. I call them Threadweavers, or Destinyweavers, (as the name Fateweaver is already taken, too bad!), large Tzeentchian spiders responsible for weaving the threads of destiny which can then be manipulated by Tzeentch or his servants. I intend to do three more spiders in a few days, more heavily converted, to bring some variation to the squad:

med_gallery_18697_2087_9178.jpg

med_gallery_18697_2087_107322.jpg

Coming up is another counts-as unit. Still nameless, they are made from my old Gibbering Hordes, just rebased to fit the army theme. In my mind I see them as a really minor daemon of Nurgle, one that constantly plagues the work of the Destinyweavers by gnawing on their strands and generally just getting in the way. Impossible to get rid of, Tzeentch has come to kind of accept them, as they can be manipulated to attack the enemy:

med_gallery_18697_2087_177652.jpg

Finally todays update includes my Bloodcrushers (made from my old Juggernoughts and the new plastic Bloodletters), as well as some Bloodletters. I intend to do my own version of Skarbrand eventually (and make up a backstory of how my Greater Daemon was involved in his exile, which is already hinted at in the codex), and these will be his still loyal followers:

med_gallery_18697_2087_32071.jpg

med_gallery_18697_2087_103197.jpg

med_gallery_18697_2087_24555.jpg

I tried a new way of painting on the Letters and Crushers, undercoating them with a red spray before washing them with a brown ink. I kind of like the result, they became quite shiny, but I like it as it looks sort of otherwordly in a strange, daemonic fashion.

As always, C & C is welcome and appreciated!

/MrManson

WOW!!!!!!

Those demons are just amazing. I saw your demons before but never commented, but i am truly in awe over the simple yet highly effective and intoxicating base work. The bases sort of mezmorize you too, which is perfect for a tzneetch led force. Your Bloodletters are amazing, they look khornate, but not that bright gawdy red that is typical. I love the redish brown look, as it makes them look more well...natural in a demonic sort of way. The green swords they have are just awesome too.

The spiders are just perfect. I would have never have thought about them, but they fit the tzneetch feel. Tzneetch the master of the strands of fate, on top of that, its his minions who are always trying to take over the webway of the eldar...again a spider feel to it, so they are absolutely perfect.

My only real complaint is the juggernaughts. Compared to the rest of your force, the bases and the riders look great, but the juggernaughts just don't seem to really fit. They look kinda bland looking. Perhaps if you gave them a more suitable color, they would fit better, but currently, there black/brass/red scheme looks to typical to be in a tzneetch army.

Archived