Washington, USA

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

As of late 2018 the places I know of are Mox Boarding House in Ballard and Bellevue. Is there still a place to go in Issaquah?

Issaquah has Heroic Knights Games, its a reasonable venue with decent terrain, They occasionally put on 30K events as well...

FLGS in Edmonds/Lynnwood area:

PFC games in Perrinville:  A decently equipped  shop with several wargaming tables with a full stock of terrain, they also stock Reaper and some Vallejo paints.

Critical Strike Games in Edmonds: Has a table or two and does Warhammer Nights on Sunday.

Nomad Games in Lynnwood: Hole in the Wall shop (only has one table) the co-owners are super chill, fun people...

Other useful places to know about:

Oop Games and Hobby in lynnwood: primarily an online retailer of OOP miniatures and games, but has a physical storefront as well.  Has a wide collection of random stuff and will likely sell you plastic bits by the oz, if you ask nicely.. 

Galaxy hobby in Lynnwood: More for RC/model aircraft people, but carries the Vallejo VMC line, as well as the ALCAD II line of Airbrush paints. ironically right next to a hobby lobby)

Panzerdepot: (Kirkland) "Everything but GW" store that caters to historical war-gamers, Has a full rack of Vallejo VMC and VMC air.

Edited by Laughingman

• 2 weeks later...

Where are people playing up near Spokane now ? Hobbytown and Merlyns I imagine still. Looks like gamers haven is still up. I'm in Spokane looking to have some friendly games, possibly start a super nerdy campaign, I have a bunch of armies. Hit me up. Mostly weekends though weeknights could be good depending :)

-Brett

• 7 months later...

between Tacoma and Olympia you currently have

.terracrux-tacoma-limited nearby parking since it is downtown

.the game matrix-Lakewood (my store so I am a bit biased) with late night gaming fri/sat/sun

.Olympic cards and comics-lacey aka gabbys. she moved all her gaming tables into a newer loft area and out of the retail space so it is pretty nice.

Update:

PDC in perrinville is gone... They got hit with several major break-ins and lost 20K plus worth of merchandise. Owner was already debating throwing in the towel, pushed him over the edge from what I heard... 

Nomad Games in Lynnwood moved to a slightly bigger unit in the same building, has two or three tables now... 

_______

Meeples in west Seattle as a 40k/30k nights on Thursdays has a dedicated 30K scene that puts on events on a regular bases... Fun place... 

Galaxy Hobby in Lynnwood closed last month as well, which is a damn shame.

Sad face.... I liked there selection of paints, they carried the mission models and Alclad II lines, they will be missed... 

Edited by Laughingman

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/16/2018 at 10:30 PM, Laughingman said:

Update: Games and Gizmos is officially gone.... Looking for a new place to play without having to drive all the way to Issaquah from Shoreline.... 

I'm fairly dialed into the places in the greater Seattle area to set models up and play.

But before I give a run-down on the locations, let me restate I am very interested in finding a regular group to hang with on weekends to talk/do Warhammer.  Not necessarily 40K, and not necessarily even Warhammer -- but model making in general.  I collect LotR boxes and plan on building some, eventually.   So, let's find our Emerald City cohorts and settle on a Sunday or Saturday a.m. joint to mix. 

For rlz..

Anyway ....

Let me run through what I know...

The two locations that are quite a highlight to visit are  Card Kingdom (aka Mox Boarding House).  There's one on Leary Way and Dock Street. They have a pretty good table setup and all the miscellaneous gear you would need to conduct battles.  Plus their stock is fair to middlin.  And most of the time there is someone there on staff who can "walk the walk" vs "talk the talk".

The other "MBH" location is in Bellevue, WA, along Bel-Red Road, but parking is a nightmare.  They have someone on staff between 11 and 3pm every Sunday to help with painting/modeling (bring your stuff, sit down and wet some brushes.. it's all good).

As far as Games Workshop (franchised locations).. There are two:

Kent, WA and Lynnwood, WA

Kent: 417 Ramsay Way, Kent, WA 98032

Lynnwood: 20101 44th Ave W Suite D, Lynnwood, WA 98036

I've been to the Kent location many times.   Sole owner/operator, on a shoestring, but his paint selection is fantastic, and carries deep inventory on WH 40K, not so much on HH, and not a single box of Necromunda.  I don't even think I remember seeing any BloodBowl.  Tables to play and a modest Black Library in the corner.  Plenty of back-issues of White Dwarf.   He also knows the game really well so if you have questions on game mechanics and even modeling, he's got some good answers.

There's also a smattering of several game shops that also cater to the comic book audience.  Capitol Hill (Seattle) has a number of them.  Google Maps throws out a lot of pins.  I won't bother restating them.    I would say though Capitol Hill is actually quite interesting -- a lot of shops around the area and if you like a good independent bookstore, Elliot Bay Bookstore is right around the corner.   Decent sci-fi collection and a tasty cafe in the joint.  A sit-down cafe is next door (Odd Fellows Cafe) and I highly recommend.  PLUS a Blick Art Supply is one block away too.  So.. paint, brushes, stuff, food, books.     The MBH (On Leary) is in the Ballard neighborhood and I don't remember if there are any art/craft supply stores along Market Streeet.  But Ballard is also a quirky neighborhood in it's own right. 

We locals joke: "Visualize Ballard"  as a play on "Visualize World Peace".   Plus, we also remark that getting to Ballard is one of those difficult tasks.   (Recommend taking I-5, then 50th west and drop down into Market Street, if it was me...)  Or if you're already on the west side, take Dexter/Westlake into Fremont then go west onto Leary.

But for the sake of argument, the MBH locations have vibrant clientele action.

Games and Gizmo's is long gone.  Uncle's Games is long gone (thankfully, that place was terrible, IMHO).

Most all (I think all) of the shops I remember as a kid north of Seattle (Kirkland, Totem Lake, etc..) are way long gone.  But I've been here a while so I expect that just happens.  5-10 years flicks by for me.

• 1 year later...