Pre-Heresy Night Lord WIP

Iacton

Hi all,

Having just completed Mortarion, who was great fun to do, I am now moving on to a model that has been bubbling up ever since I read "Lord of the Night" and more recently on seeing Kombat Unit's art of Sahaal.

I wanted to do a Night Lord, pre-heresy style, with a nod here and there to the shape of things to come.

He will eventually be pretty much in Mk5 armour with the old turbine style jump pack

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Night%20Lord/WIP1.jpg

As you can see, he has toe claws (a bit like big chicken feet!) and I have GSed the sleeves for them, plus I have started to add the extra cabling to his legs, and scraped out the eagle on his chest.

I will start adding studs to the shin guards and such soon. Apart from the massive great claw on his right hand, I'm in a bit of a dilemma as to what to arm him with. He is not a playing piece, so codex fluff can go out the window. so far I've plumped for a chainsword, but any suggestions?

C&C Please

Cheers,

Iacton

The chainsword looks fine! im sure he'd apreciate a bolt pistolas well though! with the toes, maybe if you took the front of the boot clean off then re-atatched the toe/klaws as at the moment there a tad to long?

S.O.N.

One more quick question... slightly off topic... are you doing all of the chapters pre-heresy or just a couple of them?

Hi SoN,

Ok, I'll have a look at that, but the slightly over the top look isn't far off what I'm aiming at, hence the largest claw in the world on his arm too! :woot:

And to answer the other question, yes, all is the plan. I don't know if you have been to the thread in the Hall of Honour, but I am slowly getting round to each. Ideally in time there will be a "character" model for each legion completed.

I have done a Sallie before, but only an apothecary job on a RT model (you can find it near the beginning of the blog on in my sig). I haven't had a moment of inspiration for the Sallies or the Scars in particular yet. If you have any suggestions, please let me know (PM if you want) cos I would love to do a good job on them and not just "another" marine :o

Update time.

Today I had some fun with GS!

First of all, I changed the arm, there was a lot of backwards and forwards as to what to do, but for the moment he is doing a "come 'ere!" beckoning action with his hand. I am probably changing the head too, and may even use a Mk2/3 helmet and paint a skull on to it.

Next I did studs around his legs and shoulder using the Ron Saikowski method with PVA glue, it's not that obvious until he is primed, but they are all there - about 14 studs per shin plus 19 on the shoulder!.

Then the GS-fu began. Now I'm the first to admit that I'm a novice when it comes to GS, but I felt that the shoulder pad had to be a moulded skull and wings and he also needed cabling to the chest and armpit joints etc.

The joints were easy enough, and the cabling came out satisfactory too - which led to the pad. I stuck a blob onto a plain pad and prodded and pushed and cut and spiked and smoothed until the end result was what you see.

Having never even come close to doing anything as complex as this with GS before, I'm quite pleased, especially with the proportions 'cos it fits just about right IMO.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Night%20Lord/WIP3.jpg

Please let me know what you think, and if I need to change anything before I go ahead and prime him.

Cheers,

Iacton :D

I don't know a heck of a lot about the Night Lords so i'm probably not in a good position to comment, HOWEVER what i can see here looks pretty good, i especially like the Night Lords chapter symbol that you've done with GS. Looking forward to seeing this guy painted, especially with what I saw of your Mortarion.

Ekkanus

Lord of the Night is definatly one of my favorite WH40k books.

Im glad you didnt put a gun in his spare hand, because as you know, Sahaal despised guns. I wouldve put an extra claw, since it says he has talons on both hands. I also remember him describing his jump pack as the the same ones that the current raptors use. Other than that, the model is gorgeous.

Oh and where is this so called Zso Sahaal art you mentioned?

Lord of the Night is definatly one of my favorite WH40k books.

Im glad you didnt put a gun in his spare hand, because as you know, Sahaal despised guns. I wouldve put an extra claw, since it says he has talons on both hands. I also remember him describing his jump pack as the the same ones that the current raptors use. Other than that, the model is gorgeous.

Oh and where is this so called Zso Sahaal art you mentioned?

I really enjoyed the book too. It is nice to have an ambiguous feel about the whole good/evil thing for a change.

He isn't ACTUALLY Sahaal, as such, just inspired by him, and limited to the contents of my bits box :o

I have him as a pre-heresy Night Lord who would have served under Sahaal prior to the Night Lords "turning", so he would follow a similar ethos of up close and personal combat.

Thanks for the kind words regarding the model Beowolf and here's the link to the artwork:- Kombat Unit's Eightfold Path

Nice work on the guy and good GS too.

Where is the claw from? Abaddon?

Thanks Ardus, I enjoyed doing it too (for a change!).

The claw is actually from the TOP miniatures version of Horus aka the Lost Son - I'm fortunate enough to have access to spares.

he's not Sahaal so my nightlords will run with him any time he needs his brothers. lets seem him primed and painted mate!

Cheers Neph! Priming him today, I reckon, then painting over next week or two ;)

The claw is actually from the TOP miniatures version of Horus aka the Lost Son - I'm fortunate enough to have access to spares.

Why you little!!! ;) :o

You're lucky , and still gifted pal, I really look forward to see this one painted.

You´ve got 2 weeks, not a day more!

;)

Ju

Kaleb Daark

Why you little!!! ;) :lol:

You're lucky , and still gifted pal, I really look forward to see this one painted.

You´ve got 2 weeks, not a day more!

:tu:

Ju

Kaleb Daark

Hehe! You forgot to mention handsome, charming and a big hit with the ladies! :D

I hope not to disappoint on the time line too ;)

OK, spent this evening blocking in the base colours and the head(s) - all will be obvious in a minute

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Night%20Lord/WIP4.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Night%20Lord/HeadsWIP.jpg

I'm so undecided about what to do with bits of him still.

1st, to NMM or not to NMM, that is the question?

2nd, what head? I will no doubt add the helm to him somehow anyway, but do I use that instead of a head, or do I use 1 of the 2 that I am currently blocking in?

HELP!! ;)

In your last post I say the bare head that is farthest right, you know, the plain termie sgt. bare marine head....

I think out of all of them it is the most PH and best painted...

Save the other two for a tac marine with skull helmet and maybe another assault trooper yelling, or even a vet.

Great job though, I really like the direction this model is taking.

on second look;

Okay, maybe the screaming bare headed guy looks best with model and assualt role/ dynamic theatric pose..., just shade/ wash those peraly whites of his one more time! He looks like he's sporting a blinged-out grill!

Thanks for the quick replies! ^_^

The heads aren't anywhere near painted yet, just a dark shade coat and a base coat, so don't take any of that as the finished article - and yes the blingy front grille on the screaming head would need a bit of toning down!! ;)

I won't be doing more Night Lords for a while, so the unused head will most likely get used on a PH World Eater which has now jumped up my list of models to do, whilst playing with potential weapons - can you say big double headed chainaxe people? ;) - and that may mean that the screamer head will go to the bezerk, whilst the more considered "angry" face maybe fits the serial killer type that is the Night Lord...

It's a shame that the helm doesn't show it more yet, but that is the company champion Mk3 helm that has just had a skull sketched on. Hopefully with a bit more work it will show up nicely.

Very nice so far, the GS icon is great!

I have one minor critique though,

with the exception that none of the planet's indigenous life forms have irises; the visible part of their eyes consisted entirely of pupils. Their skin was very pale, and an acute form of albinism, though recessive, was common in the populace.

You could however explain it away that your PH Night Lord originated from Terra, but Nostraman he is not. ;)

Thanks for the info Nihm,

I'm not massively "up" on the NL back story so this is a help.

I have got him planned to be very pale eventually, with a slight grey/purple tinge. This shade coat is fenris grey mixed with dark flesh and then a base coat of the previous mixed with some elf flesh. It is just done to this stage to help me map out the high parts and dark parts - I reckon there will be another 8 to 10 layers before the face is finished.

However, the eyes note is quite important, so I will work out how to fix that.

Had a nice evening to myself, so made some progress.

Helmet and head completed and armour re-coated with a more grey-blue shade and then some highlights done. Also did a bit to the shoulder skull

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Night%20Lord/HeadsWIP2.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Night%20Lord/WIP.jpg

I think that I've got the eyes right - near black - and the skin is very pale with purplish hues to the shades

C&C and any direction

Cheers,

Iacton :D

Love that skin tone!

If you could, the recipe for that would be great!

But I think that it needs one more hightlight of maybe pure white...

Nostromo people look like this in my mind:

look at the IG skin here

The eyes look flat also in my opinion.

Nevertheless, truly beautiful work so far.

Thanks Asmodeus,

I like the blue white faces on those IG, but I don't want the face to disappear into the armour too much. I might well put another highlight or 2 to the final face, I think that I need to make the eyes pop a bit more with a touch of white and a bit of washed out purple in the corners either side of the nose. I think I'll come back to that when I get a feel for the near complete model.

I did have a very small amount of progress overnight where I started to draw in the lightning effect - kinda apt with all the thunderstorms round my way over the last week!

I haven't done the jet pack yet, mainly because I wasn't sure which bits to apply the effect to. Weiss has already said, quite correctly, that the top ring around the turbines need the effect, so I'm thinking that the bottom ring should too. However, I don't know about the middle band?

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Night%20Lord/WIP5.jpg

Once I get that sorted I will try to fathom out the hard highlights to pick out the details, and then make a start on the cabling and metals, or maybe the base :P

If anyone can help with the fine highlights, I would appreciate it.

Cheers,

Iacton B)

Thanks again guys, and I'll have a look at that effect on the turbines.

Not a huge amount of progress, but I did start to work more on the finer highlights and also did a bit more to the face - added (maybe a bit too much of) a glint to the eyes and a bit of blueish shading to the face and very quickly NMMed the bits around the head itself. Won't do too much more this weekend due to enforced day of beer later today, so C&Cs please

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Night%20Lord/P6060001.jpg

Archived