The DIY Swap marines

Here's the very early WIP. I used a particularly angry head from WFB, and chopped off, and resculpted from the top lip down, to make him yelling. The other parts have been clipped, filed, sanded, pinned and glued. The torso required some cleaning up, and may actually inspire me to do a little battle damage...which I don't like. I knocked down the chest eagle, and I will be sculpting on the huge crux termanatus from the masters of the chapter shield. The sword is from the =][= range Artemis, and some other =][= range bitz...and will be First-Captain Escalus' mighty sword, "Purgator". The right arm will be tweaked a bit, and I'll sculpt a little bionic love on it. The chain whip falls in line (loosely) with the Castigator's chapter symbol. It's from the Reaper chain sprue. I wanted to biggerize the legs, but nothing doing this time. Obviously, I have a lot of gap filling to do as well.

Here's my rough start on First-Captain Escalus:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/castigatorwip1.jpg

First WIP of the Castigator that I have drawn.

Not sure who/what rank he is yet (commissar Molotov, if you have any suggestions?).

I've got him carried away, sermonising to his fellow squad members about the heretics that they face.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/Iacton/Castigator/WIP1.jpg

It's a converted metal Mk8 with the old head drilled out and the eagle filed off. GSed extra bits to the chest and an old Mk2 P/Fist.

I really don't usually do banners at all, but these guys sort of fit the bill for a "I dare you to shoot at me" type marine.

Anyway, any pointers for a so far stage would help.

Cheers :P

It's a Castigator overdose! :P

Here's the very early WIP....

I like him! I'll have to actually see him standing to get a better understanding of where you're going with him, but the face is really cool. At first I thought you'd sculpted a beard onto his face (which isn't a bad thing, per se) - now I see you resculpted his mouth, which is actually hugely impressive. And Purgator is definitely beefy!

Looking forward to more progress on him.

First WIP of the Castigator that I have drawn.

Not sure who/what rank he is yet (commissar Molotov, if you have any suggestions?).

I've got him carried away, sermonising to his fellow squad members about the heretics that they face.

I really like it. Originally I wasn't hugely enamoured with the pointy hand, but I can totally see where you're going with it, and it's great. He looks to me like a Veteran Sergeant from the Second Company - if anyone is going to be "I dare you to shoot at me!" it'd be the Second Company. (You can see the Company markings here it'd be that vertical white stripe on his left [our right] kneepad).

Having had no bitz last week, I went a little mad with ebay-fu and now have plenty to play with. Hopefully in amongst the parts from the plastic chaos terminators, a chaos tac squad, a chaos biker, a coupe of loyalist assault squads and a tac sqad I will have enough to do something worthwhile!

Now all I need are:

GS;

tools;

time!

Hopefully I will get some time at home soon to focus on this!

@Grimdour - Do the Phoenix use bikes? I was inspired with a pose yesterday.

T

I was tempted to post a picture of my e-bay purchase page as WIP as it is as far as I have manage to get so far!

I made a little more progress last night.

The base was made with sculpy, and the Castigators chapter symbol carved into the base. I also got some of the rough-out GS work done. I still need to fill and detail the sides of his torso, and around his head. I was hoping to get a little more GS work done last night, but this is all I could manage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/lunchboxmtbr/castigatorwip2-1.jpg

I love the idea of the Chapter symbol on the base (it actually gives me some fluff ideas) and I totally understand the flail now. I would say that the GS moulds seem to lack a bit of definition, and the skull on his breastplate seems a little lop-sided around the jaw area - but you said that it was preliminary work, so I'm looking forward to the next round of pics. :huh:

I love the idea of the Chapter symbol on the base (it actually gives me some fluff ideas) and I totally understand the flail now. I would say that the GS moulds seem to lack a bit of definition, and the skull on his breastplate seems a little lop-sided around the jaw area - but you said that it was preliminary work, so I'm looking forward to the next round of pics. :fakenopic:

The stamped GS chest plate had to be thin, as not to overpower the top of the mini, and make his legs look too small. When it's painted up, you won't be able to tell how shallow it is. The skull may be a tad lopsided, but his torso is also twisted down and to the side. I have yet to clean the edges up.

Glad you like the base!

Here with a sketch of what I am going to try to do with Grimdour's Crimson Phoenix.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/mlongcake/CPBikerSketch.jpg

Basically a chaos biker who has hopped across the body of his "steed" in order to get a better swing of his chain axe. Hoping to use meltgun muzzles as exhausts, turned up through 90 degrees plus chain-bayonets on the wheel hubs and front "bumper" and finally a huge banner on the tail (although my sketch of a skull is looking decidedly Ork-ish).

Any body think I might be doing something that won't/might not work before I start? Lots of gs-fu to do though!

T

looking good fellas :tu: I have a slight dilemma though. I'm going out soon to get my first models (yay) but I'm now in conflict -

either I get models and paints for Barret's models or I start my DIY :blink: Hard call...

Anyway, heres the scheme I went with:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg17/Hubernator/BarretsPrivateers.jpg

Quick update for me, no pics though. I've got the chaplain all basecoated and I hope to start actually painting him this weekend. Working on finishing up painting an epic IG co first.

Update from me. I need to get a tool to hollow out part of the light to make the speaker (probably get a drill this friday, since its payday). And then I have a 5 day weekend coming up, so I'll probably get alot of painting done then and my Jester is on the top of that list.

i have to say so far all of these are amazing or have huge potential if still at the drawing board

anyways

The chain whip falls in line (loosely) with the Castigator's chapter symbol. It's from the Reaper chain sprue.

im intrigued in the whip, is the castigators symbol from the reaper chain sprue?

if it is the flail then what is the reaper chain sprue? or os the flail from inquisitor?

space wolves arent supposed to be big on flails but this thinf is amazing and possibly to good to pass up

what is the reaper chain sprue

I believe Reaper is a seperate modeling manufacturer.

Correct...Reaper Miniatures makes a blister pack with various chains, and nasty ends for them. I've seen a few GD entries using them, and even pictured with them in WD mag...I should be ok there.

Having wrecked a perfectly good truck last weekend and having spent the remainder of the past 10 days dealing with insurance, replacing vehicle, etc, I am finally ready to move forward with my entry for ImperialTemplari's Emperor's Light Chapter. Based on all the wonderful terminator models he's posted, I've decided to make a Termie with Cyclone launcher. But I need input, from ImperialTemplari and anyone else, about two issues.

1) I kind of want to give this guy a SB/Chainfist loadout, have him be his squad's anti-armor guy, plus I think this will let me do something neat with his basing. But the SB feels redundant on a guy with a mobile rocket launcher. Does anyone ever field their Cyclones this way?

2) This is the complicated one. I want to drill out some of the missiles in the launcher, as part of the whole 'battle-worn' image his minis have - this guy has been in the battlefield for a few days, and has used his launcher many times and begun to run out of missiles. But what pattern would the missles get expended in? If the launcher looks like this:

000--000

000--000

Where each "0" is a missile, what order would they likely have been fired in if only about half were left? Something like:

Alternating:

0x0--x0x

x0x--0x0

Or one launcher at a time?

xxx--x00

xxx--000

The "x'es"here are the empty slots. Anyone have any real-world references to missile-rack type weapons that could tell me which way they'd be fired off? I can see a rationale for both: fire one rack dry, so if it's hit there's no loss; the counterargument is that if you fire all from side 'a' and then side 'b' takes a hit you are losing all the rounds in that launcher without being able to fire them. So I can't really decide - you guys, help me out please! Thanks!

Having wrecked a perfectly good truck last weekend and having spent the remainder of the past 10 days dealing with insurance, replacing vehicle, etc, I am finally ready to move forward with my entry for ImperialTemplari's Emperor's Light Chapter. Based on all the wonderful terminator models he's posted, I've decided to make a Termie with Cyclone launcher. But I need input, from ImperialTemplari and anyone else, about two issues.

1) I kind of want to give this guy a SB/Chainfist loadout, have him be his squad's anti-armor guy, plus I think this will let me do something neat with his basing. But the SB feels redundant on a guy with a mobile rocket launcher. Does anyone ever field their Cyclones this way?

2) This is the complicated one. I want to drill out some of the missiles in the launcher, as part of the whole 'battle-worn' image his minis have - this guy has been in the battlefield for a few days, and has used his launcher many times and begun to run out of missiles. But what pattern would the missles get expended in? If the launcher looks like this:

000--000

000--000

Where each "0" is a missile, what order would they likely have been fired in if only about half were left? Something like:

Alternating:

0x0--x0x

x0x--0x0

Or one launcher at a time?

xxx--x00

xxx--000

The "x'es"here are the empty slots. Anyone have any real-world references to missile-rack type weapons that could tell me which way they'd be fired off? I can see a rationale for both: fire one rack dry, so if it's hit there's no loss; the counterargument is that if you fire all from side 'a' and then side 'b' takes a hit you are losing all the rounds in that launcher without being able to fire them. So I can't really decide - you guys, help me out please! Thanks!

Sounds cool.

1 - the way Termie Squads are going you will only be allowed 1 Heavy Weapon per squad. So you kind of have to take the SB along with the Cyclone, this is no bad thing as remember you can fire Frag missiles from the cyclone. A template plus a storm bolter is nothing to be sniffed at (as he can fire both!)

2 - As the cyclone has both Frag and Krak missiles I would suggest that it fires them in order but is set up like so to start:

k f k - k f k

f k f - f k f

so if your thinking anti-tank, and have therefore fired mainly Kraks, so I'd suggest

x x x - x f k

f k f - k f k

this suggests your Termie has fired 3 Krak and 1 Frag.

Sound OK?

Sounds cool.

1 - the way Termie Squads are going you will only be allowed 1 Heavy Weapon per squad. So you kind of have to take the SB along with the Cyclone, this is no bad thing as remember you can fire Frag missiles from the cyclone. A template plus a storm bolter is nothing to be sniffed at (as he can fire both!)

2 - As the cyclone has both Frag and Krak missiles I would suggest that it fires them in order but is set up like so to start:

k f k - k f k

f k f - f k f

so if your thinking anti-tank, and have therefore fired mainly Kraks, so I'd suggest

x x x - x f k

f k f - k f k

this suggests your Termie has fired 3 Krak and 1 Frag.

Sound OK?

Sounds great, and I'm thinking it will look nice too! Thanks for the idea, the whole thing with both types of missile totally skipped my mind. That will give it a nice touch I think!

Archived