Apparently not a Skyhammer

AlexCrute

Yeah, so the Plastic Thunderhawk is still only a rumour (confirmed/unconfirmed/otherwise) and I need me a superheavy.

So I built this. After much discussion, I had decided to call it a Skyhammer, and was all gung ho making rules and writing background and generally going off the deep end.

But now it can't be a Skyhammer, because apparently a Skyhammer is a formation of Drop Pods, so please help me name it!

But enough moaning, now pics!

That's 80cm+ of superheavy goodness

gallery_11030_1089_67430.jpg

I wondered how I was going to construct hinges. And then realised that I was an idiot.

gallery_11030_1089_29409.jpg

The not-front-end

gallery_11030_1089_7468.jpg

Here's what it's supposed to look like (but bigger). And to prove that I didn't make it up.

gallery_11030_1089_28571.jpg

How about a scale shot? Can it carry underslung rhino's, because if it can it'd be awesome

Looking good so far though! Early days yet but I'd recommend disguising those hinges a little, perhaps a layer of walkways on the landing ramps would make them slightly less obvious

Underslung Rhinos? Why yes it can, six in fact.

Or four Landraiders.

There will be plenty of disguising going on in the later stages of this build. And thanks!

As for scale shots, that blobby grey thing on the front is a dreadnought

gallery_11030_1089_39266.jpg

wow thats amazing! looks really good

im presuming you will use predator and razor back turrets like the epic thing?

as for the name keep either the sky or hammer bit im saying hammer as i presume you collect imperial fists? if you do collect imperial fists use something like

skyhammer of dorn but with something alternate to skyhammer

It's called a Landing Craft in Epic. Thing carries 6 rhinos or 4 Land Raiders, plus about 60 marines (with the same transport restrictions as a THawk). Note that Epic specifically does NOT allow transported vehicles to carry passengers (the 'Russian Doll' rule), although I would allow it to do so in 40k, effectively allowing it to drop an entire company at once.

As far as names go, most Imperial aircraft are named after weather effects (Land Speeder Tornado, Tempest, Typhoon, and Storm; Lightning and Thunderbolt). Thunderhawk and Vulture are bird names. Valkyries, choosers of the slain.

Tsunami, maybe?

Ooh!! I got one!

Roc Landing Craft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roc_%28mythology%29

Try that on for size. :) I know its not the snazziest sounding thing but it fits the plane to a T. I mean come on, it can carry 4 land raiders! Lol.... I think I'd bring it just to explain how my space marines got there! Lol... ;)

=]D[=

Looking good there Alex!

Great idea, (and simple) with the hinge.

The wings may need to be a bit wider, but other tha nthat its a damn good start...Hmm may I'll postpone the two T-Hawks I had planned and go for a Landing Craft.

I still think Skyhammer is the best name...I might be the same as a drop pod formation, but who cares!?

Skyhammer Orbital Lander - sound pretty awsome IMHO.

Whoa!

*wipes sleep from eyes*

I go to bed and wake up to repiles, cheers folks!

@ treadheadz: Yeah, it will alway be a Skyhammer in my heart. I've half a mind to just be stubborn and continue with the name on a sort of I-thought-of-it-first vibe. Although I would then have to repeatedly explain it to rules lawyers.

Or I could just beat said rules lawyer with it. Physically I mean. I like the use of the word Orbital. I think I'll put that in there somewhere.

@ Inquisitor =D=: I agree the name is not snazzy, but the bird is great. I wonder if there is a Norse or Greek equivalent?

@ Lion: Yep, that's the beastie. Terrible name though. Might as well call it Space Marine Flying Transport or Space Marine Big Shuttle. I've decided that Space Marine Landing Craft is a generic catch-all term, covering everything from Thunderhawks and Stormbirds through to these larger craft. That little bit of poetic license enables me to A: think up a cool name for it and B: change it as much as I want. It doesn't really have enough guns for Apocalypse. So I shall rectify that :)

@ Imperator Mos: Yep. Death Emu it is. See my other thread in Apocalypse Datafaxes for the discussion on physics ;)

@ Yamez: Yeah, except for the scale.

@ Terminatorinhell: Yep, a whole lotta foamcore. Stiffened with balsawood and glue, and milk carton for joins.

@ Wiplash: Yeah I will get around to ordering a bunch of razorback and predator sprues when it nears completion.

@ Patrick O))): That is just about the coolest idea ever.

@ Snipeshot: Thanks for that! I think that would make a great name for this individual vehicle, rather than the vehicle type. Tank rush indeed!

@ Crusader and ZsaZsa: Those are good names. I didn't want to use a name established in existing fluff, like Hive Fleet Behemoth. Eagle's Claw is good, although it sounds to me like a drop pod - if the Chaos one is a Dreadclaw, then the Imperial one could be an Eagleclaw.

Curse you GW! You should have named the Skyhammer Orbital Strike Force the Eagle Claw Orbital Strike Force! Then I could have Skyhammer all to myself. Blast and tarnation!

Incidentally, a Tau player from my work told me "Hey that sounds like a Tau name, y'know Hammerhead, Skyray. See?"

B)

Serves me right for fraternising with Xenos scum.

Now, how does everyone feel about me up-gunning it to Apocalypse worthy standards? :yes: Considering that it will be priced like a Reaver Titan.

Archived