Apparently not a Skyhammer

AlexCrute

Hmmm... Sky Hawk Orbital Lander... Not bad!

The "Hawk" bit ties it up nicely with the Thunderhawk.

Incidently Hawk - as in the real bird - Hunts by hovering above their prey in high altitude, then with a fast dive like strike, it crushes (litterely) the prey using the prow (?) of its chest bone - killing the prey instantly.

I like it!!

Many Space Marine vehicles are individually named, so though this is a Landing Craft, you can call this particular one "Skyhammer" if you want to.

I know there's a type name for this, I just can't remember - Stormhawk or Stormbird, something like that.

Nice model BTW (though those big hinges are killing me, they make lots of finer hardware for cabinetry etc.)

I'd call it Jormungander (your-mun-gan-dur) after the Norse sea-serpent, spawn of Loki.

I dunno, I love the name. Depending on your company you could call it Lokisbane or Thorsbane or something like that, too >_>

I like norse mythology :(

First post btw >_>

I haven't seen it mentioned already, but you placed a door on the side of the transport area while it doesn't look like a door to me, on the epic one. It has those kind of arches, like the front door, but the main strut of the body also has those kind of arches.

Of course if you did it purposely then ignore my comment^^.

Looking great, will be pretty impressive when completed :)

Stormbringer has my attention. Awesome sounding, and descriptive.

@Falk: Yep, quite deliberate. I have taken a few liberties with this beast so far, and may yet take a few more (gunses!) There are also doors in the aft section, so if each door disgorges a squad, we have capacity for 50 marines on board. That was the rationale anyway.

Regarding up-gunning, I feel like the Epic Space Marine Landing Craft it is pound-for-pound less dangerous than a Rhino. Which is to say not very dangerous - sure the marine cargo is dangerous, but they're also 4000ish pts worth - and jolly well ought to be dangerous!

The Stormbringer (yep that name has stuck pretty well) needs a compelling reason to stick around after dropping the marine company off turn 1. Otherwise my lovely big model spends 1 turn on the table, and after a sprinkle of heavy bolter fire, disappears.

As far as names go, most Imperial aircraft are named after weather effects (Land Speeder Tornado, Tempest, Typhoon, and Storm; Lightning and Thunderbolt). Thunderhawk and Vulture are bird names. Valkyries, choosers of the slain.

Tsunami, maybe?

I was thinking about this, and how the thunderhawk incorporates a storm of some kind and an animal. So

But, if you like skyhammer so much, why not incorporate the weather name and call it a stormhammer. I mean it brings in a storm of tanks that act as a hammer. Stormhammer sounds as cool as skyhammer to me. BTW "Orbital landing craft" is kind of the technical name, while names like land raider and thunderhawk function as easy names to shout out in the battlefield

If you want a norse name (mention in page 1) then for birds your pretty much stuck with the raven, norse mythos had a number of connections with various animals, but only in a general sense, Ie raven, bear, wolf, snake. Nothing specific or exotic.

Archived