Turn Coat .... er.. Robe :)

ForeverHero

The quick answer:

Toss a PF and a melta gun into a squad. In my 1750 tourney list i ran 2 gh squads, 1 w/ plasma for anti med infantry, 1 with a melta for popping heavy infantry/tanks. I run a mech list, so I typically get in my enemy's face when I set up my firing line. This typically means that my melta squad sees plenty of action. If you are running a drop pod list, this would be even more relevent.

Obviously wolves cant put out the number of heavy weapons that a list like DA's can, but we deal with tanks in another way. We can have very mobile meltas and fists in squads, so that our GH's can deal with pretty much any threat. Same w/ blood claws. Scouts using the OBEL rule (as a new player, I URGE you to take a unit of these guys, they wont disappoing) can really REALLY be a headache to tanks/heavies sitting back. I have a squad of 6, and as I've said above, they earn thier points back soooo much. In one game, they took out 2 full dev 10 man squads solo; In the next they took out a dev squad and pred annihilator, in another they took out a dev squad, a pred and the remenants of an assault squad. The ability to pop up behind people with a melta gun, a plasma pistol or 2, and a couple of power weaps (and melta bombs if you want!) can put a wrench in anyone's plans. A bike squad can also pack a melta and a PF (more with a WGPL or WGBL) which can take care of just about any armor/infantry it comes across.

So yes, you wont have the direct heavy weapons fire that you may be used to w/ the DA's, but you will find that the overall versitility of your troops will more than make up for that. It's a totally different way for playing marines than what's in the vanilla dex, and I think that's what wolf players love more than anything about the army. It's gritty, it's tough, and it can take out just about anything if played to its fullest potential.

Archived