Shadow Keepers army blog (pre-heresy)

Antman677

:) why havent i seen this thread before? this is awesome! i really love it!

thanks a lot man! ill try to get the armor hlghlights in this weekend and start on the NMM next week...

if i announce it on the thread maybe ill be more motivated to work on the mini :D

Very clean model there, I persoanlly dont think you need to whiten the lion any more, its looks great as is, remember the key is to know when to say "thats enough, its finished".

I also like the use of the high elf bits on the back

Very clean model there, I persoanlly dont think you need to whiten the lion any more, its looks great as is, remember the key is to know when to say "thats enough, its finished".

Sigh...i went back and reblended the lion's forhead...i think im a bit OCD when it comes to painting...i gotta work on that "leaving it be" business ;)

so heres my SENMM red armor...how does it look? any suggestions on improving it?

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii57/antman677/40k/SENMM_red1.jpg

Looking good, you need to clean up the yellow/gold around the red a little, but thats easy enough to do.

Also you may not want to draw attention to the partial chaos star on the armour plate at his waist...

Looking good, you need to clean up the yellow/gold around the red a little, but thats easy enough to do.

Also you may not want to draw attention to the partial chaos star on the armour plate at his waist...

Thanks mal, the yellow areas are just bascoated...they'll be NMM-ified next. About the arrows on the armor...some people are saying that they are chaos and other say that its common amongst pre-heresy armor...which is it? off to do some research... ^_^

the nmm looks good on the red, but it almost tricks you for a moment as you dont ever see red metal, you think youre looking at a jewel or something. i would consider doing a very fine highlight around the edges of the dark parts of the metal, just to help it blend in more and give it more of a "shine"

heres a pre-heresy termie sarge that will serve as my test mini...my first attempt at NMM gold...

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii57/antman677/40k/NMM_test1a.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii57/antman677/40k/NMM_test1b.jpg

open for critique, thanks!

asmodai: yep i added some extra highlights for some more shine. will post pics as soon as i get the NMM done of the temie lord

not bad for a first attempt, but the SENMM only looks like its ENMM, its needs a light reflection above the brown in order to appear like theres a sky, or better yet, light light light blues or indigos. other than that, fantastic attempt.

not bad for a first attempt, but the SENMM only looks like its ENMM, its needs a light reflection above the brown in order to appear like theres a sky, or better yet, light light light blues or indigos. other than that, fantastic attempt.

mm thanks kain...yeah i see what you mean. im going to have to brighten up the 'sky' portion a bit more. to contrast the 'earth' portion...back to work!

alrighty...i put in a good deal of work this week and finished his torso and legs...next ill legs, arms, and head!

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii57/antman677/40k/painted_raviontorsolegs.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii57/antman677/40k/painted_ravionside.jpg

comments and critiques welcome as always...

*drools*

That model looks amazing! Are you going to build a whole pre-heresy Dark Angels army or what?

yep...a whole pre-heresy counts as deathwing army! its gonna take me a while... :blink: ill post pics of squads here soonish...

@sons: thanks man!

Dunno if you want to hear about it but the SENMM on the red chest-wings is unconvincing.

It's a bit hard to see in the pics, but it looks like the horizon-line isn't actually horizontal, it almost looks curved. The blending looks good, although perhaps the earth part could be darker, and the strong sky highlights sharper and brighter.

But you can see it better than I can, are you happy with it?

Dunno if you want to hear about it but the SENMM on the red chest-wings is unconvincing.

It's a bit hard to see in the pics, but it looks like the horizon-line isn't actually horizontal, it almost looks curved. The blending looks good, although perhaps the earth part could be darker, and the strong sky highlights sharper and brighter.

But you can see it better than I can, are you happy with it?

hey alex, i totally hear ya...and im very glad to take critiques of my work. the horizon was actually painted to be curved to represent the curved surface of the chest. Also...the horizon kind of blends into the black armor that shows through between the wings of the chest so it exaggerates the curvedness of the chest. So i think i have the horizon ok, BUT I think you're spot on about the contrast on the NMM. I do think that i might need to darken the earth parts and lighten the sky parts...i to need to work on the contrast on all my NMM. After i finish the rest of the mini ill go back and touch up parts...

thanks for the comments...i really value them to help me improve my technique

I think the gold SENMM looks very good - and its because of that that I'm being critical of the red. It stands out in comparison.

Is the surface of the wing actually curved? I thought that was a flat bit? In any case, one thing that occurred to me was that you could move the horizon line on the red either up or down a bit so it doesn't get lost in the feather's curve. If the horizon line fully bisects one of the feathers (and is therefore longer than at present) the effect will be better.

When I first saw this mini I thought each wing was 2 wing 'bits', only after I read 'red SENMM' did I go back and see that there's this funny horizon line thing going on.

Does that make sense?

The reason for this picky critique is that this model is worth it. It's an outstanding piece, and needs to be judged accordingly, so well done on that note

Do you have a gallery of similar quality stuff that I can ogle?

I think the gold SENMM looks very good - and its because of that that I'm being critical of the red. It stands out in comparison.

Is the surface of the wing actually curved? I thought that was a flat bit? In any case, one thing that occurred to me was that you could move the horizon line on the red either up or down a bit so it doesn't get lost in the feather's curve. If the horizon line fully bisects one of the feathers (and is therefore longer than at present) the effect will be better.

When I first saw this mini I thought each wing was 2 wing 'bits', only after I read 'red SENMM' did I go back and see that there's this funny horizon line thing going on.

Does that make sense?

The reason for this picky critique is that this model is worth it. It's an outstanding piece, and needs to be judged accordingly, so well done on that note

Do you have a gallery of similar quality stuff that I can ogle?

yes sir, the surface of the wing wraps around the torso. thanks for the suggestion to move the horizon...i'll move it down by extending the light red and deepening the earth reflection, which will improve the contrast.

unfortunately this is the beginning of my only higher quality mini gallery. Its really my first attempt at at painting at a level above just standard tabletop quality. first time doing major GS sculpts, NMM, SENMM, and OSL...this guy was a test run of sorts to practice technique. So hopefully future minis will be even better thanks to the great suggestions and comments of the brothers in this forum, so no other minis...BUT i do have 3 more termie squads in the works with their own special goodies and 2 LRs that will need to be modeled preheresy-ish and painted with murals and stuff...so stay tuned! :)

loooks auuuusome

the black section at the front of his base is a bit random but other than that he looks ausome are you gonna give him a banner? on his back could look really good

thanks for all comments...helps me to crack the whip a bit... :HQ:

So now Mr. Ravion is finished, dull coated and everything...

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii57/antman677/40k/Ravion_final_collage.jpg

one thing that occurred to me was that you could move the horizon line on the red either up or down a bit so it doesn't get lost in the feather's curve. If the horizon line fully bisects one of the feathers (and is therefore longer than at present) the effect will be better.

moved down the red SNMM horizonand improved the contrast...hope its better!

the black section at the front of his base is a bit random but other than that he looks ausome are you gonna give him a banner? on his back could look really good

I added that rock in the front for you! haha...yeah that black spot was supposed to be a piece of cooler solidified lava but yeah...didnt work out so well i guess ;)

oh and a banner...perhaps after i get the rest of the army done...then ill work on my freehand skills

next up...3 more squads and dreads and LRs! sigh... :FA: gonna take me years...hope i learn to paint quicker

• 5 months later...

Hey everyone...so since im hoping to get this army ready for GT im gonna make this into an army blog to get your feedback on how to better my painting/converting...

So heres one squad finished...going to start on another or do a dread...not sure which one yet...

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii57/antman677/WIP%20shadowkeepers/Squad_Catena_collage.jpg

C&C would be great!

They look amazing.

The NMM gold really stands out against the black.

But, if you are looking for C&C, I'd note that the Gold stands out so well because the black is a bit flat. The highlights are subtle, but seem to be applied in the 'Extreme highlighting' fashion (I.E. A few colours brushed against the edge of the armour). At the risk of making the black armour look grey, I'd start the highlight from a little further back on each highlight, just to give the black a bit more contrast.

Still, hard to say anything negative. Nuts job on the NMM!

Archived