[Artwork] 'No Quarter'

Salutations my brothers!

It's certainly been a long time since I uploaded anything here on the B+C...

One of the reasons is that I'm working a lot on many projects related to the Dark Millenium (which I can't reveal just yet), and so when I have some free time, I try to do something completely different and that means no power-armoured stuff for the boards.

However, today I'm bringing you the latest image I've conjured up for a client, involving one of my favourite Chapters of Space Marines in the service of the Imperium: Imperial Fists!

The request asked me to depict a scene of the Horus Heresy days, whilst the Imperial Fists defended the Palace of Terra against the mighty forces of Chaos, especially the Iron Warriors, natural nemesis to the IFs...

After some drafts, this image came up, which I'm most happy with; there's something in the composition that I like: a natural flow to it, that I think is good for the development of the whole action, without cluttering up the piece. The yellow is particularly tricky to handle, but it also came out quite balanced against the white marble of the columns and debris, and then there's the window, into which I worked some new tricks with reflections and such and I liked how it came out (especially taking into account that the silhouettes are enough to delineate the landscape but without overwhelming the focus on the characters).

The characters themselves I also enjoyed very much, what with the old armour types, and the Sergeant resembling the IFs Primarch, Rogal Dorn, whom you know from this image: PUGNI IMPERIUM

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d61/aerion_the_faithful/NoQuarter.jpg

There are, of course, many details that I've overlooked and things that could be vastly improved, such as lighting on certain areas to add more depth and a few funky lines, but without room to evolve I wouldn't be a proper artist, huh?

So, I hope you like this one, as usual, and let me know what you all think!

Until soon.

Aerion the Faithful

It's about damn time you pulled through Aerion. :D As always, I enjoy your pieces and this is no exception. The smoke effects, explosion, and flames all look really nice. I especially like the Marine wielding the banner. The the pre-heresy armor and 'Iron Armor' helms are perfect and the Sergeant contains much character. The fallen debris and dead Iron Warrior just make this piece that much better. I look forward to more work from you soon, particularly that Crimson Fists comic. :D

EDIT: Hadn't noticed the shadows, it's an excellent touch and makes the piece seem somewhat more realistic.

I clicked with anticipation when I noticed who the artist was. As alwayse very nice work, I like the protrayal of the older armor patern. That and it is Imperial Fists my favorite chapter right after my Templars.

Over two hundred views and just three comments? That's got to be a record! :mellow: But, seriously, I'm thinking maybe this one didn't fire up your attention as much as other of my pieces? It'd be interesting to know why if that's the case... you certainly can't win them all, but if there's room for improvement, I would like to know where I have to focus my attention...

Now, onto the reviews so far (which have been remarkably good in contrast to the above statement!):

It's about damn time you pulled through Aerion. :D As always, I enjoy your pieces and this is no exception. The smoke effects, explosion, and flames all look really nice. I especially like the Marine wielding the banner. The the pre-heresy armor and 'Iron Armor' helms are perfect and the Sergeant contains much character. The fallen debris and dead Iron Warrior just make this piece that much better. I look forward to more work from you soon, particularly that Crimson Fists comic. ;)

EDIT: Hadn't noticed the shadows, it's an excellent touch and makes the piece seem somewhat more realistic.

Thank you, mate! I'm always happy to hear from you and you've certainly pointed out some of the aspects I'm happy with when it comes to this piece in particular. I think the smoke has got better every time I render it, and the old armour marks were really fun to portray. The glass is yet a long way to go from being the effect I want to achieve, but I certainly think this one's been a good step forward as far as lighting and reflections go.

As for the CFs comic, it's coming, don't worry. I've just finished the first pages of the first story arc, if you must know ;)...

I clicked with anticipation when I noticed who the artist was. As alwayse very nice work, I like the protrayal of the older armor patern. That and it is Imperial Fists my favorite chapter right after my Templars.

That's a great compliment indeed! I like it that I've come to a point in which people can sort of 'expect' something from me, which goes to show that my style is recognisable enough from others.

Bravo.

You should do some sort of a Flash Animation graphic novel.

I'm making a novel, alright, though flash animation is a bit beyond me at this point. I would love to do it someday, though as I think my style would fit animation to a tee...

So, I'll wait for the 'BOO's and 'BAH's and 'MEH's if you have them brothers...

Aerion the Faithful

Looking through the hall of honour, the name of this thread took my attention immediantly. The picture looks very nice, its very coo, but as I have said elsewhere the if Imperial Fists star in something they automatically double awesomeness factor. Well done, hopefully we'll see more Imperial Fist artwork soon! (perhaps Imperial Fist termies fighting daemons in Horus' capital ship?)

Looks great Mate! Good to see this one finished. The only thing I think you need to do is add some highlights on the black areas for definition (mainly the shoulder pads...) Keep on rockin' that sweet power-armored goodness...

For Dorn!

-T.

Looking through the hall of honour, the name of this thread took my attention immediantly. The picture looks very nice, its very coo, but as I have said elsewhere the if Imperial Fists star in something they automatically double awesomeness factor. Well done, hopefully we'll see more Imperial Fist artwork soon! (perhaps Imperial Fist termies fighting daemons in Horus' capital ship?)

Thank you for the compliments, mate! I have no doubt that you will see more Imperial Fists artwork from me, if my schedule allows. They're certainly one of my favourite (if not THE most favourite) Chapter.

Looks great Mate! Good to see this one finished. The only thing I think you need to do is add some highlights on the black areas for definition (mainly the shoulder pads...) Keep on rockin' that sweet power-armored goodness...

For Dorn!

-T.

Hey, hey! It's the old Shark himself! It's always a pleasure to hear from you, my brother and more when it is in this cyber-realms and particularly when it has to do with a piece of mine. You've always had a good eye for critique, and you're right about the highlights on the shoulderpads. I thought about it, and then I decided against it, to make them 'pop' more; but I see how they could benefir from a bit of light.

Oh you know my opinion Nic,

I'm just going to sit and wait for others to give praise :)

Thank you for stopping by, mate! Yes, I know your opinion, indeed and I'm very happy that it is so good! ;)

Decent bit of artwork here :) I think the lack of comments might be to do with the fact that is does look a little cartoony... but hey, that's my thoughts. Nice job :)

Thanks for the kind words, Hubernator! You may be right about the style, but then again, it's what I'm known for; I gues it's just a question of the piece in itself. As I said, some you win, some you don't, but it's certainly good to know what kind of things catch the audience's attention.

Thanks again to all who have posted and I hope to do better next time (which may be soon!)

Nic.-

Another great piece of art.I personally think this is your best to date.The coloring and detail to the older marks of amrour just jump out at you.To me there is no center that draws your eyes,there is so much going on in this.Great work as always.Always love to see your work.Maybe i will have to have you do a commission for me,when i work out more details.

I always find your work very fascinating. I am normally not really a fan of comic-style drawing or any kind of heavily stylized drawing in general. But your work has such a unique style that you just have to admire it. Great work as usual!

And... Is it just me or does that sergeant look a lot like Lemmy from Motörhead?

Not your best work...

I like the colours but some things felt wrong.

- Sergeant waist is too thick, making him chubby.

- The thingies dangling from sgt shoulderpads distract and look like bullet deflections.

- the shoulder pads on all marines are too narrow

- the helmet on the banner marine is too weird looking.

- the boltguns have grip.. older boltguns didn't have grip

Another great piece of art.I personally think this is your best to date.The coloring and detail to the older marks of amrour just jump out at you.To me there is no center that draws your eyes,there is so much going on in this.Great work as always.Always love to see your work.Maybe i will have to have you do a commission for me,when i work out more details.

Thank you, wulfgarr! I'm happy that you think this is my best work to date; I certainly find it quite evolved in terms of my style and rendering than my previews works, but there are still many miles and years to go, and so thi work may be (and I hope it is!) overwhelmed by another one.

And you can contact me at anytime :)

That's great. Really great. My only gripe is that the Sergeant looks... I dunno, fat? But that's just me. It's an awesome piece of art for sure, anyway.

Thank you! Actually, it is mentioned below that the Sergenat looks a little 'fat', though it wasn't my intention. However, I must say that the fact that he looks a bit like that isn't completely negative in my eyes: I've learnt many times, from studying the anatomy of muscular men such as weight-lifters and other sports involving feats of stregth that they sometimes tend to look 'fat', though it's mostly due to the massive ammount of muscle they have.

I always find your work very fascinating. I am normally not really a fan of comic-style drawing or any kind of heavily stylized drawing in general. But your work has such a unique style that you just have to admire it. Great work as usual!

And... Is it just me or does that sergeant look a lot like Lemmy from Motörhead?

He looks like the Primarch Rogal Dorn, or at least the way I've depicted him in my previous illustration (follow the link in the first post), but Rogal was based in Lemmy :D and many have noticed the likeness! I'm happy that you like my work even though comic-style isn't really your cup of tea, and compliments on my style are always the best I can get. It lets me know that I have something original to bargain with in this tricky business called 'illustrating'.

Not your best work...

I like the colours but some things felt wrong.

- Sergeant waist is too thick, making him chubby.

- The thingies dangling from sgt shoulderpads distract and look like bullet deflections.

- the shoulder pads on all marines are too narrow

- the helmet on the banner marine is too weird looking.

- the boltguns have grip.. older boltguns didn't have grip

Thank you for the insight into what you didn't like, Chaplain! If I'm posting artwork, it is to get both the good and the bad reviews and make the best of both, but mostly of the bad. I agree this mat not be the best of my works, but I think it's a very solid piece still and I'm quite, quite fond of it (plus, the client loved it!). The good thing is that my standard of work here on the B+C is certainly very high and so I have to puch myself further everytime to get better results and keep on surprising you.

Addressing some of the issues you mentioned: -The Sergeant's waist is a tad think, but that was because I was trying to make the old armour mark much more uncomfortable and dated, thus it would've looked very heavy and bulky (even more so than the regular MkVII) and even though I've addressed the chubby-ness above, it does feel like an excuse and I will see to this issue in my upcoming illustrations.

-Mmm, I hadn't thought of the decoration of the Sgt.'s cape that way, but you certainly raise a good point. They should've been a bit more defined perhaps...

-The shoulderpads are a BIG issue; there isn't a strict way of rendering them and most artists do what they can with them. I'm, of course, into the older art for WH40K (which many fans forget was very 'cartoony' in many ways), with Wayne England at the helm, so my shoulderpads tend to resemble the ones you saw back then, when they weren't a perfect semi-circle, but rather had a narrower shape. Kopinsky changed all that, of course, but I still like the older renderings as much as I admire Karl's work; there may be some of that in there, as wel as the fact that the poses call for the pads to be a bit 'deformed'.

- I'm not sure I know what you mean by 'weird looking', but I suppose I'll take that into account as well for further reference.

-Oh, right, heh... well, that's just lazyness on my part, really and not sticking to the reference material like I should! My bad...

So, overall, I think this illustration is very solid and your comments have made me realise that it isn't one of my best, for some reasons to some, and some to others and as I said, you can't win them all (in the eyes of everyone at least; this illustration made quite a revolt in my DA account and the client was very, very satisfied with it as I mentioned above)! I hope I can surprise you with my next one and keep those comments coming in the meantime; what do others think? Do you agree with the points raised? Everything helps!

Until soon.

Aerion.-

I hope I can surprise you with my next one and keep those comments coming in the meantime; what do others think? Do you agree with the points raised? Everything helps!

I have to say one thing, the armour does make the sergeant guy a tad too chubby, but really it is just the bulkiness of the armour. Still, I like it, its very good. I have not yet seen cartoon drawings of marines, and thye look very unique (almost as unique as the horrors that I myself sometimes draw! [and subesequently throw out...]).

I've been a fan of your work for a long time now and this piece is great!

I can see what people are saying about the the chunky looking sergeant but in all fairness I really like the bulkier design as it suits my own intrepretation of what a marine should look like.

Although I love the picture I think that the sergeant does look a bit too much like a space wolf with the unkempt heair and moustache but it's still a very animated piece and captures the mood very well.

I think it's great! :wacko:

Always nice to see something new. I like that you kept the moustaches as a link to the primarch. There all a little clean like they just stepped off the parade ground some weathering would have looked good IMO.

Thank you for the compliments, mate. I think that a bit more damage would've been good too, indeed, coming to think about it, but there is also another fact, which is that the yellow on the armour tends to make the marines 'brighter' than what they might be.

I have to say one thing, the armour does make the sergeant guy a tad too chubby, but really it is just the bulkiness of the armour. Still, I like it, its very good. I have not yet seen cartoon drawings of marines, and thye look very unique (almost as unique as the horrors that I myself sometimes draw! [and subesequently throw out...]).

Thank you for your thoughts, brother. I think the bulk of the armour, plus some lines on the belly add to the whole 'fatty' thing; it's good to have it in mind so as to try and stay clear of that next time. And no drawing is a horror: it's all a matter of perspetcive and, given due practice, everyone can be as good as the artists we admire!

It is always a pleasure to login to the B&C and find a new illustration by you. Most excellent! Keep up the great work.

It's always a pleasure to know you like my work so much, my friend! Thank you very much!

I've been a fan of your work for a long time now and this piece is great!

I can see what people are saying about the the chunky looking sergeant but in all fairness I really like the bulkier design as it suits my own intrepretation of what a marine should look like.

Although I love the picture I think that the sergeant does look a bit too much like a space wolf with the unkempt heair and moustache but it's still a very animated piece and captures the mood very well.

I think it's great! :D

Thanks, Doghouse! I'm an admirer of your miniatures too and I see some resemblance between the bulk in them and my own renderings.

And you're right about the Sgt. resembling a bit a Space Wolf, and I reckon I perhaps could've used a better cut; but, on second thought, that would've taken away from the whole 'flow' of the scene (and believe me, the hair can work wonders when it comes to dynamism in a piece!)

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts brothers, and I hope to have some more to show you very soon!

Aerion.-

I was wondering where'd you had gone to. Great to see you back.

I like seeing the lighter, brighter colors in this image. It's nice to see you steerting away from a drab palette. Though saying that, the sarge looks... Wonky. I think it is the length of the upper torso armor, or perhaps the lack of a midriff. It makes him look very squat. His chest also looks quite broad. Other than that, however, I like the image.

But where is Angron? :D

DGF

I hope I didn't sound too negative.. i liked this piece, no mistake.. I'm a sucker for yellow armor! :D

In any case:

The helmet problem: I said weird because I never saw a helmet quite like it.. i like the helmet of the bottom right marine more... the banner marine's helmet looked too bucket-ish... if you get my meaning.

You're right on the shoulder pads... each artist has their rendition.. I like them shorter and bulkier .. It all boils down to personal taste.. and if you client was very pleased... you can't ask for more!! ;)

Hope to see some more artwork soon.. It's always good to see your 40K renditions. :)

Hi Aeron !!

I was close not to see this one. Must come around on a more regular basis 8). Still too much light in your drawings to my very own personal opinion but you still know how to "catch the action" in a great way.

Moustache is the new IF icon !!! Ack 8).

DS

Over two hundred views and just three comments? That's got to be a record! :P But, seriously, I'm thinking maybe this one didn't fire up your attention as much as other of my pieces? It'd be interesting to know why if that's the case... you certainly can't win them all, but if there's room for improvement, I would like to know where I have to focus my attention...

I think after a while, people tend to think that rewarding people with comments is gratuitous. "This guy knows he's good, so what does he want from me?" Thats what I like to think, anyway, but that kind of thinking is very convenient in my case. I felt the same way after posting "The Ecstasy of Service" here, which seemed to get the standard 1100 pages views and 20 comments. ;) Actually that was a super sad day...

In any case, good work. I'm predisposed to liking this, based on the fact that its subject matter is Imperial Fists, but it isn't your best work to date in the 40k arena. Your style lends itself to being rather forgiving for perspective and proportions, but I can't help think that the Imperial Fist shoulder pad most prominently displayed at center is a little 'off.'

I was wondering where'd you had gone to. Great to see you back.

I like seeing the lighter, brighter colors in this image. It's nice to see you steerting away from a drab palette. Though saying that, the sarge looks... Wonky. I think it is the length of the upper torso armor, or perhaps the lack of a midriff. It makes him look very squat. His chest also looks quite broad. Other than that, however, I like the image.

But where is Angron? :P

DGF

It had been a while, DGF! And I'm certainly glad to have you posting your support as usual... I'm happy to have steered away from the regular black/white/tones/colour palette, foa more colourful range of hues, because that challenges me more as an artist to find ways to balance said colours into a composition that looks decent and not something out of a kid's colouring book :P

Your concerns about the Sgt. are completely justified, though I did some of those things on purpose, to sort of show the uncomfortable antiquity of old armour marks.

Angron? Well... you've mentioned a Primarch and I have something in the works regarding them but I can't say too much yet...

I hope I didn't sound too negative.. i liked this piece, no mistake.. I'm a sucker for yellow armor! :D

In any case:

The helmet problem: I said weird because I never saw a helmet quite like it.. i like the helmet of the bottom right marine more... the banner marine's helmet looked too bucket-ish... if you get my meaning.

You're right on the shoulder pads... each artist has their rendition.. I like them shorter and bulkier .. It all boils down to personal taste.. and if you client was very pleased... you can't ask for more!! :tu:

Hope to see some more artwork soon.. It's always good to see your 40K renditions. :)

Oh, not at all, mate! I'm always one for straightforward critique, and that's just what you offered. And I had no doubt that you'd stopped by because you appreciate what I do, otherwise you wouldn't have been bothered.

I see what you mean about the bucket shape, indeed. That's perhaps something that I could've handled better, though the old armours do look quite 'funny' in that respect.

I will see if I can have something else before the week ends, so you can tell me what you think!

Hi Aeron !!

I was close not to see this one. Must come around on a more regular basis 8). Still too much light in your drawings to my very own personal opinion but you still know how to "catch the action" in a great way.

Moustache is the new IF icon !!! Ack 8).

DS

Long time no see, mate! But it's good to have you around, certainly. And vouching for darkness as usual, :P You're not too mistaken though, after all it's the 'Dark' millenium, though particularly in this piece I did want to have a huge ammount of light. They're fighting in the Holy Palace of Terra after all. If that place doesn't shine, then which one will?

Thank you for the compliments and yes, those moustaches are catching on!

I think after a while, people tend to think that rewarding people with comments is gratuitous. "This guy knows he's good, so what does he want from me?" Thats what I like to think, anyway, but that kind of thinking is very convenient in my case. I felt the same way after posting "The Ecstasy of Service" here, which seemed to get the standard 1100 pages views and 20 comments. :lol: Actually that was a super sad day...

In any case, good work. I'm predisposed to liking this, based on the fact that its subject matter is Imperial Fists, but it isn't your best work to date in the 40k arena. Your style lends itself to being rather forgiving for perspective and proportions, but I can't help think that the Imperial Fist shoulder pad most prominently displayed at center is a little 'off.'

It's always a pleasure to hear from another artist, and one such as good as yourself, mate! I'm really humbled that you stopped by and commented and I'm happy that you liked this one, though you're right that it isn't perhaps my 'very best' so far. But I like it because it has glimpses of techniques and effects I want to try further, and the subject matter as entioned, is a favourite of mine.

I hand't seen that illustration of yours, the Emperor forgive me! And being a fan of the SoB, I must say it is most excellent, though I found myself much more attracted by the wasted and barren landscape than the figure herself. I'm not a 'posts' freak, but we artists do need to hear what people think, because (after all) our work is successful or not based on their opinions and if you don't have any...

As for my style lending itself to being forgiving of perspective and proportions, I think it's the other way around, honestly. Notice how everyone thought the Sgt. looked 'chubby', because of just a little length missing in his mid-torso, and a wider chest (which, in my style, means two or three lines more!); I think when you're working with less, things become more obvious, and so you have to measure your lines, very, very carefully. That's why all these details popped up, as the shoulderpad you mentioned, which may have benefited from some lighting as Cpt. Tiberius said above, as well as a couple of more lines to define the greave.

Thank you all for posting and I hope to have some stuff by the end of the week!

Aerion.-

Archived