damon hunters as witch hunter alies

corncob

I was recently told that witch hunters could take allies from the deamon hunters codex, is this true I was under the impression that witch hunters and deamon hunters could only allie with guard or marines but not each other.

Page 21 of Codex: Daemonhunters has the rules for this. The box titled "Using Daemonhunters as Allies" is almost identical to the box on page 25 of Codex: Witch Hunters titled "Using Witch Hunters as Allies" and states that Daemonhunters may be used as allies for a Witch Hunters army (early editions state Sisters of Battle, but this has been errata-ed to mean Witch Hunters).

Page 21 of Codex: Daemonhunters has the rules for this. The box titled "Using Daemonhunters as Allies" is almost identical to the box on page 25 of Codex: Witch Hunters titled "Using Witch Hunters as Allies"

Actually, they're completely identical* save for the fact that the army whose codex you're reading is referring to itself, of course.

*Be advised that there are two printings of the DH codex.

The second one (the one you should use) is identical the WH allies section.

Page 21 of Codex: Daemonhunters has the rules for this. The box titled "Using Daemonhunters as Allies" is almost identical to the box on page 25 of Codex: Witch Hunters titled "Using Witch Hunters as Allies"

Actually, they're completely identical* save for the fact that the army whose codex you're reading is referring to itself, of course.

*Be advised that there are two printings of the DH codex.

The second one (the one you should use) is identical the WH allies section.

So they're completely identical except for one small fact? Sounds like "almost identical" to me... :D

they only difference I noticed is the adversary rule- In DH they get constant daemons if grey knights are present and if anything is used from WH the get that psyker (except necrons and Khorne armies)

I am going to tack another question I just thought of on to here because I think other people than me may be curious about it. Under daemon hosts it says they may only be used if an Inquisitor Lord is present, now does this mean a demon hunter Inquisitor Lord or just any Inquisitor Lord scince the profiles of both are identicle except for their retinues.

The new FAQs specify that an allied Inquisitor/Assassin combo must come from the same codex. While there is no ruling regarding daemonhosts, I think it's most reasonable and most sporting -- not to mention most fluffy -- to take an allied Malleus Inquisitor if you want access to daemonhosts. Even playing WH, and even if you already have a Hereticus Inquisitor. The FAQ sets the appropriate precedent.

Only the most limited RAW reading would allow a Hereticus Inquisitor to unlock a unit from another codex. But I'm sure many people will argue about it anyway because they like cheese with their beards. :rolleyes:

-- not to mention most fluffy --

I wouldn't be so sure it's most fluffy, as there are many examples of Inquisitors of other Ordos such as Eisenhorn (Ordo Xenos) having Daemonhosts...

-- not to mention most fluffy --

I wouldn't be so sure it's most fluffy, as there are many examples of Inquisitors of other Ordos such as Eisenhorn (Ordo Xenos) having Daemonhosts...

This is one of the many examples of the story fluff of Warhammer 40K being one thing, and the rules as written to allow the tabletop game balance are something else. In all the books Inquisitors are their own thing, and all of them take allies and henchmen from everything allowed in the fluff as being attached to the Inquisition. In some of the other games, Inquisitor being an example, I believe an Inquisitor can have an arco-flagellant as part of their warband. Can we do that on the tabletop? No.. because it would be hideously awesome and broken, so for game balance they don't let us do it. It's very fluffy and neat though for a story.

So, we all just have to wish we could do all these neat ideas in our head that would make sense storywise for our Inquisitors to do, but ruleswise we're stuck since they have to at least attempt to balance the game and different armies. :) Of course, if you and your friends are just playing for fun games, there's nothing written that says you can't do the neat stuff as a "campaign or scenario special rule exception."

People have argued about that with respect to the assassins. The FAQ says no to that. And the assassins, at least, are in both codexes. Daemonhosts aren't.

So it seems like the rules as they stand lean more strongly towards no.

People have argued about that with respect to the assassins. The FAQ says no to that. And the assassins, at least, are in both codexes. Daemonhosts aren't.

So it seems like the rules as they stand lean more strongly towards no.

Indeed. Since the "unlocking" verbiage is exactly the same in both cases -- that is, whether you want an assassin or a daemonhost -- why would it be OK to interpret it one way in one case (assassins) but entirely in opposition for the other, precisely analogous case (daemonhosts)? To demand the freedom to do exactly that is ... dodgy, to put it nicely.

ah not to prick but where arguing about a warhammer whats with all the legal jargon. I understand where your coming from with assassins it would be a cheesy loophole to let you take double assassins when in both codices it says you can only take one but think about it this way, in the imperial guard codex you can take a priest as an attachment to your unit (if you have one in your HQ) this priest is considered the same as the priest in the witch hunters codex and allows you to take arco flagellants and penitent engines. this priest can have different equipment depending on which codex you take him from but still is called a priest. The inquisitor lord should be the same way granted the equipment they can take is from a broader range.

Actually the FAQs specifically say you can't do that with Priests either.. apparently as far as ordering out the forces of the Ecclesiarchy, a Priest serving the Imperial Guard isn't the same as one from the Witch Hunters forces. I guess his credentials don't have enough clearance for the cool toys.

Again, it's really all about the army balance issues. The priests from the Guard Codex and the WH Codex attach to different units, and are from different Force Org charts, so therefore are different in terms of what unlocks what. It doesn't make fluff story sense, but it makes game sense since they did make sure to include these things in the FAQs.

funny I heard the thing about priests from a locale GW employ

*sigh* I would advise directing the local employee to the current Witch Hunters FAQ which states this exact question on page 4:

Q. Do Arco-Flagellants require a Witch Hunter Priest to be fielded or can an Imperial Guard Priest fulfill the requirement?

A. Yes - the Priest referred to is the Priest in the Witch Hunters Codex

Ergo, you must have a WH Priest to get WH Priest required units, IG Priests don't work. Thus the extension you must have a DH Inquisitor to get DH Inquisitor required units (Daemonhosts). Assassin's don't come up as much, since they are available to each Codex, unless you're trying to do wierd bait and switch with the 0-1 allowed Elites from each Codex when using allies.

So the short answer, that employee was wrong, the FAQ specifically states you can't do it.

I didn't mean funny in a condescending way I just meant funny that he didn't know about the FAQ

GW red- and black-shirts are no more (or less) reliable than any other John or Jane Doe gamer. Always best to check the relevant documentation yourself rather than ask them.

The new FAQs specify that an allied Inquisitor/Assassin combo must come from the same codex. While there is no ruling regarding daemonhosts, I think it's most reasonable and most sporting -- not to mention most fluffy -- to take an allied Malleus Inquisitor if you want access to daemonhosts.

For the record, I think you're being a little too lenient.

The FAQ states, "Witch Hunters and Daemonhunters are discrete types of Inquisitor."

Inquisitors cannot be discreet and indiscreet at the same time.

That would be irrational.

The language is broad, and is directly applicable to all ][ requirements,

making that ruling actually stronger than just a precedent.

At least that would be my interpretation.

Archived