Assault on Black Reach - Mod Contest Blog

SCC

As you all undoubtedly know the B&C and Da Waaagh! are holding a joint contest during September focused on the newly released Assault on Black Reach boxed set. The contest itself is dead simple, get a Terminator or Nob from AoBR (or grab the latest WD and get the free minis from there) and paint it. Then the greenskins judge the Marine entries and vice-versa.

And, as usual, some of the Mods have decided to enter the comp, partly 'cos because we're all greedy gitz who,for a change, are eligible for a prize :P but mostly 'cos painting comps around here are meant to be fun and even Mods like to have fun once in a while. And when the Mods enter a comp we try and get them to track their progress so other folks can see how we're doing and hopefully derive some motivation, or at least amusement, from out progress. With that in mind this thread will serve as a communal blog for those Mods entering the comp and you dear reader are invited to chip in with advice and encouragement and to ridicule those mods who fail to enter the comp!

Without further ado, let the blogging begin...

OK, so I've been working on my Salamander's Terminator for the Assault on Black Reach comp and I decided to give NMM a go (I blame Daeothar for this uncharacteristic reach for glory, I'll let him explain himself there :) ). So I read some tutorials, absorbed some theory and settled down to give it a go:

gallery_385_727_3084.jpg

And obviously didn't absorb quite so much as I thought I had :P

The green is building up nicely, I'm quite happy with where I am with that. And from this distance even the NMM isn't too bad. It's not gold or yellow enough, yet somehow it's not dark enough either where it should be, but it doesn't look too bad I s'pose...

On closer inspection though:

gallery_385_727_69092.jpg

Now the NMM is a quasi yellow-brown mess so that if I hadn't told you it was supposed to be NMM you'd be wondering what the hell I was trying to do on that belt skull.

NMM Gold means I need to do NMM silver for the bolter :P

I mean, I could mix'n'match, but that's a little tacky, right? So now I need to try and get a grasp on silver NMM as well as gold NMM. And despite several nice things said by several nice folks I'm still not convinced by my gold NMM so my confidence, which was high with the way the green is turning out, is on the wane right now...as am I, I'm off to bed to sleep on this whole NMM issue after I post a couple of update pics & comments for the handful of you taking the time to read this blog...

gallery_385_727_9261.jpg

• Green on torso/legs/head is done
  • Arms are in their basic green colour and need highlighting. They're proving a little tricky, especially the PF, perhaps I didn't clean it well enough or maybe the undercoat was a little funny there or something but getting a streak-free green on the back (i.e. the opposite of the palm) of the PF is proving tough
  • The Bestial Brown has been laid down for the basis of the gold NMM, I still can't figure out what's wrong with the beltbuckle, I did add some white highlights as 'reflections' though (thanks for the tip Lucifer, do I owe you my soul now? :( ). It's a little better, but still not great.

gallery_385_727_38470.jpg

• I'm actually kinda proud to say that there is, so far, no inking or glazing on this guy, I've got all my highlights through sheer hardwork. I don't know the pics are doing it justice, but mini in hand I'm very happy with the green.
  • I'm also quite proud to say that the shading is all hard work too, after the first Orkhide Shade layer was washed there's been no washing either. I've been relying heavily on washing & blacklining for shadows for a while now, actually for years, so it's nice to try a new technique and have near instant success.
  • I've also tried to highlight this guy with a definite light source in mind (well, 2 actually, one in front, one in back, I've basically imagined I had laser vision so my eyeline when I initially pick him up to paint is my light source's home and then the same when I turn him 180 to paint the back. This makes this mini very unusual for me, I normally just highlight the edges of armour plates or anywhere there's raised detail etc. I don't think I've got the whole light source thing down pat yet, but I think I've got a handle on the concept now.

So even if I don't finish this guy for the comp (1 day before my trip, then maybe 5 days to finish him off after I get back and I'll have to catch up with work & Uni then too :lol: ) I'll have learnt a lot about painting which is always good...

Oh, and I need some advice on whether to leave the shield black & try to freehand some flames on it or do something else, like paint it green & add some heraldry.

And double 'oh', I was thinking of doing the power cables from shoulder to arm in an alternating black/yellow scheme, like hazard stripes. That's partly 'cos hazard stripes are cool and partly 'cos I've got enough NMM to do already without making them silver which is probably what I'd normally do. Again, suggestions are welcome though...

Just checking in to say I'm entering. http://www.invasiongames.com/graphics/QSalute.gif

My White Dwarf just came in and the Termie is mangled of course. My AoBR box should be here on Monday though. I don't plan on posting progress pics. This contest is the opposite of my skills of course where I focus on modeling, converting, sculpting rather than painting but I will give it my best.

Where are the rest of the mods? I want to ridicule them when they don't enter I mean...congratulate them, when they enter.

Oh, and that sucks about your termie -Q-. Mine's searchlight sensor thingy above his face snapped off...and fell into thick carpet. :o ...I wonder if that counts as a conversion, I want to enter the contest...stupid snappy searchlight thingy. Anyway, hope you do a great job on your terminator -Q-. What chapter will he be?

I can't remember what I was going to say at first. I know a thing or two about green, that's why I'm doing the Ork, maybe I'll get the mini tomorrow...

Ah yes the Salemander definitely needs flames or scales or both. That is one of the coolest things about the Sali's, they're green which is good, but they have flames which is better. Scales is a more recent addition, I don't know why people are afraid of flames, I think they are easy to paint. My Hakanor's Reavers tutorial on the B&C shows one way but I know others...

Second Barret just got back from a little trip, but he says he plans to do some painting before we play again and I specifically mentioned this contest in the email I sent him...

Ambition outstrips ability...again...

I just can't get the contrasts right, I can't find the right dark colour and I can't find the right ratio of dark to light. I mean, it all looks vaguely golden, but I suspect that most yellow-brown colours look golden at this scale :lol:

gallery_385_727_38951.jpg

Side on view of the crux:

gallery_385_727_38555.jpg

Again, overall it has golden tones, but it doesn't actually look metallic golden to me. I think I need to buy a cheap, tacky gold coloured souvenir whilst on holiday and bring it back so I have a real life example I can place under a light source and see just what the hell metallic gold is supposed to actually look like :lol:

And I've decided to split the shield, half green, maybe with some sort of heraldry and half black, the black will have freehand flames on it, I figure I've got a muddle of NMM already, why not add some muddled freehand flames, eh? :)

@Muskie: I'll take a look at your tutorial and see if that helps with the flames. Bear in mind though, that even with Boltman's NMM tutorial I've only got a vaguely gold result, so I'm sure you'll understand if I continue to think of flames as tricky ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I had always been under the assumption that the wizards behind the curtain actually were interested in the hobby!?

So where are the mobs of mod's and their uber pics of freebie minis for a contest with such great prizes!

Edited for clarity about great prizes. But I won't edit the rest, this is a goad to get more mods to pledge...not a dis :)

Try pushing the bottom edge of the NMM gold to bleached bone, then hit the sharpest reflections with skull white...but not too much. I think it looks really good. Also, try glazing on a bit of thinned black on areas that look more like Snakebite Leather...this will help push your contrast a little further. If you really want to have fun, since you're obviously talented, add a few DA Green glazes throughout the gold NMM...make sure they're really thin though.

I had always been under the assumption that the wizards behind the curtain actually were interested in the hobby!?

So where are the mobs of mod's and their uber pics of freebie minis for a contest that for once has reputable prizes!

Because the honorable position of Modhood comes at a heavy price, a curse so vile and dark it's only lightly whispered about on the darkest of nights. The curse of Modhood :) Where ever you go, what ever you do, it will always result in the worst possible outcome :)

TDA

Normally the mods don't compete or have a seperate non-prize-winning category because we don't want it to come out like the Mods win because they are Mods. We've had a lot of great painters as Mods (Commander Y being the best) so it isn't for lack of talent or interest in the hobby. But since for this contest the membership of the Waaagh is voting on the Marines, we are in.

Then there is the whole mod curse thing........... :lol:

So where are the mobs of mod's and their uber pics of freebie minis for a contest that for once has reputable prizes!

Strange...everyone single board wide contest we have ever done on the B&C in the past 10 years has had multiple sponsors and large prizes so I'm not sure how this qualifies as being "for once has reputable prizes".

@ SCC:

Just a quick note on what I CAN help with (because painting and NMM are NOT things I know :)): his Heraldry shield (on the screen right shoulder) seems to have the colours inverted. That is to say, it might stand out more if the green of the shield were next to the black of his shoulder, and the black of the shield next to the green of his chest plate. Of course if the black is just a placeholder for a 'colour to be' then it won't matter.

Just a thought.

I'm back from my holiday so I'll be picking up the brush shortly to get cracking on finishing this guy off once I've played just a few more minutes of WAR, just a few more, honest...

Try pushing the bottom edge of the NMM gold to bleached bone, then hit the sharpest reflections with skull white...but not too much. I think it looks really good. Also, try glazing on a bit of thinned black on areas that look more like Snakebite Leather...this will help push your contrast a little further. If you really want to have fun, since you're obviously talented, add a few DA Green glazes throughout the gold NMM...make sure they're really thin though.

Hmm, some interesting advice there Lunchbox, getting the contrast right is my real issue with NMM so far, this might be the answer...

@ SCC:

Just a quick note on what I CAN help with (because painting and NMM are NOT things I know ): his Heraldry shield (on the screen right shoulder) seems to have the colours inverted. That is to say, it might stand out more if the green of the shield were next to the black of his shoulder, and the black of the shield next to the green of his chest plate.

Sonuva! :lol:

That never even occurred to me, you are, of course, perfectly correct and I will switch those colours around as you've suggested after I hit myself upside the head for missing the obvious ;)

I'm late / I'm late / For a very important date!

September 29th already? :angry:

OK, so I had myself an excellent holiday, I climbed a mountain, walked all over an active volcano, ate some great food, saw some very odd people and generally had fun. I've been back a few days now and I've just realised the date and, well, the Mad Hatter just sprang to mind. I've been busy with a super-secret board project you'll see the results of soon but now I need to buckle down and finish that mini in two days (University can wait that long, right?).

So, any advice on silver NMM will be most gratefully received. Particularly any examples of NMM storm bolters on Terminators that I could just emulate without actually understanding, that would be great. Like, really, really great. OK? ;)

Archived