Assault on Black Reach - Mod Contest Blog

SCC

Thanks for the link Danny, though I've abandoned all hope of NMM silver and gone metallic, I just don't have the time at the rate I paint to try it. The mix is less jarring than I'd imagined but I wouldn't say no to a loan of a time machine so I could find time to attempt NMM silver to go with the gold.

Shortcuts ahoy:

gallery_385_727_12681.jpg

So, you can see the NMM isn't working so great right now, nor is the hazard stripe piping, just looks like I forgot to paint some parts yellow. Never mind, I've only got a few hours to get him done so it'll have to do, eh?

Decals need doing, a few more NMM gold bits need (skull on wrist & ammo for the most part), the base needs some more work and I'd like to try some flames on the black area of the shield if I've got time too.

Right, back to the painting desk and good luck to anyone else out there rushing to polish off a last minute entry!

And done! B)

My entry is painted, photographed and emailed. Hopefully no one else finished and I can have all the prizes! :)

Kidding, hopefully I'll be in the top 5 mod/admin entries, though if there are 6 or more entries then that becomes doubtful...

I shan't show the final results here, but I'm very happy with my single-light source green, especially on the front and the freehand flames I added look pretty good too surprisingly. The base was a super rush job, the NMM was, umm, a 'learning experience' shall we say? I didn't have time to varnish the mini, the rushed silver metals are really quite horrible in the pics I took and the hazard stripe piping was a failure too.

That said, I learned plenty, I finally painted one of those free WD miniatures which I don't think I've ever managed before despite picking up a half dozen or more over the years and I've got a little of my painting mojo and inspiration back. Hopefully everyone else out there is enjoying the contest (as I'm in Oz I'm in one of the earliest deadline zones so I imagine a few of you are doing as I did and are frantically cramming lots of painting into the last few hours before you hit midnight) and I look forward to seeing the Ork entries here for voting and the Termie entries on Da Waaagh! for wishing they'd not been entered in time! ;)

From here it's back to the Epic Brazen Claws and possibly some 40K scale Brazen Claws too...

Thank you SCC.. truly a mod worth looking up to.

Though your skills in NMM need improvement, they are still better than many (including me). I was able to learn right along with you and find a few great pointers to enhance my own skills due to the input of others with great info and links to follow which is exactly what this forum is all about right?

Anyway, best of luck to you in the contest... I had to give up my termie (gave to my daughter so she could enter) and paint an ork this time. Tried the NMM and failed miserably. Striped and repainted with metalics, striped again and tried a mix.

Watching the Grey Wolf come to life on CMON was jaw dropping.

So keep up the great work, continue monitoring and guiding. Thank you for this topic, it really helped me out!

Son of a ....

SCC has shamed me. I think I might have enough time to paint up one of those minis. No guarantee on the quality, but to paraphrase some great author,

"'tis better to have painted and lost than to have never painted at all."

I know Barret refused to paint an unconverted model, but I thought the mods would lead by example, I know in the last contest there were more Mod entries or it seemed like it to me.

I can't say for sure but the Waaagh which must have less members as so many people play Marines + Chaos + Sisters + Inquisition but with the orks again the boxset their numbers will increase exponentially.

It is good someone posted in-progress pics, I like seeing them sometimes, I don't like bare plastic or metal. I'm curious to see all the entries, I happen to frequent both boards so I get to vote twice, but I wonder how many people might create accounts just to vote, is there some must be a member by rule to eliminate this, or does it log IPs to prevent vote stuffing?

Any way cheers and I look forward to Oct. 3rd to see people's interpretations. Without conversions it is a leveler playing field but I still expect some interesting takes on soon to be very common models.

@ Brother Richard: Thanks! Glad someone was able to draw some inspiration from my efforts. And yeah, the NMM needs work, a lot of work, but I can only get better right? :D

I know Barret refused to paint an unconverted model, but I thought the mods would lead by example, I know in the last contest there were more Mod entries or it seemed like it to me.

Most B&C only comps have a separate section for Mods (who are normally ineligible for prizes) so we happily show off our entries as inspiration for others to enter. In this case Mods can win prizes and have thus chosen to preserve their anonymity (as directed by the rules) by not showing their minis for this comp. Rest assured that there are quite a few Mod entries in this comp and they'll be revealed, along with everyone else's, post-judging. I get to flaunt the rules 'cos I know I won't win or place (there are Mods entering whose skills far surpass mine, let alone the legions of Frater who paint better than I do) and in the freak event that my entry's number is confused with that of a really good one and I somehow place I'll quite happily renounce any prize and it'll pass to the next-highest vote getter as my anonymity is compromised.

but I wonder how many people might create accounts just to vote, is there some must be a member by rule to eliminate this, or does it log IPs to prevent vote stuffing?

Both boards have rules against sock-puppets/multiple accounts, so there's no need to fear that people will rig the voting plus Kurgan and Da Waagh! Adminz are always on the look out for competition shenanigans, we've DQ'd folks for irregularities before and there'll be no hesitation to do so again if it's warranted I'm sure.

Archived