Imperial Fists 5th Company

AlexCrute

Terminators you say? Well yes indeed there will be terminators, but I had promised myself I'd finish half a battle company before I go off painting all the fun stuff.

The assault squad is disassembled and primed. Awaiting motivation to break out my airbrush to slap the peachypuke on them, as I have lost my large brush. I shall have to revisit my WIP thread presently.

I never painted an assault marine before. Should be fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Battle-company status: 45% complete

But when did I learn how to suck at photography?

gallery_11030_1089_86962.jpg

Way better photo of most of the above:

gallery_11030_1089_11826.jpg

Sarge has a pose, but lacks a name:

gallery_11030_1089_166987.jpg

'Look ma, I have a magnet in my neck':

gallery_11030_1089_90981.jpg

Updated army pic:

gallery_11030_1089_237274.jpg

And again:

gallery_11030_1089_162297.jpg

5 more assault marines to go (20% done) and then on to mysteries and surprises after that.

It's good to see you're still pumping out the Imperial Fists models. Haven't you gotten tired of painting yellow yet? I know I have haha. It's taking quite a bit for me to get back to finishing mine. Awesome work.

Thanks for the replies folks, it's nice to know I'm still being watched.

I'm actually not sick of painting yellow. I think I learned something, that is if I paint to a standard that I can be proud of then the de-motivation never sets in. Real life continues to happen at a rate of knots (y'know how that is) and it's often more than a week between painting sessions but the motivation remains to work on another little project that turns into a good result. And then another then another.

I found that what stopped me was mistakes and error correction, so I started to employ a 'slow is fast' mentality, and it's turning out good so far.

Haha, guess it's different for me. When I get to a paint to a standard that I like, I keep on going until I burn out :)

Are you planning on doing anything with the banners? I've noticed you've left them blank, same with the shoulder pads. Any thoughts on freehanding the chapter symbol or some freehand work for the Chap'n'Cap's banners?

I love your painting style which is very similar to mine (but yours definitely the better one).

You showed so many use of magnet's, can you post some WIP picts which shows them? I would realy appriciate that :)

I must be a grass-is always-greener guy, cos I really like the look of yours Nordy.

Magnets are easy, but I spose I can whip up a tut or something. I'll put that on my getting-around-to-it list.

(The secret is acquiring 3mm diameter x 1mm thickness disc magnets, and then a 3mm drill bit and pin vice, drilling the hole to house the magnets, but then swizzle it around to make the hole slightly larger than the magnet - because you want the magnet to go all the way in and then sit flush. Protruding magnets = problem)

• 1 month later...

A milestone of sorts, half a battle company and a total of 3 characters completed as of today.

The updates:

Mr Librarian Man

gallery_11030_1089_56685.jpg

2nd half of Squad Pratenko

gallery_11030_1089_217460.jpg

Terminators are next I promise. They're all broken down and primed, so check back here in....a month's time or so?

Awesome job, Alex. Very nice fists, the yellow is as always excellent. Maybe tomorrow I'll try and start to paint a Fist, I've always liked the fluff.

One comment- the Assault Marines look very Static, their great anyway but they really have got an 'assault marine' feel

Brother Vespasian

That's a pretty wicked looking Librarian. Also have to agree with Vespasian. Never liked the tactical legs on the assault marines. I always felt that assault marines needed that element of movement in them. Still awesome paint job though. Look forward to seeing more.

Gratz for half company :)

Nice work like the rest before. I realy need to paint faster (and more of course) to match up with you :D

The Libirian is awesome!

You guys are totally right about the static assault squad, *shrug* too late now I guess. My other assault squad will be drop-pod mounted (no jump packs) so they'll have an excuse for looking flat-footed at least.

I'm happy with the Librarian, although I could go on finishing the finished bits for another two weeks, you gotta learn when to say no to the paintbrush.

I was worried for a while that he might look like a Night Lord, but you'll probably only notice that now that I've said it. I think his brightness and cleanness keeps him out of that territory. And if not, well you are what you eat (he eats Night Lords - geddit? *sigh*)

I played two games with this painted army (as well as about 6000pts of other stuff) and won both of them! Huzzah! That's paint-karma for you.

I was worried for a while that he might look like a Night Lord, but you'll probably only notice that now that I've said it.

Mm, well, to be honest, I thought of saying that before, but refrained from doing so...

Anyway, nice painting as always. Perhaps is just to do with the location of the shot but, those Assault Marines look very shiny :P

Archived