Imperial Fists 5th Company

AlexCrute

Most excellent Fists, brother, the golden yellow is to die for, and judging from the already sweet pics it looks like they're even better IRL (taking pics of Fists always seems to wash away half of the highlights :P ). 5th Company is lucky to have you as master artificer.

@Terminatorinhell: The librarian's head is from the Master of Recruits, with a GS beard. I hated that head until I bearded it (can't waste a metal head now can we?) Now it's close to my favourite.

@Crimson Fury: The power weapon recipe is kinda easy: Ice Blue basecoat, Skull White highlight (line highlighting), then hit it with Asurmen Blue wash. Done.

@Obliterator: Yeah I dunno about the photography. I think they look better in photos, but maybe it's just cos when I photo them they are well-lit. *wonders how to illuminate whole gaming table...*

Got to say those Fists look awesome.

I just got back into 40K after being out for...well let's just say I was playing 2nd Edition. Now getting back in I've decided to build an IF army because I like thier fluff and all that yellow just looks so cool! Trying to do it the right way i.e. ordered the IF shoulderpads from GW and Rhino doors from FW. But anywho I wanted ask you how you did you bases I really like the look of them and how it sets off the yellow, so what did you use for your standard bases and I really want to know how you did your character bases is that all greenstuff?

Alex, I've really enjoyed following this thread. I've always said it is far more impressive to me to see a painted army (at a decent level) than any single 'amazing' figure work. It's truly a beautiful army with lots of inspiring touches.

But I have to ask you for your process. I know there are a few links back to an old 'bright marines' tutorial, but it's pretty dated. It predates the GW airbrush, and the new paints/washes.

I am coming back to Loyalist Marines myself after a long hiatus to evil marine land. I have it down to Blood Ravens and Imp Fists. Your thread inspired me to really give Imp Fists a shot.....

I tried Tua Sept Foundation and a wash of "golden yellow" watered down. It looked terrible. A far lower standard than I'd want. So do you mind if I ask what your process is? Are you airbrushing these? Are you using foundation paints? Or just primer then yellow?

Thanks for the kind words chaps. I agree about army vs single model Prot, quantity has a quality all of its own as they say...

The yellow recipe is:

Spray white undercoat (you want a solid coat)

Peachpuke (Orange/white mix about 1:3 - I used Fiery Orange which is OOP)

White highlight on Peachpuke (thinned to milk)

Yellow ink everywhere

brown ink blacklining

My advice to you would be to get ahold of a skintone in spray form. Peachpuke is Fiery Orange (OOP) and Skull White, but it looks similar to Elf Flesh or some other pale skintone. I don't think GW makes one, but The Army Painter might, or some other paint manufacturer. Obviously it has to be acrylic, and has to be matt finish (otherwise paint won't stick = anger).

The other critical ingredient is Yellow Ink (also OOP). It's irreplaceable for me (since I've already started my army), but for you starting from scratch, you may be able to subsitute another manufacturer's yellow ink. You could the new GW washes but I think they're too different.

If you can track down the yellow ink then you can spray white, spray skintone/peach, dip in yellow (literally or figuratively), then conventionally brownline and detail from there.

Whatever you do, make sure it is sustainable/duplicatable, because changing recipes mid-army = anger.

*Was present when Libby O' Doom was beginning to be painted*

He's looking good, Alex. I can't say I like the highlights quite that bright, but to each their own.

I need to get over to your place to finish off some Sisters and update my thread.

Thanks Alex.

I remembered have a 3 year old bottle of yellow ink somewhere, but that's gone. I went back to the GW site, and sure enough... as you mentioned it's discontinued. I wonder if (since I would be starting from scratch) I could make a wash that I could airbrush on? A Golden Yellow + water wash. Might work.

Thanks for the advice. I do think the Tau Sept Ochre appears to be a good base coat.

• 3 months later...

Nice work your army has grown! Can't wait for close ups.

I can see 5 tanks in the lower part of the second pic. Whats on your painting table atm?

Greetings from a son of Dorn

So, close-ups then:

Brother-Captain Burnvictim* and retinue:

gallery_11030_1089_235484.jpg

*Will get a better name when he gets a better face. Possibly never.

Grey Knights:

gallery_11030_1089_282329.jpg

Squad Pryman of the Honoured First:

gallery_11030_1089_252220.jpg

Captain Elias Grimm of the 5th Company:

gallery_11030_1089_86645.jpg

He may be a son of Dorn but he fights an awful lot like the Khan...

Except when it comes out that he taught Sicarius everything he knows:

gallery_11030_1089_23821.jpg

Grimm's Command Squad:

gallery_11030_1089_160488.jpg

Not points effective?

How about this?

gallery_11030_1089_52573.jpg

Or this?

gallery_11030_1089_156797.jpg

Hey i love your command squad! Very well done as everything else you have done so far. The emperor guides you. Maybe you should do some battle report, i would appreciate that!

I will get my Cpt this weekand as i'm on hollydays in London ;)

Greetings from your fellow 5th company Cpt! *salute*

• 1 month later...

These are truly amazing models, great job duder ^^

It's probably been asked already but screw it I'm lazy, how did you get such an excellent yellow?

I fail at painting yellow but want to do an Imperial Fists or Lamenters army.

His recipe for yellow is actually Court Jester's with added laziness.

Spray white undercoat.

Spray or lightly brush on 'peachpuke' (about 1:3 orange to white, brother used fiery orange which is OOP)

Either dip or paint entirely in diluted yellow ink (can't remember what kind of consistency, Alex will tell you when he gets on)

Add blacklining in recesses with undiluted brow ink.

Voila!

Owen is right except I line-highlight the peachpuke colour with pure white (diluted only for workability, not so much for translucence - the highlights need to be stark or else yellow ink hides them). Yellow ink goes over that, then brownlining with brown ink (you could use anything dark for that, but I think black would be too dark).

Also the peachpuke isn't a light coat. It's better if its very heavy and solid colour.

Archived