why go crazy on bases?

i can understand if the model is for a modeling/painting contest, but when u play a game, dont you think it looks tacky to have one kind of terrain (say...the cliche grass and dirt thing) on another kind of field? (say...arctic tundra) i honestly think a plain black base looks best unless ur army only plays on one kind of field which imo would get rather boring...

am i the only one who thinks that, or do think so but just find the reward from having an amazing looking model enough to make up for it?

I like to base my models in a theme. Yes, it's a little jarring when my rocky desert wasteland bases are on green felt (the most common material I see on tables) but I still think they look good as a part of the model. And that's the real point for me, the base is a part of the model. I wouldn't put shoddy tires on a show car either.

Exactly right. Unless your a fan of transparent bases, I think a model doesn't look finished until its been based, it lifts the models, makes it appear interactive and more three dimensional. Not to mention, its a requirement at some tournaments.

To me (and most of my friends) a plain black base just looks so lazy. I can understand the why, but c'mon even sand painted black and very lightly dry brushed would achieve the same effect but make your model look 100% better...

But saying that, there is one thing worse than no basing. Bad basing (imo) hurts my eyes. Its ok for begginers, young uns etc. as the improvement comes with patience, ability and time. But on older lazy gamers, who can use some pretty awful techniques (totally false looking ancient flock, plain sand, base painted green etc.) to me looks apalling.

Maybe I'm a basing snob, I don't know.

But you asked :>

Yep I am another like base be it adding Skellies/dead bodies of Black Templars or Ruins on my Iron Warriors showing a campign there fighting/fit with my theme/background. Just add life to the army IMO & also the base is somthing that can make or break you army in looks.

You can have the best painted army in the world yet the base can let them down say useing the old School 90's green flock base.

I find it great seeing City Fight style base, or a dead bodies from army your force might have (background wise) had a campign against.

Who care if your gaming board/where you play boards are diffrent. What matter is that your army look cool & as said IMO base them bring them to life. Also conversion alway help bring a army to life sort of speak :P

But everone allowed there own view & it there army up to them how they want there force to look over all end of the day ;) :D

Just my though really :D

IP

Also before I forget, WD had a article saying about the base & how much you can add onto it being a blank canvis (spelling?? the stuff artiest paint onto?). So only limit was your mind as you can have a simple grass looking base (as said above with 90's flock style) to a all out war torn battle feild.

I consider my bases to be "simple."

They're just sand and a random object.

First I drill the holes for pinning the model's feet to the base. Then I trace around the feet with a pencil, showing me where I can leave blank.

Then I pick a random item from my basing junk collection. Mostly it's pieces of broken clay, bits of cork, or mangled sprue or other bases. I've also got a few springs, computer case screws, and other random small junk. I superglue this object or two to the base.

Next comes a thinned coat of Elmer's white glue. Then I pour a huge helping of craft sand on it. Let it sit for a full day to cure.

I come back, and heavily wash the sand with a dark brown paint. Let dry. Drybrush with a mid-brown. Then sparingly drybrush with a tan color. Then paint the object (as a rock, but of twisted scrap, etc).

Makes for a simple base that accents the model. the object added to the base breaks up the monotony of the sand. I have also used some slotta bases with non-slotta models. Just lay overlapping strips of greenstuf to make a granite rock sticking up out of the ground.

As for appearing odd on another colored board...meh. Folks seem more impressed with the work I put into the bases than the fact that they don't match the snow board they're on at the moment.

while not the most important part of a mini, (IMO) basing is still super-important! it adds more depth and realism to a miniature - but can also create oppurtunities for conversions - for example, an urban rubble themed base means minis can be altered and converted to be scrambling over the terrain...this works particularily well with flying units like assault marines and Landspeeders (the ones with the highest wow factor you'll find here on the B&C will utilise basing to the maximum - which couldnt be done with a standard black one :P

or, from my kind of viewpoint: it looks cool :)

although, i have to say, spending hours making sweet urban bases then playing on boards themed differently is VERY annoying...buts its very cool when i do play on urban bases :D and its really satisfying when people (and members of store staff!) come over and talk to me about te work thats gone into my minis. and THATS satisfying - a warm, fuzzy feeling :)

<<Damascus>>

:wacko: I'm glad to know that I'm not the only freak on the board!

I've always kind of wondered why folks were so set on basing. I kind of understand the visual appeal of it, but when it really comes down to it, I have more issues with wildly mismatched basing and battlegrounds (green grass on arctic, Mars, or ship interiors--or the other way 'round: space ship interior on green grass? :sick: ) than I do with no basing.

My brain "fills in" better than it "removes".

:lol: I'm glad to know that I'm not the only freak on the board!

I've always kind of wondered why folks were so set on basing. I kind of understand the visual appeal of it, but when it really comes down to it, I have more issues with wildly mismatched basing and battlegrounds (green grass on arctic, Mars, or ship interiors--or the other way 'round: space ship interior on green grass? :) ) than I do with no basing.

My brain "fills in" better than it "removes".

high five on freakyness

but what really gets me, is when people put things like parts of buildings in the base.

like i've seen a base w/ a dread, and a broken archway/doorway thing behind it, and those crappy plastic ruins u got in the 3rd ed? starter set hiding snipers.

if ur in a city those work out great, but if ur on steppes and the only 'buildings' are huts or tents, it just looks awful to me.

but like i said, i can understand if its for a contest or something.

Why bother painting your forces at all..I mean to your logic one week they could be Ultramarines, the next week Khorn Bezerkers..

People paint and detail their bases just like their figures because they want to.. no other reason really.

To each their own..why question it.

i base my models according to the actual model itself.

my catachans had jungle bases, my night lords will have barren bases with dead leaves on them and no doubt my marines will have snow bases when i get round to starting a 2nd project.

if you put a model on a base that fits fluff then it improves the quality by 100%

i cant stand LAZY basing, i dont mind bad basing because normally its for a reason (ie fresh meat to the hobby) but someone who just paints bases green needs a whallop and figures confiscated :P

The type of basing first typified by the LOTR miniatures generally works best on the largest variety of terrain. A brown base edge with a sandy brown textured top with a bit of static grass or flock. On a desert table, it looks like a bit of vegetation that crops up here and there. On a standard table, it fits fine. On a rocky or city table, you have the grass growing between paving stones and the like. Generally speaking, a brown base that's textured with sand and dry brushing and a small use of static grass or flock will look the least out of place on any terrain. Give it a go.

Models just don't look finished without bases. I think it's as simple as that.

It isn't as though basing is difficult. Just get some playground sand, glue it to the base before priming, then slop on one color and drybrush with a lighter shade. Done. You can get more fancy if you like with flock or bits, but just two-tone sand looks fine.

I personally like an entire army with a coherent basing scheme. I designed my home table to match my army bases such that I'm really on the "home field."

Why bother painting your forces at all..I mean to your logic one week they could be Ultramarines, the next week Khorn Bezerkers..

People paint and detail their bases just like their figures because they want to.. no other reason really.

To each their own..why question it.

wow, maybe if u take my logic to the very most extreme.

but like the other guy said, its easier to fill in a black base mentally with what fits with the terrain, than it is to totally replace it mentally.

or hell normally i just ignore the fact that theres even a base sometimes when im actually playing.

hes not taking it to the extreme.

if you are going to leave models unbased you may aswell just buy them and stick them .

or just pile up the pieces on the base and say counts as.

or just stick the guns to the base.

you are paying £18 for 10 models. and putting hours of effort into painting them in a detailed fashion.

it takes 2 minutes to stick flock and sand on a base, and another 2 minutes to drybrush it.

its pure lazyness if you dont

No, your both missing my point.

My point is why worry about what others do..and just do your own thing and be happy. If one guy wants to play the game with minimal effort..that's his choice, if another wants to spend 100's of hours doing custom conversions and advanced basing that's his piece of the hobby. To question what others do or don't isn't the point.

The whole goal here is model, paint and play..have fun. Its just a game.

it takes 2 minutes to stick flock and sand on a base, and another 2 minutes to drybrush it.

its pure lazyness if you dont

That's odd, I thought it was my preference for the look of the model and not any level of sloth or industriousness.

After all, I earned the green that bought my figures. I got myself to the shop and parted with said green. I designed the paint scheme. I assembled the models and "spent hours" painting them. That's an awful lot of work going into being lazy.

Different strokes for different folks is all, just like dragonforge said. And if someone's content with their figures (no matter how well or how poorly they compare to your own figures) then that's his or her business.

I do it both because I think it really helps finish of a miniature and also because I enjoy it and find it fun. Transparent bases might look interesting though!

omg, that is a pretty good idea right there :P

solves my problem :P

I bet someone like Litko could help you with that. http://www.litkoaero.com/ They laser cut acrylic plastics. They make 25mm round bases with a slot in plywood but I bet if you ask they could cut it from acrylic.

http://www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/CTGY/MB_CB_25

worth an email to them.

a finished base is required for most tournies, at least it was for the RTT's I played in.

I didn't do my bases until I signed up for my 1st tourny, but I was surprised at how much difference it made to the look of the models (my bases were just painted green b4 that). My bases are simple, painted green like I said, then added green flock, mixed with tea (yea, right out of the tea bag), the green flock by itself was to "astroturf" looking. Painted muddy footprints on the bases of some of the models that had "running" legs.

I did mine green b/c the 2 boards I played on most often were green.

I understand the point that it might look alittle "off" when the base doesn't match the table, but I still think it looks better then shiny, black, plastic bases.

a finished base is required for most tournies, at least it was for the RTT's I played in.

I didn't do my bases until I signed up for my 1st tourny, but I was surprised at how much difference it made to the look of the models (my bases were just painted green b4 that). My bases are simple, painted green like I said, then added green flock, mixed with tea (yea, right out of the tea bag), the green flock by itself was to "astroturf" looking. Painted muddy footprints on the bases of some of the models that had "running" legs.

I did mine green b/c the 2 boards I played on most often were green.

I understand the point that it might look alittle "off" when the base doesn't match the table, but I still think it looks better then shiny, black, plastic bases.

but what counts as finished? if i ever enter a tournament, i will have to raise that question if thats a requirement.

hell, theres nothing more for me to do to my bases to get them to look as i want them to, so i guess they're pretty much as finished as they're gonna get :D

I never used to go crazy on them, but I've decided to put a fair amount of effort into bases for all my new models that I'm painting for one simple reason: I can. Why go crazy painting the mini and then put him on just a plain, ordinary black plastic base that adds nothing?

Archived