why go crazy on bases?

Bases, pfft. Just grab some model train terrain crap, glue it down.

And your good to go. A 4 dollar bag of model train grass goes a long way.

Sure they look dull, but hey, it looks like I put SOME effort into it.

I only did because of Tourney rules. I'm not entirely sure why they want terrain bases, but whateverrrrr. Whatever floats their boats.

Why leave a base black though? How many black tables are there?! If you want it to match a table I would paint them brown or green or grey .... and that is a quick easy job with a can of car spray paint - could do a whole armys worth in minutes (without drying time of course)

I personally spend quite a while on my bases because my armys are done for display and only a bit of gaming, the base makes your model stand out and will help a good paintjob if done right

L

I do it because i like to. That's all there is to it.

But in retrospect it also originally gave me an excuse to smudge my marines with dirt and mud as if they've been in the field a while in bad weather. Now i also have to admit that i'm doing it pretty simple on ordinary foot soldiers while bikes and characters get a little extra mile.

The way I always saw it is as fallows.

The model is the miniature on the base and the base as well. It's the whole thing. The rim of the base is what "frames" it, much like a picture frame.

I always model terrain of some kind. That could be as simple as sand glued on and painted/dry-brushed for rank & file troops, or something as elaborate as a mini-diorama for characters.

It's just my personal preference. After all, I'm into the hobby 90% of the time for the modeling/painting.

Why base? Its part of the hobby. I've always done it to varying degrees and always will.

Alot of people get alot more enjoyment from seeing 2 fully painted and based armies fighting it out regardless fo style of the base. I find the majority of people who dont base are people who have never been involved in such a game and dont fully appreciate the difference it makes to your gaming experience.

Yes it isn't the greatest sight to see marines going around in the arctic wastes with a mini desert at their feet but its alot better than seeing marines going around on top of their own personal black holes.

Ultimately, alot of gamers i know aswell as myself would play someone who had based their models regardless of their quality than play someone who quite simply didnt bother.

I cant see the point in basing, which is why im going to but some sand, spray it black, and drubrush brown!, takes like, 10 seconds!

that is basing - it doesnt have to be hard - something small like that is good basing, and certainatly looks great with awell painted mini, certaintly better than a plain black base! :)

your a baser :P

<<Damascus>>

Ultimately, you go as far as you want to with basing...kinda like you go as far as you want to with painting or conversions. The thing that bugs me the most is people think that others are doing wrong things with the hobby. In the end, you do what you want with your plastic. You paid for them, and they are yours.

I personally like to give my army(ies) a feel/theme, and I mostly achieve this through the bases. But you don't have to!

I'm definitely in the pro-basing camp.

The base is more than just something for the miniature stand on - it helps tell the miniature's story. Ok, that marine is charging the enemy, or that one is providing covering fire for his squad mates, but surely there's more to it than that?

It doesn't really matter what basing theme you go for, it all adds to the story. My marines have swamp bases, so let's look at that fella that's charging the enemy again; he's having to splash forward through the swamp risking getting his foot caught on somthing unseen below the manky water... And what about that guy providing covering fire? He was going to kneel down to improve his aim, but what about the magazines stored in the pouches attached to his greaves? If he kneels down, they'll get wet. If they get wet, they may not work properly. If they don't work properly, his battle-brothers may die because he can't provide the covering fire they need. Maybe he should just stand and fire instead...

There's more to a base than just something nice to stand on; the base completes the snapshot in time.

Sometimes I find that I enjoy modeling the base more so than the miniature itself. If that makes the hobby more enjoyable for some players then why not? I believe RT said it best above, the base can go a long way to telling a story and serve the pragmatic function of its role in game play.

Speeders blasting their way over a dug-in Chaos position:

gallery_15218_535_113064.jpg

An attack bike crew gaining shelter in city ruins:

gallery_15218_535_338718.jpg

Chaos daemons emerging from summoning circles:

gallery_15218_2494_76024.jpg

Nurglings leveraging their explosive close combat abilities:

gallery_15218_535_75798.jpg

See- sometimes more fun than the models themselves.

-OMG

its no more prejudice than saying they should have to play against those players if they dont want to

its your choice to play anyone...maybe its nto as fun a game if the models you are playing against look like a 3 month old puked all over them

for some, ugly scenery is a turn off....other unfinised bases

to say someone is being a jerk, is simply making yourself look like a fool, because you are doing the same but opposite...instead of being oevrly picky, you are being extra free

just like those who play tournaments "for fun" and whine about those who are there to compete...its...a tournament....its for competing...if you dont like competitive people dont play in tournaments, but they are no more "jerks" than you would be for doing the opposite of them

the point of bases is it allows you to create a scene and atmosphere for your army

for the person who said bases get a lot of attention at GDs, well they arent as time consuming as you think...but the base is what delivers the scene and atmosphere, an ugly base but great paint job ruins the effect...a great base however will help make a poor paint job look a bit better(generally)

its the same idea as buying the real GW books and printing copies or pdfs...pdfs and copies bug the hell out of me in anything more than a couple pages, i cant stand it...where as some will go "it saves you money why would you not print them off" because the money is worth not pissing me off

in this case, the time that goes into bases(and sometimes money) is worth how pleasing the final result is

thats pretty much it

Yes OwlandMoonGuy, but if another player didn't want to put any effort into his bases, would you still play him? That's what I don't understand, is people who refuse to play another simply because their bases aren't as good, seems a bit prejudiced to me.

we just call those poeple retarded. one of my friends rarly paints his, who cares?

I paint and base because i like to, not because it makes a difrrence to my game.

as for the OP, Why do people base.. becasue they want to... i could go on a whole artistic thing about it, but when it comes down to it, no one cares, if yu base, you base, if you don't you dont...

Yes OwlandMoonGuy, but if another player didn't want to put any effort into his bases, would you still play him? That's what I don't understand, is people who refuse to play another simply because their bases aren't as good, seems a bit prejudiced to me.

I’d have to say that’s their prerogative. If their standard of presentation is GD+ paint for every model + scenic bases then so be it. Seems like that might limit your gaming opportunity somewhat but hey, whatever shoots you boltgun.

So I’d be happy to play someone that didn’t have elaborate bases. No problem.

Some people acclimate more to the modeling than the game and vice versa. The old GT standard (back when they were actually enforced) was; painted with at least three colors and uniformly based. That’s a great standard that should also cover all those who are not so into the painting/modeling side of the hobby.

Lately I’ve been playing more with groups that don’t have any such standards at all. Empty round bases pass as whatever the player says they are. :sick: I have found that people who are unwilling to make ANY kind of investment in their army also tend to be less fun to play.

So again, I’d be happy to play vs. a model army w/o crazy bases. Regardless, I prefer to play vs. gamers who like to make as much of an investment in their armies as I do.

-OMG

Archived