GD06 Vet Sarge

Brother Atheos

Ok so i was going to do a rush job DIY for the impending assault of the new SM codex however after having read a few pages earlier i've decided to dig out, touch up and finish my crimson fists i did many moons ago. Now as I said, i did the army many moons ago (5 years!) when my painting standard was alot lower than it is now.

Anyway why do i need help? I havent painted in a while and although i feel pretty happy with my technique i wanted to get some critique with regards to colour.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/fezuk/IMG_1703.jpg

It will eventually be a Crimson Fist and be used to represent Kantor during games. In the pic the blue looks alot more balanced and defined than in the flesh where the highlights appear (to my eyes) quite desaturated.

I did the following steps:

1)Necron Abyss basecoat

2)Regal blue edging

3)regal - UM 50:50

4)UM

5)UM+drop of white.

I'm considering going back after the highlights and giving it a light Badab Black wash to give the recesses a touch more depth.

I deliberatly avoided enchanted blue as in previous attempts it had looks too bright and rich for my tastes yet now it seems to be too pale :wacko:

Look forward to your feeback.

What can i say? I guess i'm too self critical. After much staring i decided enough was enough and pressed on. I've now done the blue on the left arm, added some silver to see how the balance is and had a shot at the red.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/fezuk/IMG_1704.jpg

think i'll get the torso finished and start the skin today then tackle the PF and lower half tomorrow.

Wow. 151 views and only one person took the 2 seconds it takes to let me know what they thought.

anyway, i've done the skin but im not too happy with it. I think i need to get a bit more lightness in it. teeth etc still need doing and the metal has had a wash and needs highlighting again.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/fezuk/IMG_1706.jpg

I'd really appreciate it if some of you guys could take the time to give me some feedback as i really want this to be one of my better pieces of work.

Thanks.

I know man, sometimes replies are slow, or sparse, no one knows why, there are just a lot of lurkers around.

Anyway. I'm loving the blue armour, looking top notch, maybe a few thinned glazes will help smooth out the painting, and provide those all important 'hidden tones' that the viewer doesnt recognise, but generates even smoother painting to the eye.

the face is looking very very good. I would add a few more, minimal highlights, some head stubble (if your feeling adventurous) and once again a build up of a few very thin glazes.

Great job! and don't lose heart!!

Thanks for the feedback Nurglespuss.

I took your advice with the glazes and its worked well on the skin so far. tried it on a test mini to see how it would look on the armour and im undecided. I think i'll finish off the blue tomorrow and then see what everyone thinks.

ANyways im really enjoying the look im creating on this guy so im gonna give my CF army (or what i can find of it) a facelift and get myself 5th ed friendly.

The tatters of my army

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/fezuk/IMG_1707.jpg

And the chaplain just because he kicks ass...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/fezuk/IMG_1710.jpg

Very nice work on that GD '06 model. To bad my idiot of a sister dropped mine into an "INSIK-ERATOR" garbage disposal which ruined it for even converting. so I slapped some purple and pink on it, put it on a base and called it a chaos spawn count as for games...

:blink:

How you get in to do those tiny eyes is beyond me! I can barely see them let alone get a brush in there! Good skills!

I was suprised myself when i did them. The whites of the eyes wasnt the hard part as all i had to do was run the tip of the brush across the surface. the pupils was where i got lucky. I noticed my FD brush had picked up a hair/small fibre off the table so i loaded the end up with a drop of paint and hoped for the best. dont think i'll be able to replicate it though :teehee:

As far as finishing the GD mini goes, i got a feeling it should be nearing completion in around... 4 hours! huzzah!

I really like the blue you have come up with there bud, maybe to really bring it out, make the chainmail quite a light silver? Also Kudos on his face and his eyes, good effort, always find it easier to paint the eyes first and then do the flesh around them, but however you managed it good effort! i love that chaplain as well, the model itself and the paint, get some more of that army up for us to see!

S.O.N.

I've reached a point and im lost for ideas...

What colour should i do the storm bolter casing? A part of me says to leave it silver to give it a very gritty, built for purpose look, another part says to do it black so that it doesnt draw attention to it and yet another part suggests (like a madman) to do it gold.

I'll finish the bit im doing, take a pic and see what you guys think. also before i forget, how should i base them? im looking at a snowy look but im not convinced.

Hi Ho!

Loe that chaplain, first time Ive liked that model painted by anyone!!

OK the bolter... well I would be tempted by one of two options (personally) black with chips, scuffs and scrapes of grey with the same. SOmethign that says 'I am a piece of equipment' as it is a large weapon, on a relatively small character piece.

Or, depending on how adventurous your feeling, black, with some scroll work to break it up, and make it look more ornate?

Hope that helps!!

Metcalfedan:

It wasnt anything too taxing, i think about 4 layers.

-Dark flesh and dwarf flesh mix for the basecoat

-Dark flesh and even more dwarf flesh

-dwarf flesh

-dwarf flesh and elf flesh

Thanks, I will be following your progress, son of Dorn.

Ok so i've finally gotten round to another pic

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/fezuk/IMG_1714.jpg

got another coat of red to do on the PF aswell as 2 highlights and the details, need to finish off the chainmail and highlight the gold.

Once that's done its backpack, base and bravo!

Ooh i mustnet forget to sort out the "soft " armour aswell...

funny you should say that... when i was younger and frequently visited my local GW there was a kid there who had a thing for putting minis in his mouth. Very strange child he was. Funniest incident was when he crammed some dark eldar in his mouth and couldnt get them back out. There was blood and everything.

Woohoo he's virtually finished now. Just need to let a wash dry then slap his backpack on and take a pic for you jolly fellows.

Now whilst im waiting for it all to dry and im sourcing batteries for my camera, what shall i do next?

I've got a choice of the following to assemble...

1x Commander + Cmd Squad

6X Tac Squads of 10

4x Dev Squads

Loads of Rhinos

Attempt to convert Calgar and his honour guard

Land Raider Terminus

Or finish painting my highly dubious CF Baneblade complete with banner waving loon in the top hatch :cry:

Choices choices...

funny you should say that... when i was younger and frequently visited my local GW there was a kid there who had a thing for putting minis in his mouth. Very strange child he was. Funniest incident was when he crammed some dark eldar in his mouth and couldnt get them back out. There was blood and everything.

Oh my Imperator. Ouch. Spiky. Very spiky.

I like the look of your completed miniature but I think from looking at the finish you achieved on the head that you could really try blending on the armour. For example you could use a slightly lighter blue on the top parts of the chest - just my two pence. With the silver parts I would personally add just a fine highlight of mithril silver as it would suit the character of this mini. Hope that helps?

thanks for the comment jetfire. I have always been cautions when it comes to blending. I guess i'll have to find an odd mini and have a go. As for the silver, believe it or not it is up to mithril already lol. i think the lighting isnt playing cricket.

Anyway i said i'd have a pic and here he is in all his ork-hating, Powerfist waving glory!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/fezuk/IMG_1716.jpg

Next up - Tactical Squad 1! (Any naming suggestions for the squad or the sarge would be welcome)

Archived