Codex news from UK Games Day

Kurgan the Lurker

I ended up going to one of the Seminars (friend didn't want his ticket), and though pretty pointless (too much time wasted on presentations of stuff we already know, not enough for questions) and though there wasn't any real news, there was one mildly nifty tidbit.

There won't be a combined Inquisition Codex, nor will there be a third, Alienwatch codex. However, apparently will be updated eventually, and will be centered more around Grey Knights and Sisters.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts.../30/218226.page

I ended up going to one of the Seminars (friend didn't want his ticket), and though pretty pointless (too much time wasted on presentations of stuff we already know, not enough for questions) and though there wasn't any real news, there was one mildly nifty tidbit.

There won't be a combined Inquisition Codex, nor will there be a third, Alienwatch codex. However, apparently will be updated eventually, and will be centered more around Grey Knights and Sisters.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts.../30/218226.page

I'd have to say that I'm taking anything and everything that is being rumoured regarding C:WH/DH/AH/combined =][= with a good unhealthy pinch of salt. I asked much the same questions during the 5th ed release weekend when Phil Kelly and krew had a questions and answers session after the launch seminar. The response was fairly solid that nothing =][= wise has even been considered at this juncture and we're unlikely to see anything in the forseeable future (FW GK stuff aside).

I really don't think that anything can be confirmed or debunked at this point, even if GW is saying one thing we all know that plans can and do frequently change (hands up who remembers C:SM redux being debunked?).

I'd feel sorry for the Ordo Xenos people, but I am going to be so damn glad to get a more Sisters-oriented codex (if indeed we do), which hopefully means a lot more fluff and an expansion of the army list.
Speak for yourself, I liked my freak-show units, even if they were inefficient.

Someday I'll be able to punt mules with my Mechanicus, someday.

And personally, I like the idea behind the Repentia, Penitant Engines, Arco-Flagellants, and Dominians as well-- but they just aren't worth taking. And that's almost half the Sisters' army list, leaving just about one unit type per FoC choice (with the exception of heavy support) that is at all useful... and Celestians may not even make that list of useful/efficient units either... an assault unit that sucks in assaults...

You'll also be getting a Psycannon totting Land Raider from FW... Nothing for Sisters though, I feel your pain, one neglected player to another.

Hell, just getting a balanced codex where all the units are extremely useful would be a great boon for us. Mew plastic models and good looking combi-weapon sprues (and other bitz) iwould probably make many Sisters and WH players jump for joy...

Although I STILL want more options (both unit options and unit customization), especially heavy support... another tank would be nice, as would a longer ranged weapon...

I know things like what I'm going to say don't go down well on this Forum but I'm so very happy that my gaming group of buddies don't limit ourselves to the restrictions that GW places upon some of their armies, especially ones that get very pitifully little love from them..it really is disgusting (imo).

Someone listed a few FOC options in the WH FOC that they considered sub-par, well they aren't if you deploy them in a Drop Pod and plop them into enemy lines quicksmart. There's an alternative WH list posted on the BoLS that allows SoB's to be played in a very dynamic way.

Same with Death Watch...why wait for GW to come up with a way to field them as a complete army. The Tempus Fugitives Forum has a Rules-set for fielding them, and it to is brilliant.

Sure, none of them are legal but at the very least you can play and have fun with them now instead of waiting for years, maybe never in Death Watch's case.

Sure, we can use custom rules. A friend and I made some custom rules we can use with locals in friendly matches, which I posted in the homegrown rules section-- which also make the Sisters more dynamic.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=143231

But the thing is... they're custom rules, which means no tournies. Playing for fun is one thing... but what about those that want to have more fun and more variety when plauying competatively in a tourney?

Hell, just getting a balanced codex where all the units are extremely useful would be a great boon for us. Mew plastic models and good looking combi-weapon sprues (and other bitz) iwould probably make many Sisters and WH players jump for joy...

...but currently I'd say that our codex is the most balanced its ever been. I'll admit that I've never found the sisters as easy to handle as they are now. Items such as the Book of St Lucius effectively make them better than fearless units.

Then there's the new rule of only troops scoring. That's great for us because we've pretty much one of the best troop types in the game, point for point. Believe me, a 12+ strong unit is not an easy prospect to face when they're sat on an objective rapid firing at AP1. They're not going to run (well it is a fairly certain bet with the BoSL) and they'll mince most enemy.

The run rule is also a massive boon and I believe that footsloggers are now the most effective way to go as an accompanying rhino restricts the squad size and offers up an easy KP.

Although I STILL want more options (both unit options and unit customization), especially heavy support... another tank would be nice, as would a longer ranged weapon...

Yeah I can't disagree there but the chief design guy also said on 5th launch weekend that one of the things he would love to do is give sisters another vehicle to play with (and then pointed and winked at that new IG chimera CAD drawings).

And again yes another longer ranged weapon would be nice but in some respects that would take the sisters one step closer to being weak marines. Peronally I don't think it's particularly fluffy but that's just my view.

All in all a new codex would be nice but at the same time I fear for what we would lose (wargear? Weapons? And, oh dear god NO!...FAITH?) in the cookie cutter style that GW are using.

Yeah I can't disagree there but the chief design guy also said on 5th launch weekend that one of the things he would love to do is give sisters another vehicle to play with (and then pointed and winked at that new IG chimera CAD drawings).

And again yes another longer ranged weapon would be nice but in some respects that would take the sisters one step closer to being weak marines. Peronally I don't think it's particularly fluffy but that's just my view.

All in all a new codex would be nice but at the same time I fear for what we would lose (wargear? Weapons? And, oh dear god NO!...FAITH?) in the cookie cutter style that GW are using.

A new Chimera transport for the SoB would be all kinds of awesome; having a capacity of 12 instead of 10 is certainly nice, not to mention the Chimera's better weaponry options. A vehicle with an Inferno Cannon would also be quite nice, and it would be a perfect fit for the SoB fluff.

With the new cover rules I'm much less concerned about the need for long-range weaponry; I've rarely had a clear shot at any enemy army before it was in bolter range in my games under the new 5e rules, and the SoB's focus on flamers and heavy flamers is even more useful than it was before given that flamers deny cover bonuses. New options would certainly be nice, but I would prefer things that match the SoB theme to just adding in plasma weapons or something similarly vanilla. Adding things like inferno bolts and heavy bolters with hellfire rounds from the Deathwatch kill team document would not only give us some nice new options, but would be wholly in keeping with the theme of the Sisters of Battle.

I wouldn't worry too much about losing Faith in entirity as that's pretty much the defining feature of the Sisters of Battle, but we might well see the system changed in some way. I wouldn't be surprised if the Book of St. Lucius is nerfed or at least increased in cost; 5 points for immunity to any negative leadership modifiers is a ridiculously good deal. I doubt we'll lose too much of our current wargear, most of it is fairly standard. IMO the specialized anti-psyker gear (and the Daemonhunters' anti-Daemon gear) is probably going to be the biggest victim of any wargear cleaning-out; people don't take it very often in competitive lists so it really needs revision anyway. Hopefully whatever gets added in to replace it and any other removals will be an improvement.

When I mentioned an extra tank, I was thinking something more along the lines of a tank that is sort of a cross between a hellhound and a predator tank. Something like this:

Redemption class tank: 140 pts

Armor:

FA13 SA12 RA11

Weapons:

Turret Twin-Linked Inferno Cannon, Sponson Heavy Bolters

Options:

Blessed Ammunition, Dozer Blade, Extra Armor, Holy Icon, Holy Promethium, Laud Hailers, Pintle Mounted Storm Bolter, Searchlight, Smoke Launchers

As well as the possibility of a pintle mounted flamer on all vehicles that can get a pintle mounted storm bolter.

As far as longe ranged weaponry, I was thinking of just increasing the range of the Exorcist by six to twelve inches, even if it meant increasing it's price (perhaps it could be an upgrade?). For wargear, it would be nice if they thought of upgrading the praesidium protectiva so that it isn't just a gimped storm shield for the same price, giving the Repentia Mistress access to the wargear options, increasing the power of the Blessed Weapon to +3s (it's only one per army and yet it's weaker than a Relic Blade which can be taken numerous times by multiple squads right now), and increasing the ability of the mantle of ophelia. Making Sarissas more usable (perhaps as a squad upgrade to celestians?) would be good, as well. And this is without really adding in anything new...

Damn it I hate when stuff like this happens. I Put time and effort into making a functional pure renegade inquisition list and now there making both codices based completely on units I don’t use (sisters and knights). That’s upwards of 300 dollars that are going down the whole, especially if their getting rid of allies.

You'll also be getting a Psycannon totting Land Raider from FW... Nothing for Sisters though, I feel your pain, one neglected player to another.

And who cares?

If you are into apoc games only fun for you.

For regular 40k gaming the FW GK landraider will not be allowed so much good it will do.

Erm, what? The GK Land Raider will be allowed... I don't think it requires apocalypse to play them. Seeing as a standard GK army can take Land Raiders as heavy support choices.

Unfortunately, as far as Tournuaments are concerned it will be useless, as FW stuff isn't allowed. In friendlies and Apoc it is usually fair game though.

To bad but thats how it is.

No FW stuff with special rules not found in the normal 40k codexes is allowed in a normal 40k game unless your opponent gives you permission.

In tournament play, forget about it!

Therefore you can use a FW dreadnought as long as it has codex approved upgrades and weapons but you cant use say a Land Raider prometheus otehr then apoc games.

Thus my reaction: Who cares if GK get a new raider, GKs have dreads with psycannons that FW make but they are still not allowed in 40k games in general.

That doesn't make sense. FW stuff is endorsed by GW.

Yes it does. GW endorses FW models representing GW models in tournaments. However FW rules are not usable in GW tournaments. It may look like, be made by, and painted like a forge world but in a tournament its just going to be a Games workshop model with extra bits.

Archived