Kit Buildable Titans

LBraden

Me and a friend had a few ideas based off the work of "BulldogUK" when we saw it on Friday in the GW Wakefield Store, and we were thinking about this at the point of making kits that are purchasable to build titans out of good plastic, rather than the resin used by Forgeworld.

We already know about the need of getting permission from GW before even making the moulds, but we are at the minute looking at several stuff before we go that far

1. What different models are there for Imperial Titans
  2. What different weapon loadouts are needed
  3. how many people would buy a titan model
  4. exactly how much would it have to cost

Now, my friend and I have got good minds when it comes to models, we also had the idea of making a Warhound (if that is the smallest) at least "walk" and someone in store suggested making a walking Dreadnought, but at the minute we are just thinking about it and want to see if it would be worth it.

basically i think its illegal

but im not too sure what you are saying

models for imperial titans? gw and fw only? other wise there are loads of fluffy or non fluffy titans people make

FW wise:

warhound, reaver

weapon load outs you'd need to look in seige of vraks part 2 for the reaver and one of the apocalypse books for the warhound

loads of people would buy them, well depending on price but im pretty sure that iw ould be illegal

cost would be up to you and depends who youre market is

We are looking into the PLAUSIBILITY of it, as that what happens if we do it all and then get the permission from GW just to sell one or two Warhounds and a Reaver that does not even cover the basic costs, and have to pay about 30% to GW for it so we loose even more

• 3 weeks later...

Assuming that you mean styrene kits like a Land Raider, the initial investment is huge. tens of thousands of dollars, if not hundreds of thousands, just for the tool (technical term for the mold). Then there's the injection-molding machine (which may-or-may-not be rentable).

For something the size of a Titan, you're looking at probably $350 per kit to break even (based on similar-size kits from commercial manufacturers). Example: A 1/32 scale A-10 warthog kit set me back $110, it's the size of a THawk. The 1/16 scale tanks are similar price, they're the size of a Baneblade. Since a Titan is 2x or 3x the size of either one, I'd expect 3x price, (bigger model needs LOTS more plastic). Eventually, you're going to run into trouble with strength.

If GW isn't even looking at doing plastic Titans (yet), when they own the IP and a large number of injection-molding machines, it's NOT cost-effective.

we are in the UK so a slight change there, however, as for the other bits and pieces ya we do know its going to cost a lot, but we are looking into the ideas, and my friend runs a model making company anyway, so the moulds are not too much trouble, weight loadout is defiantly something we are looking at.

However, we have asked a lawyer to help us see the legal side of it with GW, as that if you look on my Space Marine Vehicle Maker topic that I posted, there is a vehicle called the Mule, that is a version I have been thinking of making a kit for that, but then again, nothing will be made until after the legalise is sorted.

• 3 weeks later...
Your serious? Man you are my kind of person. You have all the assets you need, if you can get permision then you are clear for making these things for sure. By all means don't give up. I always wanted someone to make plastic specialty 40k models. Ask to start a funding campain once you get permision maybe?

we are looking into it, my friend is working on the stuff and that, but of course, the lawyers take time, always do, if we can get it right, it will be fun, but the larger ones will require a hell of a lot of work, we estimate that the Reaver Titan would be about the same weight as a baby

• 1 month later...
New set of lawyers, FW are being slow in signing, and the person who we bought the store off did a fiddle, and we are currently trying to find him and get our money back, as it was not his store to sell us, so we are delayed for about 3-4 weeks minimum

no the <Censored> idiot that we got the store off, with attached storage, fiddled us, so now we are back to a small 4x2.4m room as a design studio.

and without storage for the built models, its been put on hiatus till we get stuff sorted

no the <Censored> idiot that we got the store off, with attached storage, fiddled us, so now we are back to a small 4x2.4m room as a design studio.

and without storage for the built models, its been put on hiatus till we get stuff sorted

ok well atleast you haven't been closed down

good luck

and i demand at least monthly updates :huh:

:wub: im serious

I'm sorry to hear you've been scammed. I don't understand why people think it is acceptable to do that sort of thing :(

Anyway, your idea is wonderful. If I were you, I would go through with it. The pride and the cash at the end of the long painul road will be worth it (for you an us ^_^ )

• 1 month later...
to awake everyone who wants

We should be opening soon and I will get a price list and a few pictures from our pre-production model also soon

Wow, so if you are making pre-production models, you got permission from GW?

Congratulations, I'm in awe, great idea.

Looking forward to it, although not sure if I can justify the time (and expense) of building another smaller beast now Odin is done and dusted it would be practical to have a little minimi sat along side. should certainly be more portable and Odin could be upgraded to Warmonger class! hmmmm, toying with the idea of building a 12 action figure size Dreadnought next, I reckon if this Kit Titan is any good some of the components can probably be used to help things along :jaw:

At the minute, hang on, our mould supplier has backed out after realising it would be too much hassle to cover the orders, we are working on another supplier who is able to handle larger orders

To put it in laymans terms, we are trying to get a garage moulder to do what ya need a small factory for

plus we have problems with the business rates, so if Bulldog knows a cheapish shop near him, hopefully one that will not cost an arm and a leg

Archived