I have an idea...

Cpt Ultio

I've got this idea, but I tried putting it past my friend and he just screamed at me that it wouldn't be legal full stop...

But this is the idea...

Am I allowed to attach storm bolters to lightning claws for a character I am designing for my dark angels army.

I mean what does Abaddon have? A Lightning Claw with a combi-bolter, obviously I wouldn't make it AS powerful as Abaddon's

Would this be cool with you guys?

check codex DA, you can indeed take lightning claws and a storm bolter on a company master, on top of his base bolt pistol which can be upgraded to a plasma pistol if desired. It's a conversion i've been threatening since the codex came out, oh and with a jump pack to boot!

Al

Largely it depends on the army base you are using, some companies have tighter restrictions on what they are allowed to take.

But if all else fails, you ARE allowed to use calgars/abbadons rules for a different character PROVIDING its a successor chapter using that chapters base rules.

Unfortunately you cannot make up characters out of pure cloth anymore, there has to be a basis in rules to make them legal.

The dark angels chapter master is allowed to replace his chainsword with a pair of lightning claws and take an additional stormbolter...

(Just be sure you dont attach a stormbolter to BOTH lightning claws, that would be illegal)

Well, my idea is based on the fall of Caliban, when the world was ripped apart and a large number of the Fallen Dark Angels was sucked into the warp and displaced across the years and galaxys, how many True to the Lion Dark Angels was sucked into the warp as well?

So far, my idea is using the heavy bolter backpack, dreadnought storm bolter attached to said back pack, which is inturn attached to the lightning claw (I want both of them sadly), he's going to be true scale, but I'm going to see if I can straighten the legs so he's towering over the other marines. I would want a Crusader helmet (what mk are those ones?)

check codex DA, you can indeed take lightning claws and a storm bolter on a company master, on top of his base bolt pistol which can be upgraded to a plasma pistol if desired. It's a conversion i've been threatening since the codex came out, oh and with a jump pack to boot!

Al

Now, that is an idea... jump pack, and plasma pistol... *Thinks evilly* Mind if I possibly steal that idea?

well, it can be modelled with two SBs in my opinion, just as long as your rules CLEARLY state it counts as 1 SB, and its not twinlinked.

if you feel creative and want to convert something like that, i say go right ahead, its a hobby afterall, its not like youre breaking the law. just make sure if it does go on the tabletop, you have CLEAR and PRECISE rules on what your model counts as.

I've done it before, and it can look really good if you do it right!

Mind you, this is an older paintjob of mine, so it's not the best, but I'm using it as an example of your idea, a great one that I had too!

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7636/validus1yc1.jpg

I took the Termie Lightning Claws, cut them off at the elbows, and stuck them on PA arms. Dreadnought stormbolter for the mounted stormbolter, and a bolt pistol clip sticking out the side there.

Now, that is an idea... jump pack, and plasma pistol... *Thinks evilly* Mind if I possibly steal that idea?

well there's nothing stopping you having one claw with a storm bolter fitted and one with plasma pistol fitted.

at the end of the day he'll be carrying his legal weapon loadout ;)

Go for it, it's not 'my idea' to be stolen, it's in the codex as the most expensive company master load out. The only thing that has stopped me is how bulky storm bolters are. Just gluing one to the side of the lightning claw makes it look unwieldy; bad when you consider how 'delicate' and 'graceful' the claws should be. I've toyed with making smaller storm bolters out of bolt pistols etc but not yet accieved the desired effect.

Al

i'm going to be taking my time on the model working on one bit at a time, removing mold lines, drilling out gun barrels, green stuffing, maybe adding some small chains to give him a more beefed up look since his pack is going to be heavy, I might do the twin bolt pistol thing since I have a ton laying around.

Edit, So I have these options, either make my own character, with fluff, or do a standard company master and do the whole what you see is what you get.

What would be best?

But if all else fails, you ARE allowed to use calgars/abbadons rules for a different character PROVIDING its a successor chapter using that chapters base rules.

This is not accurate. At least as far as the new SM Codex is concerned, you can use ANY special character in whatever army you choose. You change the name and viola! This is explicitly explained in the new codex. You can use Calgar in whatever SM army you like. It DOES NOT have to be an Ultramarines successor. All you have to do is make sure your opponent knows what set of rules you are using and have an appropriately equipped model.

Essayons.

Archived