I have an idea...

Cpt Ultio

But if all else fails, you ARE allowed to use calgars/abbadons rules for a different character PROVIDING its a successor chapter using that chapters base rules.

This is not accurate. At least as far as the new SM Codex is concerned, you can use ANY special character in whatever army you choose. You change the name and viola! This is explicitly explained in the new codex. You can use Calgar in whatever SM army you like. It DOES NOT have to be an Ultramarines successor. All you have to do is make sure your opponent knows what set of rules you are using and have an appropriately equipped model.

Essayons.

By that your saying that I can use calgar in my DA army... but wait... no I can't.

He wants to use the DA rules, and by the DA codex you cannot use their characters unless its a DA chapter of successor to the DA chapter.

Please remember you cannon combine more than 1 dex with the sole exception if =][=.

And on the fluffy note... mixing characters from different legions (while you can do it for those listed in the new SM dex) is wrong in soo very many ways. Its so far un-fluffy that you will score a big fat zip for army comp and in no uncertain terms... its cheesy.

If you want smurfs (or smurf successors) then use smurfs IC's, if you want fists (or successors) then use fists IC's. I do not agree with mixing them. But you CANNOT do that with a DA army.

and this is my problem, I want to keep my DA army, but only take the Vanguard and the option for Honor Guards so I could use the Vanguard AS Honor Guards, since my Company Master is going to have a jump pack

But looks like I can't take the Vanguard/Honor Guard from the SM Codex

Well, all arguments and objections aside, it is legal to have a Dark Angel Comapany Master with a Pair of Lightning Claws, a Storm Bolter, and a Plasma Pistol (and a Jump Pack if really desired). This is all perfectly legal, and if your friend finds a problem with that, then show him this.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/news/errata/a...2008_DA_FAQ.pdf

Its the Dark Angel FAQ, scroll about two thirds down the first page, and look to the right of the page. There in writing it states that Dark Angel Masters are capable of taking the above.

If this has been posted before, then my apologies, I didn't have time to read through the entire topic. Good luck on the conversion by the way!!

Steve

This issue is getting confusing. Yes the DA has a chapter master (Azrael). Undividwill, the Dark Angels anre NOT allowed to take an honour guard as there is no entry for them in our codex, the best we have is a command squad (who can't have jump packs).

And don't worry about it being overpowered. He's just as fragile as any bog standard company master, the plas pistol can "get hot" AND this load out is expensive. If you have the points to spare it's fine and dandy, but i preffer to use the points elsewhere. I'm a less agressive player and like to use a marching gunline to take out the heretic and xeno alike. However, the flying-chopping-slicing-shooting-blasting--choppingsomemore could prove a fun choice.

Al

Right, back to my original topic, I don't mind that I can't have an honor guard, I'll just attach him to an Assault Squad.

Spoke to the guys in my local GW store, and they are confused as to why DA Company Masters can get that load out, and how would it work, also, they said it was pointless to do, (At this point I left, had other errends to run) my new question is, why would it be pointless?

They may have said it was pointless due to the patchwork approach to the weaponry but i think it's a good load out. The SB is an assault2 weapon, 2 bolter shots before the charge is nice to soften up the target. The lightning claws are about the best weapon in the game for slicing through squidgy troops, and at I5, all those re-roll to wound will be great. The jump-pack get's you around the board fast and ignores intervening terrain. Then there's the Plasma pistol: yes it might get hot, but those S7 shots are good if you are charging a high tougness oponent.

Give him an attached assault squad to soak up incoming fire and it's a good unit (on paper). Give the vet sarge and/or the master melta bombs aswell and there isn't much that could withstand such an onslaught. And while we're at it, attach a jump chaplain for litanies of hate and go nuts!

Al

I was considering giving him an attached Assault Squad, and the melta bombs, this guy is going to be my true scale project, he's going to look such a beast with the other guys, never thought about a chaplin with jump pack, are you able to attach two IC's to the same squad?

I just need the bits, only problem is money is tight, I got the storm bolter from my mates dreadnought (he has a flamer) all trimmed and ready, I just need the terminator lightning claws, legs, body, jump pack and the heavy bolter pack...

Archived