Combat Squads Question

Bioguy

Just bought the new 5th ed... layout is a little strange, but I'm sure I will get used to it.

Ok, so I have my standard 10-man tactical squad, with one flamer and one missile launcher. Here are my questions:

1. When I start placing my unit, do I have to put all 10 models together, or can I split 5 and 5 at that point? For example, "now it's my turn to place my tactical unit... and I'll put half over here on this side of my deployment zone, and half over there on that side of my deployment zone."

2. If I deploy all 10 mdoels together, can I split them into 5 at any point during the game? "Oh, this turn, I'll now split this tactical squad into two teams." I could also see deploying the two halves next to each other, and then splitting at some point later on, which would have the same effect.

3. If I deploy as two separate squads of one unit, can I now put them in two separate rhinos or razorbacks?

Thanks for feedback in advance...

you declare you're splitting your 10man squad before putting them on the table.

if you do split them, they count as seperate units from then on, so can be deployed seperatley

you can't deploy all 10 together, and then split them during the game. with the exception of a 10 man squad arriving via drop pod, which you can split once their deep strike has been resolved

if you deployed as two 5 man squads they can embark into 2 seperate rhino's razorbacks during the game if you've got them available. BUT rhino's/razorbacks are dedicated transports so if the squad of 10 has bought a dedicated transport, and splits into two 5 man squads one of them may deploy in the vehicle (the other may not, you can only have 1 unit in a vehicle + independant characters), the other 5 man squad wouldn't be able get into that vehicle, or another dedicated transport because you can only deploy in a dedicated transport bought specifically for that squad.

if you deployed as two 5 man squads they can embark into 2 seperate rhino's razorbacks during the game if you've got them available. BUT rhino's/razorbacks are dedicated transports so if the squad of 10 has bought a dedicated transport, and splits into two 5 man squads one of them may deploy in the vehicle (the other may not, you can only have 1 unit in a vehicle + independant characters), the other 5 man squad wouldn't be able get into that vehicle, or another dedicated transport because you can only deploy in a dedicated transport bought specifically for that squad.

Actually this is not true any more. Yes you buy a transport for a squad and they must start in or with it, but once they are unloaded, the transport can zip back to another squad and pick up someone else and move them someplace. This was done in the White Dwarf with the 5th Ed Preview about 2 months ago and was discussed at length why they designed it like that. Page 67 in the main rule book. Dedicated Transports Sub box Bottom of the page, Second Paragraph

"The only limitation of a Dedicated Transport is that when a it is deployed it can only carry the unit it was selected with (plus any independent characters). After the game begins, it can then transport any friendly infantry unit, subject to transport capacity and other special exclusions, as explained in the vehicle's entry (IE Rhinos not being able to carry Terminators)...

People usually combat squad Devastators to get to split fire between 2 groups of 2 guns. I guess you can also split all of your tacticals but unless you were using one of the CS's to hold an objective near your deployment zone or something like that I'm not sure I see the point, but I guess you can try to convince people that micromanagement is actually tactical acumen and that you have very Kunin Planz

I actually played a game last weekend with combat squads for tactical squads, I left the Heavy Weapons in the deployment zone and shot at things all game while the other squads went out to take objectives, or contest objectives, I actually liked it like that, just need to give them a Razorback so they could be a bit more mobile. Yeah 10man Devs is best with combat squads and those marines act as meat shields to protect those wonderful heavy weapons.

Kindof on topic can I buy a razorback with my 10 man squad and deploy half my squad in that at the beginning of the game? Or can I not because the unit is more than 6 men? Seems like a bit of a grey area to me.

The way it is written in the new codex is -

Dedicated transport - may take a Rhino or a Razorback. If the squad numbers 10 models, may take a drop pod.

So yes you can take a 10 man squad and a Razorback for a transport. If you declare your squad is using combat squads (2x5) you can then embark 5 men in the Razorback before the game starts.

Interestingly in RAW you can't give a 5-9 man squad a drop pod...

The rules for combat squads are readily stated in plain english, if you're asking stupid questions on this forum, chances are you don't have 30 dollars to fork over for a new book.

That's a bit harsh and unhelpful gdeathlegion, this forum exists to help and advise, if you don't like folks asking their questions you are either in the wrong place, or better still just don't answer at all.

It would have been more useful to provide a relevant page number for the OP, or leave a constructive answer, or just move on yes?

Cheers

I

okay, so the way it looks is like this:

1. if you declare before the game that you are splitting a 10 man Tac squad into two combat squads, then it takes up two boxes on the force chart...

2. You can also do it in game, with five breaking off to go do what they need, forming two combat squads, that is completely kosher (right?)

As for the dedicated transport, you can have only five in there, or the full ten, and then after the first five get out, with the transport then being able to go pick up the other five

My big question is when you purchase the ten man squad, getting all the weapon upgrades, in the first situation, doesn't it make having the heavy weapons invalid?

And second situation, if I'm reading it right, you have the five with heavy weapons stay, while the other five go off and do their own thing?

and of course, which one do you give the sergeant to, or is that just a matter of choice?

combat squads don't effect FOC.one ten man Tac squad takes one slot combat squad or not. Once the transport drops off its squad it may pick up any freindly unit ( as long as they met the restrictions IE no termies in rhinos , 10 men max in a rhino etc.)

you split the squad at deployment, or when their drop pod lands. if they start together they stay together (or apart if you split them)

Combat Squads have NO bearing at all on the FOC. If you buy ONE unit from the list then it takes up ONE slot on the FOC.

You must declare if you are splitting the unit into 2 Combat Squads before you deploy models on the table. If you choose to do so, you may place them separately. If you deploy them as 1 unit instead of 2 Combat Squds, you may not split them at a later time in the game.

You may only deploy the unit attached to a dedicated transport inside of it, but later in the game any eligible unit may enter the vehicle.

It's not difficult to get the jist of.

The one thing that gets me, if you want to have combat squads but when you roll for missions you get the anilihation one (the one where get 1 point for each squad destroyed) does each 5man squad count as one? and is it too late to just field a 10 man squad?

Again- you choose to use combat squads when you deploy. As you deploy after you roll for mission you can field them as 5 or 10 man units.

The rules for combat squads very clearly say that each combat squad counts as a seperate unit, do they'd both be worth a KP.

it sounds quite easy

you buy 1 HQ, 2 squad... ex: Tactical

your FOC is 1 HQ, 2 Troops

than u can field

1HQ + 10man +1man

or

1HQ +10man + 5man + 5man

or

1HQ + 5man + 5man + 5man + 5man

it's always 1HQ and 2 Troops

you decide when you FIELD the troops

so if you roll anilihation probably you will use 10+10 to give less ponts to opponent

for other mission probably you will use 5+5+5+5

is it clear?

Just to make certain....

when you deploy as 2 5 man Combat Squads....does that meet the requirement for 2 Troops from the Force Org chart?

No, you can't use Combat Squad splitting to satisfy your force org requirements. You have to satisfy the force org's requirements while you are putting your army list together. AFTER that, during deployment, you have the option of splitting those units.

Just to make certain....

when you deploy as 2 5 man Combat Squads....does that meet the requirement for 2 Troops from the Force Org chart?

If you are talking about meeting the force org chart that requires two troop selections for a legal army then no.

If you are referring to the Dawn of War scenario then 2 5 man combat squads would meet your 2 unit max for deployment.

Ok, so I'm probably being a little slow here but if you field a squad of 10 you get some of your weapons free yes? It was my belief that if you went for squads of 5 you didn't get the chance to choose special weapons?

Not a marine player and haven't bought the codex (yet) so I may need some humouring.

ArmouredWing - Only 10 man tac squads are allowed to choose special and heavy weapons. some of these are free, yes. 10 man tactical squads, scout squads, vets, bikes(8+attack, or 10 scout) terms, etc... can split into two 5-man "combat squads." this is done AT DEPLOYMENT or or after deepstriking IN A DROP POD. there is 1 squad, representing 1 FOC slot, with the potential to act as 2 units, worth 2 kill points, able to secure 2 objectives, etc... as if they were 2 different units, but they are composed of the elements, meeting the rules for, one unit of 10 marines...

ArmouredWing - Only 10 man tac squads are allowed to choose special and heavy weapons. some of these are free, yes. 10 man tactical squads, scout squads, vets, bikes(8+attack, or 10 scout) terms, etc... can split into two 5-man "combat squads." this is done AT DEPLOYMENT or or after deepstriking IN A DROP POD. there is 1 squad, representing 1 FOC slot, with the potential to act as 2 units, worth 2 kill points, able to secure 2 objectives, etc... as if they were 2 different units, but they are composed of the elements, meeting the rules for, one unit of 10 marines...

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

Archived