Combat Squads Question

Bioguy

Further clarification...

During the Deployment Phase, before the game begins, full squads are declared to remain full or be combat squaded. The various full or combat squads are then placed on the table, or into the reserve.

If placed into the reserve, squads may have independent characters attached. Dedicated vehicles can have a squad assigned to it to transport. Non dedicated vehicles may have squad assigned to it to transport. This reserve assignment is done during the Deployment Phase before the game begins and is declared to all players.

If a whole squad is assigned a Drop Pod (and not combat squadded during Deployment) it may split into combat squads after the Drop Pod lands (instead of in the Deployment Phase).

Correct?

Warprat ;)

During the Deployment Phase, before the game begins, full squads are declared to remain full or be combat squaded. The various full or combat squads are then placed on the table, or into the reserve.

As I read it, They are split when deployed - not during deployment phase, if kept in reserve (as they are either deployed OR placed in reserve). units kept in reserve may NOT split unless in a pod, and units may not split and be partially kept in reserves.

If placed into the reserve, squads may have independent characters attached. Dedicated vehicles can have a squad assigned to it to transport. Non dedicated vehicles may have squad assigned to it to transport. This reserve assignment is done during the Deployment Phase before the game begins and is declared to all players.

yes. that is true for units kept in reserve.

If a whole squad is assigned a Drop Pod (and not combat squadded during Deployment) it may split into combat squads after the Drop Pod lands (instead of in the Deployment Phase).

yes - squads arriving by deepstrike in a pod may split when disembarking from the pod. all 10 must go for the ride, regardless, as they were not yet split having been in reserve.

As I read it, They are split when deployed - not during deployment phase, if kept in reserve (as they are either deployed OR placed in reserve). units kept in reserve may NOT split unless in a pod, and units may not split and be partially kept in reserves.

yes. that is true for units kept in reserve.

yes - squads arriving by deepstrike in a pod may split when disembarking from the pod. all 10 must go for the ride, regardless, as they were not yet split having been in reserve.

Thanks for responding!

See, the thing which confuses me is Scouts and the Land Speeder Storm. The Storm allows deep strike, AND it can transport Scouts, but only 5 of them. How would a full Scout squad deploy with a deep striking Storm? You have to declare the Scouts will be deep striking when placed in reserve, but only half may do so, not the full squad. How can the full Squad declare deepstrike? That got me thinking... always dangerous!

Warprat ;)

You model the Land Speeder Storm to include five quick-release harnesses attached to five ropes hanging from the bottom. For bonus points, model a few scouts in the harnesses screaming their heads off, and snap a couple unused ropes. :lol:

Heck, do that and I'd let your Storm carry a full squad just for the amusement value.

and while that would be a nifty conversion (and in a friendly game, definately allowed!) in RAW play - use a 5 man tactical squad. not the best solution, but they do not suffer from the restrictions on weapons that marines do (don't need 10 models for access to upgrades).

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, to bring this up after a couple of weeks, but I wanted to address the bold statement above.

The decsion to split the unit into combat squads . . . must be made when the unit deploys.
Once all of the units have been rolled for, the player picks any one of the units arriving and deploys it, moving it onto the table as described later. Then he picks another unit and deploys it, and so on until all arriving units are on the table.

This seems to be the general rule for units arriving from reserves, they "deploy." The specific manner in which they deploy is described in later sections. It should be noted that for units arriving from their board edge, and units outflanking it never uses the word "deploy." I don't think it needs to since these are specific descriptions of how the occurs, and the "Rolling for reserves" subsection takes care of classifying this movement as deploying. Additionally, the wording for "deep strike" does use "deploy."

So since arriving from reserves onto the board is considered deploying(whether from one's own board edge, outflanking, or deep striking, but NOT in a Rhino/LR) -- although not the beginning of the game deployment -- and a unit may combat squad when it deploys, therefore a unit held in reserve may combat squad when it arrives from reserves. Thoughts?

BRB pg. 94" During deployment.......player must clearly explain the organisation of his reserves..."

You would still have to make the choice to combat squad during the initial deployment.

No, at that time you must say whether they are walking on, outflanking or deep striking. The rule limits it to those three only. There is no other organizational requirement that needs to be stated. The list appears to be exhaustive, NOT illustrative. In addition that requirement is more general. A more specific rule (i.e., the space marine codex) would supersede. Again, the rule from C:SM is that CS'ing happens when the unit "deploys" NOT when it enters reserves.

Archived