Reply from Jervis Johnson

jakehunter52

well the truth [its a wee bit sad truth ] that GW has 4 types of armies [in w40k] the sm [always sell] armies type B [that need good rules to lure gamers in otherwise the fandom for those armies is too small . eldar , nids and even tau are here. if they had rules like WH , they would end up like DE] , the collectors armies [and again those are divided in to sm-like ones and non sm-like ones] for those GW has the policy that there is a more or less same size fanbase for those and that they are played by those people no matter what [thats why DA/BA/SW look like they do ] , the metal armies are a too small part of the market to be interesting for them .

and zelaots are cool because they are cheap . the first test version of repentia [durning studio testing] was 2ccw and option to take eviscerators . only a certain someone thought it wasnt not cool enough . and so WH players ended up with repentia like they are today .

If the fact that they are metal is making them less profitable, then they should convert them to plastics sothat they might sell more and gain more profit. They're doing it for DE, whish is in just as dire a need of updating as the DH/WH codices.

I have a WH army and I have to say I'd love some plastics but I can see how that is very unlikely to happen.

Forgeworld on the other hand seems to go in for the more obscure stuff (Elysians) so I think there is a much better chance of FW making some sweet battle sisters and characters.

Even if they cost a lot it would still get some more variety in WH armies and maybe even generate more interest.

Personally, I find the main problem with plastic Sisters would be the robes. Sisters wear entirely too much cloth; robe parts such as the sleeves would not be very poseable. At most, I imagine they can manage to cut the model across the waist, the forearms and the head, since sleeves form a cumbersome physical obstruction to the positioning of arms.

I think that inducted space marines and guard will dissapear in whatever codexes are released for the Inquisition forces. So not only do they have to expand the current range into plastic, surely they will have to give us some new hithero unheard of units as well.

But on to this letter. You say JJ actually responded to us? like Jervis Johnson, not Andy who goes on this board and listens to us in our more intelligent moments. The Jervis Johnson that Number 6 tells will not swim across the atlantic, kick down my door, and demand that I play by raw standard? Bah that is like saying that squats are still going to come back. jk lol it's nice to see some positive feedback. Note to all other people that these "little" steps that Games workshop takes do lead somewhere, we just have to make sure that they keep taking them!

Yeah...kinda interesting huh. I hope that Inquisition Day is going to prove to him that DH and WH are still alive and well and would like some attention and hopefully set things up for a)earlier release b)more effort put into the update in terms of rules c)attention from WD (Not stopping w/ the Apoc sheets but a battle report maybe?) d)all the above. Also, any responses yet?

As far as the Repentia go, I think that they are easily fixable. Like what Heru Talon suggests http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=113422, give Repentia FNP and maybe strike at initiative off the charge and take smaller squads, totally worth it now. Still vulnerable to blasts but what isn't, can take massed firepower and save a lot of it (will save technically 75% of the time), can easily earn back their points by taking out a vehicle or two. Wouldn't have to redo the models at all since they are beautiful and heck, if they take of the 0-1 limit, people would buy them up like crazy. So I hope they can find a good balance between sticking to the fluff and playability.

Jeske- I think you are putting GW in a much worse light than they are actually in. I bet your statements are perfectly true but these are something a sale analysis would say to the board, not what the game developers tell each other. I doubt the design team has any maliciousness in what they do because they are dictated by the guys upstairs. Yes, I do have repentia and I haven't used them in a long time (last time was in an apocolypse game where they tore off every gun on a Baneblade in one round. Totally epic and disappointing at the same time) and maybe when I get more skilled, I will make a list that will include them w/ some Arcos or Penitent engines or something. And I don't really get your jabs at Jervis, I would really challenge you to send your own letter voicing these concerns and get an actual response and be constructive rather than speculating on what he would say so you can mock him.

Lastly, I think that cloaks would not be hard at all. I think that the models would come torso, left leg, right leg, left arm, right arm, head, sort of like what you do for the current cannoness model. That way you can still put them in cool poses and customizable while keeping the flowing cloth nature of their armour.

Yeah, if they remove allies and inductions then they pretty much have to give us new units to make up for it.

If they combined DH, WH, and DW into one codex they wouldn't have to.

Frankly, I'd be plenty happy with just a new DH codex with updated rules. I don't need any more models and I don't care for plastic.

And I don't really get your jabs at Jervis, I would really challenge you to send your own letter voicing these concerns and get an actual response and be constructive rather than speculating on what he would say so you can mock him.

not speculating here . I met the man three times , all those times it was strickt buissness stuff . And he acts just like that . they will never say, they did something wrong or that this or that options is unplayable . Remember how Thorpe <DELETED BY THE INQUISITION>ed up the Dark Elf battle book and they have to errata it in WD a month later [because the sales were dead] ? We got "we know that DE are good and are a powerful army yadda yadda yadda and here is the errata of the army book". Or in the 3ed when no one was using termis and the great Chambers gave us the "I know that termis are great and can be used by skilled players to devastating effect , but with the plasma gun and power weapons being the weapon of choice , we decided to give termis an in 5+inv save " .

Or when the desinger of the chaos dex asked , if they didnt overdo it a bit with the lash prince anwers "we didnt know people would play with 2].

Its a firm policy they have to say stuff like that ,but I would believe that JJ actually thinks that all units and options in all dexs are great . On the other hand he does live in a different world then most gamers out there.

I sure hope they don't make Grey Knight and SOB-only codexes like I've heard a few discuss. I like that ISTs and Inquisitors add a nice non-SM feel to our DH armies. Faith and cheap SOB makes it tough to not take an all-sisters army though.

Halfway agree. ISTs for 10 points or SoB for 11? Easy choice. I think if they just put the ISTs in C: DH, and give the two dexes access to one another's stuff (within reason...perhaps only in the presence of an inquisitor?), you don't need them in C:SoB, and can go back to a more ecclesiarchal feel, while allowing people to still play a more inquisitorial force if, for whatever reason, you feel called to do so.

Or when the desinger of the chaos dex asked , if they didnt overdo it a bit with the lash prince anwers "we didnt know people would play with 2].

They didn't think there are WAAC powergamers out there? It would have been sooooooo easy to make the lash a 0-1 choice...

please remember that this is the same group of people who sternly believe that the number of powergamers at GW 40K events is so low its not a matter for discussion.

please remember that this is the same group of people who sternly believe that the number of powergamers at GW 40K events is so low its not a matter for discussion.

And these are the people that made Repentia an 0-1 choice? I think that they think that there are power gamers but don't share our views of what constitute one.

well I dont know , but H-man knew how to make iron warriors and khorn BL lists the in list for chaos . the whole "counts as" idea with the new sm dex ? briliant you can have all the cool special stuff and still be an "ultramarines army ".

I always loled at the fact how GW lets the designer pump up their own factions and on the other hand they make people who know nothing about other factions make dexs for them.

Archived