Battle of the Boyfriends! SM -vs- ORKS

Spurs

Battle Brothers, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Last night I found out the boyfriend of my girlfriends sister is an ORKS monger!

After a breif changing of general army compositions it was decided that a battle must be waged in order to determine who among we boyfriends is the champion general.

Needless to say our girlfriends have a strong history of sibling rivalry so as soon as they found out we were going to battle they jumped on the bandwagon and as a result it has now got to the point were to the victor goes the glory and to the loser goes 4 weeks without :HS: I personally love my :HQ: so i need a good tailored list to obliterate these ORKS back to the marshy green swamplands their master brought them forth from.

This is going to be the ultimate battle of boyfriend vs boyfriend... Space Marines vs ORKS... sister vs sister (photos will be taken) ^_^ :P :FA:

So: I need a nice tailored list and tactica to go up against contingents of primarily mek boyz, bikers led by the character who can turbo-boost and shoot and fast tanks.

Primarily i have a ravenwing army (bikes and speeders) that is being playing using SM rules atm with a few squads of tacticals and assault marines.

I also have a predator, dred and two squads of scouts.

HOWEVER, for this battle i am willing to paint anything in order to win!

I want to throw a whole heap of bikes and typhoon speeders at him but don't know just how effective these will be against this type of ORK army.

I get to choose how many points this battle will be also, so what's good to limit the points too? I'm thinking no more than 1500 to take a bit of the horde out of the equation.

I've never played against orks of this sort so any hints or tips you can throw out would be madly appreciated!

I NEED TO WIN THIS!

i've found in my experience playing my mate ( he uses orcs ) plasma cannon's are the way to go( as long as they are close enough and in LOS ) as most of the time im gauranteed about 5 dead greenskins, or any high strength blast temp wepons work good. Most of the time i just hang back and shoot the bejeebus out of him and when he gets too close thats when me dreadnaught ties up 1 of his units and i deep strike me termies in to help the dreadnaught ( but of course it doesn't go to plan most the time as my dice rolls kinda suc ) so he can walk away to another unit oh and a whirlwind is nice as well. I tend not to have too much close combat units ( thats what characters are for:) ) as the number of orcs and there attacks you noeed damn good dice rolls to stick around. hope it helps as haven't played a game for awhile and trying to rack me brain for more idea's

Cheer mate these are exactly the sort of ideas i need to start looking at... :pinch:

I suggested i was going to bring terminators and he laughed a bit before encouraging me to bring em so i'm thinking he might have something up his sleeve to counter them.

I have a few Typhoon speeders that will fill the missile job nicely and for some reason the dice gods always seem to shine down on them. I want to take three but forgo the deepstrike and have them pumeling from behind my lines. The cover save my way is a big help but against ORKS already poor armour saves the infered armour save to them from shooting over my guys is negligible.

Don't risk it. Avoid close combat at all costs! He's running a fairly mean Ork army; the Mek will almost definitely have a Kustom Field giving units around a 4+ invulnerable save, and those bikes are nasty (think Dakkafex-like firepower that has the ability to assault and turboboost). Fielding light vehicles against an army that potentially puts out dozens of str 8 shots is a really bad idea ;) Your bikers and land speeders will get wrecked by an army that moves just as fast, but is tougher and probably has more firepower.

Your best bet? Land Raider Redeemer + Land Raider Crusader :pinch: That way you won't have to worry about getting shot in the side armor.

edit: forget deep strike. Really. He'll be coming to you!

Could I just say I think this high-stakes gaming business is good for the hobby! :D

Interesting challenge!!

I havent fought much against Orks and cant really tell what to expect.. But me thinks that running assaulty-based chapters like the BA or Raven Guard could be another idea for you.

Hope you win your challenge and dont forget to post a batrep (including sister v sister <_<) up :P

I play orks and marines, often against the other. But usually in small games.

In my experience, terminators are a bit of a points sink, and striking last with power fists hurts, as the amount of attacks the boys can put on you first is scary. (and 2+ saves can't stop them all)

I'd take landspeeder typhoons, though, even against rokkit buggies. Typhoon launcher has twice the range, and shoots twice. Not only that but you can move 12" fire the heavy bolter AND two frag missiles (S4 blast) - great for thinning down hordes.

Definitely bring your flamers! (and plasma cannons if you've got em). Predator destructor can lay down the hurt from range as well.

Take care with your bikes - they can get swamped. I'd be tempted to try something sneaky with them: use them to assault a unit on the flank and pull it out of formation (as the orks pile in). If you survive two rounds of combat ;) - use combat tactics and get them out - don't forget combat tactics! This maybe risky with all his mobile units of bikes around though, maybe keep them for a counter attack.

Scout snipers maybe wasted on hordes (they're usually fearless) BUT bikers aren't any more - so pin those greenskin greasers! They're only ld 7 (if there's less than 7 in a squad).

IIRC Kustom force field only gives 5+ cover save. still annoying, but that's why you brought your flamers right?

Good luck!

That Ork army sounds like what one of my friends is going to make so I'd better read the end battle report closely. One thing I might consider using (I haven't tried it yet so don't take this advice too seriously- I know a lot is riding on this game ;) ) is Sternguard as one of the ammo types they use negates cover (to counter kustom force field) and theres another thats range 30" with AP4, and Ork bikers only have 4+ saves. Also you can put combi-flamers or heavy flamers on them, which we all know is a must vs hordes. Good luck!

I played orks last night and learned a thing or two that might help :P

Focus on bringing a lot of high strength AP 4 weapons some Heavy flamers, Heavy bolters and a Whirlwind are perfect. Orks can muster a surprising number of 4+ saves.

Try and shoot down any Nob squads, Big choppers are mean! and with the new furious charge rule on most orks thats strengh 7 on the charge i think.

Apart from that :- leave deep striking units until about turn 3 when they can strike behind the enemy and catch the in the cross fire, take up good defensive positions and fire away, as for the Bike Leader a few combi meltas or combi -plas should sort him out ^_^

Good Luck matey hope you win

You need to look out for the Waagh power as it gives him fleet for one turn of the game, may catch you out if you dont know.

With lots of meks Im assuming there will be at least one kustom force field 5+ cover and obsuring vehicles. Bikes get their dirty 4+ exhaust (cover) save. So if you have anything like Hvy flamer speeders, it would be useful.

I would suggest taking a highly mobile army. Dont take terminators, they will likely get murdered by overwhelming numbers of attacks.

So my advice would be avoid assault, especially him charging you assualt, furious charge on orks is painful. Move and shoot him to death. If his entire army is not mobile spilt his forces. Going second so he deploys his force first would be a good way to avoid these foot elements and also allows you the last turn for objective grabbing.

Deny him assualt or you will be getting denied :D

Stand back and shoot with your superior range! Full tac squads with ML+flamer will go a long ways. Also, 3 speeders with heavy flamers will do so much damage. I'd also personally go with whirlwinds, thunderfire cannons and anything else that drops long range templates on him. As I always do, be sure to have a few cheapish cc squads on the flanks ready to jump out and help finish the badgered hordes off. I like barebones assault squads, sometimes with a chaplain, otherwise cc scout squads that infiltrated work wonders for this. Remember, you still get to swing first... :lol:

Hey I know that the other guys said no terminators but use assault termi's full squad my one unit killed about 900pts worth last game I played against orks (with lightning claws so you go first) re-rolling to wound is very handy and ignoring saves is also really good (obviously). Spam thunder fire cannons you can nearly wipe out a unit a turn with each of them you can also slow them down, ignore cover saves or just have ap 5 most of their saves ignored. just use them to kill normal boyz, and turn your better weapons on 4+ saves hope this helps good luck.

As mentioned previously, max out on templates. I have had some luck w/Telion, 3 snipers, and a Heavy bolter in a scout squad w/cloaks in cover. The Hellfire shells are great anti horde, but popping the PK Nob w/Telion is the best. Without the Nob you can send a dread over to get stuck in with the boyz mob and they will be tied up 'till the end of the game or dead. Attack bikes with heavy bolters can bring the heat as well, a better option than straight bikes I think.

units that I'd look for

2 Whirlwinds

Sternguard, with minor upgrades, more bodies is more important

Lots of Tactical Squads in Rhinos/Razorbacks with Plasma Guns and Missiles/Heavy Bolter

Assault Marines with Flamers (don't take Flamers with your Tac squads, they're too slow)

Attack Bikes, either variety (Multi-Melta for their Nob Bikers and Vehicles, Heavy Bolter for everything else)

BP/CCW scout squad (10 guys for speed bumps)

Having faced a fairly mobile Ork horde a couple of times now I can tell you what didn't work for me! Sitting back waiting for the orks to reach you is not a great plan. Whilst you will shoot a lot of them, once they are upon you in close combat things start getting messy. The Ork nob and his biker buddies are also a very nasty unit. Do not let them engage any of your large sized units in close combat under any circumstances as they will likely shred it.

I am starting to have more success by using a more mobile force, backed up by heavy weapons and tanks.

Have a good think about running small sized fire support units (small so that they tie up the close combat attacks of a large ork band) out front, put rest of your troops into transports. Use heavy bolters and flamers on ground troops, and run a LR or LRC and a Vindicator. I'd be inclined to forget your bikes...

Good luck

Armour in general makes orks cry, they have very few high S weapons capable of cracking AV 14, the list of threats is short.

Charging Pklaws

Zzap guns (needs to roll 9+ on 2d6)

SAG (same as zzap but more risky)

Bomb squigs (i think they are S9)

Dreads CCW

Wrecking balls

Tankhammers

Zzap psychic power

That may seem like a pile but there are serious shortcomings with each unit.

Charging Pklaws, the drawbacks are obvious, have to charge, dance vehicles away

Zzap guns, 24 inch range, need to roll for strength.

SAG, one single 2 wound ork, needs to roll for strength

Dread CCW, on a poor AV vehicle and has to be CC

Wrecking balls, hits on 4+, very short range, mounted on a poor AV open topped vehicle

Tankhammers, Need to be in CC, one attack in CC only

Zzap psychic power, this is the best, 36 inch s10 melta, but few people take weirdboyz, needs to be rolled for on the psychic table.

As with what minigun said, 2 flamers on a 10 man assault squad, that will wreck an ork mob badly on the charge, even a 30 man one, the two flamers and a volley of bolt pistols will kill about 12 or so then the 30 attack charges will kill another seven, expect to lose 2 in return, orks will lose morale badly and with the I of 2 you will run them down pretty badly most of the time.

Im of the opinion 1000-1500 is a good range, orks can be murderous at 500 points and at 2000 there are just so damn many, 1000 enables you to take the fancy killing horde tricks that will stop him, so will 1500 but he wont be able to overwhelm them.

well, in any system, (40k or Fantasy) the best thing to do against a highly mobile army is too shoot the living hell out of him and move on. do not sit anywhere, unless it is a speed-bump squad. If he deploys all of his units in a big, centered mass then you can shoot at him a bit longer before you move as there will be less ways for him to come after you. Plasnas, flamers, and missiles are good, and whirwids are amazing against any kind of infantry. a pred will take out most of his tanks, and whatever you dont get immediately you can deep strike some termies at, or drop pod in some Devs with missiles and plasma (fun fun fun!)

i really van't wait to see this battle rep!

WOW!

Cheers for all the thoughts/comments/hints it's really helpful.

I'm going to limit my bikes to a single 8 man squad with maybe Khan so i can get behing them with 8 bikes an attack bike and khan himself. That should scare the crap out of his armour.

I'm thinking something along the lines of:

Khan (joins 8 bikers and attack bike)

8 bikes 2 with melt

attack bike multi-melta

2 landspeeder typhoons with heavy bolters

1 predator with auto cannon and heavy bolters

2 dreads with heavy flamer, close combat wep and drop pod

2 10 man tacs with missile launchers and flamers

1 5 man sniper squad, 4 snipers 1 missile launcher with telion

I'm missing the templates i need though. Would it be worth swapping something out for a plasma totting dev squad though?

Prolly looking somewhere between 1500 and 1750 with the above list at the moment. He can feild up to 3k so what ever i put together he'll match it.

By the way i will be posting a battle rep... Also i should have some nice photos.

I really like the look of that list. Has a lot to take on the hordes, and it has enough units to be flexible with fire selection, which can help if you're facing lots of trukks/buggies.

One of your dreads will have to drop first turn, so BE VERY CAREFUL, those pk nobs will be wanting a piece, One of my nobs even downed one with a big choppa once! Although it could work really well - if you drop behind the front lines, tear up his soft stuff, and force him to pull some boys mobs back- probably worth sacrificing a dread in the long run.

I suppose this is just speculation though, until you see what he's bringing.

I like it. I am also a little wary of the drop podding Dreads though....a lone dread on turn 1 is going to get power klawed into scrap very, very fast indeed if it's not lucky as hell.

I'd almost be tempted to keep them with your main line and use them as counter assault units. Use Telion to cap the nob of a boyz mob, then assault with the now pretty much unkillable Dread....

Ork nobz are by far the best target for Telion actually now I consider it, since boyz mobs in many ways are power Klaw delivery systems :P

Actually giving it some thought now, as long as your opponent does not run a shooty ork list, it would be WELL worth bringing along a thunderfire cannon

For all their faults THIS is the situation they were built for!

Use the subterrainian blast.

Not only is it heavy 4 blast (blast and templates are gold against hordes) But you will slow the advance of the ineviatble charge! Any unit hit by the blast must move next turn as if it were in difficult terrain. Add to that the other ammo types which will ignore armour (and cover - airbust) save and wound orks easier and we may have a good anti ork weapon for only 100pts.

(However if he brings a squad of lootas and fires at your thunderfire, chances are its dead ;) )

Spoke to the boy last night and after much discussion we've decided to do the first battle at 1000 points, second at 1500 points and do a finally 2k point battle later in the new year.

Personally i wanted to start with a 1750 point list so i could take the list above however when he saw that my army case contained mainly missile launchers, flamers and lots of bikes he wanted to keep it a bit smaller for the first game. Apparently rapid firing twin-linked bolters and astartes granade launchers scare the <DELETED BY THE INQUISITION> out of him lol!

So... With a 1000 point limit to this first game and the knowledge of the units i have above what do you guys think i should take.

Personally i'm thinking:

Captain on a bike with power fist

Bike Squad (8man) 2x melta with multi-melta attack bike

Bike Squad (8man) 2x flamer with heavy bolter attack bike

Scout Bike Squad (5man) 3xgrenade launchers, cluster mines

Scout Squad (5man) 4 sniper, 1 ML with telion and camo cloaks

Think it comes out to 995 points.

It'll give me 4 scoring units without combat squading and 6 with (although for facing this army i'd probably split the melta squad into a tank hunter team and a mop up squad.)

I'll have two melta guns, a multi-melta, 3 grenade launchers, 1 powerfist, 1 missile launcher, 1 heavy bolter, 4 snipers, telions uber-sniper, 21 twin-linked rapid firing bolters and cluster mines to %$#& with a peice of terrain near him.

I think this is a pretty good list... If i wanted i could drop the scout bikers, a flamer and meltagun and get two landspeeder typhoons with heavy bolters as another option.

Archived