WYSIWYG

Tauren

I am just starting to build the army and I was curious as to how anal the WYSIWYG rule is... Do most players care about this? Are tournaments often pushing this rule? How anal in general are people over the rule? I ask as I am a fantasy player and we don't run into this problem.

Technically the game is WYSIWYG, so most tournaments are pretty strict (not all will be, but almost every official GW sponsored one). As for casual games, it all depends on the people you play. Hell, my friends and I have tested prospective armies with lego's before we went out to buy the final version. If you're not certain what to do about it, go to the hobby store you'd be playing at most and see how the players there treat WYSIWYG.

WYSIWYG is the standing rule that always applies. As with all rules, though, there is an exception. That is to make sure you tell yor opponent before the game what your models have. For example, My Inquisitor Lord is concealing most of his armour under his cloak/coat, so I make sure my opponent knows its meant to count as artificer armour before the game starts. Otherwise, WYSIWYG applies. This is because there are people out there who will cheat and swap items between models during games, or spring nasty surprises halfway through a battle (No, that Genestealer with extra large claws doesn't have Scything Talons, its actually a Broodlord and its in charge range.)

Proxies must be made clear before the game otherwise WYSIWYG, to cut down as much as possible on the type of cheating outlined above. If you think about it fluffwise, its an attempt to give the player the same info an actual commander would have through recon, scout patrols, earlier skrimishes etc.

I care fairly strongly, especially when it comes to what I'll call 'Major Equipment'. If a squad has a special weapon, I really want to see a model for it, and it really aught to be the right one too. If the tanks got Lascannon Sponsons, they'd better be their. You're captain has a power fist, I want to see a suitable glove or equivelent. I'd be unlikely to pester someone about widgets like auspesices, sacred books, or combat drugs, but they're nice to see. Stuff that broke in transit is almost always forgiven.

In a casual game I tend to use a rule of thumb of about one small deviation per thousand points or portion there of. A Rhino could pretend to be any similar chassied vehicle for the game as long as this was conspiquously announced at the start of the match and it was clearly distinguished from its fellowes with an appropriate decoration.

Gotcha... Mostly just curious about things like auspex and such... Seems like some wargear would be harder to figure out. Coming from warhammer it was a decision of open lists or not and when it comes to equipment like wargear (magic items etc) we usually just played with open lists so the info was out there.

In my experience, Weapons are the most important aspect of WYSIWYG, though some tournaments I have played in are somewhat lax in small weapon wargear items such as Frag, Krak, and Melta grenades. Auspex, Books, Mantles, Digital Weapons, and sometimes even Cloaks are generally ok to be amiss from the figure so long as Weapons (including Braziers of Holy Fire) are represented. However, I have yet to play a non-tourney game where my opponent has demanded that my figure be WYSIWYG so long as I told him ahead of time that I was missing something. I have used a Death Cultist as a Callidus several times, a Mystic as a Priest, even my Space Marine Dreadnoughts and Space Marines themselves have been used to represent Penitent Engines and Arco-Flagellants. And even in tournaments, WYSIWYG is determined by tourney advisors, so I have had no problems passing my Whirlwinds off as Exorcists since many officials are ok with it even if my opponent wants to throw a fit about it (happened once).

In my experience, Weapons are the most important aspect of WYSIWYG, though some tournaments I have played in are somewhat lax in small weapon wargear items such as Frag, Krak, and Melta grenades. Auspex, Books, Mantles, Digital Weapons, and sometimes even Cloaks are generally ok to be amiss from the figure so long as Weapons (including Braziers of Holy Fire) are represented. However, I have yet to play a non-tourney game where my opponent has demanded that my figure be WYSIWYG so long as I told him ahead of time that I was missing something. I have used a Death Cultist as a Callidus several times, a Mystic as a Priest, even my Space Marine Dreadnoughts and Space Marines themselves have been used to represent Penitent Engines and Arco-Flagellants. And even in tournaments, WYSIWYG is determined by tourney advisors, so I have had no problems passing my Whirlwinds off as Exorcists since many officials are ok with it even if my opponent wants to throw a fit about it (happened once).

Hell, even GW states that a Whirlwind is a perfectly acceptable model for an Exorcist. All it has to be is a Rhino Body with Missle Launchers.

Do most players care about this?

if its me, I only care for you to show weapons and upgrades you brought, you don't have to show ever little thing you get standard, there isn't really room, especially with stuff like Chaos marines, or the sprues just don't allow it

things like that, the obvious stuff

Are tournaments often pushing this rule?

I've heard most do, but I never waste my time on a tournament, waste of money/time/brainpower

How anal in general are people over the rule?

depends on the person

It also depends on your own preference, especialy in an early army, you dont want to be spending too much time early on converting a model to ghave a load of equipment you later decide isnt going to actualy work for you. Ive built models, played with them then dismantled them because they didnt work in combination with the rest of the army. Your better off doing a bunch of friendly test runs against a few different opponents and figuring out what sort fo wargear you want. WYSIWYG can limit your army sometimes, especialy untill you figure out something you want permanently.

a stormbolter sisters model could have one barrel converted, it may look lousy but I've been considering it. The oop canny model is the only sisters model with a combi-flamer. this is frustrating since all my mech battle sister squad VSSs I have armed with combi-flamers. I have a lot of space marine bits, but much of those weapons would look bulky on the smaller metal sisters models. The joy of an older all metal army.

As always, WYSIWYG is something that varies by group/tourny/LGS/personal basis. correct weapons are usually the most important to get right. If you have to proxy, be consistent. In the case of not having combi-flamers I use my stormbolter models as armed with combi-flamers. since I don't run with any real stormbolters there is no confusion over armament. Just let your opponent know. I've never had a problem with this in a friendly game since people are usually trying out new lists and such.

My major problem with WYSIWYG is combiweapons. They're such a pain to make fit WYSIWYG and make look good at the same time, given GW's being crap and not offering combiweapon bitz for Sisters...

Or use the old Canoness model for a Veteran Sister superior:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z283/Osaliske/Melody.jpg

Combi-Flamer AND Book of St. Lucias. Book is from the current Canoness. I a little trim, file, and green stuff works wonders. :)

I don't, because oddly enough they're extremely useful with the playstyle of the Sisters (who want to cause as many casualties before the inevitable assault as possible). Especially combi-flamers, fired up on the turn you use divine guidance.

From the look of combi-weapons, can't you just acquire some extra plastic parts (the flamer nozzle) and such, and convert them onto the lower half of a bolter? Doesn't seem to be a very hard conversion to me...

Add some guitar wire here, maybe an inquisition I hanging from below or something...

I don't, because oddly enough they're extremely useful with the playstyle of the Sisters (who want to cause as many casualties before the inevitable assault as possible). Especially combi-flamers, fired up on the turn you use divine guidance.
I guess that would be the differance. Most of my Marine leaders these days are going sword and board style for that rediculous 3+ invulnerability. My Inqusitorial forces are rather radical and don't pack the easy-bake options the Sororita take. Over a hundred models in a thousand points is good times, even if they are mostly cultists who die rather messily. It's like playing an inferior version of Orks.

So long as somthing odd is pointed out before hand no really seems to mind , atleast at the GW i play at.

Eg, some of my Chosen Alpha Legion have power sword/power knife combinations which count as Lightening claws.

My Sister Repentia are converted warhammer Flagellents.

On the other hand, I did make some GS stakes to represent Power Stakes and give the Inquisitor and sword for use against non witchy types (Yeah so most of the time a 20pt powersword he don't get a bonus attack for also having a pistol with)

It's hard to make look good, not hard to make.

Its not as hard as you would think =P

Heres a couple that I have made using combi-meltas from the Space Marine comander sprue. They are already the right size to accommodate the underslung flamer and it already has a fuel canister attached to the side of the gun, its just a matter of swapping out the metla barrel for a flamer head...

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/tyreal808/Finished.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/tyreal808/step15.jpg

I hope that gives ya some ideas.

May I ask where you acquire the brass rob from? I have been meaning too and I think the little train shop nearby might have it but unsure if that is what it is...

;) Brass rod is brass rod. Most hobby and craft stores should carry some variety of brass and plastic rod in several diameters, whether it is solid through the center or hollow tubing. It never hurt to ask the store staff,either, since they might put in an order if you express your interest, or otherwise recommend you to another store that can better suit your needs.

Excellent conversions.

I also see that it is your first post here.

Thank you ;)

Well Ive been a lurker here for awhile. Ive noticed that this site has a fairly large Witchhunter community so that kinda drew me here.

@ Tauren: I used brass rod and a bit of copper wire, as 7eal stated its pretty cheap and easy to find just hit up your local hobby/craft store. Just be sure to buy a tube cutter while youre at it, it will ensure a clean cut and wont pinch the ends of your tubbing like clippers will. :P

Awhile back I created a tutorial on how to build my combi-flamer which can be found here:

http://www.minus1mod.com/smf/index.php?top...3.msg689#msg689

Archived