Demon Lord

hivetrygon

The blue tack is causing both the arms and the head to sit a lot further up and out than fitted dry as if you glued them in place. The arms fit into the sockets a lot but to create enough of a sticky glob to hold them I have to fill the sockets with tack, thus the odd look of the fitted parts. :D

Anyway, started the ornate armored arms now, did the upper arm plate layer and will begin adding the designs and such next. Then the gauntlets and hands.

I'm getting ready to head down and start 2 new heads and the big muscled arms next. Something thicker and shorter. Stocky and muscled yet stumpy enough to work with the fat torso if you wanted. :D

New horns and a few more wip shots. I can't wait to finish this and put a few together for myself.

http://trollsforge.com/workbench/tfdem1.jpg

http://trollsforge.com/workbench/tfdem2.jpg

Any suggestions on the dogs tooth head? I think the hair and horns will help but not 100% happy with it. Might scratch it. Also need to do something with the back and neck of the fat guy. I set his head forward but now think it needs to move up and back allowing traps to be thicker. :P

A few tweaks.

http://trollsforge.com/workbench/tfdem3.jpg

I still might throw the hound head away. I want to put the spiked collar and hair on first. If I still hate it, in the bin it goes. ;)

I'm sure going to. Is that an offer. B)

EDIT: DOH quoted myself instead of you. :)

wow amazing GS work. some of those are not so well proportioned however.

I know, it's a demon. I kept them close but some I took over the top for the otherworldly look. Muscles are right as I can get for a 360 degree poseability. Even the torso can be twisted slightly if you want. Arms up, down, left to right. I scratched the human legs in the bottom left, were way off when I looked at it. New legs started. The meaty arms are almost perfect and the bull legs are very close, well for a bull with a human torso.

I also threw the dog like head in the trash for a replacement. I added the collar and still hate it. Also pitched the spider face, not good enough, have another head in there, much better. Armored arms are almost there, finishing hands today if all goes well.

@MFV, I'll send you one when it's done. <_<

I know, it's a demon. I kept them close but some I took over the top for the otherworldly look. Muscles are right as I can get for a 360 degree poseability. Even the torso can be twisted slightly if you want. Arms up, down, left to right. I scratched the human legs in the bottom left, were way off when I looked at it. New legs started. The meaty arms are almost perfect and the bull legs are very close, well for a bull with a human torso.

I also threw the dog like head in the trash for a replacement. I added the collar and still hate it. Also pitched the spider face, not good enough, have another head in there, much better. Armored arms are almost there, finishing hands today if all goes well.

@MFV, I'll send you one when it's done. :tu:

I think there is still some weirdness about how he is proportioned all in all. Sculpting stuff for 40k is a pain in the ass because GW uses a s strange proportion system. If you take a look at their miniatures they are awfully proportioned.

My point being that normal proportions don't really apply when you are working in miniature, you need to accentuate some features at the cost of others.

Generally you want to make the heads a bit bigger and the legs a bit shorter. The long horned head for instance, has too small a head/neck, which makes the entirety of the sculpt looks a bit off.

Great job though, I'm very interested in painting one of these guys up. How long until you have some cast and ready to ship?

@MFV, I'll send you one when it's done. :P

I think there is still some weirdness about how he is proportioned all in all. Sculpting stuff for 40k is a pain in the ass because GW uses a s strange proportion system. If you take a look at their miniatures they are awfully proportioned.

My point being that normal proportions don't really apply when you are working in miniature, you need to accentuate some features at the cost of others.

Generally you want to make the heads a bit bigger and the legs a bit shorter. The long horned head for instance, has too small a head/neck, which makes the entirety of the sculpt looks a bit off.

Great job though, I'm very interested in painting one of these guys up. How long until you have some cast and ready to ship?

I think I understand what your saying. I know proportions in miniatures tends to be a tough thing to agree upon at times. I'm a fan of Adrian Smith and if you look at many of his drawings these proportions will become evident in my work. Gary Chalk is another I like a lot. I need to be careful and not fall back into my older style, so thanks for getting me back on track.

As for casting and molding it will be mid January before they are ready I think. Could be sooner or later depending upon my job and all the other stuff I'm doing for people on my forum. I've got 25 molds or so right now waiting for cutting and casting alone. I'm trying to speed it up with having more torso and heads going but the wings are the part which will slow this down.

I have to go back to all 4 torso and cut in sockets for the wings, then make spikes and items for plugs to fill those if or wish to make an unwinged version. I'm also doing a jet pack set of wings which will take a little time to get right. So all in all lots of tiny bits.

Yeah, I didn't mean to be so negative. I think another aspect of sculpting is that the whole thing doesn't come together until it's finished, especially when you have it done as modules. Blocking out shapes can make more a little more clear, but I am not sure that applies here.

In any case, shoot me a PM when you have one finished and I might snatch it up.

Just a little fun view of the new heads:

http://trollsforge.com/workbench/tfdem4.jpg

Also you can see the armored arms near finished. I started over on the lower armored human legs. They were to short as mentioned above, and since they are "human" shaped I wanted to correct the proportions on those. Now when I get the leg muscle on the things done and the shin armor or boots in I'll show those. I decided to make the legs on the things bare and the loin cloth will hide the rest. Kind of Khorne or Slaanesh.

The mini has a real lovely, old-school vibe like the illustrations of ROC.

having just finished reading the new Daemon codex, I can also appreciate the fact they have a true warhammer feel to them. They really belong in the universe created by the design team. Thumbs up. This is gonna blow the krapski WHFB DP plastic kit out of the water by a long shot! Keep at it, show GW whos boss :)

The mini has a real lovely, old-school vibe like the illustrations of ROC.

having just finished reading the new Daemon codex, I can also appreciate the fact they have a true warhammer feel to them. They really belong in the universe created by the design team. Thumbs up. This is gonna blow the krapski WHFB DP plastic kit out of the water by a long shot! Keep at it, show GW whos boss :D

Well I do have some bionics and jet pack options planed for the sci-fi version. I'm even going to get some power cables sculpted so you can take and heat the resin with a hair dryer and bend into the direction you want for some extra sci-fi goodness. One bionic eyed face planed as well. As for the arms I'll have one bionic claw replacement that can be used with combinations of the others. If the wings would out where the base is the same size as these arms I might make 2 claw bionic arms you could swap out with the wings or the arms. All these parts are coming last as I tool all the other parts with details. Veins, little spines, jewlery, etc. all still has to be added.

These new pictures really sum up how this unique kit is coming along. Ill take two of these when they arrive!

The options provided are wide and varied, allowing both more traditional goaty demons, and downright disturbing chest-mawed tongue-lashing weirdoes. I can see this having an extremely bright future with converters. As long as the price is right, the sheer amount of excellent extra heads, chests and arms in the kit will make it an essential purchase to boost your bitz box with genius parts.

Each possible combination screams its own identity, and the most important thing, they belong in the 40k universe. The sculpts show their connection and place in the background, tieing them in place in the warp.

Well done sir. How much will these be? 35 quid?...or less *puppy eyes* :o

My plan is $25 for the limited kits which will still give loads of options, the build your own if you will. I have or have planned 10 heads, one more torso yet, 2 sets of wings, and lots more. So the whole thing will probably be more in the $45-50 range. That will be well over 40+parts though. B)

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while. Working on a few more options and to be honest have been designing the power armor for my different human troops. Sorta slacked on this slightly. I'm getting close to having all the head options done and might do 1 more, not sure yet. That said an update on a few new parts and additions.

I'm not sure of the bird head. People wanted a longer neck but even though I like it, not 100% happy with it. I'll probably scratch it for a small vulture looking head and no feathers.

http://trollsforge.com/workbench/tfdem6.jpg

ooh cthulu head! i wonder if I can buy the set, is there a list that i can choose bitz from?

The more parts and options I'm going to have is making me think of a build your own kit, or a buy it all kit option. The build your own will be done in bits so you can custom make yours. To me it makes the most sence and I can probably even get it down in the $19.99 range. I'll wait until everything is done and in place to see what the deals will be. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Some tweaks. I should get some pictures of new parts such as armor, and wings soon. Had a terrible weekend. Bought some new resin which was bad and so far might have ruined about 21 molds. I never would have guessed but I'm trying to salvage them before remolding and thus lost time on the demon this weekend. :D

http://trollsforge.com/workbench/tfdem7.jpg

Archived