FW to redo the =I=?

boreas

Luckily enough, for me anyway, they equipped this guy with a sword and Storm Shield...which is the kit I'd be giving my GKGM (+1 attack this way). So I'll certainly be using this for a GM.

The problem with CC Inquisitors is that they're expensive and not durable enough to be worth it compared to Grey Knights. It's a bit different in a WH army as the retinue can have Warrior henchmen and man-catcher wielding acolytes.

But the WH Inquisitor is worse for close combat because the WH Inquisitor has fewer weapons shoices, and no choice for a 2+ armor type. If they want double strength, they must take up both hands to do it.

The DH Inquisitor has thunder hammers, a daemonhammer, lightning claws, power fists, terminator armor, artificer armor, and so on, which the C:WH Inquistor doesn't get.

Basicly, the way the codices are made up, the C:WH Inquisitor is a second class Inquisitor which doesn't get anything cool.

I like it but I still like the GK terminator armor better. This armor closely resembles a terminator armor version of the current inquisitor armor, look at the shoulder-plates. That said its a gorgeous model and way out of my price range.

Yea, Melissa everything you listed is pretty inconsequential to a CC unit. The eviscerator taking 2 hands doesn't matter at all since no one in their right mind is going to pay 50 points to get their inquisitor +1 S6 Initiative 1 CC attacks. The Daemonhammer is a complete waste on an Inquisitor, only ever worth it on a Grandmaster. Lightning claws might be worth it, but with only S3 again, you're not gonna be doing much.

On the otherhand, a DH inquisitor has a terrible CC retinue (spending the points they do for their mediocre CC servitors is hard to stomach) whereas the WH inquisitor has access to the pretty cool Crusaders AND mancatchers! At least with the WH retinue you can make a VERY viable CC unit specializing in taking down monstrous creatures like Hive Tyrants and Carnifexes.

Though really...CC inquisitors are never going to be the CC powerhouse one wants, and even if they do perform you very likely could have spent the points better elsewhere.

The eviscerator taking 2 hands doesn't matter at all since no one in their right mind is going to pay 50 points to get their inquisitor +1 S6 Initiative 1 CC attacks.

Thunder hammer (or power fist) + storm shield. Looks like your point is moot! In order to get the same effect, a C:WH player would hav to pay fifty poitns for the rosarius and eviscerator, compared to the 35 points fo the TH+SH.

As for the rest, the WH Inquisitor is easier to kill because of their crappier save. No artificer armor, storm shield, or terminator armor. They have to pay points for a rosarius. Yes, they get slightly better retinue, but in comparison the Inquisitor themselves suck.

I must admit that a tooled-out DH Inquisitor will almost always out-CC a WH Inquisitor in single-combat. But I'd have to try a tooled CC DH =I= lord and retinue vs an WH =I= lord and retinue (both retinues of 3 henchmen since this is what the FW model will come with).

I'd say:

DH:

Inquisitor-Lord: Terminator armor, master-crafted twin-LC, Icon of ther Just

-familiar

-Acolyte with power-weapon x2

WH:

Inquisitor-lord: Power-armor, master-crafted power-stake, Rosarius, digital weapons

-Crusader x2

-Surgeon

Phil

A storm shield will not grant a powerfist or thunderhammer an extra attack, it's explicitly stated in the rulebook that all items that have these effects (namely 2x strength, ignore armor saves, strike at Initiative 1) need a second weapon of the same type for the bonus. And since the DH does not explicitly say that Powerfists gain an extra attack for being equipped in addition to a standard CCW, then they follow the rulebook. Bummer right?

A storm shield will not grant a powerfist or thunderhammer an extra attack
And? Storm shields only cost ten points. A rosarius costs 25. Since the thunder hammer costs the same as the eviscerator, that means that to get a rosarius+eviscerator, the WH =][= must pay 50 points, while the DH =][=, to get a TH+SS, pays 35 points. This means the C:DH =][= can master-craft his thunder hammer and end up spending the same on equipment as the C:WH =][=.

Even if C:WH had access to storm shields however, one could not equip a storm shield with an eviscerator, ergo they'd STILL be inferior. C:WH's equivalent, the Praesidium Protectiva, is not only entirelly inferior tot he Storm Shield, it costs the same and the inquisitors can't get them anwyay.

Ah, Melissa I just got your point. I didn't realize you were talking about the dinky little save you get from a Stormshield (I assumed you thought it gave +1 attack in Close combat for being a basic CCW). This is a very minor thing to be complaining about in terms of wargear. Honestly it doesn't make matter much, besides a 4+ save against one target in CC is nothing compared to a constant 4+ invulnerable save, even for +15 points. Look at the DH equivalent, the Icon of the Just, same thing as the Rosarius. And the ONLY reason anyone ever brings up the stormshield is to give to a Grandmaster so he gets +1 attack with his Nemesis Force weapon...no one takes it otherwise.

I can see why you might be miffed about the Inquistors themselves, because yes, the DH Inquisitor seems more durable. However, when it comes down to it he's just one model, the strength of the Inquisitor unit has NEVER been them, but the entire retinue. You have to take this all into account when debating which units are superior. Basically, in the end the DH retinue is better at shooting because of the access to Psycannons, while the WH retinue is superior in close combat (due to the Crusaders and access to man-catchers).

But back to the model! Did anyone read Imperial Armour 6, or do they know anything about the Hector Rex character? He seems pretty sweet, haha.

Being as I field a close combat WH Inquisitor, I don't think they're inferior at all :) I'd hardly call a force weapon an inferior close combat choice. Nor is a 3+/4+ armor save at all a bad thing. Crusader henchmen are positively awesome, and taking 2 chiurgeons in your retinue allows you to even ignore 1 instant death wound per round, no matter the source. That's quite handy.

If I rearrange the acolytes I can have each with a power weapon AND carapace armor (that's right, power weapons for WH are cheaper!), I could have.. lets see... a unit with 23 power weapon attacks on the charge, 4 of which can have frag grenades and a 3+ armor save/4+ invulnerable save, and 3 models with a 4+ save. Show me the Daemon Hunter retinue that can pull that off.

Just because you don't think it's worth it, doesn't mean it's inferior :P There's a LOT to be said for a close combat Inquisitorial retinue, especially in an Ordo Hereticus army. Seraphim are not the only close combat unit available to the Witch Hunters.

edit: slight correction of gear you can squeeze on the acolytes.

My dealer told me today that the model, an (most likely Ordo Malleus) Inquisitor Lord, will be accompanied by a special retinue made up of three additional characters. These might may be available in late January, but he was not sure about that.

He also speculated that their rules and stats may be found in the upcoming IA7 which possibly deals with Vraks being overrun by demons.

Sounds cool to me and I hope he is right/knows more than he admits.

I have to say with the quality of it i have to buy it, with the additional retinue coming aswell i have to buy it.

I dont care it if its going to DH, i know i love to run pure Sisters army but if they wont allow WH to field a WH Inquistor with Terminator armour then i have to break from doctrine and may include a DH Inquistor and tool him for CC with a nice big FW tooled out Landraider.

Answer to why I don't make CC tar pit INQ

Because IF I HAD SPARE POINTS I WOULD BUY MORE GK OR SISTERS! Almost every GK squad, maxed out Sister squad and even a max IST squad will be better at tarpitting due to the number of wounds or combat abillities they have, and almost all cost about the same as a tooled up Inq lord or for the IST you can buy two! Actually my eversore makes the best tar pit ever due to infiltrate, combat drugs, neuro gantlet, power weapon, and up to ten attacks on the charge. Best thing about an eversor is that he is only 95 points so he costs less then even the ten man IST squad.

Well, there it is in all its painted glory.http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/daemonhunters/hectorr4.jpg

I must say I am not over the moon with the retinue. In fact, seems to me that the GW retiunes of either DH or GK are actually better looking.

And what a shameless ripoff, the warrior acolyte, does it look like a certain chaos sorcerer?

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2070125_99110201228_ChaosSorcerers_873x627.jpg

Yeah, the retinue is a bit of a let-down... Compared to the DKOK quartermaster's retinue it's a bit plain. I might just put them on eBay :drool:

60$ for a single model is a bit steep so I'm not sure I'm going to rush into this one. Although I really want to give my support to anything =I=...

Phil

60$ for a single model is a bit steep so I'm not sure I'm going to rush into this one. Although I really want to give my support to anything =I=...

It shouldn't be anywhere close to $60 unless you're in Australia, it's just under £28 plus shipping.

It shouldn't be anywhere close to $60 unless you're in Australia, it's just under £28 plus shipping.

Well, in Canada it's 56.25$ with shipping... Pretty close to 60$. Of course, that's using our Monopoly dollars! In the US, that would be closer to 50$ with shipping. Still expensive for a unit of which I really want one model!

Phil

Archived