Cluster Mines and Scout move

Zieggenfus

Does everyone have the codex?

Pg 67 (as mentioned) is pretty clear how this works.

1) Terrain is placed

2) The scout player declares he has placed mines and writes down where they're located

3) Forces are deployed, anything deployed into said terrain at this point in time would not count for moving

4) Ya infiltrate yer sneaky stuff (still technically not moving)

5) Scout moves-(the operative word being "move") they move into the terrain, it goes boom.

For whatver reason (as mentioned) your own forces (incuding the scout bikers )will set these off- there's no ambiguity in the rules so no need to dice anything off.

I think Hexx hit the nail on the head. At least this is the way I read it too. Now on the other hand; if half the unit deploys inside the terrain and the other half outside of the terrain and on a subsequent turn (it doesn't matter if its the first, second or the last it just happens later on) they move the rest of the unit inside the terrain. Does it go BOOM! or not?

"IN" the terrain is not so easy - any one model in and the whole unit will move per the terrain (difficult) so all counts as in for that purpose. to determine cover, at least half the unit must be able to claim cover from the firers or majority thereof so it's a relative measure when shooting. when assaulted, if the charing unit does not make a difficult terrain roll, then the unit partially within the outline of area is not in cover for the assault.

so to say that a unit moves into the terrain only when no models from that unit are already in the terrain is a stretch, by rules precedent, but does agree with movement rules somewhat in that a model beginning the turn in the area will generate a diff terrain test, but then, so does moving into the terrain when no models are in.

simply put - Hexx, it's not quite that simple. personally, I would say that members of a unit moving into the area would set off the mines, regardless of other models' within the unit location at the start of the movement. in moving through difficult area, both of these conditions are the same and that is the closest relationship to the mines that we have to go off of.

I don't know- honestly (in this case) I'd like to agree with you- I hate mines, to me thery're something either every army should have or none, but that's completely off topic so..

All we have is the rule for the mine saying if a unit moves in, stuff goes boom.

If part of the unit is deployed in that area, they haven't moved in.

Moving the rest of the unit in doesn't move "the unit" in, -they're already there.

I would completely agree with you if the rule said models- which I wish it did, but if part of your unit is in the terrain, you should (according to the rule for the mines) be safe.

I think it should have been written that anything moving in the terrain (including in/out/just moving around in) sets them off, but as it stands, if part of the unit is deployed in the terrain, you're not moving the unit into the terrain, you're moving some models into the terrain.

Archived