Captain Lysander

ExarPucc

I feel that Lysander was one of the characters I was quick to look over due to a combination of his bright yellow color and his bolter drill rule being limited to his squad alone, in which he doesn't use a bolter himself.

After doing more looking and considering though, he looks to be a bit of a monster. I was thinking him tied in with a libby and a handful of A.Termies. Now that's a lot of power and points to pack into one group, but, look at the potential.

If you run TH/SS termies, and chuck them into a LRC, you'll be getting 6 termies, Lysander, and the libby. The libby can support by doing a multitude of things. Be it Kill those pesky demon invul saves. Or making sure he strikes first himself. Or use him offensively with his skills that blow stuff up to soften the enemy.

Putting them in a LRC would soften up and immediate assault target as well. The prime issue I see with the load out is that LRC would need to do some tricky manouvering to ensure it lives to deliever the contents where needed. At best, the assault will get launched on T2. Granted if the LRC dies, everyone is still working a 2+/3++ save. That's a lot of living.

What do you all think? Any experiences with the big yellow machine?

I almost single-handedly won a co-op tournament with Lysander. It was a 750-750 point split co-op list. I brought Lysander as a change of pace. I knew no one was going to bring anything big enough to make him a non-factor. He ended up smashing Hammerheads up, pounding Leman Russ's into the ground, routing whole squads of guys...

He is a total beast. Better than Marneus, in my opinion. Cheaper too. Start him with some sternguard, give them the bolter drill, then break him off as your opponent reactively tries to charge your sternguard. Watch the blood bath ensue.

Total, total beast. I recommend using him. He's easily my favorite special character in the new codex.

I use Lysander with 10 sternguard in a drop pod. Bolter drill with the vengence rounds spells death to a space marine player (or any other player for that matter). Not to mention my lysander just took out his 3rd land raider in as many games.

I try to use him as a diversion but he is so survivable that he ends up being a game winner for me.

Not a big fan of the yellow though.

Definately a BEAST!

Lysander is a great choice if i may say so. Just as said before stick him with Sternguard and have him duke it out on his own in cc.

He can even provide a good cover save for youre long Range devastators by reinforcing youre Terrain. A 2+ cover save can be extremely helpfull.

In my oppinion if you stick him with Terminators would be a waste of his abilities.

if your gonna stick Lysander with Terminators why not just buy a captain with hammer shield and termi armour?, its cheaper, sure no str10 hammer, but do you really need str10?

Extra survivability? Dunno. This is why I started this discussion. :huh:

if your gonna stick Lysander with Terminators why not just buy a captain with hammer shield and termi armour?, its cheaper, sure no str10 hammer, but do you really need str10?

For barly more points than a powerfist you get -

• Bolter Drill
  • +1 Wounds & Eternal Warrior
  • Bolster Defense
  • Str 10 Thunder Hammer with +1 Damage vs Tanks!

I can see no reason to take a normal Captain in TDA.

Either go with Storm Bolter, Artifact Armour & Relic Blade on a normal Captain or take Lysander.

played against lysander once, and he was a great tar pit... even with poor rolls on his part, he held up a unit of terminators for 3 turns, blocking them from getting near any objective to contest it (my intention), and having a major effect on the game despite killing virtually nothing.

quite impressed. :D

A 2+ cover save can be extremely helpfull.

And where are you getting this 2+ cover from...? Bolster defence only works on ruins (which are 4+) and NOT reinforced barricades or whatever (3+)... and a single piece of terrain can only be reinforced once. So, no, he's not giving devvies a 2+, unless they've gone to ground.

Scouts with cloaks, on the other hand...

I have yet to play lysander in my Imperal Fist army as I only use a 1000pts at the moment but I liked him in the previous edition, now I am in love ^_^. While I like the sternguard idea I think it is abit harsh so will most likely be using him with some termies. Now for a real big games take Kantor as your other HQ choice and turn that sternguard into scoring unit and drop pod them in lol

I've only run him twice since his re-debute in 5th ed. Once by himself and once with shooty termies in a Land Raider. When I ran him by himself, he took out a 30 Ork strong slugga boy mob in two turns while only losing one wound. When he was with the termies, they charged a unit of GK Termies after shooting them. Bolter drill didn't work as well I had hoped but the target was awfully tough to start with. On the charge, since the GK's went first, he was the only one left. He managed to wipe them all out by himself, and then survive 6 direct hits from an exorsist tank! He ruled the battle field in both cases. I was a little disappointed with Bolter Drill and his giving the army Stubborn rule. My Tac squads could have fallen back several times so that we could shoot up what ever was assaulting them, but had to stay in combat. We lost because of that against the Inquisition army.

All in all, I love using him. I think I'll try him out with assault termies next time. I great assest to our Fists.

There aren't too many characters to be outright feared, but Lysander is one of them. Just don't leave him open for small arms fire and he will generally cause people to become very singleminded

Now for a real big games take Kantor as your other HQ choice and turn that sternguard into scoring unit and drop pod them in

Been taking this in 1750 with 2 lots of 10 sternguard. They're grerat at laying waste to things and then with pedro nearby lysander becomes a beast on the charge. As you're in your opponents deployment zone or over objectives you're almost guaranteed to get into fights. In the last two games he's killed 2 wave serpents, 2 vypers, some dire avengers, a venerable dreadnought, a regular dreadnought some bikes and was lining up to kill a wolf priest and some long fangs before they got shot.

Now for a real big games take Kantor as your other HQ choice and turn that sternguard into scoring unit and drop pod them in

Been taking this in 1750 with 2 lots of 10 sternguard. They're grerat at laying waste to things and then with pedro nearby lysander becomes a beast on the charge. As you're in your opponents deployment zone or over objectives you're almost guaranteed to get into fights. In the last two games he's killed 2 wave serpents, 2 vypers, some dire avengers, a venerable dreadnought, a regular dreadnought some bikes and was lining up to kill a wolf priest and some long fangs before they got shot.

You take 400 points of HQ in 1750? Yeesh.

You take 400 points of HQ in 1750? Yeesh.

Yup. Wouldn't normally, but it seems to be working. He's doing more damage than a tactical squad on his own and i don't have the attack bikes which I'd like to replace him with. To be honest tho the rest of the list is equally daft...but it seems to be working thus far. It's fun and daft...a good combination in my mind :(

~O

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to get real crazy....

Lysander with 10 man Terminator squad, 2x Cyclones, 10x Storm Bolters

Pick a ruin near the centre of the battle field to fortify. Advance you termies to that point. Dominate the centre of the board with Storm Bolter Rerolls, 4x Krak/Frag missile shots a turn, Stubborn, with a 2+ armour save and a 3+ cover save, turning into a 2+ cover save if going to ground.

Use the wound allocation dice to your benefit; assign lascannon hits to Lysander, 3+ invulnerable backed up by Eternal Warrior makes him the premier Railgun Sponge in the game. Those pesky Tau suits just lit you up with RF plasma? Assign 3 wounds to lysander [4 if you feeling adventurous, as you have 4 chance to make at least one 3+ save...] and you have just taken a big bite out of your opponents attempt to reduce you terminator firebase...

Once your termie squad is safe from assault, run him up the board and smash everything/anything into powder...

Gonna try this out with two Landraiders transporting my scoring units out of harms way...

A 2+ cover save can be extremely helpfull.

And where are you getting this 2+ cover from...? Bolster defence only works on ruins (which are 4+) and NOT reinforced barricades or whatever (3+)... and a single piece of terrain can only be reinforced once. So, no, he's not giving devvies a 2+, unless they've gone to ground.

Scouts with cloaks, on the other hand...

He means Armour Save. Terminator Armour grants Lyslander a 2+ Armour Save.

lysander is the toughest SC there can be. he has 4 wounds plus eternal warrior so he can go in a combat with an ork warboss with power klaw and come out unharmed thanks to his grand 3+ invunerable plus against norml attacks he has 2+ which is monsterous and makes C'tan cry.

lets remember that master crafted hammer of his that is str 10 and plus one on the damage chart so this means against most tanks thats an auto penetrating hit if he strikes (and for you poor baals out there that have stalled, you know this is bad!). he can also take a pummeling and go 'is that it' and put squads on the bad foot with 3 attacks with one re-roll so with good rolls against those large ork mobs your putting down 6 a turn which dispite not being good for him, it means that large squad ain't setting about your more fragile tacticals (if theres such a thing!).

so far i've played with him countless times and so far he has been only killed once and that was end game and dispite the ork player saying he was killed to shooting he was down to one wound, the orks fired everything at him and in the end one failed armour save. he can set about any unit and still come out asking for more and then some

Screw sternguard, tactical terminators or Pedro Kantor. What you all want to try is running Lysander with Shrike.

Think of him not as your 2nd HQ, but as a terminator assault squad that has 4 wounds instead of 5 and you wont go wrong. With this mentality he can even be taken in smaller battles. I run Shrike, Lysander and 10 assault terminators at 1,500. My army's probably way too small but it doesn't lose immediately and it's a lot of fun. It becomes brutal at higher points levels though.

I ordinarily infiltrate Shrike with a large squad of thunder hammer terminators to serve as the mother of all distractions, allowing Lysander and my other terminators to fleet up the board.

Fleeting Lysander! Fleeting Lysander! Just say that to yourself a bit. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I suppose you could consider attaching Shrike to Lysander and infiltrating the two of them. Probably make for some serious hurt to tanks if you got first turn but they'd be gunned down no question if your opponent went first. Probably best to deploy Lysander from a land raider.

But still... Fleeting :cuss Lysander! Fleet! Lysander! Fleet!

LYSANDER-WING RESURRECTION!

HQ:200

Lysander

Elites: 920

10x Terminator Squad

2x Cyclone

10x Terminator Squad

2x Cyclone

10xTactical Squad

Flamer, Multi-Melta

10x Tactical Squad

Flamer Multi-Melta

1x Razorback

HS: 500

LR Crusader

LR Godhammer

2000 pts

Tactica:

Immoveable object

Advance the terminator phalanx up the middle with lysander

all armour sweeps up ONE flank in support and forms up with the firebase to bisect the battle field

Pick a ruin near the your home objectives to fortify. Advance you termies to that point. Dominate the centre of the board with 40x storm bolter shots, 8x Krak/Frag missile shots a turn, Bolter Rerolls for 20 of those storm bolter shots, Stubborn, with a 2+ armour save and a 3+ cover save, turning into a 2+ cover save if going to ground.

Or more aggressively, place a tac squad in that fortified ruin and blast anything that goes near them. If they come under concentrated fire, go to ground and take a 2+ cover save every turn while sitting on the objective!

Use the wound allocation dice to your benefit; assign lascannon hits to Lysander, 3+ invulnerable backed up by Eternal Warrior makes him the premier Railgun Sponge in the game. Those pesky Tau suits just lit you up with RF plasma? Assign 3 wounds to lysander [4 if you feeling adventurous, as you have 4 chances to make at least one 3+ save...] and you have just taken a big bite out of your opponents attempt to reduce you terminator firebase...

Once your termie squad is safe from assault, run him up the board and smash tanks and Monstrous Creatures into powder...

Gonna try this out with two Landraiders transporting my scoring units out of harms way...

Archived