Captain Lysander

ExarPucc

My take on Lysander is he is awesome, tough and not bad offensively. To take advantage of his abilities, I would probably give him a body guard of standard Terminator, around 8 strong, marching them up the centre of your army. They have the firepower to shred opponents at range with his bolter drill, the numbers to anchor your "line" and in close combat he can give an edge to them. 550pts, aint to shabby for 9 2+ save models, one of which is a 4 wound min-dreadnought even in 1,500pts.

His offensive capabilities in close combat mean he will struggle against hoards. 3 attacks is nothing to shout about, hence the body guard of Terminators to thin enemy numbers with re-rolling storm bolters.

He is a total beast. Better than Marneus, in my opinion. Cheaper too. Start him with some sternguard, give them the bolter drill, then break him off as your opponent reactively tries to charge your sternguard. Watch the blood bath ensue

Now, better than Calgar? Hardly, he has less attacks, stubborn is not as good as choosing to pass or fail at your own discretion, he can't re-roll to wound with everything, he can't choose to use a power weapon, he can't shoot with an AP2 storm bolter...

Don't get me wrong, Lysander and Calgar have very different strengths and applications in an army and their points value speaks volumes. But a 3+ invulnerable is not that good when you consider the meagre 3 attack Lysander gets. Lets just not compare the two really. Calgar is an engine of destruction while Lysander is unmoveable.

But giving him a body guard of 10 Sternguard isn't a bad idea! They have 2 attacks each, their sarg can have a power fist and you can wack them all in a drop pod with Lysander for bolter shocking goodness. Woe betide the opponent who needs to counter attack them!

Fleeting Lysander! Fleeting Lysander! Just say that to yourself a bit. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

You, sir, are evil! :P

I usually run Lysander with 10 Terminators, 1 with Cyclone and 1 with an assault cannon (I would have prefered 2 cyclones but I only have so many bitz.)

They are deadly at range, deadly in close combat, and deadly strong.

Sadly they are deadly to your points since that squad puts you back 600-700 points.

oh fleeting termys with lysander is truely evil indeed. but i still think flanking land raiders are just as nasty (especially redeemers or crusaders). i tend to run lysander with 5 termys in a redeemer with a CML and basicly use them as a fire base that is in close range to the enemy.

another note is you could just make the toughest unit alive by taken 10 SS/TH termys with him and deep strike them (an entire army shooting at us, whats afterwards?! ;) ) and thats 11 2+/3+ models there and if you take vulkan you got all those thunder hammers nice and pretty with master craftedness!!! (10 re-rolls with them is quite nice sounding huh) and i can tell you, i want to field 30 of those plus lysander!!! (something like 1300 points or something, screw the objectives, its annilations every game for those guys!!!).

i would say lysander is something of the most value for a SC, hes 200 points for 2+ armour, 3+ invunerable, got a str 10 MCTH (who needs re-rolls, and who needs some sword we won't use because we don;t get an extra attack!!!), has 4 wounds. marneus only has armour save 3+ plus 4+, put it this way, unless you want some glorified smurf costing you tons of points that can't take the punishment that lysander can, then lysander is the way to go. and the god of war rule is the only reason i'd ever take marneus, for 285 points (termy armour) even i'm not that mad, thats the cost of my land raider redeemer!!!

Archived