Fallout themed army...

Tauren

I have loved and played the fallout series since its creation, love the lore and fluff, but most of all love the look. I look back at my miniatures, specifically my inquisitor and retinue so far, and I see see heavy robotic/cyborg like critters, a techpriest, a pilot (old starter set guy with pistol and power cells) etc. Now I look at fallout and I keep thinking "brotherhood of steel". I am curious on peoples opinions on taking the Grey knights and converting them to look more rustic in their power-armor, more cables, perhaps replacing some back-packs with servo back-packs. Just a curious thought...

Do you think it could be done? Anyone else who knows what I speak of and could give me some ideas on it while I think would be awesome. Currently I am slowly cleaning and converting my army for the first 1000 pts, including crystals on all my bases. I would like to keep my soldiers neutral and metallic in color, golds and silvers besides any cloth which will probably be an ivory cloth with red accents. Beyond that I plan to do space wolves grey gravel base and the crystals are gonna be bright red highlighted to orange. I plan to hopefully do the weapons the same way, psychicly attuned crystals that are used in NFW production seems like a good idea for the blades. But how could I take it to the next level?

Additionally I am using the old storm-troopers, the cool ones with the masks and lots of lenses. I want to keep inquisition but at the same time I want some feeling behind the brotherhood, technology, implants, little machines etc. Not so far as adeptus mechanicus symbols but you get my drift.

Fluff-wise, perhaps a sub-sect of the knights that operate closely with a certain techy oriented inquisitor. In order to deal with the limited numbers and certain conditions certain augmentations and upgrades to their armor were required? Just thoughts, really that's what is so great about the inquisition, open book to write on.

Mostly I just need ideas... conversions would be good also. Thunderfire cannon used as a gun servitor with conversion. Currently I plan to use an enginseer as a sage for example.

easy way to make this work. a small, unspoken of yet extremely zealous sect of GK's and inquisition followed chaos back through the eye. eventually they came out and the warp either had certain affects on them and their gear or they had to rig their suits in order to protect themselves from the taint of the warp.

As far as how to do it, that's not my forte. Now if you need to know how to make muddy bases, that I can do!

yea, thats a bit tough. Seeing as I'm lazy with my fluff, i'd probably say that they went through the appropriate channels, gave the right codes, etc. Besides they're grey knights! you think a member of the inquisition would question them. Heck, they're just lucky the GK's don't purge them just for coming in contract with them :D

I like the idea, keeps them clean. It wouldn't be the first time that a unit had returned from the eye of terror, plus it keeps with the ideal that they are hardened vets. On top of that I want to keep my knights the way all knights are, pure so they are not tainted. But at the same time a little impure, coming from the tech modifications rather than taint.

Fallout 1 two and tactics are amazing, not to sure bout 3 though (nor was I to impressed with the last installment either the brother hood of steel one)

I have no clue how to make GK look fallout ish, but if you pull it off it would look awesome!!

Fallout 1 and 2 amazing... fallout tactics? good game? possibly... but lore/fluff wise? horrible... A lot of contradictions from what I read. Fallout 3 a total blast. As for the knights well, my current plans are to finish cleaning and crystalizing the bases. At the moment I am thinking rivits Some eyes drilled out and replaced with lenses and wires. Some wire bypasses. Replacing some of the blades on the weapons with different weapons. Perhaps a hammer or mace here and there. All the non grey knight models are already gonna be getting the jaw part of the knight helm in green stuff. Some wires here and there, scuffed up armor, crystals growing on the armor. The occasional bullet hole... Few chunks of helm missing, I'll have to get some heads to GS into gaps in the helms. Could have a few knights with blind-folds covering their eyes and a servo skull hooked up to their helm to represent a knight who's eyes have been damaged. The storm-troopers are pretty much set but may need some wiring and rivits. Trying to think what other options can be used and gotten from the eye of terror to show "rugged" repairs.

Imo, Fallout 3 is a fallout game in title only.

And making a T-51B would probably be better based off the space marine power armour (mk.7).

With some converting on the backside, helmet, and shoulders.

Though using a Mk.2 or Mk.3 helmet should make converting the helmet easier.

Link to image.

While I could argue the merits of fallout 3, as a stand-alone game it is amazing. It is a different style and a different look on fallout, in a different area of the existing world, produced by a different studio and company. To expect the exact same thing in style and game setup would be two things, a few ticks of crazy and old and tired. If I wanted to play fallout 2 or 1's style of game I would... that's why they exist, but like diablo 1 to diablo 2 you see differences and I believe that their style and gaming mechanics worked to produce an excellent stand alone game that fits well into a world. Their choice of engine while not the turn based top down view was adequate to keep the attention I enjoy from combat, the bloody nasty, strategized targeting, although they missed the eyes spot as a place to shot the head explosions and arm ripping joy was good enough for me. That said I did notice inconsistencies, and at the same time consistencies that only a true fallout player would notice. The past lore given out by the brotherhood held all the past games, even the commonly rejected fallout tactics, as cannon and retained their fluff because it was an important part of the world that had already been shaped. Additionally their choice of engine lends itself to modification by the outside community which is an absolutely fantastic idea opening up the pool for creation in a world prime for it. Additionally since fallout 3 is canon and will be for all future games since black isles stupid doesn't exist anymore I look forward to fallout 4 once I finish fallout 3... which is huge, bigger than any other fallout game... My opinion on fallout has been stated...

They did stick true to the look of the original armor, but importantly I want the look, the dirty grimy retro look of the armor to meet the futuristic space marine knightly armor of a grey knight. I think field repairs, a few gauges here and there along with plenty of wiring, electrical bypasses, rivits, and other such modifications will give the knights a dirtier look that I want. more muted. The base and the golds of their engravings on their armor will bring the figure back to life with a little color against the darkened blue-silver ceramite.

Interestingly a simple conversion for a plasma pistol that involves the old tesla looking stuff that came with the smurfs vs tyranids starter set would work great on a modified plasma pistol.

For those who don't know fallout power armor looked like this in several facets:

http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/fallout3-200-mar25.jpg

http://www.fallout3.phx.pl/obrazki/render/ft_power%20armor03.jpg

http://static.bethsoft.com/blog/medium_2543518533_70b9211dee_o.jpg

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images//f/f9/Fallout3tesla.jpg

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images//5/56/Fallout_3_Inferior_Power_Armor.jpg

Interestingly even without maintenance the power armor of a marine would run for centuries on its mini reactor, much like the power armor from fallout.

I had to comment on this. Please include the stuff from Fallout Tactics?

There is a Dark Angels powerfist that would look perfect for a Brotherhood squad.

I'm currently making an army based on the Enclave ;)

It's going to basically be a deathwatch style army (i.e. everyone is from a different chapter) with the Emperor leading (I have a good fluff reason) and an Apache helicopter to be the vertibird (probably a predator..)

So yeah, please make up a couple of marines :)

Except that verti-birds belong to the enclave, even though the chosen one has brought the Brotherhood the technical schematics.

Vehicles really aren't that common in Fallout, though there are a number of them in Tactics.

So I think that the Humvee or Dune Buggy would be more suited to being the speeder.

Probably the Humvee, which leaves the buddy as the attack bike.

Rhino and Predator are already covered by the APC and tank.

There is a Dark Angels powerfist that would look perfect for a Brotherhood squad.

I think that it'd be both too large and it doesn't look like the power fists in Fallout.

I am curious on peoples opinions on taking the Grey knights and converting them to look more rustic in their power-armor, more cables, perhaps replacing some back-packs with servo back-packs. Just a curious thought...

Also, there are pretty much 0 psykers in Fallout, so I don't think that using the Grey Knights rules would be appropiate.

Either SMurfs or SoB would fit, depending on how zealous you want them to be.

The T-51B increases the users strength by +2 (with human stats ranging from 1-10 with 5 being average), while the T-62 (I think) increased it by +3. So I'm not sure if that'd be enough to warrant a marine's S4.

Vehicles in the western hemisphere were not common, but vertiberds were owned by the enclave, and just like power-armor, just because you know how to build it does not mean you have the supplies nor the manufacturing capability. Secondly notice how the enclave has a hell of alot more troopers and birds than they used to? They have gone through a reconstruction in the 50 or so years since their old president died and such. Additionally they have migrated, notice that the birds are coming from somewhere? Probably outside the capital wasteland.

As for the vertibird comments it was simply in regards to something he would use with the enclave if he used marine rules. Overall its a look idea, not a actual conversion to represent. I want to take the retro theme and look from fallout to my marines.

Vehicles in the western hemisphere were not common, but vertiberds were owned by the enclave, and just like power-armor, just because you know how to build it does not mean you have the supplies nor the manufacturing capability. Secondly notice how the enclave has a hell of alot more troopers and birds than they used to? They have gone through a reconstruction in the 50 or so years since their old president died and such. Additionally they have migrated, notice that the birds are coming from somewhere? Probably outside the capital wasteland.

As for the vertibird comments it was simply in regards to something he would use with the enclave if he used marine rules. Overall its a look idea, not a actual conversion to represent. I want to take the retro theme and look from fallout to my marines.

Oddly enough why would you use gas in your fallout 2 car when soldiers were walking around with miniature nuclear reactors on their backs in power armor? The car would be nuclearized before any piece of armor, so there are some inconsistencies even in the original 2 games.

The Fallout 2 car used micro fusion cells...

Not gas...

And the death of the president and the destruction of their main base was pretty much a coup de grace from what I understood of Fallout 2. A snake without a head.

Okay, for clarity purposes:

I know that the powerfist doesn't scream Fallout, but the symbol on the back would be a good one to show that it's from the Brotherhood, so maybe you could make an exception.

The vehicles are either run off of three power sources: Micro fusion cells, Fusion batteries, or Small energy cells (the first and last powered the Highwayman, Hummer, Scouter, and Raider. The second powered most of the larger vehicles in Fallout Tactics like the APC and the tank.)

I haven't got to play Fallout 3 at all, but given that it's so radically different from the originals, and it wasn't Van Buren (the original Fallout 3, being made by the same people that made Fallout 1) I can only imagine that things went retarded..

I'm not going to make the Apache into a vertibird, because the vertibird is going to be a rhino equivolent, not a gunship. Even in Fallout 2 they were only used as recon and transports. I will eventually make a vertibird or something like that, but for now, I have a drastically oversized predator with wings.

A few little suggestions for the Brotherhood though;

Cadian body, Cadian vehicle head with goggles, Catcachan legs, and Cadian arms (change out the lazgun for whatever you prefer) = leather armour/combat armour

Scout biker body, Tau stealthsuit legs, scout sniper rifle arms, forgeworld cadian rebreather head, kroot shouderpads = Fallout 3 power armour

Have a look here also:

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_cat.php?cat_id=45

The leather, and lighter armoured guys can work for scouts, guardsmen. Aso have a look at stalker, very nice armour, the very best armoured guys, they'll make nice homade terminator armour, or converting that crappy 4+ armour into power armour equivalent.

None the less why would a car use microfusion cells when the power suits themselves run on a mini-nuclear reactor capable of hundred+ years of use?

As for the enclave base, the oil rig was far from their actual base. Their actual base containing many vertibirds and a majority of their troopers was located on land. Heres a question, why would vertibirds that use gasoline (which was said to be dwindling) be used instead of jury-rigging nuclear power to it? Or even microfusion cells in the case of the care... There are many examples. Secondly while the games were set on the west cost, fallout 3 covers the east cost. Many "fanatics" of the fallout series call fallout 3 out but fact of the matter is there is an entire other section of united states where a good chunk of military bases are located. A concentrated effort by the expansion of the enclave, which might have been triggered by the destruction of their current leadership, could lead to raiding of technology and military bases as they advanced eastward or to other military bases outside the US. Additionally during the course of the game you only ever see 1-4 vertibirds at a time. It is assumed that they return to their base unless destroyed, even then...

As for who produced it... Yeah of course its going to be different, and some parts of the game changed, but they mostly stayed true to the first two games while adding some change because they are a different maker. I feel they did well and so do many people, the die-hard fanatics that want BlackIsles to come back from the dead are loco... Blame someone? blame the owner of the studio, not the guys who made a great game to an otherwise dead series... something that shouldn't of happened. They did a good job.

Now that said, A majority of the brotherhood did serve as non-power armored troops, the old storm-troopers retains their techy look without the look of simple IG.

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/images/vault/diaries/1.11.08-bossupersledge_s.jpg

The above is an image of recon armor from the concept art of the latest game, which I do hold canon. Notice the tech look at the hood. I have a good 2 teams of the older IG stormtroopers, the ones with a techy look.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1251744_99110105230_StormTrooperssqd1main_873x627.jpg

I think with the addition of a few little bits here (guitar wire additions) and there to customize them, perhaps some robes like the scribes these troopers would do a wonderful job of keeping the feel. Modeling chain, extra cloth, guitar strings for tubing and wires, drilling out the eyes of some marines and putting in metal rods for prosthetic eyes and such taken from daemonworld tech.

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/images/art/fallout3concept/concept11B.jpg

Simple robed modifications and tech-priests would make an awesome conversion and can easily serve as sages in the inquisitor retinue. (funny enough the little pilot from the old starter box can have it's little lunch box thing turned into the fallout lunchbox-mine. Might make for a nifty little conversion)

I think this is an interesting think tank for thoughts... I believe fallout 3 to be mostly canon, both in look, feel, build, and fluff, and much like warhammer (fantasy, 40k) or warcraft, both fine worlds full of fluff, sometimes you have hick-ups. That said its not easy to produce a quality game, let alone one that was continued from years ago and revived from the dead. I plan to take fallout 3's look, feel, and concept art (I have the concept art book which is chock full of pictures, so many ideas!) to use in the creation and conversion of this army. Furthermore many players are taking the time to convert and change the fallout universe through use of the modding kit (GECK ... hurhur) provided with the game. Interestingly this provides some interesting ability in regards to ideas, simple manipulation of skins and models could lead to some excellent changes and ideas for the game, something the original fallout's did not have.

Additionally a few more images...

Power Armor:

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/images/art/fallout3screens/screen33B.jpg

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/images/art/opanc/screen01B.jpg

Servitor Ideas:

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/images/art/fallout3screens/screen42B.jpg

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/images/art/fallout3screens/screen36B.jpg

Some interesting ideas here, using the thunderfire cannon, or sentinals would make great conversions for servitors. Space marine exhaust engines could easily be used to create the sensors on the second servitor, robotic in nature, pieced together. I could use parts from tech-priest backpacks for the arms and some type of gun for the engine... Really opens up the pool. Perhaps utilizing something like this would make for an interesting conversion towards the look of the second one:

http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/file/view/sentinel.jpg

Some heavy conversion to eliminate the look of the warmachine model while changing it to represent its dreadnought-like or servitor change while retaining the knightly look on the head.

Vehicle Art:

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/images/art/opanc/screen02B.jpg

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/images/art/fallout3screens/screen40B.jpg

If your interested, I could post a couple of pictures tomorrow of my Enclave army, but I should point out that it's more the theme than the style.. As in, they still look like space marines, and I didn't try to make them look like the in-game version Enclave. Though, the apache helicopter does come close enough to the vertibird overall that hopefully nobody will gripe that it isn't the same.. I'm going to eventually make a proper vertibird for use as a rhino, but the apache is going to just be a predator or something..

It's just a shame that my hq section of the Enclave army is mostly in the mail still.. I only have most of the Emperor done, and an armless bodyguard :HQ:

Many "fanatics" of the fallout series call fallout 3 out but fact of the matter is there is an entire other section of united states where a good chunk of military bases are located.

Which still isn't an excuse to considder Fallout 3 a proper fallout game.

F³ is about as good as Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. Two games that are almsot universaly shunned by fallout fans.

Bethesda also messed up the laws of physics with that mini nuke launcher of theirs.

At least Interplay/Black Isle tried to keep things realistic enough.

And F³ doesn't really have that 50s feel to it like F1&2 did.

Furthermore many players are taking the time to convert and change the fallout universe through use of the modding kit (GECK ... hurhur) provided with the game.

Yes, maybe someone can finaly make a *real* fallout game from it.

I believe fallout 3 to be mostly canon, both in look, feel, build, and fluff, and much like warhammer (fantasy, 40k) or warcraft, both fine worlds full of fluff, sometimes you have hick-ups.

With F³ being one big hickup.

Oh, and I think that the Reavers would be an excellent "counts as" SoB army.

Yes they would. But, I disagree on the reason why most people dislike F3. I think the real reason is pretty obvious..

.. They screwed with Harold. You do not screw with Harold.

I have a full rant for that one, but I'll just leave it as that for the moment.

Other ideas: Predator without sponsons for the tank from fallout tactics, rhino for the apc, hummer for the land speeder, and scouter for the attack bike

Many "fanatics" of the fallout series call fallout 3 out but fact of the matter is there is an entire other section of united states where a good chunk of military bases are located.

Which still isn't an excuse to considder Fallout 3 a proper fallout game.

F³ is about as good as Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. Two games that are almsot universaly shunned by fallout fans.

Bethesda also messed up the laws of physics with that mini nuke launcher of theirs.

At least Interplay/Black Isle tried to keep things realistic enough.

And F³ doesn't really have that 50s feel to it like F1&2 did.

Furthermore many players are taking the time to convert and change the fallout universe through use of the modding kit (GECK ... hurhur) provided with the game.

Yes, maybe someone can finaly make a *real* fallout game from it.

I believe fallout 3 to be mostly canon, both in look, feel, build, and fluff, and much like warhammer (fantasy, 40k) or warcraft, both fine worlds full of fluff, sometimes you have hick-ups.

With F³ being one big hickup.

Oh, and I think that the Reavers would be an excellent "counts as" SoB army.

First off, wrong, brotherhood of steel was crap. This is agreed, so was tactics, totally destroying fluff in many ways. That said you are talking about the laws of physics... have you noticed any oversized animals walking around nuclear blast areas in the real world? I haven't... Real world arguements do not work, period. Secondly judging as nuclear reactions are based on the amount of nuclear material found it would make sense that a small nuclear device with a very effective (after all it was created after the war, and had about 150 years (200 is the setting of the game)) detonator can come into existance simply by sheer use. Not to mention its a novel idea and one that is purely funny. Want to talk about realistic, what about the alien weapons from fallout? or the star trek cafe? or the bridge from monty python? Atleast in fallout 3 you can take affects from radiation... because you know, the worst problem with radiation was the side effects of the over sized creatures that tried to kill you. Not to mention the combat where I could kill anyone with a pistol by shooting them in the eye no matter the area or monster type. They did a good job, period.

Sorry but that's a poor arguement, additionally many fallout fans that aren't totally fanatic understand that its a different game, by a different producer that did a good job, stuck mostly true to the canon, which they didn't have to... they own it, and it sold more than both fallout 1 and 2 combined within the first week, period. Notice something here? They revived a dead game, if you don't like it then complain about it elsewhere. That is neither the point of this thread nor the point of the game. I enjoyed it, many die hard fallout fans enjoyed it, me included, game reviews gave it top scores, and although there are some small hickups the game was mostly canon. Just because its not fallout 1/2 V3.0 does not make it a bad game or an abomination. Brotherhood of steel on the otherhand was a terrible game with terrible lore produced with just the name.

50's feel? Did you not notice the retro cars walking around? The giant robot in the underground? The chinese invasion? How about any of the art in the game? the original pip boy jokes? the juke boxes? If you missed the 50's then I want to know what you saw in fallout 1 and 2 because while there were retro elements it wasn't like anything I played in fallout 3 where I literally got to enter "The matrix" of fallout 3 in a fifties retro world of perfection. Sorry but you expect perfection from a game that did the best it possibly could. Don't like it? get to modifying it with the GECK. Change a few texts, alter a few things and there you go.

Reviews:

Fallout 2 received generally positive reviews from critics. Online review aggregator Metacritic gave it a score of 86 out of 100 based on fifteen reviews.[6] Positive reviewers praised the gameplay, storyline, and worthiness as a successor to the original Fallout, while detractors criticized frequent bugs and lack of improvement over the first game. Daniel Morris of GamePro gave it five out of five stars, praising the mix of action and character interaction as well as the non-linear gameplay.[7] Commenting on the lack of change from the original, IGN applauded the developers for "not fixing something that wasn't broken," and praised the sizable game world and the writing.[8] Chris Harding of Adrenaline Vault, on the other hand, found it distracting that problems in the original were not addressed in the sequel.[9]

In a review from 1UP.com, Fallout 3 was praised for its open-ended gameplay and flexible character-leveling system. Its memorable setting prompted a favorable comparison to the 2007 game BioShock. While the V.A.T.S. system was called "fun", enemy encounters were said to suffer from a lack of precision in real-time combat and little variety in enemy types. The review concluded that despite the game's shortcomings, Fallout 3 is a "hugely ambitious game that doesn't come around very often," and one would "be a fool not to play it and enjoy the hell out of it."[12]

MyPS3 and IGN criticized the bugs in regards to the physics, crashes, and some that broke quests and prevented progression,[75] the latter of which are fixable by reloading from an earlier state.[61] Other reviewers noted the lack of RPG depth in Fallout 3, compared to the earlier games in the series.[76] The AI and stiff character animations are another common point of criticism.[77][78][79] It has also been noted that the PC version is "the most fully featured, best looking, and best running version of Fallout 3,"[80] [61][79]

Sales for Fallout 3 have thus far been very high, and figures suggest that the game has outsold all previous Fallout games (including spin-offs) in its first week.

Notice, many of the problems come simply out of the fact that you are changing genre from over the top to 3d world. The game probably could have used more polish but as with past beth games it was kinda expected. AI? AI in the original game led to some rather stupid problems as well, but then again the AI in previous games never ambushed you, or set up explosive traps on the floor, or shot at you from an elevated position, or circled you, or many more things. I played through on PC and noticed no broken quests, the one time that my friend dogmeat disappeared on me after tellin him to go to the vault I corrected with console commands. Probably my only comment against the game is the ending killing the character (not a bad thing) and not allowing for further questing. I plan to hold off the main quest till I finish exploring the world that is 3 times as large while 5 times smaller than fallout 2's map. They made it more realistic instead of large distances of travel with very few things to explore, the reason? the interface made it take forever to explore in fallout 2, that has been streamlined in fallout 3 by the simple fact that's its using a 3D landscape. Past setting? Entire northwest. Current setting, DC. Come on... They have so much more to build and explore upon...

None the less, this is not a thread for arguing fallout 3 if you don't like it, take the game and throw it out, many players enjoyed it, including me, and I know plenty about fallout 1, 2, tactics (ehhh) and 3. I also know about van-buren which was to be a prequel to 1 and 2. The main character was a fraking prisoner in a prison. Now if you are about done with the lame arguements over fallout 3 canon please stick to the purpose of the thread, constructive criticism is fine but insulting a game that did much better than its predecessors both in canon and overall feel and explorability after being an extinct game for almost 10 years now (fallout 2 came out on PC in 1999) we can do something constructive with our time.

As for harold, makes sense to me... IF you have a tree growing in your head and your not a ghoul but a type of mutant (fluff from fallout 2 directs him to being a different form of mutant) eventually that plant will grow into something bigger. I'll be honest though... I miss my robot dog, dogmeat was cool and a total throw-back to fallout 1 and 2, it's just not as cool as the robot doggy.

Archived