New to the Wolves

Flood NZ

Hello my first post here at B&C although I am a long time reader. Some of the forum resources here are absolutely brilliant and I have really enjoyed the stuff post in this sub forum in particular. I already have 2 armies Dark Eldar and Orks. Those two I find I love loads but I am ready to venture into the land of power armour. I am still a little confused about what I should collect torn between Blood Angels (for their choppiness), Ravenwing (pure speed), Black Templars (mainly cost because so much is plastic) and Space Wolves (great theme, good plastics and choppiness). I know SW are due for a new codex soon but I have some money now and there are lots of specials on at the moment so I think collecting now would be good. With that in mind this is what I bought the following already from a friend for $60 NZ a few months ago.

Space Wolves Ven Dread with metal missile launcher instead of a CCW

A Wolf Priest

A Wolf Guard Terminator

All of which are either new in blister or stripped. Also in my bits box I have a CSM Rhino on sprue.

My concept goes like this:

HQ

Rune Priest Terminator

5 Wolf Guard Terminator w/assault cannon

Wolf Priest

5 Wolf Guard in Power Armour mounted in Rhino

ELITES

Dread

Wolf Guard for retinues and so on.

TROOPS

Grey Hunters mounted in Razorback

Blood Claws in Rhino

FAST ATTACK

3 Bikes

Attack Bike

HEAVY SUPPORT

Long Fangs Squad

To build that I'm going to buy the battleforce, a box of blood claws, devastator box, attack bike, 2 razorbacks, 4 WG terminators gathering dust at several stores I know (at $22 NZ each it seems much better than buying a box of terminators for $75 plus god knows how much for the Forgeworld upgrades) and a Runepriest from GW.

My questions are does this look like an allright build? I really like Razorbacks and I think this build uses a fair number of the parts I can get in the battleforce box and the additions to that arent too expensive. I'm not aiming to win GT's just build an army for their fun value.

Now I have some additional questions. I am thinking of converting the Wolf Guard in power armour simply because although I really like the metal guys I cant really get a guarantee that if I order them from an online store I won't get 5 of the same guys. So what I am thinking of doing is buying either the commander box and combining that with a box of grey hunters/blood claws or buying the command squad box and adapting it from that. I really like the Space Marine veterans box but its metal (which I find a chore to convert) and there are a lot of robes and stuff in there not sure how that fits into the SW iconography.

Love to hear some feed back from you vets especially on the last bit I posted.

Welcome.

The smaller squads you outline are intriguing to me. I've noticed a great deal of overkill in my 9-10 man squads. I'd be interested in finding out if you are able to keep these squads intact through the battle or if you find their numbers to be insufficient.

I'm also interested in your choice of a Rune Priest in TDA. Rune Priests are of limited effectivness under the current rules. I'd likely field either a WP or WGBL in TDA.

Modeling Notes:

If you have the money, the new terminators combined with the Forge World stuff cannot be beat. Really spectacular.

With regard to the metal Wolf Guard in Power Armor models, I encourage you to search ebay. I found them all at reasonable prices not 1 min ago. If you're converting the metal veteran models from the Space Marine line, not that the robes, loin cloths, etc can easily be converted to wolf pelts with a little scored putty or GS. Capes can be easily done in this manner too.

Good Luck.

Hello my first post here at B&C although I am a long time reader. Some of the forum resources here are absolutely brilliant and I have really enjoyed the stuff post in this sub forum in particular. I already have 2 armies Dark Eldar and Orks. Those two I find I love loads but I am ready to venture into the land of power armour. I am still a little confused about what I should collect torn between Blood Angels (for their choppiness), Ravenwing (pure speed), Black Templars (mainly cost because so much is plastic) and Space Wolves (great theme, good plastics and choppiness). I know SW are due for a new codex soon but I have some money now and there are lots of specials on at the moment so I think collecting now would be good. With that in mind this is what I bought the following already from a friend for $60 NZ a few months ago.

Welcome to the Fang!

HQ

Rune Priest Terminator

5 Wolf Guard Terminator w/assault cannon

Avoid Rune Priests. SM Librarians rock.. SW Rune Priests do not. A Wolf Priest is much better. Or a WGBL.

Also, our Wolf Guard heavy weapons are 1 in 3, so you have those other wolf guards to kit out. I would suggest buying a box of shooty and assaulty terminators and then to mix and match, unless you can find some of the old metal ones for sale.

Wolf Priest

5 Wolf Guard in Power Armour mounted in Rhino

Thats two wolf guard retinues, which is going to get very expensive. A Wolf Priest usually works better with the Blood Claws (a big pack though, 11-15) and some Healing Potions and Balms.

ELITES

Dread

Wolf Guard for retinues and so on.

Use a Ven Dread as an HQ, and buy scouts.

TROOPS

Blood Claws in Rhino

My personal experience is that GH need to be full size (10) to get the most out of them.

FAST ATTACK

3 Bikes

Attack Bike

If your bringing bikes, a good rule of thumb is minimum 5. You get 2 power fists, so that insures you will actually get them across the table. I usually bring 7-8 myself.

Attack bikes are also of limited use, IMHO. I have not played much with them though, so I am hoping to try them out more soon.

HEAVY SUPPORT

Long Fangs Squad

Horrible point sink. Not worth it at all. Spend that money on a vindicator, whirlwind, or Land Raider Crusader.

To build that I'm going to buy the battleforce, a box of blood claws, devastator box, attack bike, 2 razorbacks, 4 WG terminators gathering dust at several stores I know (at $22 NZ each it seems much better than buying a box of terminators for $75 plus god knows how much for the Forgeworld upgrades) and a Runepriest from GW.

Dont get the devastator box for Long Fangs, either get the old LF box, or dont bother. I think Rhinos or Drop Pods will serve you better than Razorbacks. The terminators are always a good buy. Forgeworld upgrades cost me about $50 USD. Avoid the Rune Priest.

My questions are does this look like an allright build? I really like Razorbacks and I think this build uses a fair number of the parts I can get in the battleforce box and the additions to that arent too expensive. I'm not aiming to win GT's just build an army for their fun value.

If you like Razorbacks, buy one.. but Rhino's are where its at. You get one in the SW Battleforce, maybe buy a drop pod instead of one of the razorbacks?

Now I have some additional questions. I am thinking of converting the Wolf Guard in power armour simply because although I really like the metal guys I cant really get a guarantee that if I order them from an online store I won't get 5 of the same guys. So what I am thinking of doing is buying either the commander box and combining that with a box of grey hunters/blood claws or buying the command squad box and adapting it from that. I really like the Space Marine veterans box but its metal (which I find a chore to convert) and there are a lot of robes and stuff in there not sure how that fits into the SW iconography.

Love to hear some feed back from you vets especially on the last bit I posted.

Hmm... I would say buy the SW models and hope for the best, honestly. Converting other models to space wolves can be a real pain.

You might also ask around, see if folks have left over wolfy bits. I have some extra parts I will never use that I dont mind letting go for fairly cheap.

Hope that helps.

Avoid Rune Priests. SM Librarians rock.. SW Rune Priests do not.

Pffff :P Since when i do not rock?!!

@Flood NZ: Welcome to the Fang, Whelp. Take an ale and make yourself comportable.

One of the best things about SW are the multiple options you have for conversions.

For me the Razorback packs works well. I have four at all but in a 1500 points list i have normally 2 of them. One RB with TLAC and the other with TLLC.

I agree about the LF. They´re a point sink and if want them don´t by the old LF box. Buy the devastator box and convert them.

Rune Priests suck... :P Not NEARLY enough bang for the buck. I Hope they fix it in the next edition.

As for Long Fangs... you either buy the LF Box, and get left over wolf bitz to use, or you buy the devestator box and need wolf bitz. If your starting out, I suggest the LF Box. But, better yet.. I suggest you dont waste your money on either.

Oh, I forgot about the TLAC for razorbacks. They would make decent fire support, if you lacked other units.

Guess I need to add that to my list of models to buy...

Thanks for all the replies, keeping mind I have very few SW models at the moment this gives me a good idea on what to buy next, which will be the mandatory troops choices.

Another question, how does this community think of painting up SW in a different colour scheme so that the entire force looks like Ulirk the Slayer that is black armour and red. or would this be a cardinal sin?

The only thing thats ever annoyed me about space wolves was the bright eye eating yellow.... so I went with the Red of the Firewolves. Wich is to say that I absolutely love and admire your painting skills but my eyes always bleed afterwords.

You dont happen to be a follower of Hel eh?

Yeah I know what you mean, when they are all clumped together like that, its a bit overwhelming. With the over the top highlighting of white it makes the yellow stand out even more. I hope it will tone down just a bit once I get the decals on, but I like the affect it has when they are spread out on the battlefield.

What I don't like is the traditional SW Grey and since I strayed away from that, I figured I should at least use the traditional yellow.

WG Vrox.

I'm jealous about the grey, I was happy to get away from SW grey when I started painting shadow grey, but if I would have a chance to repaint all my SW models in 15 minutes I'd go with a grey grey rather than a dark blue grey.

What exactly is it in the rules that screws it up for runepriests? Is it that we won't get to strike first when charging under Stormcaller?

A little note about the yellow.... once you have it on there and all of the grey painted, try washing the model with some deneb mud or such, and then "weathering" the model some.

Makes them look battle damaged and also serves to mute the brightness of the yellow, without actually changing the color itself.

Actually, rather than watered down paint... I was recently introduced to painting ink. Any art supply store (real art supply, not wal-mart or hobby lobby or such). I can post the brand, but they make it in just about every primary color. Anyway, I have been using a brown ink for a wash for my historical miniatures with great effect.

Paint thins out the more water you put in it, meaning the pigment also thins. Some inks are just a medium for paint (you can tell by looking at them while they have been sitting, the pigment will go to the bottom, producing a layer of thick material and a water-like layer above it). Quality ink will hold the color without thinning out, even if you water it down a bit more.

Works great.

Actually, rather than watered down paint... I was recently introduced to painting ink. Any art supply store (real art supply, not wal-mart or hobby lobby or such). I can post the brand, but they make it in just about every primary color. Anyway, I have been using a brown ink for a wash for my historical miniatures with great effect.

Paint thins out the more water you put in it, meaning the pigment also thins. Some inks are just a medium for paint (you can tell by looking at them while they have been sitting, the pigment will go to the bottom, producing a layer of thick material and a water-like layer above it). Quality ink will hold the color without thinning out, even if you water it down a bit more.

Works great.

Thats actually the same thing I was refering to. Deneb Mud is one of the new Citadel washes... they are not thinned paints... they are made more loosely, more liquid, but still balanced with pigment.

I really like that look, my guys are my first attempt at painting and I have been trying to decide if I want to go with the "start of the battle look" or the "weathered battle damage look" After looking at those I think I will do something in between.

What I am surprised about is he went with the "toy soldier" pose for them all, So much room for modeling individuality into each pose with the true grit rule and all which makes for a very striking model in the end. Not that those arn't striking in their own right, but when you have that kinda skill why not go all the way.

Thanks for the info and advise.

WG Vrox.

Archived