The History and Legacy of Dorn's Betrayal

Aurelius Rex

Why not make the Silver Skulls a fallen chapter? We still need renegade chapters out there! :)

Here some more ideas, do with them what you like!

Flesh Eaters:

The Flesh Eaters are one of the various warbands that have separated themselves from their original Legion, the Blood Angels. As their name suggests, they eat the flesh of their enemies. It is speculated that the Flesh Eaters do this to restore their decaying bodies and souls.

Violators:

The Violators are one of the many Chapters/Companies of the Emperor's Children. Following the Legion's belief in aspiring perfection, the Violators have viewed themselves as superior to humans in every way possible. In order to maintain this perception, they refuse to show their unarmored bodies/facies to any outside of the Legion.

Sons of Ulthunas:

The Sons of Ulthunas are a company of the Emperor's Children who have been granted this new title in honor of their commander Ulthunas.Ulthunas led his company and other Imperial forces in the so called Ganymethian Crusade in which they have conquered many new worlds for the Imperium.

I thought it would be more interesting if the alternate version of the silver skulls, which always struck me as a very superstitious chapter, was very logical and dismissive of fables and myths. Also, I think that there should be some kind of logic behind the names. Thats why I came up with the idea about using Damnos and the Necrons.

Flesh Eaters and Sons of Ulthunas look good. I had to look them up, but that totally makes sense. Kudos to you Malika for excellent use of a small detail and expanding it. :wallbash:

The one thing I am not sure on is the violators. The name needs some explanation, so what is it they are violating? Did they break some oath or tradition regarding teachings on the EC's perfection?

@Coryphaus: as a fan of the Soul drinker novels, I think you have got a good starting point. Its not bad at all, so don't sell yourself short. Like Kelbor said, you nailed it.

got a new one for the list

Disciples of Caliban

regular version: Chapter created by request of the Dark Angels Chapter master to hunt fallen

The Disciples of Caliban appeared suddenly within the borders of Ultramar Segmentum many millennium ago, claiming to be outcasts seeking asylum. The leader of the Disciples professed that he and his warriors were refugees and fugitives from their own legion and that they had been deceived by Dorn into betraying the Imperium just as the Ultramarines had. The Destruction of their homeworld had driven the majority mad with grief and only the disciples had managed to retain their sanity. After extensive testing, which revealed a lack of mutation or sorcerous taint, The Disciples were named a protectorate militia within the boundaries of Ultramar. While not given the full rights or prestige of an actual Ultramarine successor chapter, such as a homeworld, the disciples seemed content to function as a fleet based chapter and quickly gained the respect of their new peers for their skill in tracking down seditious elements and remnants of the Alpha legion still operating within Ultramar. Indeed, both sides profited from this arrangement, as the Disciples enjoyed the full protection and bounty of Ultramar Segmentum and the Ultramarines gained a valuable propaganda tool. Little did they know the true intentions of their new guests.

In reality, the Disciples were assembled by Luther himself for the express purpose of penetrating ultramar's vaunted defenses and locating any of the Unforgiven that might appear within. To aid in their hunt, a few chapter masters of the Ultramarine have been told a heavily edited version of events that casts the unforgiven as dangerous lunatics in need of "enlightenment" in regard to the true events of the Heresy. Today, the Disciples of Caliban act as sleeper agents, able to move freely across Ultramar while ostensibly searching for imperial spies. Luther has taken great pains to ensure that the Disciple's cover is not blown, even sacrificing other Dark Angels to maintain this deception. A few close to Luther suspect he has an undisclosed but important mission for the Disciples. Possibly the recovery of an Unforgiven more valuable than all the others combined.

i've got one too.

Fire Hawks

A ultramarines chapter, the Fire Hawks and their home world Zhoros where all but destroyed by thermal bombs that were dropped on the planet by a small contignent of Black Legion. As the world burned, Stibor Laezaerek, the chapter master, begged for the Emperors forgiveness. In an instant the remaining warriors were pulled into the warp and found themselves in the presence of what appeared to be an angel. when the fire hawks heraldry was next flown, it was next to the forces of the Blood Angels as fellow followers of the plauge god Nurgle. The Fire Hawks are ussually seen as regular space marines but underneath their armour is mostly bone and dust.

what do you think?

Disciples of Caliban

Nice one. Only two questions:

1. Are the Disciples aware of being the agents of Luther? Cause if they do, they are no sleeper agents at all (I think it would be more fun if they would do what they do without knowing, beliveing the cover story is the truth).

2. Do they recruit from Ultramar Segmentum?

I like both of these last two articles (disciples and fire hawks) just a few questions/suggestions.

Culebras, that was a really cool story but I think adding the bit that Kelbor-Hal suggested about them being unwitting servants of Luther would be all the more awesome.

Modernangelnofdeath, again, really cool story but why are they called the Fire Hawks? If it's their old chapter name how do the Imperium know it? Perhaps Imperial spies found out or perhaps it had something to do with bombs, maybe when they were pulled into the warp they couldn't completely escape the flames and now their armour never stops burning.

Disciples of Caliban

Nice one. Only two questions:

1. Are the Disciples aware of being the agents of Luther? Cause if they do, they are no sleeper agents at all (I think it would be more fun if they would do what they do without knowing, beliveing the cover story is the truth).

2. Do they recruit from Ultramar Segmentum?

Good Question. Technically, a sleeper agent is merely an undercover operative that has not been assigned a mission yet and only has the duty of maintaining their cover. There are real world instances of sleeper agents who are aware that they are agents of a foreign power. However, in science fiction, we see many instances of sleeper agents who are hypnotized into carrying out mission without being aware of them.

As to whether they know or not, I didn't take that into consideration when coming up with the idea. I personally was alternating between having the Disciples be either an "active" chapter within ultramar or a historical incident whereby a number of Dark Angels infiltrated Ultramar and then revealed their true colors, making the Ultramarines deliberately doubt and be hostile to any subsequent unforgiven that ended up there. Obviously, I went with the active element, but I would agree; The idea of them believing their own cover story does tie in with the brainwashing they perpetuate on the Unforgiven and would be very cool and fun.

I honestly don't know if they would recruit from within Ultramar. Obviously, they would need to recruit to maintain the illusion of being an actual chapter, but I think that depends on whether they believe in their mission is true. If they don't then they might use the idea of "recruiting" to cover some other fiendish scheme. If they do believe, then yeah, I could see them recruiting from Ultramar, but obviously, they would have very limited options being what amounts to a second-class chapter.

I'd like to hear people's opinions on that. I'm not married to one idea or another so I'm very interested in what peoples thoughts are. The way I see it, they either.

1) are a Dark Angel Chapter completely, including the whole act of walking the spiral and using possessed marines, and only use the story to deceive the ultramarines while keeping the more unseemly elements hidden from view.

2) they honestly believe their own story and therefore don't use possessed or other warpcraft.

3) Some combination of the two. Perhaps one or two commanders or librarians at the top know the truth but the rest are unaware. they might even use demons, but call it "treatments" or something. Also, they might be provide info or captives to Luther and the main legion, but are unaware they are doing it.

I dunno, But I would love to hear more info.

Also, working on another chapter/company name. This time for the WorldEaters. Not sure if it should be Skulltakers or Skullbearers. Hopefully have it up soon.

Modernangelnofdeath, again, really cool story but why are they called the Fire Hawks? If it's their old chapter name how the Imperium know it? Perhaps Imperial spies found out or perhaps it had something to do with bombs, maybe when they were pulled into the warp they couldn't completely escape the flames and now their armour never stops burning.

sorry i forgot to add in the bit about them forever being known as (unofficially) the legion of the damned since then.

but the idea of the burning armour sounds cool to mayby thats where Veteran Sergeant Centurius comes in.

Technically, a sleeper agent is merely an undercover operative that has not been assigned a mission yet and only has the duty of maintaining their cover. There are real world instances of sleeper agents who are aware that they are agents of a foreign power. However, in science fiction, we see many instances of sleeper agents who are hypnotized into carrying out mission without being aware of them.

Point taken :)

3) Some combination of the two. Perhaps one or two commanders or librarians at the top know the truth but the rest are unaware. they might even use demons, but call it "treatments" or something. Also, they might be provide info or captives to Luther and the main legion, but are unaware they are doing it.

A little mixing would make sence. I'd prefer that the majority knows nothing of being an agent, and they are compeltly brainwashed, unwittingly doing the ditry work (naturally they must react to some kind of control words/patterns/acts, recogniseing the users as friends/superiors/allies). But that, in my opinion, denies them the extensive use of warp powers.

The recruitment should be limited. Maybe they could get a few percent of Ultra candidates (that would also present a nice opportunity for the insider commanders to smuggle these individuals to other Dark Angels chapters, reporting them unfit, dead, or replaceing them with some original DAs... /brainstorm alert ;) /).

The one thing I am not sure on is the violators. The name needs some explanation, so what is it they are violating? Did they break some oath or tradition regarding teachings on the EC's perfection?

Hmm, I was thinking about this one and I haven't been able to come up with anything that convincing (to myself). However, a bit of their original background stated they recruited heavily from the worst Imperial prisons. What if the Violators company is one that heavily recruits from prisoners? It might then also be a nod to the original Rogue Trader era space marines...

More Chapters:

Raptors:

The Raptors are an offshoot of the Raven Guard as Corax was losing his Legion. Like the rest of the Raven Guard, the Raptors are Tzeentch worshippers. Their mutations are somewhat reptilian in nature which explains why they have been designated as the "Raptors". For millennia the Raptors have been raiding Imperial outposts but in M41 they were hunted down by Imperial forces and the survivors were eventually forced to crash land on Jemadal. Under constant attack by the planet's flora and fauna but also by Imperial forces the Raptors's sorcerers led the warband to undergo dark rituals to survive. The Raptors were forever changed by the gifts granted to them by the Great Changer. Their skin and armor constantly changed color to adapt to whatever environment they are, making them a very dangerously effective camouflaged force. Because of this the Raptors managed to defeat the Imperial force chasing them. However, the Raptor had no means of escape; their sorcerers were forced to once again initiate dark rituals. Whispers in the Warp lured the Ultramarines' Battle Barge Rath's Honour to the planet. As the Ultramarines landed on the surface, the Raptors quickly infiltrated their landing craft. When the Ultramarines returned to orbit, they unknowingly had brought with them their doom. As the landing craft returned to their ship, the Raptors spread across the ship, killing all in their path. When they had finally taken over the ship, they entered the Warp...

I'm interested in seeing a story with regard to The Tyrant of Badab...........or now..........the saviour of Badab :)

Lufgt the Lionheart, The Saviour of Badab

The Badab sector is an Imperial sector to the galactic east of Holy Terra and close to area of warpspace known as the Maelstrom. Because of this it is garrisoned by a company of Space Marines from the Iron Warriors Legion and a large number of Imperial Guard. Despite the strong military presence, in 900.M41 a vicious civil war broke out that threatened to engulf the Badab sector and unleash the power of the Maelstrom.

The Badab War started when a cult of Nurgle was discovered on a planet in the sector. The Iron Warriors quashed it quickly and believed the matter finished. But they didn't know was that the civilians on the planet were not the only ones involved in the cult. A whole contingent of Imperial Guard had fallen to worship of Nurgle, enticed by the promises of the cult leader. The next time the Iron Warriors came to check on the planet they were met with hostility and resistance. The traitor guard had rallied the population against the Iron Warriors and accepted the blessings of Nurgle. When they made plantfall to deal with the traitors they warp creatures and mutated humans. Their victory that day was hard won, with many casualties on both sides, including the captain of the Iron Warriors but it was only the beginning.

It soon became apparent that the traitors had spread their beliefs to other planets as cults of Nurgle started emerging everywhere, even in the ranks of several regiments of Imperial Guard. But the cults was the least of the loyal forces concerns as plague ships of the Legion of the Damned were seen around the sector.

But even in this time of desperate despair, there was hope. This hope was in the form of Captain Lufgt Huron, the newly appointed leader of the Iron Warriors in the sector. A charismatic leader, Lufgt banded together the remaining loyalist forces on the sector and set about purging it of the taint of Chaos. The traitor Imperial Guard they came across they crushed mercilessly but the Legion of the Damned and the large number of warp creatures presented a much larger threat. The close vicinity of the Maelstrom did not help the problem as the tides of the warp spilled forth, helped by the presence if the cults.

After years of fighting and numerous setbacks, Lufgt Huron gathered the members of his chapter together for one last attempt to end the threat of the Legion of the Damned. The Legion had gathered on the world were the first cult if Nurgle had started, constructing a huge fortress and surrounding themselves with traitors. The Iron Warriors first wave consisted of marines equipped with jetpacks, tasked to study the defences before pulling out. Armed with thus knowledge the second wave, consisting of the main part of the marines present, attacked the fortress, penetrating the outer walls and pushing on into the inner fortress, where they met tough resistance in the form of the Legion of the Damned. With the Iron Warriors tied down, the third wave arrived. Lufgt Huron and his personal bodyguard teleported into the centre of the fray, cutting a path through the plague marines into the Inner Sanctum. As the rest of the Iron Warriors fought the remaining Legion of the Damned outside the throneroom, Lufgt and the leader of the Legion, a figure wreathed in flames, fought a titanic battle. Some hours later, after finally fighting off the Legion if the Damned, the Iron Warriors finally entered the throneroom to find their leader dying on the floor, critically wounded by a melta blast.

The Iron Warriors rushed back to their keep with the body of the leader. Upon arrival, they discovered that Lufgt still lived, however barely, and the companies apothecaries and techmarines immediately dropped their task to save him. Although one side of him had to completely reconstructed with bionics ,the Lionheart, as he was now called by his men, was still breathing and on the twelfth day he was able to stand and don his armor once again. Declaring he had been given a vision from the Emperor, Lufgt the Lionheart proclaimed the purging of this sector was not complete. Wielding his power axe and the mighty Lion's Claw Lufgt fought at the head of the Iron Warriors, inspiring his men to feats of glory. The cults of Nurgle were soon rooted out and any trait of chaos expunged from the system. Lufgt the Lionheart still watches vigil over the Maelstrom and the Badab sector, loved by his men and the population of the once beleaguered planets.

Any suggestions are welcome and wanted.

Hmm, I was thinking about this one and I haven't been able to come up with anything that convincing (to myself). However, a bit of their original background stated they recruited heavily from the worst Imperial prisons. What if the Violators company is one that heavily recruits from prisoners?

Good thinking. I'd say that would be pretty controversial from an EC company. That could earn the name Violators from the rest of the legion, especially combined with the ostentatiously high and mighty attitude. Which is why it should lead to an obvious character flaw to make the irony complete (maybe an extremly ruthless and uncaring attitude towards mortals and Imperial Guard troops, and the lack of grace in battle - these should be balanced though with a compelling efficiency and an impressive victory roll to let it slide).

I'd liek that more if he survided and was upgraded with IW bionics to allow him access to the cobifist weapon and power weapon he currentley uses. Would be awsome and Lufght the Lion Heart. Has a nice ring to it :mellow:

What he said.

And the story needs a little refinement, a little twist from the obvious. Mellow it for a while :P

I'd liek that more if he survided and was upgraded with IW bionics to allow him access to the cobifist weapon and power weapon he currentley uses. Would be awsome and Lufght the Lion Heart. Has a nice ring to it :)

What he said.

And the story needs a little refinement, a little twist from the obvious. Mellow it for a while :)

Done, he now lives. What do you mean a little twist from the obvious? Do you mean have some the Iron Warriors fall to Nurgle or something else?

Well how about due to his legendary skills he now commands a his own multi national space marine forces? after all in heresy form he commanded many other traitor legionaries, why not use him to create something along the lines of a new chapter? which contains elements of all the loyalists?

How about Huron and his Astral Claws are the lords of the Badab system when the system suddenly stop contact with the rest of the Imperium. Fearing a massive warpstorm noone was sent to investigate until more information was available. 150 years later the tithes and trade that had stopped coming from the system started to bankrupt other nearby planets and small systems that relied on the trade. A tithe fleet was dispatched but was lost without a trace. A second tithe fleet was launched along with ships from the AdMech and the Red Scorpions. When the fleet arrived they found that the whole Maelstrom frontier was in anarchy. A chaos fleet had attacked the system 150 years ago, and an Ultramar astartes strikeforce had ventured to the system shortly after when their spys learned that the system was out of contact and hoped that they could turn the Astral Claws. However, because of how close the system was to the Maelstrom only 40 years had passed.

The Astral Claws still held Badab Primaris even after 40 years of fighting, but the rest of the surrounding systems had fallen to chaos and Ultramarine chapters.

The tithe fleet managed to escape the battle and bring reinforcements, A Black Templar demi-crusade, the World Eaters, the Exorcists and the Word Bearers.

Then lots of war, chaos and ultramarines can be divided up by the Badab war list of chapters on Lexicanum.

Afterwards Huron was known as Huron the Lionheart, savior of Badab and recreated the battered Astral Claws 1st Company into the Mentors Legion and spread them throughout the galaxy once they had recovered sufficient numbers. The other chapter companies were split into seperate chapters throughout the systems and were known as the Maelstrom Warders. The Exorcists and the Inquisition set up a small base within the system and a large amount of stored geneseed was given to Huron to ensure that the new Maelstrom Warders chapters grew quickly.

BTW, I dont do DIY Chapters or writing fluff so this is jst an idea for anyone to use if they want.

P.S Thank you Aurelius Rex and everyone involved for this amazing creation.

Perrin your story isn't too bad but I've already including almost all the chapters (in a way) in the story. The Legion if the Damned are followers of Nurgle as well as the Fire Hawks. I didn't include the Lamenters (who are after all Blood Angels) because I thought two traitor warbands and tons of traitor Imperial Guard would be a little too much for the Iron Warriors to handle. Another is that there's no such thing as chapters in the Imperium anymore. I do like the idea of the Maelstrom Warders, perhaps I could combine that The Son of Dorn's idea and have it like the Cadian Gate.

Oh right yeh, I cant believe i didnt think of that B) No RB = No chapters, silly me.

Who should take Lokens place then? Maybe the 2nd Captain of the Fists, the one that was on Mars with Sigismund during Mechanicus?

Just wanted to pop in and mention something. Until the last official entries come out, I think we should shy away from anything involving the Salamanders, Night Lords, Deathguard, Black Templar/horus and the Imperial Fist Geneseeds.

Once we know more, I am sure there will be even more room for exploration.

On an unrelated not, hit a major snag With my plans for the Skull takers. According to Lexicanum, there are two chaos bands with that name. Who knew?

@Malikka

Beat to the punch on the Raptors. Oh well, your idea is better than what I had. I like how you took the name Raptor and reworked it towards a new direction. I'd suggest playing up the chamelon aspect alot. The idea of them being forced to change themselves to survive feels off to me. It might make more sense to say they just found themselves in this situation and naturally branched off to develop the ability to camouflage. The thing about the Ravenguard is that each chapter/warband is its own little mini-coven without any sort of common oversight.

@modernangelofdeath

I can see what you are trying to reach for here with the Fire Hawks, I just worry about straying too far from the source material. When I first started this idea, one of the chapters I focused on was the Lamenters, which Aurelius turned into an Ultramarine chapter. What I ended up doing with them sounds alot like what happened to the Fire Hawks. Both were ultramarine chapters that suffered some terrible tragedy and were "Tricked" into serving nurgle. I'm sure its coincidence, but I almost feel like we need to be careful with the Nurgle elements. In this universe, Nurgle has a real love/hate relationship with the Blood Angels and Aurlius even says that the plague god has avoided corrupting another legion for some reason. :(

The only way I felt comfortable with rewriting the Lamenters into the Blood Angels was by A) having their Gene Seed be replaced with Blood Angel gene seed, and ^_^ the individual responsible was a blood angel in disguise (I think it would be cool if it was a Chaos version of Corbulo but I left it ambiguous)

There are a couple of ways to change this. Perhaps, the fire Hawks were a sup group of emperor's children that were attacked during the Age of Apostasy instead of an ultramarine chapter targeted by the Black Legion. That way, the fire hawk name makes more sense because the EC use the Aquila. According to Lexicanum, the Zhoros was destroyed during the Age of Apostasy, so that still works.

Also, just because you the legion of the damned use bones and skulls does not automatically tie them to Nurgle. Just look at Normal universe thousand Sons. Dust inside empty armor. It could be that there was some kind of alternate curse or effect. Maybe the Fire Hawks dies cursing the emperor in rage or in their arrogance tried to incorporate lost tech into their armor without checking it and the resulting feedback destroyed their bodies but kept their souls intact?

@Coryphaus

I like the name. the Lionheart. excellent use of the recent interest in the Badab War. The only thing is I feel like, what with all thats come out of forge world on this topic, any mention of the astral claws needs to mention other chapters as well. The Mantis Warriors, the Lamenters, Executioners, Space Sharks. So many chapter names, so much left unwritten. They don't necessarily need to be on the same side. Just look at what Aurelius did with the Drop site massacre. I almost wonder if we should make a list of the chapters that fought in the Badab war and divy them out.

Also Bionic upgraded Huron sounds like an excellent idea ;)

Archived