Death Guard Tactica

DemetriiTZ

I played against one last week, It seemed to work very well and i should have gave it a bit more respect really because i originaly thought "its only a defiler i'll be fine!" 5 attacks, 6 on the charge i think is a serious problem. But next time around i play one i'll try dispatch it a bit earlier than i did. Finally destroying it with a plague champion with a powerfist.

Matt.

Almighty1, my chaos opponent had two defilers the other day. One of my daemon princes took care of one of them, two melta squads in rhinoes finished the other. I new I had to take them out early and before my marines jumped out of their buses, because of the big bad S8, AP3 plates. Since he had spreaded them out, I had to make two flanking manouvres at the same time. Very challenging for an army with low model count, as mine/ours.

vindicators are good. i personally ran a list with 3 and they have yet to lose.

anyway as for defilers, they are vicious. ok maybe demi not fear them,b ut i fear anything that ignored power armor and can wound me on a 2+ (denying my toughness and doing it to the whole squad) git ignores FNP as its double toughness (instant death) its something to be weary of. but !! there is hope. as if they take 2 defilers, as the situation above is indicating. that in itself is TWO heavy support choices. and in the case of me and demi we happen to have 2+ land raiders, if you dedicate a raider to each, you can garentee to immobolize or even destroy that thing with two twin linked shots. (48 inches should to it on any tourny sized board). so that will take care of those tanks. if they have a 3rd heavy thats fine, thats points spent from their table/army, less troops you have to deal with.

and if that is still not enough you should use cover as best you can and make sure you get the jump on that beast in a variety of ways, be id flying demon prince, melta guns, or any other ranged weapon of high str. you can fight it with a power fist but it inflicts needless casualties and gives away needless points before you get you chance to bat back.

dont worry too much tho, those things are pretty lightly armored.

they are just larger (easier to see there in by shoot) dreadnoughts.

if you arnt running 2 raiders, just dedicate an anti tank turret on that tank to keep it down be it oblit, vindicator (yes i use it as anti tank as well and it works), or predator or what ever you want. and if you so need it have a back up, a flying demon prince or a flying lord with combi melta or a variety of other tank popping techs come in to take it out. small terminator teams with combi meltas do the job too. (deep strike)

@ Almighty1: the rot princes should really be warptime princes they are so much better. And the amount of plasma you have is astounding and as you find in this tactica it isn't that great. You should change one of these squads to a melta squad and one to a flamer both with champions in my opinion.

Hope that helps ;)

Malatox, Disciple of Decay

- 2 flying 'rot' daemon princes

- 2 predators - 3 lascannon each

- 1 defiler - 2 extra claws

- 3 squads of 7 plague marines - 2 plasma guns - personal icons

- 5 lesser daemons

-make them warp time princes

-2 laz preds with all the fixens is about the same price as 3 stripped down ones with just the turret, which can all move and shoot.

but seeing as how you are taking a defiler, its really not that useful with the claws those things are wonderful for the gun.

-you need to drop the icons and the demons, what are 5 demons going to kill, ill tell yah nothing. they wont even hold anything off. not worth it and icons are expensive. get rhinos or transports.

okay how do i use vindicators, pretty easy i use them to respond to my enemy they are tank hunters if i need anti tank, and they break up large groups of troops if i need that. i just use them how ever they need to be used. i always play agressive with that list, always in your face and move and shoot as much as possible.

I was just going to sit the lesser daemons on an objective, there not out to kil anything really just to hold an objective for me, and they have never been shot down yet, they jus sit there n look innocent.

"-2 laz preds with all the fixens is about the same price as 3 stripped down ones with just the turret"

Would three just with a turret beat two with 3 lascannon apiece? Because just one weapon destroyed result would take off its only weapon and then its only useful for running people over and getting in the way, then again it is forcing your opponent to split fire further but which would be most useful? I could always drop the defiler and throw in some more plague marines?

Thanks for the help all.

What does everyone think of this for a 1500point army list

- 2 flying 'rot' daemon princes

- 2 predators - 3 lascannon each

- 1 defiler - 2 extra claws

- 3 squads of 7 plague marines - 2 plasma guns - personal icons

- 5 lesser daemons

As stated above, Rot isn't a very good power. Warptime is good, but even with no powers a Prince is an economical and effective choice.

Lascannon Predators are very inefficient for their points. But if you need mobile long-range firepower they are effective. Daemonic Posession may help keep them from being stunned. Better yet, use some Obliterators for flexible and hard-to-kill firepower. The daemons show that you aren't afraid to take models without the MoN.

The PM squads are solid, but if you gave at least one squad Meltaguns instead they could help with antitank and IC killing.

Lesser daemons are easy to kill when in small numbers. These points may be better used elsewhere to fill in gaps. Perhaps some Rhinos?

thats what im saying 5 demons, arnt even tough enough to sit on an objective a squad of marines can take them out with bolter fire. dont bother

use that to fill what is needed

yeah 3 preds with just turret split fire, 13 front armor. even if you get weapon destroyed you SHOULD be moving and shooting, and moving means you are getting into the best positions which equals cover. so those shots that are being split 3 ways are also being cut in half via cover.

no powers on a prince work fine T6 means hes gonna be ok

I don't play with daemons that much, but have had extremely mixed experiences with them. 20 guys can be really annoyng, but they can also die easily. In a game against Tau 10 daemons was soon reduced to five, no daemonic assault, but still they managed to wipe out a couple of suits and made a kroot unit fly away. Still I feel that the double land raider has given my army a completely new meaning. A new and much clearer strategy. And there is no longer room for daemons... unfortunately.

The 2 raiders/3 rhinoes/5 PM squads and 2 daemon princes can maybe feel a bit dull sometimes. So I guess I will make small changes from time to time. Maybe a vindicator, some termies or even oblits, although they are not very fluffy.

Have anyone tried out a raider (or two) for termies, to make room for more Heavy units? I guess the termies then have to start on the table, and can not deep strike. And the PM unit you plan to put in the raider then has to start on the table as well?

nah dude, start the PMs in their transports always, it keeps them out of fire and gets them into close range, which is where you want them.

yeah the new 5th edition death guard army is a little boring, but thats what we do best! boring!! its fluffy! =)

but hey it wins games so who cares =) squads of 7 are fluffy as well just putting that out there

just starting a nurgel army, been playing blood angels for the last 15yrs, and i run a dkok army aswell. But wanted to start a death guard army. Can we place army list for others to comment on or is there another post for death guard armys?

Vomitus, in 5th edition if you have a Land Raider as a dedicxated transport for some termies, the termies can deep strike, they don't have to deploy in their transport but another unit cannot begin the game embarked in their Land Raider, a unit can embark on the first turn but only the 'parent' unit can deploy embarked in their vehicle. Is that ok? - And please correct me if i am wrong!

a unit can embark on the first turn but only the 'parent' unit can deploy embarked in their vehicle. Is that ok? - And please correct me if i am wrong!

Thanks, Almighty1! That's what I thought. Must try it out :lol:

When speaking of PM tacticas on the specific races, like Eldar (which I am in desperate need for) and Nids, I hope the OP and other contributors here will enlighten us PM players further!

Keep this magnificent thread alive

Vomitus

Thanks for the Eldar tactica! Good reading. Difficult army to play against.

One of my regular Eldar opponents usually have two wraithlords and a farseer close by. If he joins in he gets T8. How would you deal with that? We simply have to use fists/daemon princes in CC, but taking a wound or two with lascannons or meltas off the wraithlords first is obviously important.

Two units of nine warp spiders deep striking, shooting S6, and jumping away in the assault face are not fun to face.

The problem in most games I play, is that my opponent is "Mr Eldar" himself. He is in no hurry and is usually baiting me, often with luck I must admit...

I feel though that with this compact army his army and style of play is beatable.

One of my finest moments against Eldar was when his two squads of Dire Avengers emptied their magazines twice two rounds a row (one round of no shooting in betweeen of course) - without taking a single wound off the Plague Marines. That was about 120 shots bouncing off the PM armour (or through...). A Falcon did the job though...

Keep it going!

V

If he joins in he gets T8

how does an IC join up with a MC that is not an HQ ?

Well, maybe I am being fooled? ;-)

Maybe I'm naive, but my friend, and he really is a good friend with good intentions, told me he could. Maybe we should look it up...

V

Archived