A Space Wolf army with an Ordo Malleus Inqusitor

Menathorn

Greetings Brothers,

I have for some time been thinking of teaming up my SW force with an Ordo Malleus Inqusitor. I found on really cool mini from FW ( http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/hrex314.htm ) which I thought of painting up and use as is in my army. Thing is, does it work with the fluff? Would the Space Wolfs be okey with a Ordo Malleus Inqusitor?

And if so, how would you kit him to go with the army? Something I should be thinking of?

All hail Russ!

Well an Ordo Malleus =][= is more concerned about deamons than if the puppies are cleaning their litter boxes properly... I don;t see them having a problem... although they will likely view the =][= as a necessary evil.

Well an Ordo Malleus =][= is more concerned about deamons than if the puppies are cleaning their litter boxes properly... I don;t see them having a problem... although they will likely view the =][= as a necessary evil.

I thought the litter boxes were a secret!!!! :o Who told you about them?!

:)

Really, it depends on how =][= the Inquisitor tries to be. If he thinks he can order us around, he gets to meet Decoy and his Wulfen. Otherwise, we'll tolerate them if we feel like it. By the way, that is an awesome mini, even from FW. :tu:

I think our rules prohibit it. We can not take allies.

Years ago I wanted to bring an assassin with my SW army and was unable to. They said the Inquisitor counted as your 'optional HQ' and we dont have any to use. All of our HQs are manditory, and (I think) all must be Space Wolves.

Yeah, we cant take assassins because you need an inquisitor first.... no one else can even take one without taking an inquisitor Lord.... we can only take normal style inquisitors..... but we can take them. I dont see a reason why not, though Im not sure I would. Not IMHO worth the points for another IC. If I have the place for such a creature Ill probly take a wulfen from a game/fun point of veiw.

That being said Space Wolves get along fine with the Ordo Malleus in all the fluff Ive seen. Theres the aforementioned fight with angron, not to mention were one of the Bulwark Chapters.... holding back the eye of terror et all helps you earn brownie points with the kill all demons faction.

Its in their codex.... Witchhunters and Daemon Hunters. Its nothing to do with our codex, as the allies system hadnt been thought of. The only problem we have with taking allies is that we cant take any non compulsory HQ choices, wich limits our slots to 1 elite, 2 troops, and 1 FA that could be taken if we so chose.

Should I take a unit of GK Terminators instead? Cost more but are a hell lot of more effective.

In the DH codex it states that all loyal Astartes can take members of Ordo Malleus. So, I think I could take an Inqusitor. Thing is that I wanted an Inqusitor Lord, I can use the Elite slots for a lot of fun.

Is an Inqusitor worth it?

Im not sure. Personally Id say if your taking an inquisitor it should be a psycker to make up for our rune priest. Thats the only reason Id take him.... throw him in artificer armor and open his mind to the emperors holy powers of wup=ass.

Menathorn.

If you take the Inquisitor and Retinue or Grey Knights you have to use them as an Elites, choice. Only SW HQ's can be used as HQ's in a SW list. If you intend taking this combination to a tournament you may want to contact the TO first and you shold take the time to write a storyline first, it helps with the comp scores.

I purchased some Assassins to use in my list at the end of 3rd ed but found that I could not use them in 4th ed, unless I took a full on allied list but the points make it just too expensive to do that. Guys I know that did take Assassins in 3rd ed say that they complimented the list and devastated opposition HQ's.

Fluff wise there is not love lost between the Inquisition and the SW's. but it is not like your using a Relictors list, then you would have problems.

Should I take a unit of GK Terminators instead? Cost more but are a hell lot of more effective.

In the DH codex it states that all loyal Astartes can take members of Ordo Malleus. So, I think I could take an Inqusitor. Thing is that I wanted an Inqusitor Lord, I can use the Elite slots for a lot of fun.

Is an Inqusitor worth it?

I don't remember seeing anything that says a SW HQ is the only thing that can be used in a SW army. I see where it says how many HQs we need for certain point levels but I didn't see that they must be SW HQ choices.

As long as a SW army has the required amount of HQs for the point level, why can't the HQ be from an allied army? (i.e. Inquistion)

Yeah I just looked at the whole part about Retinues at the top of pg 5 and nowhere does it say specifically that the HQs must be SWs. Specifically it always states "HQ unit" or the like....not "Space Wolf HQ unit" which I take to mean that as long as the model is an HQ choice (wether Space Wolf or an Allied force) it is a viable unit to take as the required HQ choice(s) for that specific amount of points.

For example, as long as there are 2 HQ units in a 1000pt game it doesn't matter wether those are a Wolf Lord and Rune Priest/Wolf Guard Battle Leader and Wolf Priest....or an Allied HQ choice and a Rune Priest....whatever floats your boat, it is viable.

Please correct me if I'm wrong though, I want to make sure I am following the rules here but as far as I'm reading it it just says HQ unit.

Personally I'd say it's not worth it. Our Elites spots are hotly contested anyway, what with Dreads, Wolf Guard and Scouts and we don't really have the points available for what is to be honest a sub par IC, especially as we have plenty of extremely good ones.

Unless you know your facing psykers or DS units, leave him at home. On the other hand, the models are full of character and painting one is a lot of fun.

Muzzy, the Allies rule states you cannot take compulsory choices from your allied forces so you see you cant take an allied HQ because EVERY HQ in SW force is a compulsory choice. Otherwise if we just had access to more HQ's sure, we could take inquisitor lords all day long after the first... but the rule states "no more and no less" wich certainly makes it sound required to me.

I think I get what you are saying....and I agree (although I wish I had the thing that talks about how Allies work and the rules that apply, cause I don't have it I think). It's like (and this is JUST an example) with Codex Space Marines....the first HQ would have to come from the Space Marine Codex (or rather at least one HQ would) but any other HQs a player decide to take can be taken from an Ally.

Space Wolves are required to take so many per the amount of points, so therefore they are complusory, which precludes taking an Allied HQ unit. Am I understanding that right?

Aye, this is indeed the case. As a result of this, one of the primary reasons for taking an =][= (A Lord, with a cheap Ld 10 Hood and Assassins) are rendered impossible and so it is a much less advantagous option for us.

Archived