Ravenguard

Brother Crassus

Hey all, I managed to post up a decent chunk of my force over at my blog. Feel free to take a peek and comment away

Pretty basic paint jobs, its an army meant to beat up and toss around on the table. I had speed in mind when painting it and couldnt be bothered to go to town. I intend to do another marine army to a higher standard while I use this one untill the nicer force is completed.

C&C as usual, feel free to shoot over any questions you may have.

http://bloodbathnbeyond.blogspot.com/

Big Marine fan, are we? Everything looks very nice. To be honest, I like your other marines better than the Ravenguard. That could be because I can't see much detailing on them, due to them being black. But otherwise. You're a very good painter. Keep going.

Well they're nicely painted and all but... whereare their RG markings? The right shoulder pad of each marine tells what unit type they are. Yellow for Devastators, Green for Tactical Marines, Red for Assault Marines and White for Veterans.

I also don't see any squad numbers and such, the painting is superb but for Raven Gard they are lacking a lot of well... Character.

Ah, I thought they changed the right shoulder's rim to designate company and not squad type. Looking at the 'eavy metal army, everyone had a red rim. Both the assault and tactical. After I saw that, I figured it was the indicator for company and opted for black. Partially because its easier and also because I felt one rim being painted a bright color may have been distracting to the eye.

I meants to put squads numbers under my list of things to do, but somehow in editing it landed after the recipe. My bad! I was waiting to designate squads untill I settled on which squad had what for gear.

Thank you for the compliments =)

Ah, I thought they changed the right shoulder's rim to designate company and not squad type. Looking at the 'eavy metal army, everyone had a red rim. Both the assault and tactical. After I saw that, I figured it was the indicator for company and opted for black. Partially because its easier and also because I felt one rim being painted a bright color may have been distracting to the eye.

Actually the Heavy Metal army shows Red and Orange trims of all things, if you look closely there is a difference in the color of the models shoulder trims.

Also honestly Heavy Metal sucks when it comes to accurately representing markings and paint schemes. They do what they think looks cool, not what's fluffy. Heavy metal commonly gets things wrong, even on the all important Ultramarines, there hasn't been any "conscious" change to the Raven Guard markings, it's just Eavy Metal being special ed.

Also contrastic colors aren't distracting, but catch the eye, your models are nicely painted but they could use more contrasting details, scroll work, campaign badges, markings etc.

I really like the models you've done Crassus. I'm extremely impressed by how the clean the Raven Guard look, your Space Wolves are also a fine example of the Sons of Fenris. Do you have another army planned soon or are your Raven Guard currently in the top spot?

The ravenguard were just something I whipped up in about a week so I can have an army to game with while I work on something better.. I'm probably going to end up doing either Imperial Fists, or possibly Raptors again. Once the "nice" army is ready to game, the Ravenguard will take a flying leap into ebay-land.

Thanks again all

I also try to do what I think "looks" cool. I would rather bend fluff than paint something I'm personally not totally satisfied with. I figure Marines are smart enough to know what type of squad a marine belongs to by the big ol' white arrow on the shoulder in additon to whatever wargear he is lugging around. I dont think an additional color would be necessary and instead a shoulder rim would designate company like most other codex chapters.

Edit: thoughts on the shoulder rim.

I also try to do what I think "looks" cool. I would rather bend fluff than paint something I'm personally not totally satisfied with. I figure Marines are smart enough to know what type of squad a marine belongs to by the big ol' white arrow on the shoulder in additon to whatever wargear he is lugging around. I dont think an additional color would be necessary and instead a shoulder rim would designate company like most other codex chapters.

Edit: thoughts on the shoulder rim.

It's nothing to do with smarts, it's a tradition the Raven Guard have maintained since the Great Crusade, since long before the Codex was implimented. But fair enough, to each his own.

I love them! Nice work. I think the freehand on the chapter badge is awesome!

As for the whole argument about the pad rims and teh colors? Look at the picture of the RG in the newest SM codex. all of them, tacticals and assault all have red pads.

Things change. Fluff is subject to change, too.

Great work. The libby is my favorite model, but my favorite thing you've done is how you've removed the legs from the chapter symbol in several instances. It's a huge improvement over the original.

I don't recognize the powerfist on "Dooder". Where is it from?

thank you, Dooder's fist is from the metal blood angel furioso dread. I like the fingers as they look a bit more "snippy"

I love them! Nice work. I think the freehand on the chapter badge is awesome!

As for the whole argument about the pad rims and teh colors? Look at the picture of the RG in the newest SM codex. all of them, tacticals and assault all have red pads.

Yet it hasn't changed, 'Eavy Metal just mucked up. My one Crit on your Ravens is that the pictures look more grey than black. That could be just my connection or monitor, but that's how I'm seeing them. That aside I think they're nice minis

I like them, ALOT! I've always loved black armor for some reason (maybe cause it's quick XD)

I honestly couldn't keep reading your blog because they where so much better painted then my black-armored marines (I'm lazy and don't highlight ;P)

Well done

As Bigger-than-Jesus said it hasn't been changed, Eavy Metal just can't be bothered to do research. None of the Veteran Sergeants in the new Codex and I mean NONE have the proper red helmet with white stripe, does that mean the Ultramarines markings have changed? I don't think so. Eavy Metal just got lazy and didn't bother to make sure they had the markings right. It just compounds things when players don't do the research either.

I know my fluff, the original IA article was what got me into Ravenguard in the first place. I just dont care for the "fluffy" markings. IMO, its distracting and adding too many random colors to the palette and again IMO, makes the the army look a bit less cohesive. Red here, green there, yellow here.. Just a bit too random in my own opinion.

Thanks to everyone who liked them, I appreciate the compliments and it motivates me to post more in the future.

Vash, I'm sorry the color of my rims offended you. How about the next army I paint up will be 100% fluff marked and all, and we'll call it even?

If you read the fluffy bits in the new codex, it mentions the colors of helmets for sgts. as red, no mention of white stripes for vets. The painters have followed the instructions they were given, I think.

Pg. 21 is cited as my example: "Typically, sergeants have red helmets. Veterancy is indicated by a white laurel."

That's what the book says.

Also, look at the overleaf picture of the second company, on pages 18-19. The sgts. that are wearing helmets are wearing red helmets without any white stripes. Not entirely conclusive, but I would assume, seeing as the codex now assumes each and every sgt. to be a veteran sgt., that it means the white stripe isn't part of the official fluff anymore.

Now, in all fairness, the new codex doesn't mention a thing about the RG's different marking styles or what-not, which could easily lead a person such as myself to think that they would follow Codex markings/colors.

On the matter of the shoulderpad rim colour for the Raven Guard, I think its a tad arrogant for certain people to claim what it represents when it can easily be interpreted another way, as I showed in this old thread: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...p;#entry1810752

The picture is gone, as I have since removed it (quite old post) but I'll put it up again for the sake of my point:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Zekk/RavenGuard.jpg

The entire argument for the different coloured rims being used to indicate the squad type come from the assumption that the Raven Guard pads are all part of the same company - no where on the diagrams is this indicated.

So, going from that diagram where colors and patterns seem to be mixed in however.. That would lead me to think you could pull the rim color (black) from the pads on the left, and the squad marking in white from the right. Which I have done. Or as you said, it would be a bit like marking the squad's designation twice.

I'm a bit bummed my shoulder pads were found to be so offending. I really just wanted to share my army with the lot of you.. I will post more in the future anyways though. But I like how these guys turned out and find it unlikely I'll add 2 more colors to the palette that really dont fit in. I think that would pull the army away from looking like a cohesive "army". But thats just my own personal opinion.

So, going from that diagram where colors and patterns seem to be mixed in however.. That would lead me to think you could pull the rim color (black) from the pads on the left, and the squad marking in white from the right. Which I have done. Or as you said, it would be a bit like marking the squad's designation twice.

I'm a bit bummed my shoulder pads were found to be so offending. I really just wanted to share my army with the lot of you.. I will post more in the future anyways though. But I like how these guys turned out and find it unlikely I'll add 2 more colors to the palette that really dont fit in. I think that would pull the army away from looking like a cohesive "army". But thats just my own personal opinion.

Ignore the mouthbreathers, your army looks great and that's what matters. The fact is that everyone wants to think they're right, and retcon messes up all the fluffy heraldry anyway, so just choose one way and run with it.

Archived