Angels of Vengeance.

Farquhar

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but used to be a store manager for GW for almost 3yrs and used to also paint for the 'Eavy Metal team - all in all I have been into the hobby since I was 14 (I'm 31 now).

I left GW about 5/6 years ago now and have recently decided (with some friends of mine) to get back into it.

My chapter of choice was always Angels of Vengeance so that's what I've gone with, so far I've picked up the 5th edition rules and marine codex, 2x troop and 1x HQ to get thnigs going.

The reason for my post apart from to say Hi and to witter on about me was to see if anyone else here collects AOV?

That's me.

B)

Welcome back! :)

I've been in the hobby same amount of time, being a similar age and have left and come back i don't know how many times.

Cool chapter choice, look forward to seeing those painted mini's

Cheers

Simon

Welcome to the Rock!

There are a few players of the AoV here - you can always check the sticky at the top of the forum where frater introduce themselves to see exactly who does, if you want to.

Otherwise just pitch in - we're always happy to welcome fellow Unforgiven players.

I will also look forward to seeing some painted miniatures in due course (very subtle hint that, I thought ;) ).

My chapter of choice was always Angels of Vengeance so that's what I've gone with, so far I've picked up the 5th edition rules and marine codex, 2x troop and 1x HQ to get thnigs going.

:)

Hi there, welcome back. Just a question. You say you picked up marine codex. Is that the DA codex or the Ultra Marine codex or SM codex? What book will your AoV be using? Just curious.

Hi,

Well as far as I know with edition 5 there is no 'Ultramarine' Codex persay only a generic 'Space Marine' Codex which is based on the Ultramarines and contains all there background, stories, chapter colours etc etc..(correct me if I'm wrong folks).

I still have my 4th edition DA Codex but the guy in my local GW said that the new DA Codex (5th Ed) wasn't really worth it so for the moment I'll be simply using the standard marine rules with a view to possibly picking up the DA codex in the future (as long as it doesn't involve me having to pull apart and re-paint any of my units!

Hope this helps?

Welcome.

I did a successor army about 7 years ago which included an assault squad of the AoV. I was a little experimental in highlight choices. Mine are a little different:

http://www.pbase.com/master_toddius/aov

I think if I did them again they'd be the traditional grey white highlight scheme.

Good luck with your army. AoV used to be more popular around here about 4 years ago and then slowly faded. I see alot of Gaurdians and Absolutions with a smattering of Redemption now and again. It'll be good to see some more.

You might find a few here:

http://www.fortressoftheunforgiven.com/CH07_03LoU_000DA.html

:lol:

Hi,

Well as far as I know with edition 5 there is no 'Ultramarine' Codex persay only a generic 'Space Marine' Codex which is based on the Ultramarines and contains all there background, stories, chapter colours etc etc..(correct me if I'm wrong folks).

I still have my 4th edition DA Codex but the guy in my local GW said that the new DA Codex (5th Ed) wasn't really worth it so for the moment I'll be simply using the standard marine rules with a view to possibly picking up the DA codex in the future (as long as it doesn't involve me having to pull apart and re-paint any of my units!

Hope this helps?

I never bought the new SM codex, it just pisses me off for some reason. And not because it has better and cheaper toys and units. It is written in there somewhere, that does say something like, That this is mainly an Ultramarine Codex, but if you want to make anthour chapter, they will have to be "count as".

So if everything else but Ultramarine, is a Count As unit, that means it's really C:UM not a genaric SM codex. I would go and see the DA codex. Do not let anyone else tell you if it sucks or not, please judge for yourself. Yes so much crying and whining and arguing has been done about it. Hell I cried and whined alot lol. But you should look at it and judge for yourself if it is sub par and you don't want to use it. Maybe you will see it's not really that bad as some people say it is.

I don't begrudge anyone using the new SM codex for their DA, after all it's a game, for fun. But in your heart will you really feel like you are DA or Fallen? I jokingly say every DA using the new SM codex is Fallen and not DA hehe. Just a joke I don't take it serious but it's in good fun.

Hey I just reread your post. I have the DA 4th edtion codex. To me that is the latest codex witch came out 2 or 3 years ago. I got it as soon as it came out. I don't think there is a 5th edtion DA codex. I mean codex number 5 of Dark Angels not 5th edtion rules.

Welcome.

I did a successor army about 7 years ago which included an assault squad of the AoV. I was a little experimental in highlight choices. Mine are a little different:

http://www.pbase.com/master_toddius/aov

I think if I did them again they'd be the traditional grey white highlight scheme.

Good luck with your army. AoV used to be more popular around here about 4 years ago and then slowly faded. I see alot of Gaurdians and Absolutions with a smattering of Redemption now and again. It'll be good to see some more.

You might find a few here:

http://www.fortressoftheunforgiven.com/CH07_03LoU_000DA.html

:D

Great - thanks for the links, nice marines by the way.

I hope to post up some pics of mine soon.

Hi,

Hope this helps?

I never bought the new SM codex, it just pisses me off for some reason. And not because it has better and cheaper toys and units. It is written in there somewhere, that does say something like, That this is mainly an Ultramarine Codex, but if you want to make anthour chapter, they will have to be "count as".

So if everything else but Ultramarine, is a Count As unit, that means it's really C:UM not a genaric SM codex. I would go and see the DA codex. Do not let anyone else tell you if it sucks or not, please judge for yourself. Yes so much crying and whining and arguing has been done about it. Hell I cried and whined alot lol. But you should look at it and judge for yourself if it is sub par and you don't want to use it. Maybe you will see it's not really that bad as some people say it is.

I don't begrudge anyone using the new SM codex for their DA, after all it's a game, for fun. But in your heart will you really feel like you are DA or Fallen? I jokingly say every DA using the new SM codex is Fallen and not DA hehe. Just a joke I don't take it serious but it's in good fun.

Hey I just reread your post. I have the DA 4th edtion codex. To me that is the latest codex witch came out 2 or 3 years ago. I got it as soon as it came out. I don't think there is a 5th edtion DA codex. I mean codex number 5 of Dark Angels not 5th edtion rules.

Hmmm in that case I may go pick up a copy - I did mention that I will probably get a copy eventually.

The DA Codex I already have may not be 4th Ed, I know there is a newer version than the one I have so mine might be 3rd Ed?

Picture Time!

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/GMBelial/Unforgiven/T1-AoV.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/GMBelial/Unforgiven/Vohal.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/GMBelial/Unforgiven/Vohal-AoV.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/GMBelial/Unforgiven/Vohal-Term.jpg

I've got an Angels of Vengeance army that I'm slowly working on. Mostly just painting random bits and pieces of. Not much (if any) of it is completely finished. I've got some of my First Company and their Master. Some Second Company, no pics of their Master (in progress). There's my Fifth Company Command. None of their troops are quite ready for pics yet. Finally there's Veteran Brother Ramiel, (older paint job, but good enough) also of the Fifth Company.

WOW Grand Master. Very nicley well done. Beautiful.

@ Farquhar, why did you leave GW the first time?

The company were going under and sales were down - Mattel were on the horizon to buy us out and turn the hobby into toys.

Basically all of the store managers in the south west jumped ship at the same time including Fred Reed (who was my area manager) - did Eavy Metal for a bit then got sick of Nottingham (apologies to anyone that may be from Nottingham!).

That was it - I miss 'loose metal' runs tho.

Loose Metal: Being let loose in the mail order warehouse in Lenton at the head office and then paying by weight.

P.S. Picked up Marneus Calgar and 6 honour guard on the weekend - now where is my Green Stuff?

Don't feel bad, 5th is completely different than 3rd. And you have to readjust to the tactics of cover saves and los.

I like the color scheme, nice and dark. But I would choose a few more details here and there with red. Breaks it up a bit and will add a little more character.

Hi there Farquhar and welcome :( theyre some nice looking AoV looking forward to seeing some more. Props on the chapter choice, i came close to starting an AoV a few times but was eventually seduced by the DIY path.

You shouldn't feel too out of touch, there are plently of rambling 'fogies' around who haven't caught up ;) I still think in terms of 2nd ed. rules because that's when i did the bulk of my playing... makes me feel older than i am lol.

It's the kind of hobby that keeps you coming back tho.. i think i've unofficially "quit" 4-5 times in 15yrs.. but when there's free-time they gnaw at me from my bookshelves and eventually get dusted off and re-painted or convince me to buy them some friends :P

Don't feel bad, 5th is completely different than 3rd. And you have to readjust to the tactics of cover saves and los.

I like the color scheme, nice and dark. But I would choose a few more details here and there with red. Breaks it up a bit and will add a little more character.

Ummm....those aren't my models in the post above (although I've almost finished my first tactical squad so I'll post 'em up soon.

I miss my 'Eavy Metal desk in Nottingham :(

Hi there Farquhar and welcome :D theyre some nice looking AoV looking forward to seeing some more. Props on the chapter choice, i came close to starting an AoV a few times but was eventually seduced by the DIY path.

You shouldn't feel too out of touch, there are plently of rambling 'fogies' around who haven't caught up ;) I still think in terms of 2nd ed. rules because that's when i did the bulk of my playing... makes me feel older than i am lol.

It's the kind of hobby that keeps you coming back tho.. i think i've unofficially "quit" 4-5 times in 15yrs.. but when there's free-time they gnaw at me from my bookshelves and eventually get dusted off and re-painted or convince me to buy them some friends :huh:

As per post above.

Ummm....those aren't my models in the post above (although I've almost finished my first tactical squad so I'll post 'em up soon.

Argh it seems i too have fallen prey to the perils of skim-reading at work :( looking forward to the tac sqd :)

Archived