Convince me.

Lord Antharis

For me the love of wolfs came from bjorn, he was the first drad i ever saw in a citidal mini's catalog. i bought the catalog and am in "love" with the wolves ever since.

Thats why i made the desktop in the download section ;)

Next month I'll be getting a wolf lord and codex and dawn of war 2, after that what should I get? What is in an avarage company? I know it's up to the wolf lord but there must be a certain number of initiates compared to vets in each company. Thanks for all the Wolf info all :D

avarage company......... hmmm

Wel lets see

2X 10 GH with some toys

1X 10/15 BC.s with toys

1X wolfpriest

1X ven dread

Transport for 2/3th of your troops or all

If you start there you can go every way you want, this is about the basics

Average Space Wolf Great Company? You've got about eighty Grey Hunters, fourty to sixty Blood Claws, ten to twenty Wolf Guard and about ten Long Fangs and a Wolf Lord.

I disagree, but this thread will not turn in to a size of a great company thread so we'll leave it at that, next question.

Average Space Wolf Great Company? You've got about eighty Grey Hunters, fourty to sixty Blood Claws, ten to twenty Wolf Guard and about ten Long Fangs and a Wolf Lord.

Except for the Wolf Guard I'd probably say double that but that's just me.

Anyway you need 1 HQ for every 750pts of your army, a Wolf Lord is a good starting HQ, but a Venerable Dread helps a lot. Why? Well it's versatile, it can count as either Elites or HQ so if your army doesn't need another HQ you can take the Dread as an Elites, but if you push into the next 750 block and need another HQ then you have one readily available.

Grey Hunters are also a must, you need to have at least one pack, but they are fairly versatile fighters, able to lay down respectable bolter fire at range and then smack up anyone foolish enough to get into close combat range.

I also really like Blood Claws. You can either max them out and rush them across the field as ground pounders, or stick them in a Rhino/Drop Pod or heck even a Land Raider Crusader can fit a full squad of them, 15 angry Blood Claws pouring from a Crusader is a lot of fun.

Long Fangs are nice and fluffy but as Heavy Support they can be fairly lacking due to an absence of any ablative wounds and the cost, your generally better off taking Predators, Land Raiders or Vindicators.

For what its worth...

I didnt like the Wolves when I first went looking to play 40k. It was a toss up between Blood Angels (red/black with jump packs!) and Tau (looked like Protoss, and I loved Starcraft).

Later, I was given a bunch of wolves, tried to sell them, then decided to play. Got hooked from there.

Why do the new guys always asked to be convinced? Cant anyone make up their own minds anymore.... whatever happened to bloodclaws being headstrong and stubborn? *sighs*.

Still, welcome to the fang, your packs over there..... the ale is over here. Any questions? :D.

I remembered when I was getting into 40k and hadn't even thought about an army yet. I saw a BC box and knew these were the guys for me.

Space Wolves for me ... have become a collector's army.

There are only three units available in gaming stores, most dont carry that. I enjoy the conversion and the modelling as well as the collecting.

You have to really want to play an army that you have to hunt down a model to be your HQ like a Venerable Dreadnaught.

The models I do convert and / or find are AWESOME!

On the table, Space Wolves are near unbeatable! The current codex is as ancient as a Long Fang and the companion SpaM codex really enhances the Wolves ability. I have had a Wolf Guard Leader with a Storm Shield take down IronClad Dreadnaughts. Opponents flinch when they approach Wolf Scout Snipers and even consider that they might be assaulted. Blood Claws (that I support with Grey Hunters) are one of the most phenom assault troops in the game.

(and I am an Ork player!)

For story and history, cannon and mythology, fluff and feel, the Space Wolves are second to none. (tho I would like to see more Space Wolf Graphic Novels)

My current army of the Great Company is based on the film ' The 13th Warrior'. My characters and Wolf Guard share the Norsi names of the warriors, and the odd man, Ibn ('His name is Eben) is a proud member of the company, coming from Death Watch and Ordos Xenos.

I chose this Great Company because I have the physique of a Wulfen ... I have Ale in my blood ... I have the Honour of Fenris in my heart ... I hear the Wolf in my soul ...

... I am a Son of Russ!

*walks queitly in, see it another convince me thread and walks out quietly*

I rememebr ages ago i said why should we convince the whelps. To be honest they just look great, have tons of Fluff and you can model them how you like.

*walks queitly in, see it another convince me thread and walks out quietly*

I rememebr ages ago i said why should we convince the whelps. To be honest they just look great, have tons of Fluff and you can model them how you like.

Brother Beef,

couldn't agree more! These pups should be trying to convince us that they're worthy to enter the Fang! ;)

Having said that: Literally having the option to paint each and every individual character as distinct as you want, therefore giving each character a personality is incredible. You look at the smurfs and you have a sea of blue helmets staring at you, as opposed to long hair here, a moustache there, a Lamb Chops over there, battle markings on one knee pad, etc, etc, etc...

I remembered when I was getting into 40k and hadn't even thought about an army yet. I saw a BC box and knew these were the guys for me.

When I first visited a hobby shop I was just drawn to a box of Grey Hunters and Logan Grimnar's model. I didn't have the money to get into the hobby then but a decade later and my Wolves are now growing fast. Either your a wolf or your not I suppose :).

Space Wolves are unique, they stand out from the other Astartes. Because of their history, their background/fluff, beliefs, their moral code, honor and of course their look. Theirs really no need to convince anyone, to sell them this or that. When it comes to Space Wolves, it just comes naturally... its a calling from within like instinct. :wallbash:

IIRC we had have a agreement that we don´t explain why others should start with SW. New whelps should explain us why we should except them in the Fang. Correct me if i´m wrong.

I disagree. How about we just explain why we individually love space wolves. Antharis may be 50/50 in his army selection and is just looking for that extra "push" to make that final decision. The " why do they ask us if they should join, they should ask us if they can join" mentality is really not helpful. ;)

Well said. Can anyone honestly say they feel exactly the same as they did 15 years ago? How about a fresh look at that hmm?

Do you tilt your head to one side when puzzled?

Do you howl with the wolves when they come on TV?

Do you scratch your ear by moving your whole forearm (or even your foot)?

If the answers to these are yes, you can't play anything but Space Wolves and be satisfied.

When I first visited a hobby shop I was just drawn to a box of Grey Hunters and Logan Grimnar's model. I didn't have the money to get into the hobby then but a decade later and my Wolves are now growing fast. Either your a wolf or your not I suppose :).

I am going to show my age here now, For me it was the Old Leman Russ model and the ragner and ulrick models when they first came out. There was nothing better out skulp wise at the time. In some ways there still is not.

Archived