How to Use Vanguard?

lucifer light bearer

How many Vanguard are you looking for five, ten or somewhere in between?

Five Vangard all with Power Weapons and Packs = 235 Points

Seven Vanguard with three extra Power Weapons (so Four in Total with the Sgt) + JP = 280 Points

Assault Terminators are propably better value, athough Jump Packs do give Vanguard good movement.

Jump Pack Vanguard are not morth taking unless you are making full use of Heroic Intervention, and for that you really want to have a Locator Beacon about the place somewhere. The risk of scatter acidents otherwise (even just being out of assault range) is too grave.

I don't want to argue the point of if they're worth taking. I know they aren't but I want them anyway. as for the number of models in the unit I'm open to whatever. I just want opinions on how to make them less bad.

If you have decided you want to use them, I will not try and stop you! :P

What is the rest of your 2000 points? Do you have several Locator Beacons on either Drop Pods or Scout Bikes?

Is this an all comers list or do you know your enemy? Are you actually planning to hold them in reserve so you can use Heroic Intervention?

I've got a lot of fire support, and yes I've got 2 drop pods if I want. It is mostly an all comers list but with a focus on chaos marines. the 1st 1000pts looks like this, and the rest is flexible.

1 librarian

10 tac marines, power fist, plasma gun, plasma cannon

10 tac marines, power fist, plasma gun, plasma cannon

1 dreadnought twin lascannon, heavy flamer.

5 termies TH/SS

1 predator autocannon, 2 lascannons

I personally favor a 10 man vanguard squad with just the relic blade. I know that's 340 points so a little over your 275 point 'budget' and yes all that is essentially is a glorified assault squad, but it does kick out 39 attacks on the charge.

If you are considering using them, then can I suggest that you use Tigurius as your librarian. He would still fill the same sort of roll in your list but with the ability to re-roll those reserve rolls you will find the vanguard far more effective.

If you were to do that then how does this sound?

Sergeant with Relic Blade (The model just looks too good not to use)

Veteran with Pair of Lightning Claws

3 Veterans

That comes to 250 points on it's own

Random Guy

My thoughts on using vanguard:

1 - If you are going to use jump packs, make sure you are making use of heroic intervention.

2 - If you are going to make use of heroic intervention, make sure you have a locator beacon.

3 - If you are going to be hurling vanguard into combat, make sure you at least have an ablative wound or two, so don't give them all equipment to make sure you have a few guys to die first.

OR

1 - If you are not going to use jump packs, make sure to put them in a situation where you can assault immediately with them. This situation is probably called a land raider. On the flip side, you can include more guys in this squad because they are cheaper without the jump packs... but you do need a land raider.

2 - You don't need a locator beacon here, but what you do need is a few more ablative wounds.

Also, always throw in a power fist no matter what, just in case you run into a dreadnought or wraithlord, given how important the squad is.

When I've seen them effectively used, it's always been in one of those two ways.

10 Man Vanguards with CCW/BP coming out of a Land Raider and being led by a Chaplain is particularly devastating.

Also, if you're going to use Vanguard, using Shrike is a good idea. Being able to run after you land and then assault gives you a little more protection against "Whoops, scattered too far" and can help if your opponent falls back from Locator Beacon'd Drop Pods.

You want a Locator Beacon on at least one of those pods. Remember that to be dropping 2 Pods on the first turn, you need to have 3 or 4 pods total, as only half (rounding up) of your pods deploy on the first turn.

if you have a character in the unit they can't use heroic intervention. also I've really set on wanting the jump pack, and using plain ordinary no special character codex marines.

I didn't mean Shrike in the unit, just in the army.

I have a list that includes the Vanguard with Shrike and a Chaplain.

5 vanguard all PW and JP and if points allow 1 relic blade

Chaplain with JP

Shrike

thats 28 power weapon attack of any sort with the reroll to hit

Infiltrate... fleet... smash...

10 man assaultsquad with pair of LC comes up to support

So the bottom line is I want to use some Vanguard with jump packs in my 2000 point army. I know they're too expensive, but I just like the look of them. any ideas as to how to make this work for me. just try to keep the unit under 275pts.

use them as counts as Assault marines :(

I have been using a 5 model unit of vanguard with relic blade + 2 PW quite effectivly in my 2000 points drop pod army. 3 of my 5 pods have locator beacons. This allows me to effectivly counter charge with heroic intervention or assault shooty units (whom i ofc landed just next too :unsure: ) but for anything without lots of locator beacons i would suggest Assault marines or assault terminators. I simply use the vanguard because i can have them in CC a turn faster than jump marines and dispacthing your opponents units fast is essencial in a drop pod army.

• 2 weeks later...
10 Man Vanguards with CCW/BP coming out of a Land Raider and being led by a Chaplain is particularly devastating.

Also, if you're going to use Vanguard, using Shrike is a good idea. Being able to run after you land and then assault gives you a little more protection against "Whoops, scattered too far" and can help if your opponent falls back from Locator Beacon'd Drop Pods.

You can infiltrate 18" from the enemy, fly 12" and assault with your Vanguard if you take Shrike. Seriously, you only need like an inch or so on a D6 fleet to get all your guys in place for some turn #1 face-breaking.

That's always good stuff right there.

In fact, that's probably the only time I'll take a larger unit of Vanguard. 8 max though.

I use them with Shrike and infiltrate them <_<

Probably the most effective use of jump-pack equipped Vanguard.

I have a list that includes the Vanguard with Shrike and a Chaplain.

5 vanguard all PW and JP and if points allow 1 relic blade

Chaplain with JP

Shrike

thats 28 power weapon attack of any sort with the reroll to hit

Infiltrate... fleet... smash...

10 man assaultsquad with pair of LC comes up to support

Unfortunately, you cannot do this:

While Shrike can Infiltrate and the unit he joins can infiltrate - add another character without Shrike's special ability and the whole unit cannot infiltrate any more - including Shrike.

Shrike cannot join two units at once - so cannot join the other unit and the Chaplain at the same time.

Unfortunately, you cannot do this:

While Shrike can Infiltrate and the unit he joins can infiltrate - add another character without Shrike's special ability and the whole unit cannot infiltrate any more - including Shrike.

Shrike cannot join two units at once - so cannot join the other unit and the Chaplain at the same time.

Sure you can.

While the IC's remain joined in the Vanguard squad, it counts as a single squad.

It's not a Vanguard squad with two separate IC squads attached. THe IC's become part of the Vanguards.

As a single squad, it benefits from Shrike's special rule.

While the IC's remain joined in the Vanguard squad, it counts as a single squad.

It's not a Vanguard squad with two separate IC squads attached. THe IC's become part of the Vanguards.

As a single squad, it benefits from Shrike's special rule.

Except the Chaplain is still considered an IC - even when joined to another unit. As such, he is bound by the 'Special Rules' limitations outlined in the section about IC's joining other units.

So if you join the Chaplain to the unit as well, Shrike and the squad lose the ability to infiltrate. Shrike's special rules allow him to confer the ability only to the unit he joins and he can only join a single unit at a time.

Archived