How to Use Vanguard?

lucifer light bearer

I guess drop the melta bombs and two power weapons and you get two more jump vanguards.

7 jump vanguard

Srg with power fist

2 power weapons

Total:275

You get to use heroic intervention, but not as many power weapons vs. MEQ's.

-or-

Rino-or-Drop Pod

7 Vanguard

Relic for srg

4 Power weapons

I've never ran assault troops from a rino, but you got 4 power weapons, relic blade, 2 extra bodies, and mobility. That's still 19 PW hits on the charge.

However, if you put them in a landraider those 35 points on rino/pod could be spent on two more power weapons and you get 27 PW attacks on the charge. That's for 270 points + Land Raider. So the question is, would you rather have them risk Heroic Intervention and jumping with less MEQ killing, or put them in the Land Raider and kill away. Heroic intervention without power weapons isn't gonna kill as well as that. I'm assuming you are going to run a Land Raider in a 2000 point army right?

Actually the more I think of it the easier it becomes to phathom Vanguard with JP's. It's all about deployment really.

So far i've made a little list of do's & don'ts. I mean really with Shrike you can either infiltrate/out-flank and have that fleet to almost garuntee the assault. The most important thing is deployment. If your enemy deploys last he can deploy the prime targets in Dedicated transports or some other way of protecting them. or if he goes first he can potentially have a turn to shoot your normal power clad Joe's. You have to be smart and use a combo that you KNOW will get you into combat. Likewise you don't want to overkill on equipment, sweep the squad on turn one and suffer under every AP gun in his deployment zone. It's actually a very demanding squad if it is to be effective.

The Vanguard squad must take:

Ablative wounds.

A method of transportation.

The Vanguard squad must take either:

Land raider

(Special character/HQ optional, pedro would help AT and give inspiring presence)

jump packs and/shrike

(Chaplain optional)

Teleport homer/drop pod/HI

(Tigerius optional)

The Vanguard squad musn't

Overstuff on power weapons/PP's/SS's

be taken without a means for transportation

Be overestimated in resilience

Be used carelessly

i'm thinking on running my vanguard like this :

serg with plasmapistol and relic blade

2 with plasmapistol and ss

2 with plasmapistol and powerweapon

razorback

for hq and monstrous creatures hunting

or for supporting rhinorush

5 pistols can do al lot of damage, 2 stormshields to absorb nasty wounds

what do you think?

Shrike+Squad+another IC=CAN infiltrate

*fixed*

I don't want to drag this off-topic, but it can't be done:

Shrike can only be attached to one unit at a time - so he can join the squad or the IC...but not both.

So Shrike will have Infiltrate, the unit he is attached to (be it squad or the other IC) will have infiltrate - because it is his special ability. However, if you join an IC that doesn't have Infiltrate to this combined unit, it loses the ability to infiltrate as described in the main rule book.

Archived