Blood Claws

Vash113

So got some more work done on my wolves, including this large pack of Blood Claws:

Front:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/Vash113/IMG_0490-1.jpg

Back:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/Vash113/IMG_0491-1.jpg

These guys were a pain, I like painting up a squad at a time, usually 5-10 models, doing all 15 at once was a lot of shuffling them from one side of the table to the other as I added one detail, then the next, then the next, and a lot of looking over each one to make sure I didn't miss anything, and invariably I did.

So whatcha guys think?

Looking good brother! Keep it up! More wolves for the Fang!

There's always more. ;)

Good job! May I suggest some blacklining to barek .. break up the blue?

What do you mean blacklining?

Looking good brother! Keep it up! More wolves for the Fang!

There's always more. :HQ:

Good job! May I suggest some blacklining to barek .. break up the blue?

What do you mean blacklining?

You dont know what blacklining is,I thought youve been playing 40k for like 9 years or something? :)

essentially, you make forced shadows with thin painted/drawn on lines in depressions in the model.

I would also suggest going with some smaller gravel, and some more thinned down paint. Out side of that keep painting keep practicing and youll have some awesome paint jobs!

You dont know what blacklining is,I thought youve been playing 40k for like 9 years or something? ;)

7 but I'm not big into painting. ;)

essentially, you make forced shadows with thin painted/drawn on lines in depressions in the model.

Ah that, I thought that was an archaic and rarely used technique these days? Time consuming and the same effect can be generally gotten a lot easier with washes apparently... which I need to get some, but the store was out that I went to today. :)

I would also suggest going with some smaller gravel, and some more thinned down paint. Out side of that keep painting keep practicing and youll have some awesome paint jobs!

Practice makes perfect I suppose, these guys are certainly a far cry from the first Tau I painted oh so long ago. Now those buggers are pretty bad... :devil:

as far as washes, dont buy them...make them. I use clean water, to vallejo thinner for mine...and they come out great!! You just have to work on the thickness of the paint you want...that helps determe how how many washes you need to give the figure.

and no black lineing is not old or time comsuming. You can use pens to do it, and the term doesnt just mean using the color black...its an all over term for shadowing with solid colors.

as far as washes, dont buy them...make them. I use clean water, to vallejo thinner for mine...and they come out great!! You just have to work on the thickness of the paint you want...that helps determe how how many washes you need to give the figure.

Eh... no thanks, maybe after I learn more about washes but for now I think I'll buy them and experiment for a while. :)

and no black lineing is not old or time comsuming. You can use pens to do it, and the term doesnt just mean using the color black...its an all over term for shadowing with solid colors.

Well I'd say it's pretty time consuming. *shrug*

don't feel bad about not knowing what people suggest when they say "hey try this". i am not into painting much ether. i don't have one finished army yet and i have been playing for 8 years. most of the time if some one comments on one of my models and asks how i did some thing (it was the only way i learned the word "blackening") i tend to just say "i put paint on a brush and painted what i thought looked good, and that is how it came out, other then that i don't know how i did it", which is 95% of the time the truth.

i like your Blood Claws though. they look good.

don't feel bad about not knowing what people suggest when they say "hey try this". i am not into painting much ether. i don't have one finished army yet and i have been playing for 8 years. most of the time if some one comments on one of my models and asks how i did some thing (it was the only way i learned the word "blackening") i tend to just say "i put paint on a brush and painted what i thought looked good, and that is how it came out, other then that i don't know how i did it", which is 95% of the time the truth.

Yea, the more I paint the more I experiment and try things out but "techniques" is too official a term for anything I do probably. As long as it works though, I'm happy. :lol:

i like your Blood Claws though. they look good.

Thanks. :P

Trust me. It is. ;)

Hehe sounds like you know from personal experience huh? :)

That is pretty good. I also agree you should maybe change the basing materials. (I like to do snow, grass and a bit of gravel because it looks good with the armour)

I'm thinking about adding some tufts of snow flock to the bases to give them more of a wintery SW feel but haven't gotten around to getting snow flock yet.

It really depends on how many lines your doing.... *sighs*. Try black lining a unit of 20 High elf spearmen in scalemaile sometime.

Okay good example...I was refering more to 40k black lining...since this is a 40k forum and all... :(

but my question...WHY WOULD YOU BLACK LINE HIGHELF SPEARMEN???!?!?!? do you want your hands to be come useless!! holycrap that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much work!!!! :P

It wasnt my bright idea... my flatmate started a high elf army to combat my lizardmen.... and he blacklined his heros to make them look cool, and then a unit of silver helms.... and then was like "well crap, now I have 50 seagaurd and thats going to kill me".

He survived. Took about six months though.

Ok so marines aren't as bad as Elf Spearment but I still have 300+ Space Marines alone, not counting, Tau, Guard and my Bro's Orks that I help him with and various Inquisition models so... no thanks I'll give washes a try.

seriously vash, its really easy to make your own washes....just dab a little bit of paint out, and then mix water/thinner with it till you get the consistince you want. Even with purchsed inks/washes you will have to thin them down.

I couldn't recommend GW's washes enough Vash, i'm a relatively amateur painter and they're making even my ham-fisted efforts look good on the tabletop. I'll post some pics soon

It's always good to see more pics!

seriously vash, its really easy to make your own washes....just dab a little bit of paint out, and then mix water/thinner with it till you get the consistince you want. Even with purchsed inks/washes you will have to thin them down.

As I understand it no you don't thin GW washes down, that's the whole point they're already at the optimum consistency and why they're more usefull than inks for most people. So no thanks, I don't feel like messing around trying to make my own till I know more about their use and application, said it before and I'll say it again.

I wasnt makeing a ref to just GW washes....washes/inks in general sometimes need to be watered down. Tamiya is notorious for this as is vallejo, and honestly GW too. I am just giving you some pointers to help save some cash mate. Once you start using the washes and really learn how to use them , youll understand what everyone is talking about or the GW paints.

I like your color choices. A nice bold look.

7 but I'm not big into painting.

Like you it took me 7 years to put paint to my army, I think you will be happy with the results of what lunchbox is suggesting, it really is quite easy to follow the steps that is required for the process. Don't get hung up on what kind of washes to use, get some black of any type and you will see for yourself. Try one or two models set those aside for 24 hours and adjust your ink by either adding water or another wash layer. rinse repeat, goes quick, great results with little time.

WG Vrox

I wasnt makeing a ref to just GW washes....washes/inks in general sometimes need to be watered down. Tamiya is notorious for this as is vallejo, and honestly GW too. I am just giving you some pointers to help save some cash mate. Once you start using the washes and really learn how to use them , youll understand what everyone is talking about or the GW paints.

Is there a reason you continue to labor under the dillusion that I don't know this stuff? I do understand what everyone is talking about. I'm still not going to bother trying to mix up my own washes, not yet anyway, how many times do I have to say it? ;)

Besides if I was seriously concerned about cost I wouldn't be playing 40k anyway. ;)

I like your color choices. A nice bold look.

Thanks. :)

Like you it took me 7 years to put paint to my army, I think you will be happy with the results of what lunchbox is suggesting, it really is quite easy to follow the steps that is required for the process. Don't get hung up on what kind of washes to use, get some black of any type and you will see for yourself. Try one or two models set those aside for 24 hours and adjust your ink by either adding water or another wash layer. rinse repeat, goes quick, great results with little time.

Actually no it didn't take me 7 years to start painting, I've been in the hobby 7 years and painting the whole time. My Space Wolves are barely a year old. I started with Tau and used them for a good 4 1/2 years and painted pretty much every unit before fielding it on the table, then I got into Marines and wound up with 10,000 points of them from one large second hand purchase and it took me a year to even fix all that junk up (still got a bunch of leftovers) and have now been busting painting it all.

I'm not hung up on what wash, but neither am I going to mess around with them too much either, simple is best IMO. I'm going to get some kind of GW black or brown wash and see how it works, maybe then I'll try mixing up my own, but not now. Which incidentally is what lunchb0x is suggesting, that I make my own, not just to use washes in general which I'm already sold on doing. So no I'm not going to do what lunchb0x keeps insisting and mix my own washes but I am going to give washes in general a try, as soon as I can get some. Hokay?

So no I'm not going to do what lunchb0x keeps insisting and mix my own washes but I am going to give washes in general a try, as soon as I can get some. Hokay?

Sorry for the confusion, was only encouraging you to do what I see now you planned to do, not to make your own washes.

WG Vrox

Archived