scratchbuild plasticard warhound titan

jochemvh

last november i started on my first plasticard project, never worked with the stuff before but it seemed like fun.

during the frenzy in utrecht (the netherlands) there was a guy who made all kinds of tanks and titans from plasticard.

so i was inspired to try it myself.

I know starting with a warhoud might not be the smartest thing to do.

but i never been the type to start small or easy.

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq182/jochemvh/warhound%20titan%20scratchbuild/titan221108-finishedhead.jpg

the head took me a few days, with all the small parts.

the rest about 2,5 weeks for the full build.

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq182/jochemvh/warhound%20titan%20scratchbuild/titan071208complete2.jpg

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq182/jochemvh/warhound%20titan%20scratchbuild/titancloseup071208005s.jpg

after this was done, i put it aside for a while, ran out off inspiration.

this weekend i finally got the time and ideas to finish the project.

added imperial eagles from forge world (brass etched), about 300 rivets, engine compartment on the back and additional armour plating.

also undercoated it black.

And i have bought a airbrush for the painting, gonna be testing it today.

i'll post more pics soon, when i've painted the first few part.

yes they are, i've used pvc piping 1" diameter, for the arms.

And used endcaps underneath the shoulderguards, they fit like a glove.

added some metal rings in the endcaps, and 2 earthmagnets to the arms.

this way they stay put even when i turn them in the right direction.

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq182/jochemvh/warhound%20titan%20scratchbuild/titan271108002.jpg

in the photo on the right you see the pcv pipng for the armrings i used.

for the hip section, i used peg/hole priciple, this way the whole torse can turn around without falling of the legs.

the head is also detachable with 2 earth magnets and some flat metal rings in the neck collar.

this is so i can more easily paint the whole thing and for transportation.

you know battlebrothers, we need to team him up with the RC Land Raider project and make the fully automated warhound titan, that will stomp on the enemies and then burn them with a "Wicked Laser" brand laser (like pointing lasers but powerful enough to light a smoke)

you know battlebrothers, we need to team him up with the RC Land Raider project and make the fully automated warhound titan, that will stomp on the enemies and then burn them with a "Wicked Laser" brand laser (like pointing lasers but powerful enough to light a smoke)

That is the most awesome idea ever. Someone do it... please... :)

Titan itself is impressive already. I'm also impressed that this is scratchbuilt :(

Started painting yesterday.

bought an airbrush a while back and i've took it for a test run yesterday.

i really need to learn what the best mixture of paint and water is.

but i'm not unhappy with the results so far.

I've painted the head, gunmounts, toes and upper legs in tausept ochre/ylanden darksun 1:1 mixture.

tonight i'll be touching up the part that i missed and when everything is dry it get a nice coat of liquid mask.

then the rest will be painted catachan green exept for the piston/moving parts that will be done in tinbitz/boltgun metal.

try to get some pics done today or tomorrow and post them here.

Awesome work with the plastic card. Do you have a link to the templates you used?

For the airbrush I use a 1:1 standard with the foundation paints. I go not quite about 2/3 paint to 1/3 water mix with the regular gw paint as there's not as much pigment as in the foundation paint. A 1:1 mix works but I find I have to apply far too many layers when it's an even mix. Good for blending and layer effects but harder to get solid coverage unless you run a heavier amount of paint.

The P3 paints I run at a 1:1 mix like foundation paints

you ask, we photograph B)

guns have been basecoated in tinbitz. they'll get a second coat of boltgun, and then i'll see what i'll use next.

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq182/jochemvh/warhound%20titan%20scratchbuild/firstcoat.jpg

First work?

You must lie, this is amazing

no really, first scratch built and first time with airbrush.

look closly to the legs, you still see the paint runners LOL

but i look and listen when is see or hear people do new things.

always asking questions like "but how did you do that?"

that really helps me a lot most of the times.

there also a yahoogroup for scratchbuilding, that helped me a lot with the titan.

and with other ideas.

also build a thunderbolt now, its not up to scale.

turns out when it was finished it was about 30% to small, but that doesn't matter.

it was a good test if i could do it.

will post a new topic with pics.

thanks all of you with the kind words, really inspires me to continue building and painting.

tried the next coat today, catachan green with a little camo green mixed in.

But while spraying it, it looked horrible.

so i stopped as i was getting really annoyed that it didn't go to my liking (yes indeed a serious character flaw, just call me ezekyle)

but now thats its dry, it doesn't look to bad afterall.

so monday i'll get some more paint and give it another go.

anybody got any tips on how to keep your airbrush from stuttering and spitting globs instead of giving a nice smooth spray?

could be that its just because it a cheap thing (only 16 euro's) so that could be the whole problem.

also, has anybody used valejo paints for airbrushing yet?

i'm really currious as vallejo has the right color without having to mix it and it pigment is really good, so i can water it down well i think?

Archived