Tales Of Heresy

Angels_Blade

• 1 month later...
Can anybody tell me some more about the Word Bearers story?

Here you go, read if you dare...............

The Word Bearers lead the purging of the planet Fourty-seven

Sixteen, to liberate them from their 'false god'. After Kor Phaeron

orders a devastating orbital barrage which kills 190 million people, the

Word Bearer strike force lead by Sol Talgron defeats the planets armies of

artificially intelliget robots(They are kinda like small versions of the robot

in War of the Worlds). The battle is long and costly as the robots

shields are immune to all but the most concentrated heavy weapons fire and

their weapons can melt a marine in one shot. After Talgron destroys a shield

tower which is protecting the planets only remaining city the Word Bearers

advance into the city, destroying more of the robots. When they find the planets

last inhabitants they find out that the planet worships a manifestation of

The Emperor. Suddenly Erebus and Lorgar show up with the entire 1st

company. He is then shocked as Lorgar orders the 1st company to

slaughter the planets last remaining 40000 inhabitants. Lorgar then tells

Talgron that this planet was wrong to worship The Emperor. The story closes

with Lorgar saying " Do you remember the Old Gods that were worshipped on

Colchis..."

i really can't recommend it strongly enough, it pads out the great crusade with so much more character, and theres barely a poor story in the entire book (which is pretty rare in compilations). The stories concerning Space Wolves, World Eaters and Dark Angels are especially cool, so if you're a fan of any of these I'd definately pick it up!

Wolf at the Door - Mike Lee = is set just before the Space Wolves muster for the attack on Prospero and follows the 13th company as they bring a world to compliance. There are no well known characters in this story.

AB

Not quite true

Bulveye, the wolf lord from the last space wolf novel is the main character in the novel. Relly like the portrayal of the wolves in this...so much better than that of Battle for the Abyss. Really great background for the 13th...the book is worth it for this alone for any wolves out there (that and having our knowledge of those dirty traitors from caliban confirmed :blush: )

~O

I have just finished the book and after reading Mechanicus only a few days earlier it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Both books are great but the more I learn about the Emperor the less I like him (when I started this hobby in the late 90' an older gamer told be the stories rahter than me reading them so everything had a myth like feeling, Emperor the savious, Horus the serpent, Evil gods and Marines in armour) and the fact that I don't like chaos either I am finding an ever shrinking number of characters I like. One of the few individuals that has survived is Logan Grimnar and I hope he doesn't get ruined in the future codex.

Apart from the general stories a few things can be learned from this book like what was the name of World Eaters before, the name of Logar, what was the order in which some priamrch's were found etc...

Cheers

Hrvat

Too bad it will take five weeks to it arrive here :D

Of course, I could order ir online and get it on a couple of days, but I already have a BL order made through a local bookstore here, so I prefered to just throw this one together.

@Hrvat: Why you need to LIKE some side? That's why "there's only war": ALL sides of the conflict have several good reasons to beat the other side and vice-versa :P

40K = the least maniqueist universe ever made.

I have just finished the book and after reading Mechanicus only a few days earlier it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Both books are great but the more I learn about the Emperor the less I like him (when I started this hobby in the late 90' an older gamer told be the stories rahter than me reading them so everything had a myth like feeling, Emperor the savious, Horus the serpent, Evil gods and Marines in armour) and the fact that I don't like chaos either I am finding an ever shrinking number of characters I like. One of the few individuals that has survived is Logan Grimnar and I hope he doesn't get ruined in the future codex.

Apart from the general stories a few things can be learned from this book like what was the name of World Eaters before, the name of Logar, what was the order in which some priamrch's were found etc...

Cheers

Hrvat

Exactly, and I think this is so wonderful! Less black and white, far more shades of grey! :)

Remember the background we have always read about the heresy has been from a perspective, from the victors, of 10,000 years in the future. Now we are told the true story of these characters and some of them, even the Emperor, are not such shining white knights that we have been led to believe..

You can really see this in the Wolf at the Door story. What a fantastic short story, I totally agree it paints a great picture of the SW, and also shows the nature of the Great Crusade to be far less benign than we had been previously told.

Bought the book during lunch and allready finished reading it...4 hrs later....gonna read it again. It is by far the best colection of stories that I have read by Bllack Library. All the stories are awesome but my favorites were: The Last Church by Graham Mcneill and Blood Games by Dan Abnett. The weakest story, in my opinion, was The Voice by James Swallow but it was still a very good read. I heartily recommend everyone to run out and pick up the book.

I am really starting to hate the Calaban "loyal" Dark Angels though...more so than I allready disliked them.

I like the fact the the Emperor is being humanized, I never did like all the myth and reverence that had been historically associated with the guy......but then I am an Atheist so I am leery of anything that smacks oof religion.

finally the story is being told fairly!! no more "all hail the most holy god-emperor" hello "very very human ordinary emperor" weeee :( this is way better than i thought. the more i learn about these things the more interested i get ;) bye bye false emperor ;)

I cannot recomend this book enough! A good comparison i feel is that its like a good episode of lost, a few big questions are answered you get to see some SUPER AWESOME COOL AND WIN stuff and it leaves enough new questions for you to want allot more than your given! bring on the next 2 books and the rest!

Ooh and i now love custodes... lots...

S.O.N.

I'd say for the most part you'll be ok - all of the stories are told preceeding Istvaan. However, I would always recommend reading the 'big 3' of Horus Rising, False Gods and Galaxy in Flames first, as these describe the main events and will help to put everything else into context.

For the short story about Dark Angels, it might be advantagous to read Descent of Angels first (and perhaps even Angels of Darkness, a non-heresy book which it is very closely linked to) but its not completely necessary.

I am slowly digging my way through it (I deliberately only read one story a day to savour them and to avoid mixing them up). So far, I've only read the first one by Abnett and it was tremendous. Nobody does 40k (or 30k) crime stories like Abnett. It did remind me of the best parts of Ravenor and Eisenstein. And the small appearance by the Big E was also great

Note that his own bodyguard call him a 'demi-god' despite the Imperial Truth.

I did like the book but.......as the serise goes on and more authors (of frankly,differing skills), alot feels alittle diluted. Some of the earlier books were very definatly set on the 31st millenium but that special charactor seems to slipping.

In short, I prefer their first album

Archived