It's just me...

Verythrax Draconis

Well, I'm some months now away from the hobby news, but the new stuff at FW site is quite shocking.

They are listing Ordo Xenos and Daemonhunters in the same section, and lots of INQ stuff were announced recently. And we all know that FW is usually a laboratory for stuff that goes in plastic from GW in future, so at least some of those we'll see "officially" in the future.

Maybe FW is paving the way for the INQ re-design in the next year or so?

How much time from the SoBs in IA until the codex WH was released, as reference?

I see your point and will agree that some things that Forge World has produced in the past has made it into regular plastics production. But to me, Forge World has more seemed to be a place to make the models for niche-type players and for things that GW doesn't really want to actually spend time on developing and producing. Sure we are getting plastic Stompas and Baneblades now but are we ever going to see plastics for things like Warhound titans? And look how successful the Death Korps of Kreig are and yet the rumours for great coated plastic guardsmen are suspect at best.

I would love to see a more fleshed out and better flowing Inquisition book but I'm still not sold that it is on their minds yet.

Yeah, I know it work both ways, sometimes it's just niche market, sometimes it's laboratory - Apocalypse is a GW response for the eternal FW problem: I pay high bucks and it's not even "rulebook official".

But the Ordo Xenos thing is a bit stretched. It's already years that FW started to do OX things here and there, and coincidentally, they will have it in a IA book, full of new models, just a year (at least, or more) from the "announced" possible timeframe for INQ renewal.

But only time will tell.

From following the rumours for what feels like ages, this is what the senario seems like to me;

FW are going to be bringing out a book containing Inquisitorial Units, and have pre released a few Inq minis to get people interested (he next SoV, part 3 I think. Inquisitor Req and some new GK Vehicle stuff).

It's been rumoured that Inquisitors are going to be a part of the new IG 'dex. Along with Plastic ST, it's not too far fetched that the IG 'dex will contain some form of IST.

GW have said NO combined Inq 'dex. Both seperate WH and DH armies will be kept as seperate armies.

It has been rumoured that when the WH and DH 'dexs are redone, they will focus much more on the 'militant' side of the Ordo, and in essnce become a SoB and GK army book.

The last part ties in well with the human side of the Inqusition being rolled into the human (IG) army book. Leaving the Faith using femme fatales and the Super Human GKs to have books to themselves.

Edit: Ordo Xenos is a no. I think GW have filtched the good stuff from the OX to give to the Sternguard and new Marine Codex (which is basically what the Militant OX 'dex would have been, if you go by the above...) anyway. No doubt we'll see mention of an OX Inquisitor somewhere. Probably the IG 'dex.

From following the rumours for what feels like ages, this is what the senario seems like to me;

FW are going to be bringing out a book containing Inquisitorial Units, and have pre released a few Inq minis to get people interested (he next SoV, part 3 I think. Inquisitor Req and some new GK Vehicle stuff).

It's been rumoured that Inquisitors are going to be a part of the new IG 'dex. Along with Plastic ST, it's not too far fetched that the IG 'dex will contain some form of IST.

GW have said NO combined Inq 'dex. Both seperate WH and DH armies will be kept as seperate armies.

It has been rumoured that when the WH and DH 'dexs are redone, they will focus much more on the 'militant' side of the Ordo, and in essnce become a SoB and GK army book.

The last part ties in well with the human side of the Inqusition being rolled into the human (IG) army book. Leaving the Faith using femme fatales and the Super Human GKs to have books to themselves.

Edit: Ordo Xenos is a no. I think GW have filtched the good stuff from the OX to give to the Sternguard and new Marine Codex (which is basically what the Militant OX 'dex would have been, if you go by the above...) anyway. No doubt we'll see mention of an OX Inquisitor somewhere. Probably the IG 'dex.

I would say ForgeWorld is more of a marketing testbed for GW. The small levels of production allow GW to see what could sell and couldn't. I would assume the Marines of Legand did not sell well enough for GW to see it beneficial to manufacture of a large scale. On the other hand. The Tau SkyRay was not in the first codex and came on FW. Then it showed up in the 4th ed codex and was a plastic model. There are several examples of this. It makes sence as GW is too large to be test beding on it's own. Remember, though we may not like who they do and don't "pay attention to", it's all about chaising the money. Hence why marines got the first 5th codex, they are the most popular. As are orks, so they now have lots of goodies. This is likely why we have not seen a dark eldar codex in some time as there are not many sales.

I do hope the Inquisitors aren't part of the IG 'dex.
And I hope the Inquisition is all but ignored in the next Codex: Sisters of Battle, listed in a separate side army list somewhere in the back of the codex (much like the Adversaries list in C:WH). But we all have different desires :tu:

I concur with Melissa. I hated seeing Codex: Sisters of Battle being release as Codex: Witch Hunters. It would nice to see it revert back to being a Sisters specific codex.

As to Codex: Daemonhunters? Personally, I like how intermeshed the Knights are with the Ordo Malleos, and I like being able to field both a mixed Inqisitorial force or a Knights only force.

SJ

And I hope the Inquisition is all but ignored in the next Codex: Sisters of Battle, listed in a separate side army list somewhere in the back of the codex (much like the Adversaries list in C:WH).

As a DH player, our desires for the future of the Inquisition codicies are not mutually exclusive. :)

Personally, I'd be fine if they just released the "Inquisition" as a PDF file or white dwarf article... and let them draw upon any one of the Imperium of Man armies as desired. Then they'd be able to put the Grey Knights and Sisters of Battle into their own codices without neglecting those players who'd want an Inquisition led army. They'd be able to choose from "Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor", "Ordo Malleus Inquisitor", Ordo Xenos Inquisitor" as HQ units, with the differencese being only in a few specific wargear and retinue choices (no more "you can't have termie armor if you're a witch hunter" crap, for example). After that, they get a selection of assassins, and then stormies, and then they can fill as many slots as they want (aside from the mandatory 1 Inquisitor and 2 Stormies) with allies. Inquisitor Lord would be an upgrade that increases stats and allows lesser Inquisitors of the same ordo to be purchased as elites.

Ah well, I can dream can't I? It's probably the best way to make (almost) everyone happy.

I think you guys are overly pessimistic. If what Gentlemanloser said happens (what I hope so, seems very possible and plausible), we'll get the best of 2 worlds: IST lists will be relegated to IG, and Gks and SoBs will have their own codexes. I just hope they still be codex DH and WH, for fluff sake. I want to still be able to field repentias, arcos and PEs, and I'm praying that they make those unitis worthy this time.

I want to still be able to field repentias, arcos and PEs
These are not Inquisitorial units, so I fail to see why a Codex: Sisters of Battle wouldn't include them. Priests, Arco-Flagellants, and Penitent Engines are all weapons of the Ecclesiarchy-- whom, by the way, the Sisters fight for 99% of the time (not the Inquisition). Repentia ARE Sisters of Battle-- self-exiled ones perhaps, but still admired and loved by their Sisters for their desire to redeem themselves.

There's only three kind of Inquisitorial units in C:WH. Inquisitors (including =][= Lords and retinue), Assassins (including operatives and death cultists), and Inquisitorial Stormtroopers. Everything else belongs to the Sisters/Ecclesiarchy or isn't a unit per se (such as orbital strikes).

Well, arcos and PEsm to be accepted in the list, you need an inquisitor

Nope, it's a Priest, a representative of the Ecclesiarchy. Actually if you have an Inquisitor, you STILL cannot take Arcos and PEs unless you have a Priest.

The Sisters (including the Repentia) are not under Inquisitorail authority any more than anyone else. They just so happen to have signed an agreement saying "we have pretty much the same goals so call on usi f you need help".

Well, Melissia has more or less summed up what I hope for with the next codex.

Anyway, it isn't that FW is being prophetic (Really, t'was only a matter of time till large overlaps appeared) but more to do with the time frame.

JJ said that: Spacemarine 40,000 works on a 4 - 6 year update cycle.

" " ": Sisters (and GK and =][=) are at the end of the cycle.

" " ": They are 5 years away.

" " ": There would be two separate Codices.

That places them at 2011 At The Earliest and more likely 2012-13.

Harry, of Warseer, said that they would be earlier then that. He gave no further details, and it was in reference to GK and nothing else. When I asked him if this included the sisters there was no response and I have yet to hear any other rumour source say anything for or aginst.

And really, if there was something as big as the Sisters and the GK being updated you think there would be more details from everywhere else then just one person giving a vague as vague could be comment.

So sadly, we are still probably looking at 2011-13 regardless for what FW is cooking up in the mean time.

Besides, it's a good thing that GW didn't follow FW example for the Exorcist. Cause really, if I wanted a Whirlwind for my sisters then I would've bought a Whirlwind.

Verythrax Draconis Posted Today, 01:38 AM

On a related note, I can understand why they didn't picked up the Repressor - it looks more like something that the arbites would have, instead of the SoBs - but it's a fantastic piece!

Well the Arbites did have the Repressor, but after a specific incident described in IA:2, they made the STC available to the Sororitas.

I'm seconding Mel here. Also, how many times do we (or rather do GW) want to replicate the same Inquisitor Profile (with just Maleus changed to Hereticus or Xenos in the title), or IST or Assassin (or any other new Inquisitorial unit) in multiple codexes?

It makes sense to leave the Human Inquisiton side of these lists somewhere in a single 'dex.

And with IST just being a clone of IG Stormtrooers, I agree with GW that putting them into the new IG 'dex makes the best sense.

Even if it means we have to purchase an additional codex if we want to run mixed Inquisitorial forces. But then we are trying to run a mixed force anyway, and not a pure Chamber Militant force...

Edit:

Hell, GW might not make any difference between Maleus/Hereticus/Xeno Inquisitors at all. And really, do we need three different types of inqusitors? Or even three different types of Armouries/Psychic Powers?

Inquisitors should be able to get whatever Equipment they need, and Maleus Inqusitors sohuld be able to purchase Inferno Pistols, and Hereticus Psycannons.

Just give the Inquisitor entry and massive Option list to cover this.

Does no-one else think that putting them in the Guard codex will make them get lost under a tide of options and fluff for, well, the IG? I could live with it if they were given the amount of attention and love that people are outlining, but do you seriously think that GW will not continue their trend of just pigeonholing stuff, instead of devoting lots of time and energy for lots of options and fluff for Inquisitors?

Perhaps I have just lost faith in GW . . .

Does no-one else think that putting them in the Guard codex will make them get lost under a tide of options and fluff for, well, the IG? I could live with it if they were given the amount of attention and love that people are outlining, but do you seriously think that GW will not continue their trend of just pigeonholing stuff, instead of devoting lots of time and energy for lots of options and fluff for Inquisitors?

Perhaps I have just lost faith in GW . . .

I don't think so, I think it will be the other way around. The inquisitor in the IG dex will be HQ for IST/Arbites (I guess, or an option for everybody), and IST and/or Arbites will be another IG flavor, like Death Korps, Catachan and such, what makes perfect sense to me. And I really doubt that Inquisitors will not be listed in the GK and SoB dexes as well. We will still have inq profiles in several places, but it's the more logical solution, in my opinion.

The Inq will only be buried under the IG if they really take them out of the GK and WH dexes, what I really hope it's not the case - Inq fluff is so big in 40k to be put in the sidelines like this.

I'm guessing it will be something along these lines:

- If you want a IST Inq force, you use IG (99% of chance that they will list character/options for the 3 orders, what will give us finally a Ordo Xenos in some way);

- If you want a GK force, you use DH (hoping it will be a DH codex, not a GK one);

- If you want a SoB force, you use WH (hoping it will be a WH codex, not a SoB one).

Want mixed IST with GK or SoB? Ally them.

Personally, I think a Codex: Inquisition would be a fine thing. Have it contain the DH, WH, and Inq elements, but DH and WH still be seperate armies as they are now. Allow Inquisitorial elements to be allied into either army, with (as suggested above) some variances in wargear/henchmen. I would think GW would be much more likely to take a smaller risk and simply release on big-ish book than a bunch of small ones. It would also make allying the forces a whole lot easier.

I'm guessing it will be something along these lines:

- If you want a IST Inq force, you use IG (99% of chance that they will list character/options for the 3 orders, what will give us finally a Ordo Xenos in some way);

- If you want a GK force, you use DH (hoping it will be a DH codex, not a GK one);

- If you want a SoB force, you use WH (hoping it will be a WH codex, not a GK one).

Want mixed IST with GK or SoB? Ally them.

I'm gonna be pissed if the Sisters are shuffled into a Grey Knight codex.

On the other hand, I'd love a Sisters codex, and I personally don't give a damn what happens to the Ordo Hereticus =][=, as long as they don't sacrifice anything in the Sisters for them. (Ala Codex Witchhunters)

I'm gonna be pissed if the Sisters are shuffled into a Grey Knight codex.

On the other hand, I'd love a Sisters codex, and I personally don't give a damn what happens to the Ordo Hereticus =][=, as long as they don't sacrifice anything in the Sisters for them. (Ala Codex Witchhunters)

Well, that on in the last line was a typo, I just fixed.

Personally, I think GKs and SoBs make more sense in a well-defined INQ context - a SoB-only codex with just a paragraph mention that they are a militant chamber for WH doesn't cut for me. INQ is just to big in 40k to be only a side-note (or be relegated to a simple IG option, for that matter).

It's too big.

That's the Problem.

The INQ has access to *everything*. It can call on SoB, SM, IG, GK, Arbites. All maner of Tanks and Weaponry. The Imperial Navy, the Mechanicus.

Which can all be accessed in the Relevant individual 'dexes.

What does the INQ have wholly to itself, and is that *really* enough to fill out a 'dex? Inquisitors (two types), Assassins (Temple and DC) and a form of IG Stormtroopers.

For one HQ and an Elite slot(With two Types), and a reprint of an IG unit, the ][ just doesn't justify a full 'dex, when most of it's stuff comes from, and is detailed, elsewhere.

Edit:

The only other reasonable choice to have a 'dex detailed to the INQ as a whole is to have a combined one. But then what's the point of duplicating SM rules for the OX, when you can (and probably, should) just use the current SM 'dex. And a combined 'dex isn't going to happen.

The Militant orders are armies in thier own right, that can be fielded seperately to the INQ, and should be detailed as such.

Archived