Krake Marines

Donkey Kong

Well, I'm glad that I could refine those ideas to something positive. Thank you for the ideas Ydalir.

With your ideas on the rivalry, I prefer the White Scar method of shoving everyone together and telling them to get along. I think undertones would be appropriate here too, with some of the marines feeling that "The artist's son" doesn't compare to " the pirate's son."

With names, I've yet to receive suggestions, and I've been playing around a bit with the names listed in the first post. If you could suggest rank it would be appreciated, note that I'm going mostly for chapter masters, company captains, and first/ veteran sergeants with these.

Cetus Trelawni

Esther Callum

Giott Laffiti

Jol Nemo

Julian Hood

Livesi Dodona

Rahl Lusca

Rias Brasser

Suggestions are very welcome.

Thank you.

For names, you may find some inspiration in the names of actual pirates and sailors. some of the more well known ones that come to mind are Jack Rakham and Edward Teach. I could, for example, see a Chapter Master named Rakham Averus or something similar.

Here are some pirates:

Edward Teach (Blackbeard) - first ship was Queen Anne's Revenge, later he was Commodore of several others including The Adventure.

Batholomew Roberts (Black Bart)

Stede Bonnet (Captain Thomas) - captain of The Revenge

John Rakham (Black Jack)

Benjamin Hornigold (for whom Blackbeard was first mate before gaining his own captaincy)

John Martel

James Fife

Christopher Winter

John Avery

etc.

For your chapter's ships here are some ideas:

The Emperor's Vengeance, The Kraken's Eye, The Emperor's Judgement, The Warp Squall, The Void Ranger, etc.

One method that might be interesting is to name each as one of the Kraken's arms, giving you the Arm of Wrath, the Arm of Vengeance, the Arm of Judgement, and so on. If there is a belief system that incorporates the arms of the Kraken into various martial virtues, it could pervade the entire chapter. If the Kraken's first arm is, for example, Wrath, then so too would the first company be the Company of Wrath, or if we are keeping with the nautical theme, the Wrathful Crew. Likewise, the first squad of each company could be the Wrath squad.

As for the competition between companies, I think there is a ready made comparison with the Space Wolves' Great Companies and the Iron Hands' Clans (Is that what they call them? I forget the details here.) here. I think the rivalries in this case can be seen as the crews of different ships attempting to outdo one another. Pirates would be after the biggest prize (captured ship) or largest treasure, so Space Marines could be after similar goals - the biggest ship destroyed, the largest number of enemies consigned to the void, etc.

I don't necessarily see all space marines as following the knightly traditions of being religious and living a life devoid social interaction with the other members of the chapter. There's been quite a bit written about the space Wolves in this regard, but I think I recall some small pieces on the White Scars joining in revelry on the eve of a great hunt. I don't see any reason why your chapter wouldn't have festivities either immediately before an undertaking or to celebrate a victory. In fact, you can incorporate a tradition of U.S. Submarines from world War Two here. The crews would set to sea with a small supply of beer onboard. The beer, of course, would not be consumed until the ship had successfully engaged the enemy. It would only be after sinking an enemy ship that the crew would get a ration of beer.

I like your color scheme choice as well. I can't help but think of them as Sea-foam and Brass.

I hope this gives you some ideas to work with.

A few more ideas.

I think that the marines would have an appreciation for art and music similar to the pre-heresy Emperor's Children. They do, after all, come from a world of artisans. I'd expect a bit of contempt to exist for the Iron Hands because of this.

Also, the marines would have a grubby appearance. Ruffled, curly hair, braids, bandannas, etc.

Like the Ultramarines all waltz around with a gladius, I think it would be cool for all my marines to do the same with a cutlass.

As for the competition between companies, I think there is a ready made comparison with the Space Wolves' Great Companies and the Iron Hands' Clans (Is that what they call them? I forget the details here.) here. I think the rivalries in this case can be seen as the crews of different ships attempting to outdo one another. Pirates would be after the biggest prize (captured ship) or largest treasure, so Space Marines could be after similar goals - the biggest ship destroyed, the largest number of enemies consigned to the void, etc.

I always liked the competition between Marines, and this will definitely be included. It'd be nice to see that, "So, my tally's still higher than yours brother!"

I don't necessarily see all space marines as following the knightly traditions of being religious and living a life devoid social interaction with the other members of the chapter. There's been quite a bit written about the space Wolves in this regard, but I think I recall some small pieces on the White Scars joining in revelry on the eve of a great hunt. I don't see any reason why your chapter wouldn't have festivities either immediately before an undertaking or to celebrate a victory. In fact, you can incorporate a tradition of U.S. Submarines from world War Two here. The crews would set to sea with a small supply of beer onboard. The beer, of course, would not be consumed until the ship had successfully engaged the enemy. It would only be after sinking an enemy ship that the crew would get a ration of beer.

I like it, the victory celebration idea is very nice.

I don't see these guys as rigid as the Ultramarines or Imperial Fists, but I don't see them partying on the same boat with the Space Wolves, either. I would like to balance the two a bit, more leaning to the space wolves, but need a bit more on it.

And thanks for commenting on the color scheme.

While I know I'm far from doing extras beyond the IA, I feel this is an idea I cannot resist sharing.

After Howl's assassination, Veteran Sergeant Julian Nemo is approached by the honor guard and is handed the Krake helm marking him the new Captain of Forth. Done with names, onto idea.

There is a Waaagh emerging from the Ghoul Stars threatening to overrun the Scylla moons and Charybdis and the Krake's need to hold them back. The entirety of the Chapter is involved* including Narrick's and Barbarossa's Second Companies. Battles wear the Waaagh down and the Warboss is tracked to a single world. Several Company Captains including Narrick, Barbarossa, Nemo, and Voy, and honor guard track him to a grotto.

Dakka Grotto. For those who don't know, based on Dakkar Grotto.

Nemo is killed, Barbarossa escapes again with remorse, Voy mourns, Narrick goes back to chasing Barbarossa. Though Narrick's presence does add a bit more tension between the marines.

*Willing to accept help from others

Opinions on the Campaign?

I don't see these guys as rigid as the Ultramarines or Imperial Fists, but I don't see them partying on the same boat with the Space Wolves, either. I would like to balance the two a bit, more leaning to the space wolves, but need a bit more on it.

You might want to look at the White Scars. They are a more 'barbarous' culture and history, but are not in the same league as the drunken reveling space wolves. To me the WS are the middle ground between the more 'civilised' chapters and the more SW/Barbarous ones.

Other than that I do see what your trying to achieve and I agree. With an influence like Pirates of the Carribean (Where's rum gone?!) it would be hard not to have such an influence. I think its very charactful and makes sense. I'd like to see this IA written up a bit more, well properly laid out. Cut it up into paragraphs and such. Giving an overview of what it is going to look like can often also highlight areas which need more adding, and some which might need less.

Other than that I'd like to see it looking good too!

Good stuff King.

I agree, GHY, I should start organizing this into a regular IA format. Unfortunately I don't have the time to really type paragraphs, so I hope that bullets will do.

Origin

-Ninth founding

-Mentors Silver Skulls Chapter (Denarious)

-Sixteen Krake helms (Magos Nero)

Homeworld

-Cyarybdis

-Mountainous world

-Between Maelstrom and Ghoul Stars

-Great Crusade

Mining world

Cities built into the sides/ on top of mountains and plateaus

Artists made various treasures

-Horus Heresy

Attacked by traitor Mechanicus + traitor army

flooded world melting ice caps using mining equipment (treasures submerged)

-Cities on highest plateaus and mountain tops

-Pirates (air + sea)

-Imperial (wet) Navy

-Artists

-Floating Islands

-Adeptus Mechanicus presence

Battlefield Doctrine

-Close range fire fights

-Excel at boarding actions

-???

Chapter Organisation

-Codex Adherent

-Eleven Companies

-Strabo Barbarossa's Second Company

-Astos Narrick's Reformed Second Company

-Each captain holds the title of Ship Master

Chapter Cult

-???

Gene-seed

-Ultramarines

Extra

Relationships

-Close ties with populace of Charybdis

-Close ties with Adeptus Mechanicus

Appearance and Personality

-Caribbean

-Mediterranean

-Terror markings

-Weapons chained to arms

-Sea green power armor

-Brass

-Aggressive

-Humorous (varying degrees)

-???

More needs to be added, and I've once again fallen into my hole of giving more attention to the homeworld than the chapter :D .

The Chapter Cult and Doctrine are the two areas where I need the most help.

With the Chapter Cult I want them to still rely on the word of Librarians like the Silver Skulls. I have no other ideas concerning it.

With Battle Doctrine, I want them to be proficient at boarding actions, favor close range fire fights, and use fear (ie terror markings on armor).

Input is very welcome, especially for these two points, thank you.

With Librarians, the 'old sea dog' line got me thinking of a Librarian sitting down a dozen or so neophytes and telling them tales of the Chapter's heroes and achievements. Which would actually be pretty interesting.

I don't know how I want them to view the Emperor, but I don't think I want 'Lord of the Sea and Horses.' Thanks for the suggestion though.

Another thing to add and contemplate would be including relic/s that the Chapter is searching for similar to the Salamanders. It adds to classical 'pirates and buried treasure' I've always loved, but I honestly have no idea what. I don't know if Narrick's hunting of Barbarossa's Helmet is similar enough that I don't need a second relic.

And just to be thick, who agrees that it would be undeniably awesome if the Chapter had a history with an albino Void Whale?

I've settled on the name being the Krake Marines. The idea of 'Twisted' Marines is just too good to pass up. Plus, they are suitably twisted, infighting, chasing heroes for personal glory, etc.

With the cult itself, I'd prefer to avoid the usual 'native animal of significance,' Though I would like to have an animal on the world like a narwhal, just to have the horn playing a significant role in the Chapter's heraldry.

Ideas welcome.

I'm loving this idea! I want to see marines with long beards, Chainswords shaped like a cutlasses!

The one thing I'm not sure of is the colour scheme, it just doesn't look piratey enough. I think something more dark would be appropriate. Not too keen on shells being used as badges either, pirates liked skulls yarr!

How about making the assault squad with 2 chaincutlasses? Maybe having the second one smaller than the usual chainsword size á la Main Gauche?

I wish I had thought of this idea!

EDIT: Maybe Mermaids could be incorparated somehow? More boobies on the battlefield!

With Librarians, the 'old sea dog' line got me thinking of a Librarian sitting down a dozen or so neophytes and telling them tales of the Chapter's heroes and achievements. Which would actually be pretty interesting.

As much as this is a good idea and I do like it, I don't understand why people seem to be forgetting about the chaplains. They are the spiritual leaders of the Space Marines and it is they that maintain the chapter cult and culture. Without its specific cult a chapter would not be quite as unique as it is and it would be my geuss that it would be the Chaplains that teach the newcomers, not the Librarians, or perhaps they both do.

The one thing I'm not sure of is the colour scheme, it just doesn't look piratey enough

Frankly I think thats more due to the misconception of what colours a pirate would wear than anything else. Wearing white frilly shirts and stockings is dark? The pirates wore the colours of the time, which were all pretty much identical and not only that in the era the PotCB theme is based the colours were ridiculusly bright and garish everywhere, everywhere that wasn't poor as dirt that is. I think the colours are fine personally, though as I said more gold might be nice. ^_^

Frankly I think thats more due to the misconception of what colours a pirate would wear than anything else. Wearing white frilly shirts and stockings is dark? The pirates wore the colours of the time, which were all pretty much identical and not only that in the era the PotCB theme is based the colours were ridiculusly bright and garish everywhere, everywhere that wasn't poor as dirt that is. I think the colours are fine personally, though as I said more gold might be nice. ;)

You misunderstood that when i said "more dark" i meant as in a darker shade of colour not atmosphere/setting/tone. :rolleyes:

IMHO I still think the colours are too light and clean as the current colour just doesn't say pirate to me. They need to be a darker shade, more grubby if you will I think it looks to clean cut at the moment. I agree with more gold tho.

But again, kudos on the idea m8

I'm loving this idea! I want to see marines with long beards, Chainswords shaped like a cutlasses!

The one thing I'm not sure of is the colour scheme, it just doesn't look piratey enough. I think something more dark would be appropriate. Not too keen on shells being used as badges either, pirates liked skulls yarr!

How about making the assault squad with 2 chaincutlasses? Maybe having the second one smaller than the usual chainsword size á la Main Gauche?

I wish I had thought of this idea!

EDIT: Maybe Mermaids could be incorparated somehow? More boobies on the battlefield!

Thank you. Aye, they've got terror markings lad, skulls all around ye!

I don't know about mermaids. *shrug*

As much as this is a good idea and I do like it, I don't understand why people seem to be forgetting about the chaplains. They are the spiritual leaders of the Space Marines and it is they that maintain the chapter cult and culture. Without its specific cult a chapter would not be quite as unique as it is and it would be my geuss that it would be the Chaplains that teach the newcomers, not the Librarians, or perhaps they both do.

I love Chaplains, yet the only reason I've been avoiding them thus far is that I have nothing going for the Chapter Cult.

Frankly I think thats more due to the misconception of what colours a pirate would wear than anything else. Wearing white frilly shirts and stockings is dark? The pirates wore the colours of the time, which were all pretty much identical and not only that in the era the PotCB theme is based the colours were ridiculusly bright and garish everywhere, everywhere that wasn't poor as dirt that is. I think the colours are fine personally, though as I said more gold might be nice. ;)

You misunderstood that when i said "more dark" i meant as in a darker shade of colour not atmosphere/setting/tone. ^_^

IMHO I still think the colours are too light and clean as the current colour just doesn't say pirate to me. They need to be a darker shade, more grubby if you will I think it looks to clean cut at the moment. I agree with more gold tho.

But again, kudos on the idea m8

But, no one ever said that they were straight up Pirates in Power Armor, now did they? ;)

I agree that battle damage and dirt would fit the theme, but it's something I can't get in the painter. It's just one of the aspects that you get when you want Feral Space Marines. Look at the World Eaters before the heresy. They went into battle in clean white and blue and came out covered in so much blood they mine as well be red. That's the idea with The Krake's colors.

Thanks for comments.

I agree that battle damage and dirt would fit the theme, but it's something I can't get in the painter. It's just one of the aspects that you get when you want Feral Space Marines. Look at the World Eaters before the heresy. They went into battle in clean white and blue and came out covered in so much blood they mine as well be red. That's the idea with The Krake's colors.

To be almost completely non-contributory for a moment: I like that idea, and the theme, it sits well with me and makes sense.

Just saying I like it is all. :)

To be almost completely non-contributory for a moment: I like that idea, and the theme, it sits well with me and makes sense.

Just saying I like it is all. ;)

:o GHY making a post without a contribution? Impossible! It's heresy!

But, thank you :D .

So, while it's a bit thick to quote myself:

Another thing to add and contemplate would be including relic/s that the Chapter is searching for similar to the Salamanders. It adds to classical 'pirates and buried treasure' I've always loved, but I honestly have no idea what. I don't know if Narrick's hunting of Barbarossa's Helmet is similar enough that I don't need a second relic.

To recap, Barbarossa is on a self imposed death oath with the Second Company. The Second Company is reformed and led by Astos Narrick who wants Barbarossa's helm so that he can proudly have the title Captain. So, is his chase enough for the "buried treasure" feel, or would another treasure be better?

To recap, Barbarossa is on a self imposed death oath with the Second Company. The Second Company is reformed and led by Astos Narrick who wants Barbarossa's helm so that he can proudly have the title Captain. So, is his chase enough for the "buried treasure" feel, or would another treasure be better?

I think another treasure would be cool. What about a lost Titan, ship, armour or weapon? i dunno just throwing ideas :(

What about a lost Titan, ship, armour or weapon?

What about a lost titan lander ship from the heresy that is supposed to be buried on some planet? It would be the size of a mountain and need some excavation. And likely you could include some other races. Like above this is a random idea, but at least its somewhat contributory this time. :(

The point of this would be to rescue the Titan inside. Incase that wasn't clear.

pah . . . I'd be better off with my Chapter Master riding a Void Whale through the . . . well . . . void :P .

I agree that another treasure would be cool, just why a Titan? Keep brainstorming and something interesting might pop up. Also, it would need to have some importance to the chapter if they're running after it.

The Krake Marines

Origins

Established during the Ninth Founding, the Krakemarines have made a name for themselves defending the Imperium from the eternal threat of the Ork menace in the Ghoul Stars. Like two thirds of the Space Marines, the Krakes use the gene seed of Roboute Gulliman and his Ultramarines.

The Chapter's first Master was Denarious of the Silver Skulls. With him, Denarious brought many traditions of the Silver Skulls to the Krakes. Librarians hold great respect among the marines, and before every battle they are consulted.

Denarious was greatly respected by the Marines, yet he himself felt disconnected by Marines from the world. After consulting many soothsayers on the world, Denarious learned of Magos Nero and his sixteen Krake helms. Determined to find them, Denarious ventured under the sea where he discovered them amongst many treasures. Upon returning to the surface he gathered the entirety of the Chapter to Charybdis's capitol city and revealed to them his discovery. He gifted a helm to each Company Captain, the Chief Librarian, the Chief Apothecary, the Master of Sanctity, the Master of the Forge, the head of the Chapter's Honor Guard (?), and finally donned one himself.

Homeworld

Charybdis was brought into the fold of the Imperium during the Great Crusade. In a previous millenium it was a mountainous world with spanning canyons and great frozen caps. Wondrous cities were built upon plateaus and mountains. Islands of metal and stone also sailed through the skies, with zeppelins serving as transportation between the cities built upon them and the ground. In the canyons the Imperium mined precious minerals with gargantuan laser drills. The world's many artisans used these beautiful stones and metals to craft magnificent pieces.

With so many fascinating features, the Adeptus Mechanicus could not help but be drawn to the world. Among the most famous of these tech priests was Magos Nero. Nero spent almost a century on world examining the floating islands, minerals, and crafting his own pieces. His greatest creations, however, were lost when the Heresy Struck the world. Sixteen golden helms, all shaped like the krakes that inhabited Charybdis's great sea.

During the Horus Heresy, Charybdis was attacked by traitorous army soldiers and mechanicus. In desperation, the Governor of Charybdis ordered the flooding of the world. The mining drills which once served to ensure the world's wealth were sent to the poles where they melted the ice caps and flooded most all the world. Naught by the tallest peaks and floating islands still saw the surface. Countless lives were lost and frightening amounts of treasures were lost.

Now a world of island chains, Charybdis still possesses the beauty it did during the Great Crusade. Spanning seas called for a greater need for a wet navy, for which the Charybdis PDF is famed.

Charybdis has six satellites, Scylla Prime, Scylla Secundus, Scylla Tricus, Scylla Quadcus, Scylla Pentcus, and Scylla Hexcus. Scylla Prime serves as the Krake Marines's Fortress Monastery while the other five moons serve as gun bases to defend the world.

Battlefield Doctrine

Like the Ultramarines, the Krakes pride themselves on versatility. However, many battle brothers choose to engage in close range fire fights and hand to hand combat. This preference has no relation to the Chapter's gene seed or heritage from the Silver Skulls. It is more closely related to the Chapter's closeness to a world with a high sense of personal glory and honor.

The Chapter and its armory have ample resources to act upon any tactic presented in the Codex Astartes.

Chapter Organization

The Krakemarines are codex adherent in their Organization. However, a mark of shame stains the Chapter's history, leaving them with eleven companies. Of those eleven, two are both Second Company, one self exiled to the Ghoul Stars and led by Captain Barbarossa, the other reformed in recent centuries and led by Commander Astos Narrick. When active companies need reinforcement they draw squads from the reserve companies.

The Chief Librarian and Master of Sanctity along with a party of veterans, librarians, and chaplains will return to Charybdis every three decades to find new recruits.

Chaplains of the Krakemarines are charged with the responsibility of making to cult known. They play a great role in recruiting new neophytes. When outside of battle, it is not uncommon for the Chaplain to talk with marines and neophytes about the upcoming or completed battle. Tales of old veterans and heroes are told to attached neophytes.

On the battlefield the Krake Chaplains lead from the front. They preach the achievements of the Chapter, the terror they bring to the Emperor's enemies and motivate their battle brothers to even greater acts of heroism.

Librarians carry great respect among the Chapter, this tradition has been adopted from the Silver Skulls and their teachings. Attached Librarians are consulted by Captains before acting out battle strategies. Because of their renown among the marines, it is not uncommon for a Krake Marine force to be led by a venerable Librarian. Librarians are drawn from the psychic pool of individuals from Charybdis.

On the battlefield the Librarians of the Chapter draw on the power of the warp to combat the enemies of the Imperium.

Techmarines are the backbone of the Chapter's armory, and unlike many Chapters who disregard, distrust, or openly dislike their Techmarines, the Krake's have nothing but the highest respect for them. The Chapter's connection to the Tech Priests of Mars is greatly strengthened by the greater number of marines they send to receive training. Because of their greater number, it is not uncommon for smaller Krake assaults or defenses to be headed by venerable Techmarines.

Chapter Cult

The Krakemarines have taken much of the culture from their mentors, the Silver Skulls, and the various groups on Charybdis. Adopted from the Silver Skulls, the Marines hold great respect for their Librarians. Librarians are consulted by Captains before carrying out assaults.

Since it's founding, Charybdis has held close ties to the Adeptus Mechanicus, as the Krakemarines do now. A large number of initiates are sent to Mars each cycle to undergo Techmarine training.(?)

Gene Seed

Like two thirds of all Space Marine Chapters, the Krake Marines use the gene seed of Roboute Gulliman. The Chapter's gene seed is flawless and every marine possesses a full set of functioning organs. Like every other chapter, the Krake Marines pay a regular tithe to Mars.

Strabo Barbarossa

Once hailed as the Chapter's greatest hero, Strabo Barbarossa's fall was a tragic loss to the Chapter. After a decade on Campaign, Barbarossa's Second Company was voyaging home to reinforce and reequip. Tired and understrength, the Company was in no condition to continue fighting. Yet, fortune would not be kind. Obdurate Kleos, the Company's strike cruiser's defense systems began to fail. The disaster killed the navigator, forcing Librarian [XYZ] to guide the Ship while the marines fought against the unending waves of daemons and warp spawn. Second's Techmarine [XYZ] was also taken away from the action to frantically repair the Ship's defenses and program combat servitors. For nearly a half century the Company held out against the warp. However, it's effect was clear. As marines fought they slowly began to mutate. Where once there were arms there were now tentacles and claws. Many marines took to unceremoniously amputating corrupt limbs, much to the distress of Apothecary Peleus Xanthe who was forced to mend poor cuts and replace limbs with bionics. Captain Barbarossa himself lost his left arm and legs to the warp's mutations and replaced them with bionics. Despite the purification others chose to use, some marines embraced their gifts and used them to better combat the horrors of the warp.

Reemerging into real space, the Company found itself before Scylla Prime. Captain Filo Howl of Fourth Company, a close friend of Barbarossa, was stationed on Prime at the time. When seeing the Obdurate Kleos, Howl immediately led a team of Fourth's veterans to board the vessel. The team met no resistance as they walked to the Ship's bridge, nor did they encounter a single marine of Second Company. Upon entering the bridge, Howl came face to face with Barbarossa. Overjoyed, Howl removed his helm with a great grin on his face, his friend of a hundred campaigns had returned home. Barbarossa's response was far less enthusiastic, he too removed his helm. Barbarossa explained his company's corruption and begged his friend to allow him access to another Strike Cruiser and the honor to die on the battlefield, making a death oath for himself and Second. Reluctantly, Howl gifted Barbarossa with Nostoi and ample equipment for the Company. In addition, many marines of Fourth Company with close ties to members of Second joined themselves to Second, accepting the burden of the death oath and the dishonor of the Company. After receiving his reinforcement and vessel, Barbarossa sailed into the Ghoul Stars.

Filo Howl was assassinated on a later Campaign by two members of the Chapter's honor guard. Rumors among the chapter connect this assassination to Howl allowing Barbarossa to escape. In addition, Astos Narrick, a warrior of First Company and one of the Chapter's finest marines was given the honor of leading the reformed Second Company. However, without the honor helm that Howl still wears, he cannot accept a title beyond Commander. Greatly angered by this jest, Narrick took command of Barbarossa's repaired vessel the Obdurate Kleos and chased after him into the Ghoul Stars.

The IA has since been edited, so uh . . . shameless bump ;) .

EDIT: Also, I still need help developing the Chapter Cult :P . All I really have is "Listen to the Librarians" from the Silver Skulls and sailor superstition. Input needed, and as a note, I do not want the Krake to play a role as the "slay this animal to become a marine/ veteran." Thanks.

I'll take a closer look at the post above when I'm not so strapped for time. I saw this with no replies and I was mortified!

On the chapter cult, it is a large part and some would arguably say the chapters personality in a nutshel. The chapter cult is the basis of each and every marines belief system which, in turn, drives their every action. It is reflected in their choice of tactics, in their rituals, in how they socialise with each other and outsiders, how they are organised and this remains true even if they no longer follow the Emperor.

One thing I'm a bit iffy about is listening to the Librarians as a key point in the chapter cult. Not that they are listened to or their role, but the apparent non-issue of Chaplains, the keepers of the cult and the chapters faith, having no place in it whatsoever. Remember that the traitor legions and subsequent chapters all, bar the Word Bearers, killed their chaplains as they were largely un-corruptable. Now I'm not saying your chapter is traitorous or that they have no chaplains, but mentioning their role and what they do would not go amiss compared to their present complete and total absence.

For the cult, look to who you want them to be. How they act and react. The way I go about it is building a chapter cult around tenets that apply to what I want my chapter to act and feel like. A good idea is to list some inspirations and take from them certain points or traits and mould them into tenets and beliefs that are tied to the cult.

Other than that a chapter cult is probably the one unique thing in a chapters IA and is very hard to be developed by anyone except the author, given that its the author who knows what he wants the chapter to be like and how the chapter feels to him (or her, political correctness - I hate it).

Thats all I have for now, hope it helps.

Well, I'm back to do a little work to keep the squid alive.

For several ideas not yet entered in the IA:

First: Both Chaplains and Librarians are consulted before the Captain takes action. This allows me to have the Librarian adopted from the Silver Skulls and gives a role to the Chaplain.

Second:

Another idea was to conjoin all of the ideas around Astos Narrick.

I'm still debating a name of the Chapter Master - or if the Chapter should even have one (ie roll with something like in the last PotC film with all the Pirate Lords - but even then there was a Pirate King :P )

So . . . if there still is a Chapter Master, the idea would follow that the CM was unhappy with Barbarossa's departure - thus Howl is assassinated - it still lacks the complete motivation (maybe someone else thinks otherwise)

I also propose a previous encounter between Narrick and Barbarossa - Narrick is a spoiled Artist son and I'm sure would have been disliked by Barbarossa, plus his position in the First Company would surely win him some honors with the Company Captains.

This little affair (which I now dub the Barb-Narrick Affair) is probably my biggest motivation for holding onto the Chapter.

I would like any and all opinions from anyone who has the time to read the IA, thanks.

Based on what you've said so far I think you need to sort out the more basic aspects of the chapter before you start moving onto intrigue or inter chapter politics.

The basics are the chapter master (whether to have one or not and how powerful he is) and the role of the seemingly intertwined dual purpose of the librarians and the chaplains.

Personally I don't see an organisation like a space marine chapter doing terribly well without a chapter master. Any sort of council or commitee always argues or discusses issues instead of making decisions, they are a beaurocratic entity primarily and no coincil has ever really been known for it's swift decision making ability. A space marine chapter revolves around swift decisions being made, the conflicts they enter, the disposition of their forces and everything in between.

The only way a council could truly work is if all the companies worked independantly of one another, though this would likely preclude them from entering any large conflict as a unified chapter unless they were wise enough, or able to stop squabbling for long enough to elect a temporary leader, I don't know how much you want these guys to emulate the pirates from PoTC. Obviously there are some chapters out there who do not have a unified command structure and I'm sure some people will comment on this but I personally don't see any chapter being particuarly focussed in it's operations without a single leader. Remember also that most chapters have a council of officers anyway, but that the Chapter Master makes executive decisions as he sees fit.

On the chaplains and librarians together, I think it's a really good idea, especially in a chapter that seems less devoted to the empire than they do to internal squabbling (even if this is only a superficial image, it is one Inquisitors and other organisations and chapters would pick up on, which you might want to remark upon if you feel so inclined).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to try and outline my Chapter Cult and hopefully get some establishment on the role of the Chaplain and Librarians. I agree on the issue of Chapter Master, and I feel that a single Chapter Master would be better than the independent companies squabbling.

The Krakemarines are loyal to the Emperor beyond all others. Following they hold great attachments to the Imperium as humanity's honor guard. Regardless of their origin on Charybdis and their feelings of their Battle Brothers, all marines hold the Emperor above all else.

Before leading assaults, Company Captains wills often consult their Company's attached Librarian and Chaplain in addition to the more venerable Marines. It is not uncommon for the Chaplain and Librarian to disagree, under such circumstances the Captain makes his decision on who to follow with the assistance of the veteran marines. Because of their respect among the Battle Brothers, it is not uncommon to see a Chaplain or Librarian leading a strike force.

With the Chapter's internal conflicts, I don't know if it would be something that would be obvious to see. In the Horus Heresy novels, for example, I believe it was Demeter who scolded Lucius for being a fool after saying that he though he would achieve great things and be an excellent Captain. This is one of those things that you'd never expect to see in the company of others.

The conflicts among the marines that I can see:

Origin - Pirate son arguing with artist son or government son

Command - When the Captain dies I'm sure every marine in the company is going to be jumping to fill the spot. Hence comes a series of duels, and arguing including suggestions from the Librarian, Chaplain, and Captains of other Companies. I'm sure that some Companies keep there men in a good enough order to prevent this, the one I have in mind is Fourth. Howl's company was more outraged about Howl's death and not being able to find his body or any trace of his armor, besides the Krake Helm of Fourth, to squabble over the spot, and the order of his marines allowed them to accept Veteran Sergeant Nemo.

And because I'm still debating the cause of one very important event in my head, I'd like to ask you:

First: When Narrick's second company is formed, is it because of a New Chapter Master who has a grudge against Barbarossa, or is it because the existing Chapter Master recently heard of Barbarossa's taint?

Second: When Howl's assassination is ordered, is it because of a New Chapter Master who has a grudge against Howl, or is it because the existing Chapter Master considered Howl's actions heretical?

If there are other suggestions besides these two, please make them.

Finally, what names would you suggest for some of the Chapter Masters? To make note, I've taken my names from Greek culture and famous pirates.

Archived