Krake Marines

Donkey Kong

chapter name ideas - Cat-o-nines (refers to the whip used to instill obedience or punshiment)

Jack Tars (old term for sailors)

Man o Wars (a vessel designed and outfitted for battle)- my fave

The Keelhaulers - common practise of tying a prisoner or whoever displeases the captain by dragging them under the ship under the keel untill near death or death.

to me krakemarines sounds like crackmarines

also maybe consider calling the chaplain the Provost in pirate times this was the person responsible for keeping order aboard the ship or it could be the captain of the ship but would prob be handed to someone under his command so he can focus on the commanding.

keep in mind that naval hierarchy (terminology at least) is very different than your typical marines. usally the marines aboard a ship where under a different chain of command and the ship was manned by the navy. however the captain could still order the marines if need be. but i do like your idea for a chapter just lil more info for you from someone actually in the navy :) best of luck, i could use some help on my chapter lol they dont have much info right now but im working on it *dark stars thread with 0 responses :rolleyes:

I actually like Man O Wars. Thank you for that suggestion. I wonder if I can get away with linking Jelly Fish to Giant squid ;) . I can see the link between Krake and Crack.

I also think that having Chaplains maintain order on the ship to let the Captain do his work on the bridge is brilliant.

Glad you like the idea of the pirate marines. Best of luck in the Navy.

Scally that is awesome! :D

Clanfield, be fair now, the spelling differs. Besides, Charybdis was my favorite part of the Odyssey. Plus it give me the little poke of having six moons each called Scylla. :lol:

I'm glad these guys are drawing attention, a couple questions for you:

1. Krake Marines or Man o Wars for the Chapter's name?

2. Should the fortress monastery stay on the first moon or be underwater/ on the planet's surface?

I'm glad these guys are drawing attention, a couple questions for you:

1. Krake Marines or Man o Wars for the Chapter's name?

2. Should the fortress monastery stay on the first moon or be underwater/ on the planet's surface?

1- Krake Marines

2- I like the idea of being underwater. It adds to the idea of submerged treasures on the planet. After all, what's more valuable than a Space Marine Fortress :lol:? Plus, it reminds me of Atlantis, something that fascinates me.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been a while.

I would like to summarize my ideas, and any input from the community would be awesome.

-Training Cadre came from the Silver Skulls

-Geneseed Gulliman

-First Chapter Master, Denarious, found the sixteen krake helms worn by the Chapter Master, Company Captains, Master of the Forge, Chief Librarian, Master of Sanctity, Chief Apothecary, and (Head of Chapter Honor Guard?).

EDIT: Denarious may have also found the undersea Fortress Monastery (opinions?)

-The Chapter's homeworld is Charybdis, currently a sea world.

-The Chapter Homeworld is Charybdis.

-Bordering the Ghoul Stars

-Currently a water world, land masses include island chains, and several floating islands.

-There is a large Adeptus Mecahnicus contingent on the world. (The Chapter is closely tied to the AM)

-Pre-heresy the world was mountainous - canyons were filled with drills mining precious ores from the world

-Cities were built into the sides and on top of mountains/ plateaus

-Artists on the world were famous for their works created on the world (AM Magos Nero responsible for the creation of 16 Krake helms)

-During the heresy the world was attacked by traitor guard and mechanicus, desperate the people flooded the world by using the mining drills to melt the ice caps --> treasures inside buildings on mountains/ plateaus that were submerged were washed out and left on the sea floor.

- Six satellites - Scylla Prime, Scylla Secundus, Scylla Tricus, Scylla Quadcus, Scylla Pentcus, and Scylla Hexcus

- Satellites are gun platforms - successful in defeating several Ork Waaagh upstarts

-Fortress Monastery located under central ocean

-Once [...]

-Sea green armor

-Bronze and gold jewelry

-Terror Markings

-Chain weapons

-Mediterranean/ Caribbean appearance

-Codex Adherent; however 11 companies due to Barbarossa/ Astos Narrick

-Respect Librarians (to degree of Silver Skulls)

-Respect Techmarines

-Chaplains maintain order on battle barges

-Strike forces may be led by Librarians, Techmarines, or Chaplains

-Recruits from Charybdis come from different backgrounds: pirates, artists, etc. and often form rivalries - in extreme situations infighting occurs

-Strabo Barbarossa: Pirate son, Second Company Captain, Self exiled and sailed off into the Ghoul Stars after being physically corrupt by the warp with his own Second Company

-Astos Narrick: Artist son, Commander of Reformed Second Company

-Narrick hunts Barbarossa for the Krake Helm of Second with Barbarossa still wears

-Filo Howl: [...] son, Fourth Company Captain, and friend of Barbarossa, allowed Barbarossa to leave before the Chapter Master could question him or his company could be executed --> Howl assassinated by Chapter Honor Guard on campaign --> Succeeded by Captain Nemo

-Each Captain holds the title Shipmaster

-Narrick: Chapter's best swordsman outside of the honor guard, immature, unknowingly used by chapter master to attempt to assassinate Barbarossa

-Echo Nausicca: [...] Company Captain of a past millennium --> killed by an Ork warboss the size of a Leman Russ Battle Tank; Armor (ie Sigvald the Magnificent) given to Narrick

-Excel at boarding actions and drop pod assaults

-Mobile warfare

-Close ranged fire fights

-Servants of the Emperor and the Imperium

-Close with the people of Charybdis

-Humanity must be protected for the Emperor's goals to be met

-Space and the stars are the Emperor's sea and must be protected

Opinions and suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...
Shameless bump.

Please make any comments or suggestions on the bullets posted above.

while this is a really short post reading through all the bullet points i think it all sounds very good and convinving, under water cities are always fun. Great Chapter badge and i like the chapter helmets. I look forward to it becoming a full article

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to start a few sections for my IA, please tear them apart. Also, I'll be including notes in several sections, these will be edited into full paragraphs, please be patient, as I am busy with that annoying thing most of us know as real life.

Origins

Homeworld

The Krakemarines operate from the water world of Charybdis, bordering on the Ghoul Stars. It serves as the perfect point from which they can strike against upstart Waaaghs from the greenskin threat. The few cities on the worlds surface are either on islands which are truly the summits of submerged mountains and plateaus or on the floating islands that litter the sky. These floating islands can only be reached by airships, and as such the people of the world make great use of them. The floating islands are gaseous structures studied since the worlds discovery by the Adeptus Mechanicus who believe them to contain ancient anti-gravity technology. In addition to its rich surface, many treasures litter the world's sea floor. These treasures are millennium old and many date back to the Great Crusade.

The world was first conquered during the Great Crusade. In a past millennium the world was covered in mountainous continents and vast seas. Great architects and engineers carved beautiful cities into the sides of mountains and plateaus. Many artists made beautiful pieces to decorate the vertical cities. When the Imperium arrived, Charybdis's governemnts joined peacefully and without hesitation. The coming of the Imperium brought many new operations to Charybids. Large mining drills were brought from distant Forge Worlds to excavate valuable minerals. Many of these minerals were exported to worlds across the Imperium, but many more fell into the hands of Charybdis's artists. These new treasures incited a cultural renaissance among the people. Many new artists arose, and their pieces, pottery, sculptures, and paintings, were exported, bringing great fame to the world.

Many in the Adeptus Mechanicus took an interest in the world, but none more so than Magos Nero. The Magos visited the world several times during the Great Crusade. In those visits, he aided in the construction of several buildings, studied the floating islands, and during leisure time made many works of art, his most famous being the sixteen krake helms used by the chapter. In his visits he stayed in the residence of famous Architect, Steffan Parlal. During his longest stay, Nero was with Parlal for almost a decade. After leaving for a final time, he left all of his art with Parlal as a gift of gratitude.

During the Horus Heresy, millions of invading traitor guardsmen descended upon the world. Many were stopped by the world's surface defense lasers and lunar batteries, however, the world was still overrun. A great deal of fighting took place in the world's canyons. In desperation, all mining drills were used to melt the worlds ice caps. The action killed almost the entirety of the invading force, but at a great cost. More than ninety percent of the world's glorious cities were submerged and the treasures that were once housed in them were washed out, down to the world's surface.

Charybdis has six satellites. Syclla Prime, Scylla Secundus, Scylla Tricus, Scylla Quadcus, Scylla Pentcus, and Scylla Hexcus. The moons all serve as gun platforms, they are operated by Adeptus Mechanicus Priests and Adepts. The satellite lasers have been in service since the mid years of the Grat Crusade. They played a great role in defending the world from traitors during the Horus Heresy and in the past they have served to destroy many Ork rocks, obliterating entire Waaaghs before they could reach the Imperium.

Even in its current age, Charybdis is still very much like it was millennium ago. The world's PDF operates using airships and boats to transport troops. Charybdis's Planetary Governor keeps a large number of soldiers in reserve, for the threat of an Ork Waaagh is ever looming. In addition to this, many independent pirates and privateers operate to raid neighboring nations. The artistic blood of Old Charybdis still runs strong through its modern citizens. Sculptors and painters always make fresh works for the world's governing bodies and rich houses to enjoy. In the cities many citizens make a living harvesting fish from the now vast oceans.

Strabo Barbarossa's Second Company

-Second Company Captain

-Ship warp defenses fail

-Company fights off endless hordes of daemons

-Marines begin to suffer from mutations

-Foolhardy marines unceremoniously amputate their limbs, much to Apothecary's disdain (untidy cuts, etc.)

-Captain Barbarossa's mutations; has apothecary amputate limbs

-Reemerge in real space; Fourth Company Captain Filo Howl, Master of the Fleet, rotation on Charybids

-Close friendship between Howl and Barbarossa

-Barbarossa wishes to leave on his own penance crusade

-Howl gives Barbarossa a strike cruiser, some of Howls marines volunteer to go with Barbarossa

-Barbarossa and his marines paint their armor black “A black mark upon the Chapter”

-Fly into the Ghoul Stars

-Astos Narrick*

The Great Schism

*Guesses anyone* ? :P

If your still looking for stuff on your cult I could throw a suggestion or two in.

Maybe they respect the Librarians "because" they wear blue armor? They see blue as an unlucky color right? well maybe one reason they respect the Librarians so much is because they go into battle wearing tons of blue, yet still manage to be effective, they see wearing blue as challenging themselves. When a Marine wears blue and dies perhaps heir brothers will pray/chant/say "the blue, it finally got 'im." This could also mix with the Sea taking a sailor, since they let the body out to sea it would be appropriate to say that don't you think?

You could even keep this funeral practice in their belief. when a marine dies, his brothers make every attempt to recover his body. when they do they evac it to the ship for geneseed removal and maybe some necessary pieces of armor from him that cannot be lost from the Chapter. Then he is ceremoniously ejected from the ship in a small drop pod like device wielding his favored weapon. They believe this practice, sends the marine into space to fight his enemies, even in death. Also they believe that as long as this ceremony takes place the marine after him will be just as or better, stronger, faster, then the original marine. They believe this helps strengthen the chapter and if gives the brothers a sense that death only strengthens their chapter so they don't fear it.

Maybe add Barbarossa's crew idea from PotC 1 into the Legion of the Damned if you ever use them, it would make for some seriously awesome modeling like have them look like normal marines in the light and LotD marines in the dark?

They could say their superstitious simply on the fact that life is too unpredictable on its own, so the marines look for signs that show the future. When they do find that sign they "legalize" it as an omen or what have you. Perhaps since red mornings = bad you could have your marines very unwilling to fight a battle around a red star?

Maybe give your Landspeeders a little anchor on it? That would look cool, and have one with a leader on top looking like a piratey/Space Marine version of George Washington crossing the Delaware, except with a bolt pistol and chainsword :P

Oh as far as a name I'm not a huge fan of either. Krake sounds like a typo of Kraken or like Crack. Man o' Wars sounds wierd too. Something like the Wake-Marines? like Wake from a ship or Wake island. Storm Tridents? They like using those don't they? The Seamen? Everyone will laugh at your name but it would make sense.

I got this off Wikipedia Pirates readily accepted outcasts from traditional societies, perhaps easily recognizing kindred spirits, and they were known to welcome them into the pirate fold. I think you know where to get your recruits for your chapter ;)

Oh if its one or the other I prefer the Man o' Wars, but You really should look into something else.

If your still looking for stuff on your cult I could throw a suggestion or two in.

Maybe they respect the Librarians "because" they wear blue armor? They see blue as an unlucky color right? well maybe one reason they respect the Librarians so much is because they go into battle wearing tons of blue, yet still manage to be effective, they see wearing blue as challenging themselves. When a Marine wears blue and dies perhaps heir brothers will pray/chant/say "the blue, it finally got 'im." This could also mix with the Sea taking a sailor, since they let the body out to sea it would be appropriate to say that don't you think?

You could even keep this funeral practice in their belief. when a marine dies, his brothers make every attempt to recover his body. when they do they evac it to the ship for geneseed removal and maybe some necessary pieces of armor from him that cannot be lost from the Chapter. Then he is ceremoniously ejected from the ship in a small drop pod like device wielding his favored weapon. They believe this practice, sends the marine into space to fight his enemies, even in death. Also they believe that as long as this ceremony takes place the marine after him will be just as or better, stronger, faster, then the original marine. They believe this helps strengthen the chapter and if gives the brothers a sense that death only strengthens their chapter so they don't fear it.

I like both of these ideas and will do my best to integrate them into the Chapter Cult. Thanks a ton. Especially like that second one.

Maybe add Barbarossa's crew idea from PotC 1 into the Legion of the Damned if you ever use them, it would make for some seriously awesome modeling like have them look like normal marines in the light and LotD marines in the dark?

Maybe, they're more mutated than corrupt though.

They could say their superstitious simply on the fact that life is too unpredictable on its own, so the marines look for signs that show the future. When they do find that sign they "legalize" it as an omen or what have you. Perhaps since red mornings = bad you could have your marines very unwilling to fight a battle around a red star?

Yes.

Maybe give your Landspeeders a little anchor on it? That would look cool, and have one with a leader on top looking like a piratey/Space Marine version of George Washington crossing the Delaware, except with a bolt pistol and chainsword ;)

Anchor, I don't think so. There's a difference between reason and mindlessness. Space Wolves wear pelts because initiation involves killing a wolf on Fenris. Iron Hands have bionics because their beliefs revolve around "The flesh is weak." Pirates like to be flashy, but there isn't much flashy about an anchor.

The commander idea is cool and I'll find a way to do that conversion when I make an army of these guys.

Oh as far as a name I'm not a huge fan of either. Krake sounds like a typo of Kraken or like Crack. Man o' Wars sounds wierd too. Something like the Wake-Marines? like Wake from a ship or Wake island. Storm Tridents? They like using those don't they? The Seamen? Everyone will laugh at your name but it would make sense.

Something simple like

"The Navigators"

"The Brigands"

"The Death Heads"

"The Impressors"

"The Jack Tars"

They're pirates, flowery names with colors and symbolic terms seem out of place.

I think A_POINTED_STICK hit the nail on the head with a couple of his. I like the Death Heads. I guess someone remembered the bit about terror markings on the helmets :D . Though, to be fair, Krake means twisted. Twisted marines isn't far off from these guys between infighting, competition, assassinations, and all that jazz.

I got this off Wikipedia Pirates readily accepted outcasts from traditional societies, perhaps easily recognizing kindred spirits, and they were known to welcome them into the pirate fold. I think you know where to get your recruits for your chapter :)

From the most capable young boys on Charybdis?

Oh if its one or the other I prefer the Man o' Wars, but You really should look into something else.

Agreed.

As secondary notes, and I'd love suggestions:

- I want to include red markings, such as those on the White Scars into the Chapter. Unfortunately my marines come from a world which has a set civilized and artistic mindset. How could I include this?

- What's your opinion on the home world? What needs to be expanded on and changed?

- Astos Narrick is a stuck up fool, similar to a pre heresy Lucius. However, no matter how stuck up you are, you're not going to be chasing your predecessor just because he has a fancy hat that connects to a title. Motivation needs to be added, suggestions? If information is needed: Narrick is a first company veteran, Barbarossa is the Second Company Captain.

- I want the marines to chain their weapons to their wrists similar to Black Templars. Unfortunately, I don't have any real motivation for this. Templars do it to show their faith, and to be honest I haven't really decided how faithful the marines are. Opinions? Should I strengthen the marines' faith?

- Random input, opinions, suggestions, and whatnot are all welcome. Please tell me anything that you dislike or would change.

Maybe give your Landspeeders a little anchor on it? That would look cool, and have one with a leader on top looking like a piratey/Space Marine version of George Washington crossing the Delaware, except with a bolt pistol and chainsword :)

Anchor, I don't think so. There's a difference between reason and mindlessness. Space Wolves wear pelts because initiation involves killing a wolf on Fenris. Iron Hands have bionics because their beliefs revolve around "The flesh is weak." Pirates like to be flashy, but there isn't much flashy about an anchor

Don't quote me on this, but I believe in heraldry the anchor is the symbol for steadfast faith. That might be worth looking up.

"The Navigators"

That's taken by, well, the Navigators. :cry:

Unfortunately my marines come from a world which has a set civilized and artistic mindset. How could I include this?

Well that all depends on the mindset in place. You have to remember that despite any cultural psychology or established traditions and ways of thinking that soldiers, warriors especially (there is a difference, but I won't clutter up the thread here) are always a sub-culture unto themselves. Therefore there are separate traditions and cultural mindsets involved. Even within military organizations there are sub-cultures within sub-cultures.

Your justification for such markings can therefore come from a varied selection of sources, depending on what you decide would best fit with your chapter and the baseline culture they are derived from.

Perhaps if you explain the reasoning behind the markings, and what you had in mind I'd be better able to give you advice that wasn't so vague in nature.

Good to see your still keeping up with this King. I can't wait to see the finished product. :P

Maybe give your Landspeeders a little anchor on it? That would look cool, and have one with a leader on top looking like a piratey/Space Marine version of George Washington crossing the Delaware, except with a bolt pistol and chainsword :)

Anchor, I don't think so. There's a difference between reason and mindlessness. Space Wolves wear pelts because initiation involves killing a wolf on Fenris. Iron Hands have bionics because their beliefs revolve around "The flesh is weak." Pirates like to be flashy, but there isn't much flashy about an anchor

Don't quote me on this, but I believe in heraldry the anchor is the symbol for steadfast faith. That might be worth looking up.

:unsure: Well, according to the internet, you're right. But if Assassin's Creed is to be believed anyone can publish anything so you, and everyone else for that matter, could very easily be wrong :lol: . It's also a symbol of hope, and showed that a sailor was experienced. Looks like I just got another bit of heraldry to add. sgtNACHO, I apologize for my stupidity.

Unfortunately my marines come from a world which has a set civilized and artistic mindset. How could I include this?

Well that all depends on the mindset in place. You have to remember that despite any cultural psychology or established traditions and ways of thinking that soldiers, warriors especially (there is a difference, but I won't clutter up the thread here) are always a sub-culture unto themselves. Therefore there are separate traditions and cultural mindsets involved. Even within military organizations there are sub-cultures within sub-cultures.

Your justification for such markings can therefore come from a varied selection of sources, depending on what you decide would best fit with your chapter and the baseline culture they are derived from.

Perhaps if you explain the reasoning behind the markings, and what you had in mind I'd be better able to give you advice that wasn't so vague in nature.

What I had in mind was basically the red jags and triangles that the White Scars used. In all honesty, the main purpose in the idea was to add color. I imagine the markings being something like campaign badges or signs of achievement. The sad part is that I really don't get a singular cultural vibe from the marines. I see French and Italian in the idea of art and I see those two as well as Islander/ Caribbean in the privateers.

Two questions I would like to ask:

First: How does Death Heads sound as a name?

Second: Captain Strabo Barbarossa, I really don't want to have a captain named 'Red Beard' for no other reason than it seems unimaginative, like I just used Google to find pirate names and plastered one on (which I did). I still want to keep the gist of the name, so should I change it to Barbossa like in the PotC movies, change it to something else with the same ring, or leave it since it has started to grow on me since the idea of the Second Company came about?

First: Your stupidity was unrecognized, since I didn't even know any of that stuff, I just though you should make your land speeders look like Pirate Landing Dingy's, you know those little row boats they use to get to islands with. I'm glad I gave you some heraldry though :unsure:

Second: Deaths Head doesn't sound like a Marine chapter, definitely a Battlebarge or something, but not the chapter itself. How about the Brotherhood of Fortune? a nice term for Pirates was Gentlemen o' Fortune, so I think "Brotherhood of" is a good Space marine like replacement.

Third: I agree Barbarossa will automatically bring up the PotC thing, which I don't think you want that close a reference. Maybe Captain Strabo Bowen? or simply Captain Strabo.

sgtNACHO, I think that you're halfway asleep or my point wasn't really getting across.

On the chapter name it's Death Heads not Deaths head.

Second, Barbarossa is Red Beard. Barbossa is the captain from PotC. The former is the current name of the Captain. The latter is a possible change. Should I make the change, keep it, or change it to something else?

By the way, one of your previous statements:

I got this off Wikipedia Pirates readily accepted outcasts from traditional societies, perhaps easily recognizing kindred spirits, and they were known to welcome them into the pirate fold. I think you know where to get your recruits for your chapter :P

that one, got me thinking. It made me think about having multiple worlds that the recruits draw from, leading to me wanting to make the Chapter fleet based. This led to me thinking about Star Ocean, Treasure Planet and, oddly, Kirby: The Crystal Shards.

Somehow my thinking managed to engulf the idea of tragedy in the Chapter, not to the extent of the Lementers, but something similar to the Crimson Fists. I absorbed a few scenes that I remember vividly from PotC At World's End, notably, the waterfall.

The idea was that some point after the Horus Heresy, a large Waaagh attack Charybdis, tore through the lunar batteries and the surface batteries and split the world. Basically this leaves the world in multiple chunks all still in the atmosphere. The floating islands are more free to move around. the Adeptus Mechanicus can have actual facilities in the debris. The Fortress Monastery, which was watertight, is found by the chapter and is built upon into a single large base, think the Phalanx but not void capable.

Debris sails around. Previous rivalry between members of separate social standing (pirates/ artists) changes to include rivalry between descendants of separate chunks. Also, the chunks are connected by unstable rivers, allowing ships to literally sail off of the water and into the atmosphere/ void. Those who can sail around on airships to prevent sailing off.

Is this idea good, bad, or just plain ugly?

Mostly asleep :D

I like the idea, although I have heard a few. Planet=blown up. So we is going to have floating islands, and we all live in our Yellow Fortress Monastery so we is okay now, living in atmosphere :D I don't mean to ridicule you at all, but have heard it a few times especially after the vespid came out.

Maybe say your planet has gravity fluctuations and sometimes pulls in large asteroids and such, so it has stuff rolling around in low orbit or in the atmosphere.

You could say that instead of the orks splitting the planet, which I didn't quite get, say they tore in there and just destroyed everything. But they can't go underwater (to get at the marines) so they send all their junk into space "the're trash collectin orks." But the orks either leave without most of the debris, or they get destroyed before they do leave, so now there is all sorts of rock and junk metal in space smashing into each other creating mini metal atmospheric moons.

I dunno but maybe something a little different than "their planet got blown up and there are islands of rock with people on them :)"

as far as those names, "Details details :P " Death Heads is better, maybe Death Skulls? Exterminated Brains? Barbarossa/barbossa same thing to many people ( like myself before you said anything) either way something away from Bar's and Ossa's might e a smart investment :)

Archived