Sisters in APOC!

ArmouredWing

Here's an interesting little piece of info I've been given from my good friend and WD subscriber Storm Bringer.

The latest White Dwarf has got an apoc battle with a sizeable prescence from the Sisters and including an Apoc Exorcist formation named 'Divine Judgement'. Apparently they put up a good fight in it as well rather than just being 'stomped' by some ork super heavies.

Should be on the shelves soon if not already.

About :cussing time really :)

Hehehe, but seriously, this is the first news on more Sisters stuff in a long while. It's good to hear. Perhaps I'll combine my Sisters, Imperial Guard, and Orks forces to get involved in a small apoc game (I had to sell a lot of models in order to make it through the month, because I still haven't found a job x.x)

Filthy heretical lies! I'll believe this when I see it, until then I'll have to burn you just to be safe. You understand, I'm sure.

Well, I've been meaning to get a box of Guardsmen so I'll have to head on in to GW and see because like all sensible people I don't have a WD subscription.

Here's an interesting little piece of info I've been given from my good friend and WD subscriber Storm Bringer.

The latest White Dwarf has got an apoc battle with a sizeable prescence from the Sisters and including an Apoc Exorcist formation named 'Divine Judgement'. Apparently they put up a good fight in it as well rather than just being 'stomped' by some ork super heavies.

Should be on the shelves soon if not already.

So for those of us without a handy White Dwarf can you share with us what this formation does in general terms?

Yay nuns! are they preparing to get people fired up for something about the sisters? good marketing pitch to me. and I also heard the Black Templars were in the battle as well. I know I'll be picking it up once I get paid.

And that's awful Melissia. how could you sell anything your 40K arsenal? That's the last thing I'd do unless they were really old and crappy (like my 3rd edition rhino's. Ork player's, they'll buy anything)

In comparison to the size of the battle, I'm not sure I'd say it was a "sizable force". They put up a fairly good fight, but sorry guys, it wasn't anything that special, the batrep focussed on the superheavies, specifically the stompas. The Templars were in it, as were pretty much every other imperial force in existence, except the grey knights annoyingly.

Edit- Just grabbed my dwarf, and, as far as I can tell, this is what the sisters had- about 6 units of normal sisters, cannoness and 5 friends, some jumpers (celestians? Can't remember what they're called, sorry), some sisters repentia, living saint, 8 tanks, I think it's 3 immolators, 2 rhinos and 3 exorcists, though I could be completely wrong here. If you don't count the drop pods they had a better showing than the Ultramarines though.

Celestians are the elite CC focused shooty girls; Seraphim are the Jump-packers taking it down John-Woo style with the pistols akimbo.

And Repentia? Evidently t'wasn't a serious game. You can fit an extra Hellhammer for the same price of a full squad of repentia and it will be infinitely more useful.

Maybe if the Repenta could deep strike and assault on the turn they land (Because they're deader than dead if they can't)

And that's awful Melissia. how could you sell anything your 40K arsenal?
When your bank acccount balance reads $8.17 USD and you don't have a job, you'll sell what you must.

Still, I didn't sell any of my Order of the Sapphire Blade... just the remnants of my Order of the Shadowed Heart, my older scrapped order that I still haven't repainted.

It wasn't on sale when I podded into GW yesterday, but the staff were kind enough to let me give it a read. As was mentioned, the SoB weren't talked about much though they did put in a solid performance from what I read.

They were allied into a SM force and were mechanised with some healthy Rhino/Immo and Exo support. I don't think it's the herald of a new era or anything like that as it was really nothing more than a guy allying some in SoB who just happened to be taking part in a WD battle from what I saw - but better than nothing.

I would have posted earlier, but when I returned home I found DoW II had arrived :blush:

Interestingly enough, although the game itself isn't very fluffy, it does mention the fluff quite a bit and accurately too. The Death Watch is referenced, the =][= is in the Manual and the SoB even get a mention too!

I think it's fairly obvious to say that the original DoW raised 40k's profile quite a bit, so as with the WD a little bit of attention can't be a bad thing. For the record though, I still don't think WD is worth buying.

Ah, nothing special-- they didn't even mention any special apoc rules for the Sisters that might have been used? Meh, it's like thinking you'll get a nice steak, but instead getting a single strip of unspiced beef jerky.

I wish GW would consider giving me reason to spend my money on their products. No such luck though... maybe with C:IG comes out... maybe.

Ah, nothing special-- they didn't even mention any special apoc rules for the Sisters that might have been used? Meh, it's

like thinking you'll get a nice steak, but instead getting a single strip of unspiced beef jerky.

Feel you there. However, I do feel grateful for after nearly a 5 year exodus from WD we make a return and with not that bad results either. Might inspire some people simply because they haven't seen this army before or seen it in combat.

I wish GW would consider giving me reason to spend my money on their products. No such luck though... maybe with C:IG comes out... maybe.

They give plenty of reasons. It is wheter or not you believe them. I just finished a game and this guy I had never met was talking about his collection and saying, "Oh yeah, I'm not used to these small 2000pt games. I mean, I can field up to 40000." And I was like, "You mean 4000 right?" and he was like "40000. I started collecting in 1987." So that got me thinking that GW has the extra ordinary task of trying to combat market saturation. They have to give us good reason to buy their products years and years to come, even though it cost us a fortune and they will last forever. Unfortunately, that results in unbalance game play and blatant trends (serious, any new unit that comes out is like super amazing and to not take it is idiotic). I think IG is going to be stock full of goodies and that is just good new for when =I= comes out because everyone will want to play us...and that is ok, I can tell the roadies from the real thing.

They give plenty of reasons.
Oh? Perhaps you could list some? I don'ts ee any. All they're doing is trying to sell marines, maeines, oh, and more marines.

Immagine trying to sell a honda civic to a socer mom with four kids, or to a worker who needs to cart around a lot of stuff in his vehicle. Not gonna work, no matter how popular civics are, they just aren't what that section of customers wants. And so they are not giving me any reason to buy their products, because they are not attempting to sell something I want. If honda acted like GW in regards to how it markets and sells cars, quite frankly I think it'd go out of business.

They give plenty of reasons.
Oh? Perhaps you could list some? I don'ts ee any. All they're doing is trying to sell marines, maeines, oh, and more marines.

Plastic Valkrie. The Nob Sprues. Chaos Knights. Stegadon. Baneblade (not for the tank but for the commisar). I mean, all of these things are amazing and not related to space marines (some not even in the same system). But they are beautifully sculpted and just encourage you to take them and find a way to incorporate them into your army or start a new one. I actually heard of a guy who was considering making Rhinos out Stegadons because he could make them look like rhinos. I am hard pressed to find a miniature manufacturer that makes higher quality product then they do and that is all the reason right there. It is obvious that they give a good share of the glory to Space Marines but they are the "first born" and they have been very good as of late giving love to the other armies.

Speaking of sharing the love, I just finished reading the battle report and it was a pretty awesome battle. Don't know how functional it would of been in real life but they still gave an artful battle report. More than that, they were very good in spreading the coverage between the SM, IG and Sisters. And even better, the report on them is great, they mention how their melta guns were real winners in bring down some of the 9 stompas on the field, Serephim swooping in to aid clearing an objective, note (but no details yet) the "Battle Sisters Exorcist formation, the Divine Judgement Squadron" and about a warboss who had killed a Warhound himself, survive two rounds of intense shooting from IG and tanks, an icn cannon blast from space to be finally brought down by an exorcist. Not a bad return at all.

They have to give us good reason to buy their products years and years to come, even though it cost us a fortune and they will last forever.

not really as their focus group is young players that start to build armies[bought by their parents mostlly] , not vets . Sales it what makes them going and max they can do to vets [and vet for GW is anyone who players longer then 1 year] is change the list and force them to buy new stuff and even then they have people like me who dont really care because we sit on tons of models for many armies and we can always make 1 working army out of it . Just look at the rules we have now . For noobs or people that start to play they are really nice . You dont know how something works/is you roll , there is no errata [as FAQs are suddenlly unofficial] , as noobs dont really know much about the game and its meta/game rules side [as they go for the shiny new stuff] they dont care if an army like SoB has rhinos different from the sm ones ? Now for the vets it is kind of a sucktastic when there is stuff you can explain any other way then "dont take it because no one knows how it works".

As your apo and huge battle goes . Remember , not everyone plays in UK or US . There is a lot of places with big playgroups or fandoms , that dont have clubs or GW shops [or in the case of non US much smaller flats]. Apo in eastern Europe is dead and in France or Germany [dont know about other EU coutries] apo is rarelly played . Saying that you guys may not have normal rules , but can use the IG/SM stuff in apo doesnt help those people much.

Plastic Valkrie. The Nob Sprues. Chaos Knights. Stegadon. Baneblade

thats models . Now ask how IG players [that dont have/use the leaked pdf] find 5th right now , specially the kill points missions . Ask how chaos players how they feel looking at their beastman armies ? Stegandons are a nice change from the skin swarm army [that was both lame for the lizardman players and hated by a lot of players too] , but you must remember that the old stegadon model was [am not totally sure here] the really , really old one from the time of bretonia/lizardman edtion . Its like saying that the 4th ed was so uber because sm players got a new rhino . GW need models that carry the book [rhinos/AC-models etc] , they dont make it make vets happy.

And baneblades are cool and all , but illegal for normal size games .

Am a bit with melisa here . GW make a totally metal armies , give 0 support to them and then say that SoB/GK are niche armies . The only difference between me and melisa is that I know , that GW never planed to make INQ real armies no matter what they say now [specially the GK ]. So am not taking it so hard and I will not take it as hard when they phase INQ armies out or do something very close to it . [at least for the 5th ed].

Yeah, all those are nice models, but they aren't Sisters models, and that's what I primarilly play. My Ork and Imperial Guard armies are secondary, especially in this economy. So tell me, why should a Sisters player care about any of these?

Also Jeske, the difference between you and I is that I don't consider the Sisters to be an Inquisition army int he first place. I think codex: Witch Hunters was a mistake that made the Sisters end up recieving even less support than they would have.

They have to give us good reason to buy their products years and years to come, even though it cost us a fortune and they will last forever.

not really as their focus group is young players that start to build armies[bought by their parents mostlly] , not vets . Sales it what makes them going and max they can do to vets [and vet for GW is anyone who players longer then 1 year] is change the list and force them to buy new stuff...

B) So we agree then? They have a harder time selling to vets and so have to mess with things. Yeah. I guess I am not as passionate about it because I haven't had an army invalidated because of this...and I am on an IG high.

Plastic Valkrie. The Nob Sprues. Chaos Knights. Stegadon. Baneblade

thats models . Now ask how IG players [that dont have/use the leaked pdf] find 5th right now , specially the kill points missions . Ask how chaos players how they feel looking at their beastman armies ?

Ask me why I don't play my Grey Knights anymore. I know what it feels like to have an army put to the side and have less love than it should. And I don't see how your points apply to what I said: Reasons to buy stuff. All that I stated came (or will come) with some sort of release that emphasizes and buffs so you will want them. Also, their conversion possibilities or simply their beauty and a desire to paint them (which for a lot of people is enough to buy them, they don't bother learning how to play). I thought of one more reason: Apocalypse formations. Easy way to save money and start/build up an army, even if you don't play it.

And baneblades are cool and all , but illegal for normal size games .

Not the Baneblade, the COMMISSAR! PAULDRONS! POWERSWORD! RAWR!

Am a bit with melisa here . GW make a totally metal armies , give 0 support to them and then say that SoB/GK are niche armies . The only difference between me and melisa is that I know , that GW never planed to make INQ real armies no matter what they say now [specially the GK ]. So am not taking it so hard and I will not take it as hard when they phase INQ armies out or do something very close to it . [at least for the 5th ed].

...We weren't talking about Sisters of Battle...or Grey Knights. Simply models that are not the blue glory boys in power armour. I can see why you are bitter with GW over the last few years, but I would like to have faith that they can redeem themselves in some ways and we not rag on them even when they include a force, which had been largely neglected, into their 350th White Dwarf. And lighten up, we are supposed to get some goodies for Planet Strike. Maybe that is when they can tell us what this Exorcist formation is.....gah!

Yeah, all those are nice models, but they aren't Sisters models, and that's what I primarilly play. My Ork and Imperial Guard armies are secondary, especially in this economy. So tell me, why should a Sisters player care about any of these?

Ah, so the truth comes out. Well, if that is all you care about, then you shouldn't...unless you wanted to make a really cool techno-exorcist from Valkyrie pats...or cool anti-ork basing...or a fire breathing stegedon/immolator! RAWR! Sisters could ride on top of that right? But you are right, they aren't coming out with anything sister specific, not until a new codex and to have that much devotion (or lack of the ADD that most of us have) for a single army is quite exceptional. But they still do give reasons, just ones that don't apply to you...yet. Well, like I said above, hopefully this Apoc battle is going to get some sisters some lovin' in the future and we'll have to see what planet strike holds for us, since it is supposed to have something for each army.

Oh, and did anyone notice the old Order of the Sacred Rose Immolator...whew, glad they redid that back then. BIG improvement and real cool looking now.

Actually, I find that most people playing GW games are between 20 and 40, with very few below 20. Why? Money. Its an expensive hobby, one that the average parent is loath to drop money on in any economy. In the last tournament I attended, not one of the players was below the age of 17, and all of them had jobs and were fielding armies they had been building for awhile. Those that had more recently purchased armies also had the armies professionally assembled and painted; they were lawyers, doctors, and other business professionals. There were 2nd Ed models being fielded by the older crowd, and there where "army of the month" models being fielded by the younger crowd.

I, myself, have 2nd Ed pieces (Sisters, Marines, Guard, Necrons) and have just gotten back into the game since 3rd first came out. I'm in my mid 30's, started in my mid to late leens. The only pieces I've purchased recently are models that did not exist when I started (Grey Knights), or came out during the last 10 years that replaced models I had never purchased when I was younger (ie; Land Raiders). What has GW produced lately that I want? Stormlord, for my Sisters.

I haven't read the new WD article, yet I'm happy that Sisters got some time in print. What I would like to know, though, is what the Exercist formation Datafax does, if it was published in that WD or will it be on-line/in an Apoc suppliment, and is it worth playing?

SJ

Part of the problem is that the Sisters haven't appeared in White Dwarf for a very long time now (I have a subscription, x-mas present), as far as I can tell from my collection, more then two years.

It is GW own magazine and yet we don't see them.

Vth edition comes and whilst every army is getting photos published and everyone got an article on how they play in 5th edition. All except Sisters of Battle, Grey Knights and the =][=.

We receive painting article after painting article a conversion article and lo and behold. Still nothing.

I want to know how to paint realistic GK Metallic Grey, how GW picks out all the hidden detail of a Sisters miniature and, most importantly, how to convert a single piece metallic mini like a battle sister.

All I got, continuously got was Orks are green, Ultrasmurphs are blue, did you know that because SPASSE MAHREENS are lovely multi-part plastic kits you can convert them with ease.

What GW could have done is had a datasheet or two for apoc or a conversion article, a miniature showcase, a fluff piece, JJ even register that fans sent him letters and emails questioning him about the Inquisition last year in his own little Editorial Article.

All we have after two years most probably four (since the month after C: WH was released) of waiting is a few squads and tanks in a single battle report that takes place over four tables.

Using what may or may not be a datasheet for the sisters and nothing else.

I gave up of DE because the exact same treatment. I don't want to, but I'll probably give up on Sisters to in the next year or two. Especially if this is the hight of recognition we receive in such a long time.

And the Planetstrike thing? Wasn't Apoc and Apoc: Reloaded meant to have something for everyone?

I'm not done with my little ladies, not in the foreseeable future. I was really pissed when Codex: Witch Hunters came out, enough that I gave up playing 40K for 10 years. Yet they are they main reason I've decided to come back into the fold again. I love the look and the feel of the Sisters of Battle army. Indeed, while I'm expanding to include Grey Knights as well, it's mostly due to the low model count being less expensive than revamping my Sisters with up to date vehicles.

SJ

Archived