Russ on the new cover...

Skirax

Ok, time to wade in here with my several pints of ALE!

Firstly, given Blizzard has spent the past 15 or so years determinedly ripping off GW's IP, it's probably more accurate to say Frostmourne is a copy of Mjalnar.

Secondly, with the exception of two small details I like the cover.

1. Freki and Greki don't look like Wolves. This is the worst bit. I have no objection to them looking more monstery than, say the pathetic Harry Potter dog or a Golden Retriever but they look like the malformed offspring of a breeding experiment between a pitball, a lion and a brick proverbial. Just look wrong to me.

2. The proportions are all off... why are the Sisters so tall? So far, I can only put it down to serious platform shoes problems.

Ok, time to wade in here with my several pints of ALE!

Firstly, given Blizzard has spent the past 15 or so years determinedly ripping off GW's IP, it's probably more accurate to say Frostmourne is a copy of Mjalnar.

Secondly, with the exception of two small details I like the cover.

1. Freki and Greki don't look like Wolves. This is the worst bit. I have no objection to them looking more monstery than, say the pathetic Harry Potter dog or a Golden Retriever but they look like the malformed offspring of a breeding experiment between a pitball, a lion and a brick proverbial. Just look wrong to me.

Okay. Let's look at this.

Horus Heresy took place in M31, right? So that's around the year 30,000. Your perception of what a wolf looks like is based on the wolves of 2008 Terra. Fenrisian wolves of the year 30,000 probably look much different.

THIS being said. It's entirely possible that the Fenrisian Wolves that fight alongside the Space Wolves go through some form of genetic conditioning, almost like the Space Wolves themselves. Seriously, take a regular Fenrisian Wolf and it probably won't be able to bite through armor plating, or knock down a Space Marine or whatever.

Yes, I'm aware of the wolf pelt right in the middle of them. God knows what's really going on. I don't care anyway.

2. The proportions are all off... why are the Sisters so tall? So far, I can only put it down to serious platform shoes problems.

Aie.. this is driving me nuts. PERCEPTION, peoples. Russ is running out in front, like we all know he would. He's leading the charge, the others are just piled in behind him. The Sisters probably do have some really weird boot issues, though. Either that, OR there's supposed to be rocks and debris and stuff on the battlefield, which DOES happen to be quite common on battlefields.

While its true Blizzard seem to "steel" from GW, the depiction of Mjalnar seen on the cover was more or less introduced in the CCG/Art book and every depiction I've seen of it before that looked like a chainsword.

Edit: don't know how that made it past the spell check.

While its true Blizzard seem to "steel" from GW, the depiction of Mjalnar seen on the cover was more or less introduced in the CCG/Art book and every dipistion I've seen of it before that looked like a chainsword.

Y'know, what irritates me isn't the possibility that GW borrowed ideas, its that if it was anything but WoW this would be a non-issue. Why? WoW-Kiddies. If it looked like Aragorn's sword, people would say, "Hey, that looks like Aragorn's sword, wonder if it was intentional? Who knows?" But these WoW-kiddies don't know that Warhammer was old before Warcraft even was a twinkle in its momma's eye, which also happens to be Warhammer. If its intentional, who cares? If it isn't, who cares? Go back to your lame legions (not you Salamanders) and stop ragging on my book.

Y'know, what irritates me isn't the possibility that GW borrowed ideas, its that if it was anything but WoW this would be a non-issue. Why? WoW-Kiddies. If it looked like Aragorn's sword, people would say, "Hey, that looks like Aragorn's sword, wonder if it was intentional? Who knows?" But these WoW-kiddies don't know that Warhammer was old before Warcraft even was a twinkle in its momma's eye, which also happens to be Warhammer. If its intentional, who cares? If it isn't, who cares? Go back to your lame legions (not you Salamanders) and stop ragging on my book.

Couldn't agree more, though the old discusions on where GW drew its insperation from used to be fun.

Couldn't agree more, though the old discusions on where GW drew its insperation from used to be fun.

Oh I love hearing the influences, I mean Konrad Curze is a great one. A lot of them are interesting and actually can give you more insight into your own legion. But this one really isn't that viable, and really a moot point anyway.

Archived