A whole lotta WIP

Badaab

Hey gang,

Just to prove that I'm not dead, haven't given up on the hobby, and simply procrastinating- here are some WIP pics of what's currently been on, and around my desk. Brief descriptions follow the pics. Bear in mind that a lot of these are *very* WIP, and I'm posting for comments, criticism, etc. Also, the pics aren't of the highest quality, as these aren't yet final products, and I don't really have the time at hand to take the time to set up my entire photo studio...

gallery_3864_1776_56332.jpg

A replacement sergeant for my Tactical Squad, since it will be a fire support role squad, and having a sergeant with a power sword and bolt pistol made little to no sense. Still needs final highlighting, a backpack, and insignias (in addition to finished basing).

gallery_3864_1776_103478.jpg

Another member of the Tactical Squad, this time with a heavy bolter. This is the older metal and plastic hybrid model. All he needs are final highlights, insignias, and basing to be finished.

gallery_3864_1776_8562.jpg

A Terminator Librarian, with a simple conversion on the force rod, swapping out the aquilla top for the mace top from an older inquisitor model who's name I cannot remember. I felt it looked a little more impressive, and the profile echoes the chapter symbol for the Aurora Chapter. There's a shot of the back of this model in my gallery.

gallery_3864_1776_109630.jpg

A scout conversion. This one is pretty hefty in terms of sculpting and whatnot... I think it came out ok, too. He'll be a member of a 'throwback' squad, featuring mohawks, camo face paint, etc.

gallery_3864_1776_58601.jpg

Company Champion conversion based off a Chaos Warrior model and some plastic SM parts. This model is probably the most complete of the bunch... just really needs an insignia on the right pad- this will happen once I decide what my command squad will have there on all the models. There's a second pic of this over in the gallery as well.

gallery_3864_1776_87871.jpg

gallery_3864_1776_15460.jpg

gallery_3864_1776_76633.jpg

Here are three pics of my Captain, very work in progress when it comes to painting. This is my first attempt at battle-damage on an Aurora Chapter marine, so let me know what you think... the third pic is the back of the model, I'll be putting some latin-esque text into the lighter colored band on the back of the cape. This model will probably be representing Pedro Cantor in my force... but who knows.

gallery_3864_1776_74791.jpg

Lastly, here's a VERY WIP shot of my chapter master, Lord Adahan. He counts as Marneus Calgar- but will have a two-handed sword rather than the Gauntlets of Ultramar. I'm uncertain yet as to the detail on the chest piece, but, like I said, its very work in progress. The left arm I'm still undecided on as well, as I have several sword options to pick from.

:woot: That company champion is just awesome mate. Great use of the CW and SM kits - I may have to 'alf-inch' 'm afraid. The Scout is super cool as well. Nice to see someone covering the Aurora also. Look forward to seeing much, much more!

I cannot claim full credit for the idea behind the champion- I've 'borrowed' the idea from Doghouse, who you might remember had some of these models up a pretty good while ago. I'm not interested in doing a whole force of them or anything, just felt that my champion needed to be a little specialized, so I had a go at converting one.

And, or the record, I've been building Aurora Chapter stuff since, oh... about 1996. :huh:

Thanks for the comments so far, everyone.

*EDIT* wow, 254 views, and a mighty 4 comments besides this one. Perhaps this is why I've scaled back how often I post stuff here.

-Joe

• 2 weeks later...
Man they all look absolutely awesome, But just one thing, The scouts free hand looks odd to me, i cant quite tell if its on backwards, so the thumb is on the outside (if that makes sense) or if its supposed to be laying flat and he has curled his fingers or if its just my eyes

Wow I've never seen an Aurora Chapter army before, these look brilliant. I especially like the Captain for his pose B) The WIP chapter master sounds good, is he going to hold the sword 2 handed or have it resting on a shoulder?

Thanks for the comments, all. I'll try to get things answered as best as possible.

The green is as follows: white spray undercoat, followed by a base of Vallejo Model Color Deep Green. This is shaded with GW Dark Angels Green, followed by a touch up of the Deep Green. Added to the base color is then an older GW color called Emerald Green, and highlighted until 100% of this color. I then add Vallejo Game Color Stonewall Grey to the Emerald Green. The final highlight has a touch of GW Scorpion Green in it.

@Brother Duncs: the helmet on the Champion is a modified plastic helmet, with the MkIV-ish 'beak' part sculpted on. The laurels are also sculpted on.

@Reyner: Adahan will most like have a 2-handed sword, but it'll be only in his right hand, as the left arm is from a Grey Knight Terminator, and I don't really want to hack this bit up for an across the body pose.

@Louie: the scout is holding a bit of leaf/twig in his hand, which might be what looks like fingers. The spray undercoat kind of washes out the details. When I get on painting the model, it'll be a little more obvious what's going on.

-Joe

Have you gone with a darker green for this group Badaab? For some reason I thought your green was brighter in earlier renditions.

Really like the champions helmet.

If you need them we do have 2 sets of Aurora Chapter decals in the downloads area now:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...mp;showfile=268 (clear paper version)

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...mp;showfile=267 (white paper version)

I'd love a guide to that Chapter Champion helmet, myself. :D Very nice, all round.

And I'd love to make one, but I built it at least 18 months ago... so I don't know if I can remember exactly how I made it. We'll see.

@Kurgan: I've changed the mix a little, but part of the reason the models may look darker is because: 1.) I used less lighting as I was just photographing snapshots at the desk, and 2.) many of the models aren't completely finished yet, and are lacking the final highlights that I apply once the model is completely assembled.

Decals, well... I prefer the hand-painted look myself, but I appreciate the information all the same.

-Joe

great work on all the models dude... loving the company champion B) my well try my hand at making a version of that helm... looks soo nice :)

Is that a storm bolter on that power fist? If so could I ask which model its from. I've got a lot of respect for the Aurora Chapter as they share the name of my company lol!

assuming you meant on the guys chapter master, in which case i'm pretty sure its from a grey knight termnator...

Andy

i definatly like the champions helmet varient and consider it stolen fir my mentor legion :D it should fit in well with the new technology side of the fluff.

overall i really like the green and how well it is layered up, i just wish i could paint that well

Archived